Everything In Between by Madcrazychick


Number of reviews: 123
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:
So I had this overwhelming need to update, despite the fact that I think this chapter just might be extremely bad. Ideally, I'd like to think that was an exaggeration, but who knows. I did the format of this chapter like the 'New Beginnings, Old Endings' chapter of "It All Comes Back To..." so hopefully it doesn't seem too random, or too strange. But I am worried. :/

He slept with the light on.

Not all of the time, I'd say just about seven out of ten times he did. And he curled up into a ball and sucked his thumb sometimes too. You would think after years of sleepovers, adults ones and otherwise, that I would have noticed these habits.

But love and sex, changes the way you see peopleā€”changes what, how, and why you see things. I used to be his teddy, the thing he clung to when he was scared. I was his teddy. Was.

Past tense is a hard thing to get used to when your memory can so easily reach back and pull up the file of when it used to be present tense. I don't even know how I got demoted. It wasn't done officially or anything. It just happened one day.

Pregnant.

Iā€™m not really pregnant. Actually I donā€™t even know if I amā€¦I just think I am. Iā€™m already nearly a month late on my period and though Iā€™ve never had very regular periods, Iā€™ve never been this late.

But it could be nothing right? Maybe just stress? I have had a lot of papers and assignments due in my classes lately that had my head pounding in worry. I know I wasnā€™t eating as regular as I used to, because Iā€™d been so stressed out from work, that sometimes I would just forget the simple things in life like eating and sleeping. And it showed by the newly formed bags under my eyelids and the small amount of weight Iā€™d lost. That could be it too. Maybe it was just the weight loss.

For the almost month time span in which my period had been away on vacation, I waivered between these three options. Hoping and praying that it was the last two, but too afraid to get the proper test to make sure that it wasnā€™t the former.

But today, was the day. Thatā€™s mantra I woke up with. Today was the day. I kept saying it over and over, through physics, through psychology, through lunch, through statistics. Today was the day.

But I didnā€™t want it to be! I didnā€™t want to go get the test, I didnā€™t want to see what the results were unless it was what I wanted. And what I wanted was to not be pregnant. I needed to not be pregnant.

***

Draped in a long grey overcoat, a headscarf wrapped around the lower half of my face, black leather gloves and dark sunglasses on, I'm sure I didn't look the least bit suspicious in the grocery store on that warm Florida day. But I wasn't taking any chances of having someone recognize me, I was a woman on a mission and Iā€™ll be damned if I get sidetracked.

I shuffled with my head down to the back aisles, where I was hoping that Iā€™d be able just get the damn test and shuffle my ass right on out without any prolonged stops, especially not any price checks. Last thing I need is my shit broadcasted throughout the whole damn store.

Well, being that my luck is as great as it isā€¦the price check thing didnā€™t happen but something even better did.

ā€œKeisha? Is that you?ā€

No, it isnā€™t. I thought, focusing hard of the pregnancy tests on the shelf in front of me as if the harder I stared at them the more likely my chances were that Iā€™d blend into the shelf.

I knew I should have just grabbed one and left. But
no, I had to start comparing prices and trying to remember which one Iā€™d seen a commercial about it being the easiest to use without all that plus, minus nonsense.

ā€œK! Girl, that
is you.ā€ The woman to my right, who Iā€™d still yet to acknowledge, laughed as she put a hand to my shoulder.

Relunctantly turning to face her, I forced a smile on my covered face. ā€œHiā€¦ā€ I trailed off, my mind recognizing the face but blanking on the name.

ā€œMrs. Richards. I used to work with your mom a few years back.ā€ She said, still grinning at me. ā€œYou donā€™t remember me?ā€

Hell naw, I donā€™t remember you. Am I supposed to remember all of my momā€™s co-workers? Or any of them for that matter. ā€œNo, maā€™am.ā€

ā€œOh, wellā€¦ā€

And I know she was still talking because her lips were still flapping but I wasnā€™t hearing a word of it. My mind was too focused on getting the hell out of there before anyone of my motherā€™s other old friends might happen to recognize me despite this clearly ā€˜brilliantā€™ disguise and feel the need to pass the word along about my purchases today to my dear olā€™ mum.

And as much as I love the sound of shock and disappointment on my motherā€™s voice right before she goes into a two-hour monologue involving comparisons to my canā€™t-do-wrong younger sister, Iā€™m sure I could find something better to do with my time.

ā€œWell, tell your mama I said hi and tell her my number ainā€™t changed and she can call a sista sometime.ā€

I nodded, smiling, glad that this conversation was over. ā€œOkay, I will.ā€ I said, grabbing a few tests that were the closest and quickly putting one foot in front of the other.

I should have known it was going to be a bad day when I didnā€™t get hardly but five steps down the aisle when I ran into another person causing the tests to spill around my feet.

Cursing to myself, I bent to scramble together the tests so I continue to hightail it to the registers when I heard the person Iā€™d just run into say, ā€œNext time watch where youā€™re going.ā€

I straightened up at that, tests in hand, sucked my teeth deciding whether it was worth the time and energy to give this bitch a piece of mind, when I realized that I knew this bitch.

ā€œCoral?ā€

Have you ever had one of those moments where you say something and then the moment after you wish like hell that you had never said it?

Yeah, well, this was that kind of moment for me. Because no sooner than I said her name, did the realization of who was talking to her dawn on her face, right before her eyes fell to the boxes of tests I was awkwardly cradling in my arms.

A few moments in silence passed before she laughed, ā€œDamn, how pregnant are you?ā€

My face relaxed a little at that, letting me know just how tense I was. Sighing, I stared at the tests in my hand for a moment, racking my brain for a logical reason Iā€™d have these.

I suppose logic and my brain werenā€™t getting along at that moment, because the next thing I said was, ā€œUh, these arenā€™t mine.ā€

ā€œYeah,ā€ she laughed with a knowing nod. ā€œAnd these arenā€™t mine.ā€ She winked, picking up some for herself.

ā€œYou too?ā€ I said, feeling a little bit better and relaxed a little bit more.

ā€œYeah, girl.ā€ She sighed. ā€œIā€™m knocked up.ā€ She sang in the tune of Akonā€™s ā€œLocked Up.ā€

***

"Iā€™m not tryinā€™ to blow up like Shamu." Coral said, shaking her head at the thought as she reached for another bag of chips.

ā€œThen stop eatinā€™ everything in sight.ā€ I laughed, snatching the chips out of her hand and finishing off the bag myself.

After the last time I saw Coral and sheā€™d been so cold to me, I figured Iā€™d never see or speak to her again. But that was then, this is now.

Now weā€™re both sitting in family room of Nateā€™s and my apartment (which made this weekend that Iā€™d set up for him to spend with Joyce turn out so very convenient for me) laughing and joking about ugly maternity clothes and stretch marks all thanks to a fragile (and very possibly temporary) bond over motherhood fears.

And it turns out that that last time Iā€™d run into Coral, sheā€™d been so evil because sheā€™d just gotten into it with Jamal and it wasnā€™t long after that, that for some reason that even she isnā€™t quite sure of she took him back. Theyā€™d been off and on again for a while now and during one of their "on" times she thinks she might have messed around and gotten pregnant.

And after weā€™d shared about how weā€™d been doing up until this moment, we decided weā€™d rather not take the tests alone.

Just me with the silence and walls would have driven me crazy.

But neither one of us were ready to take the tests just yet, so w did the one thing college had taught us best: waste time we didnā€™t have to waste.


One day, I didn't come home at my normal time. One day, I didn't come home at all. He didn't call. I waited for that call. That "where are you, I'm worried" call. That "I recognize your existence so that's how I'm able to notice your absence and care that you're gone" call. That "come home" call. That "call me, dammit!" call. That "you better be dead, otherwise the next time I see you I will kill you for scaring me like this" call.

Those calls never came. Not a one.

I stared at the phone.

"Why do you think he hasn't called?" I asked Coral, my eyes still on the phone.

"Maybe he has, but since you've been staring the phone down for the last hour or so it's gotten
so intimidated that it can't remember how to ring."

"Right." I rolled my eyes. "That's definitely gotta be it, alright."

ā€œWell, in the mean time maybe we shouldā€¦ā€ She trailed off, gesturing over to where the shopping bags sat holding the hardest test Iā€™d have to take.

ā€œY-yeah.ā€ I nodded, slowly forcing my limbs into motion.

So we each took the tests (three each, to be sure) and now we wait.

It only takes a few minutes for the results to show, but time seemed to be moving in slow motion.

ā€œSo how is Nikki?ā€ Coral asked, stopping her pacing long enough to get that out.

Shrugging, I said, ā€œI donā€™t know. Shacked up with her man, which is good I guess. You would know better than me, since you seemed to be talking to her more than I was.ā€

ā€œWhatā€™s with us and the guys with ā€˜Jā€™ names?" Coral asked, avoiding the part about how sheā€™d kept in contact with Nik (who she didnā€™t really even like that much) after sheā€™d betrayed me, even though she had magically forgotten my number.

Bitter, who me? But I just laughed it off, not really feeling like taking it there with her at the moment.

"So what are you going to do if you are pregnant?" Coral asked, reminding me that we werenā€™t just randomly getting together to talk like we used to do.

ā€œDang, girlā€¦ever the kill-joy arenā€™t you?ā€ I laughed. Shrugging I took a deep breath and said, "I guess Iā€™ll be getting a motherā€™s day present next year then."

Coral laughed, but it was a nervous laughter. "For real?"

"Yeah, for real." I replied, softly picking at my fingernails.

"I donā€™t knowā€¦"

"Donā€™t know what?"

"I donā€™t know if Iā€™m ready to be a mother. But I donā€™t think I canā€¦" Her voice trailed off, and her eyes got misty and I knew exactly what she was thinking about.

I closed my eyes for a minute, remembering the disinfectant uncleanly clean smell of the waiting room at the Family Unplanning room of the clinic Iā€™d went to when Coral had gotten her abortion. In all those years I still hadnā€™t forgotten so I knew Coral couldnā€™t have.

Coral sighed and looked back at me. "If it comes back positive, you wonā€™t be the only one celebrating motherā€™s day in a new way next year. Because the other optionsā€¦" She fidgeted with her hands. "Well they arenā€™t even options. Not anymore. Not for me."

ā€œGuess itā€™s about time that we go see what the results are.ā€ I said, standing up from where Iā€™d been sitting on the couch. ā€œBut you first.ā€

Rolling her eyes, she said, ā€œFine.ā€

I stood in the doorway and listened as she read off her results.

Negative.
Negative.
Negative.

After she finished crying, laughing and jumping up and down and thanking God like she was Halle Berry winning the Oscar, she turned to me, smiled and said, ā€œYour turn.ā€

Switching places, I found myself standing by my little future telling sticks, hoping to God that Iā€™d be able to accept my Oscar like Coral had just done. So I took several deep breathes, shook off the last of my jitters and forced myself to focus on the little future telling sticks.

Negative.
Negative.

The tension in my body eased as it felt like Iā€™d just dodged a bullet.


When I did finally come back, around noon the next day, I found him curled up in the fetal position in bed. In my spot on the bed. All the lights in the room, shining brightly and wastefully. And I just stood there, watching him for a few moments. Watching how peaceful he looked, how uncaring that I wasn't there. How cute.

I wanted to get in bed and snuggle with him, spoon with him. Just be near him.

But I wasn't his teddy anymore and when he used to run to cling to him, he now clings to himselfā€”knees pushed tight up against his chest.

I'm sure if he heard any of these thoughts, he'd say I was just overanalyzing it. And maybe I am. Maybe I haven't been demoted. Maybe I don't know anything.

But then that means maybe I don't know him.

Which at this point is the worst maybe of all.

I sat on the very edge of the bed, barely on it enough to keep both booty cheeks securely on the bed. Sitting perfectly straight, I faced the mirror that sat directly in front of the bed over the dresser. I still looked the same as I had when I left in the afternoon of yesterday. All the old familiar features were still sitting in their assigned seats. But something felt different. And I knew it wasn't in my face at all, but I couldn't bring my eyes to look down just yet.

I had to work my way there slowly. First, the neck. I titled it to the left and right. Nothing new. Then the shoulders. I rolled them, nothing new again. Then the breasts. Yep, still "small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains" as Shakira would say. I hesitated then.

ā€œWhew,ā€ I laughed, walking out of the bathroom. ā€œIā€™m glad that shit is over.ā€

ā€œWait that was only twoā€¦what about the other one? What did that say?"

I knew there was another there. I just didnā€™t want to see it. Wasnā€™t two good enough anyways?

But I reluctantly went back to check the last one, hesitating all the while.

ā€œItā€™ll probably be negative too.ā€ Coral said, trying to encourage me to just get on with it. ā€œBut itā€™s just better to be safe than sorry.ā€

"What if I say that I'm sorry now, then that automatically makes me safe right?"

Shaking her head, she said, "Check the damn test, stupid."

Taking another deep breath, I checked the last one.

My eyes facing forward, I let my fingers do the seeing this time. Gingerly sliding underneath my shirt, I tentatively placed my hand onto my stomach---one finger at a time until my palm was flat against it.

I swallowed the lump back in my throat, suddenly the bathroom was too small, there wasnā€™t nearly enough oxygen.

"Well?" Coral asked sounding like my silence was making her anxious.

With a small smile I said, "Well it looks like Iā€™ve just gotten another holiday to get gifts from."


I swallowed back a tear. I was nowhere near ready for this.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki