Change of Mind by Leeann


Number of reviews: 5
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


"I can't BELIEVE, 9 out of 10 places I've applied have turned me down." Rebecca cried as she tossed an envelope on the table.

"You'll find one." her best friend Sara assured her.

"That's easy for you to say Sara, you already have a job waiting for you." Rebecca sighed.

She'd applied for jobs all over the country and not one had been promising. The nine that had said no said she was either not qualified, or they had found someone already. The only one who hadn't contacted her yet was for a tour manager for 6 months. She had no idea who it was for, just that the person would be doing three months of prep work and another three months on tour. If everything worked out, it could turn into a full time job.

"So are we going to The Amp tonight?" Sara asked her.

The Amp was a local club where local bands usually played every week.

"Yeah, I could really use it." Rebecca nodded.

"All right, well I'm going to go get ready. I'll come over when I'm done," Sara said before walking to her apartment.

Rebecca and Sara had been best friends since high school. Sara was two years older than Rebecca, but they graduated together and had been best friends. They had a very weird friendship, nobody could really understand it. More than once they had gotten in a fight and stopped talking for months at a time, one time it had gotten so bad, they hadn't talked to each other for a year.

Rebecca lived for music and so did Sara. They were originally from a small town, but moved to Memphis to attend college for music industry. They weren't what your average Memphisians would look like, Sara had many peircings and tattoos while Rebecca had a lip ring and a single tattoo of a guitar pick on her wrist.

Rebecca took a shower and got ready to go to The Amp, it was a Friday night and she didn't have anything to do the next day so she was going to take advantage of that and have some, in her opinion, much needed alcohol. She didn't drink often, but when she did, she knew when to stop. She put on her pink 'Virgin Wool' shirt along with a pair of jeans and a studded belt with a buckle that said 'BECK'--her nickname. She blow dried her hair and straightened it before putting on her make-up, by the time she was finished Sara still hadn't shown up yet.

"That is so like her to take forever," Rebecca rolled her eyes and put on a CD.

She signed in on her MSN and found that her friend Jed from Choking Hazaard was on--the drummer of the band she'd met while she was in college before transfering to Memphis. At that time she was sure she would one day marry him as he seemed perfect for her in every way, but months after she'd left for Memphis, he'd found a girl and now they were engaged.

She messaged him and said hello.

Silverspiral: Hey Jed.
Number1Drummer: Hey Beck.
Silverspiral: how are you?
Number1Drummer: i'm good, how are you?
Silverspiral: i've had better days. got another rejection today. it really sucks. especially to know sara already has a job but i don't.
Number1Drummer: Don't worry sweetie, you'll find one.
Silverspiral: thank you.
Number1Drummer: no need to thank me, i mean it.
Silverspiral: hold on, sara just walked in. she might be ready now.
Rebecca turned to Sara and asked, "Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah," Sara nodded waiting for Rebecca.

"Okay. One second."

Rebecca turned to the computer and started typing.

Silverspiral: i gotta go, i'll talk to you later
Number1Drummer: bye, be careful
Silverspiral: always
Rebecca got up and they went to her car and headed for The Amp. When they got there, the place was packed. Apparently there was a band that was popular their tonight. When they got in there they discovered that The Used made a surprise appearance. Being huge fans, they made their way up front pushing everyone out of the way. Making it to the very front right up against the barricade, they watched one of their favorite bands play their favorite song. Blue and Yellow.

And it's all in how you mix the two
And it starts just where the light exists
It's a feeling that you cannot miss
And it burns a hole through everyone that feels it

Well you're never gonna find it
If you're looking for it
Won't come your way
Well you'll never find it
If you're looking for it

Should've done something but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste some time with you

And you never would have thought in the end
How amazing it feels just to live again
It's a feeling that you cannot miss
It burns a hole through everyone that feels it

Well you're never gonna find it
If you're looking for it
Won't come your way
Well you'll never find it
If you're looking for it

Should've done something but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste some time with you

Should've said something but I've said it enough
By the way my words were faded
Rather waste some time with you

Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Should've done something but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste my time with you

Should've said something but I've said it enough
By the way my words were faded
Rather waste my time with you

Should've done something but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste some time with you

Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you
Waste some time with you

Should've done something but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste some time with you

The audience was going nuts as Bert started in on the next song, Take It Away. The Used were Rebecca's favorite band, so this was a real treat for her. She'd seen them once before at The Quest in Minneapolis, but that was over 5 years ago and she'd wanted to see them ever since.

Take It Away wasn't one of Sara's favorite songs so she went to go get them a drink while Rebecca stayed and kept her spot.

"Here you are," Sara said a few minutes later when she returned with a Smirnoff Ice.

"Thank you," Rebecca yelled over the music.

Being really thirsty, Rebecca downed it in a few minutes then handed the empty bottle to the security guard standing in front of her.

"You realize, that alcohol is just going to dehydrate you," he said as he took the bottle.

"Yeah, I know." she nodded, then turned her attention back to the stage.

"Okay," he replied.

"I've had a rough couple of weeks." Rebecca added feeling she needed to explain herself.

"That's understandable." the guy nodded in understanding.

Rebecca smiled at him then turned her attention to Quinn who as playing almost right in front of her. She wasn't paying attention to anything but the stage when the security guy handed her a shot of clear liquid.

"Here you go, thought it might help." he winked.

"What is it?" Rebecca asked sniffing it.

"Just drink it." he replied.

"Okay," Rebecca answered before slamming the shot. She closed her eyes for a moment while it burned going down then handed the glass back to the guy.

"Little rough?" he laughed.

"Yeah, just a little. Vodka was never a favorite to drink straight." she coughed.

"Name's Dan by the way." he chuckled.

"Rebecca." she smiled at him.

"If you need anything, just let me know." he said before turning to help someone who was body surfing off the crowd.

Rebecca knew she better watch the alcohol as she hadn't drank in a while and she hadn't eaten for a few hours. She could easily get drunk if she didn't watch it.

"What was that all about?" Sara shouted over the music.

"What?" Rebecca asked.

"That." she said pointing to Dan.

"Nothing, he just bought me a shot of vodka." she replied before turning her attention back to the stage.

"Be careful, you don't want to get taken advantage of." Sara warned.

Rebecca felt her stomach drop, she hadn't even thought of that. What if he really had drugged her. She could have easily fallen victim to a date rape drug.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Sara answered.

"No, it's okay. I didn't even think of that until now." Rebecca shuddered.

"A girl in my class was raped after a guy she didn't know bought her a drink." Sara explained.

"Thank you." Rebecca nodded sincerly.

"You're welcome." Sara smiled.

They turned their attention back to the stage where they were starting to play 'On My Own'.

See all those people on the ground
Wasting time
I try to hold it all inside
But just for tonight
The top of the world
Sitting here wishing
The things I've become
That something is missing
Maybe I...
But what do I know

And now it seems that I have found
Nothing at all
I want to hear your voice out loud
Slow it down, slow it down
Without it all
I'm choking on nothing
It's clear in my head
And I'm screaming for something
Knowing nothing is better than knowing at all

Rebecca felt tears burn at the back of her throat and sighed deeply. Every time she heard this song, it reminded her of Jed and what they never had. She was over him, but at times like this, she still missed him. The thing was, they never had a relationship, he didn't even have a clue that she liked him more than a friend. It made her sad really, they could have made a great couple, but as fate would have it, they never got together.

On my own
On my own
On my own
On my own
On my own
On my own

Sara glanced over at Rebecca and could almost read her mind. Jed. She was thinking about it again. Sara sighed and wondered when she was finally going to get over it once and for all. Not to be rude or anything, but Sara figured she should just move on and forget about something she never even had.
Without it all
I'm choking on nothing
It's clear in my head
And I'm screaming for something
Knowing nothing is better than knowing at all

On my own
On my own
On my own
On my own

"Well, that was fun." Rebecca said a few hours later as they sat in Rebecca's living room.

"Yeah, we need to get out more often." Sara nodded. "This whole, all work and no play gets old after a while."

"Yeah," Rebecca agreed.

"Well, I'm going to go home and go to bed." Sara said standing up.

"Goodnight," Rebecca said walking her to the door.

"Goodnight."

Rebecca closed the door and went to her kitchen and grabbed a bowl of orange jell-o with orange slices she'd made earlier. She grabbed a spoon and sat down at the kitchen table and grabbed an envelope she hadn't opened yet.

"More junk mail," she sighed after taking a bite.

She opened the envelope and pulled out the letter. She nearly dropped her spoon when she started reading it.

Dear Ms. Valdez

We're writing to inform you that we were impressed with your application and we'd like to set up a personal interview sometime within the next few weeks. Please give us a call when you get this letter so we can set up an appropriate time that works for you. Thank you for your interest in working with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cordially,
Johnny Wright

"FINALLY. I have an interview. Wait a second, Johnny Wright? Oh my," Rebecca stared at the signature and wondered what she was getting herself into.

Johnny Wright worked with bands like Nsync and Backstreet Boys, could it be possible that she'd be working with such big names like those so soon after college? Wasn't this what she'd always wanted? So why was she so nervous suddenly.

"Because your dreams are coming true." Rebecca said to herself.

Rebecca sat there reading the letter and eating her jell-o before finding herself really tired. She went to bed and was asleep almost right away. With a happy smile on her face.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki