Heaven's Soldier by Laurencoz


Number of reviews: 7
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter Five




“Do a little dance,” Justin sang, wiggling his hips.

“Make a little love,” Toad sang, imitating Justin’s dance.

“Get down tonight,” Jaxon sang, joining in.

“Yesssss! Jax is down!” Justin said, sticking out his fist to meet Jaxon’s.

“Y’all are the biggest idiots. I swear…” Collin said, shaking his head.

“Yep, you’re just mad ‘cause you can’t get down with us, Collin,” Toad said.

“Yeah man, lighten up. It’s Friday, we’re in another country and off duty tonight,” Jaxon said.

The four guys had just received news that U.S. troops were being flooded farther north and needed back up, so the four would join thirty others and leave the area at dawn. Since they had the mission early in the morning, they had received the rest of the night off duty. They were tired of being holed up in their room, and decided to visit an Iraqi shopping place about three miles away.

“Yeah, it’s practically vacation!” Justin said, smiling at his friends.

“Yep, partyyyy!” Toad threw in.

Collin laughed. “You bastards are crazy!”

***
The guys walked down the darkening sidewalk to the shopping area, slowly getting more hungry. Jaxon and Collin had put on headphones after a mile. Justin and Toad walked in silence, calming down from their earlier excitement. They

He surveyed the crowds and wished Abigail was here. He was reminded of all the times they walked around downtown during their dates. As he walked, he ignored the cracks in the sidewalk and the dust clouding around him. The streets of Baghdad were torn apart but still busy. He passed by barber shops, banks, electronics stores, and food marts, buildings that were halfway shattered, but somehow continued to be in business.

Justin breathed in the cool air and adjusted his gaze to the faces surrounding him, from weakening older people to the lively children. Suddenly he felt sad. His heart ached for the people whose blood had been shed. He tried not to think of looking into the eyes of another as young as he was and take his life. He tried to reassure himself that what he was doing was right. These were precious lives and he was here to help them achieve freedom. He just hated knowing that some had to die for freedom to ring.

Justin and the guys made their way into a restaurant, and he noticed the man at the counter. If they had been wearing their uniforms, many would be afraid to speak with them and serve their needs. It wasn’t necessarily a fear of American troops, but a fear of what could happen if they were seen helping an American soldier.

Now that they were out of uniform, the man welcomed them, seeing them only as foreigners who could benefit his business. Justin felt bad paying the small amount the man requested. In America, he would have paid three times as much for dinner. Here, the people had come to accept poverty. The guys made up for it by leaving a large tip. He couldn’t help but smile come to his face as the man said goodbye to them with a “God Bless You!”




“Abi, are you ready yet? Church starts in ten minutes!” Jenn yelled from the other side of the bathroom door.

I put the curling iron down and take a glance in the mirror. I cringe as I see my face without makeup. I guess I can do it in the car and make Jenn drive. I grab my makeup bag and pull the bathroom door open. “I’m coming, I’m coming!”

Kelly and Jenn are standing in my living room, near the front door. They’re both in dresses, looking impatient with their arms crossed.

Then they catch sight of me. “Abi! You’re still in your pajamas?!” Kelly said, disapprovingly.

“I just have to iron my dress. Go ahead and get in the car. I’ll be there in a minute,” I said, tossing my keys to them.

“Kelly, you can go ahead. I’m going to make sure Abigail hurries up,” Jenn said, sending her pregnant friend on her way.

I quickly changed and scurried around the apartment, trying to find the necklace I want to wear with my dress. I put some earrings on while trying to balance my makeup bag and put on my shoes all at the same time.

I heard a laugh from Jenn as I nearly fell over. Suddenly I see what I’m looking for. My necklace from Justin is on the TV. How did it get there? I grab it and head for the door. “See I’m ready! We’ll be on time.”

“Thank God!” Jenn said, opening the door. “Do you have your Bible?”

“Shoot! Hold these,” I said dropping all of my things into her arms.

She looks at me irritably, and shakes her head. “Abi..”

“…I know, I know. I’ll hurry!”




We sit in our seats towards the back and listen to the pastor’s message. Once I finally got ready, I was glad we came. Church is such a peaceful place. Even the music just makes you want to go to sleep, but I promised myself I would not fall asleep this time. Actually, I’m really benefiting from the pastor’s words today.

He was talking about how Jesus didn’t ever sin. In his whole lifetime of 33 years, he always did the right thing. Then, he sacrificed himself for us and took all of our sin and died for him. I mean, yeah, he’s God and he rose three days later, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t go through all the pain of being crucified. It doesn’t seem fair that he didn’t do anything wrong, but risked his life for us anyway.

Justin was always telling me about this kind of thing. Especially when he was about to leave for the war. I didn’t understand why he would want to fight for someone else’s cause. We weren’t ever going to benefit from Iraq’s freedom, so why did he need to risk his life to help free them? He told me that, just like Jesus gave his life for our freedom from sin because he cared, he was going to do the same thing. He cared about these people and what might happen if Iraq stayed under the rule of evil. So he was going to fight, even if it meant he had to die.

Justin is my hero. I guess by saying that, Jesus becomes my hero, too. I like knowing that if something does happen to J, he’d be okay. I know he’d be in heaven if I did lose him. But even if he came home perfectly fine, I know that God would be proud of him. As these things went through my mind, suddenly I felt at peace. My husband was going to be alright no matter what.





© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki