Holes by Mattison30


Number of reviews: 478
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter 16: And That's the Truth



Trace suggested that I ask Elli out. Can you believe that? He also said that it was obvious that I liked her. That is so not true. I mean I do like her but I’m not obvious about it.


Am I?


I will admit that I was a little….what’s the word I’m looking for? Not jealous but….. upset, yeah, upset when Trace told me that he and Elli “hit it off.” I still think there’s something more there than he let on. I mean he was practically gushing about her.


And then instead of just admitting that he liked her he played it off like I was a jealous freak. I am not jealous. I don’t get jealous. I just think that Trace is not right for Elli. I love Trace an all, he’s my best friend, they just don’t mesh.


And it would just be wrong and gross. Okay maybe I’m exaggerating a bit. I just don’t’ like the idea of them together. I don’t particularly like the idea of Elli with anyone actually. She’s too shy and naïve. She would get taken advantage of. And Trace would corrupt the poor girl with all of his swearing and drinking and weed smoking. Elli shouldn’t be exposed to that sort of thing.


When I’m around her I try to tone down my language and I don’t think I’ve ever had a drink in front of her. I know I’ve never lit up in front of her; I never would either. I’m not saying I should date her because of these things either so you can just wipe that look off your face right now. I just….I…

*Sigh*


Maybe I should ask her out….


~*~*~*~


“What do you mean he asked you out?” Liz practically screams at me. I have to pull the phone from ear she’s so loud. Dang that girl has a big mouth on her.


“I think he just meant it as a friend.” I answer unsurely after putting the phone back to my ear.


“Are you sure?” She prods.


I bite my lip. “No.” I have no idea how he meant it. How can you tell? I mean he didn’t just come right out and say he wanted a date but he didn’t say that he didn’t want one either. I am so confused right now.


“Well what were his exact words?”


I pause for a few moments to try to recall our conversation from earlier. “I can’t remember.”


“Think Elli!” She sighs in a frustrated tone. She’s not the one who should be frustrated right now. I’m the one who doesn’t know if she’s going out on a date or not.


“Uh”something along the lines of ‘I don’t have anything to do tonight how about we catch a movie or something?’”that was it.” I answer quoting him as best I can remember.


“What was he doing when he asked?”


“What?” What the heck does that mean? What was he doing?
He was talking to me. What does she think he was doing, juggling?


“Like body language Ell.” She clarifies. I still don’t know what that means. She’s going to need to be really specific with me. “Was he looking you in the eyes or at his feet? Cause if he was looking you in the eye that means he wasn’t nervous and therefore only wants a to go out as friends. BUT, if he was looking at his shoes that means he was nervous and was afraid you were going to turn him down”Argo, he wanted a date.”


“Uh”more like over my shoulder.”


“Hmm…that’s a toughie.” She replies only adding to my irritation. I hate being left in the dark like this. I wish I was able to read guys better. “Did he mention taking you out to eat either before or after?”


“No.”


“That would deem a no date.”


“So it’s not a date.” I smile with relief. I would freak out if it turned out to be worthy of the date title. As pathetic as it sounds I’ve never even been on a date before. This would be my first and I most definitely do not want to make a fool out of myself in front of him. He’s already seen what a klutz and stuttering, always blushing fool I am.


“Well we can’t be sure until he takes you out.”


That is not what she was supposed to say! “How will I know then?”


“Oh Elli, you are so terrible at reading people.”


Duh! If I were good at reading people would I be having this conversation? NO! “I can’t help it! I’m not used to this kind of attention.”


“I know and that’s okay.” She answers calmly. “Now if he pays for your ticket, it’s a date.”


“I don’t want it to be a date Liz.” I whine miserably, falling back on my bed. I’m sulking, I know, but I can’t help it right now.


“Then don’t let him pay for you.”


“Okay.” I whimper.


“And don’t let him open doors for you and stuff like that.”


“Right.” I nod sitting back up. I need to pay attention to this. Do you think I should be taking notes? I lean to my right and grab my note pad and a pencil off my night stand. Shrugging the phone to my ear with one of my shoulders, I quickly scribble down the advice she’s already given me.


“And don’t let him pay for your concessions either.”


“I figured that.”


“Good. Uh”don’t let him hold your hand.”


“No holding hands; got it.” I write faster. I hope I’ll be able to read this later.


“Oh! Do not use the armrest in between your seats. This will give him access to your hand.”


I nod although she can’t see me. This is a lot to remember. “Anything else?”


“Okay, the most important rule, under no circumstances do you””


“What!” I ask frantically when she stops talking.


“I’m sorry Ell I gotta go. My mom’s calling me.”


“Wait, just tell me what I can’t do.” I say in a panic. She can’t do this to me. You can’t tell someone that something is the most important and then not tell that someone what that something that they can't do is. That’s just plain wrong!


“Call me later and let me know how it went. Love ya!”


“But”” She hung up. Now I’m ten times more nervous than I was before. What can’t I, under no circumstances do? What if I do it first thing when I see him? Then it’ll be a date and I’ll be doomed.


But then again would a date really be all that terrible? Okay yes it would. I’m not prepared for a date. I can barely talk to any member of the opposite sex without tripping or stuttering or just saying something plain stupid. This is going to be a disaster.


And you know that now that I have the idea in my head that this could be a date that’s all I’ll be able to think about and I’ll be more of a blubbering idiot than normal. Did I mention that is going to be a disaster?


I wonder what I should wear. I probably have to be careful of the image I send out. I have to look un-date like and as friendly as possible. But not too friendly. Maybe I should wear something like overalls and pigtails. Ha! Wouldn’t that be a hoot?


I don’t know why I’m even bothering to stress about this. It’s a school night and my mom would never, in a million years, let me go. I could lie and tell her I’m going out with Liz or I could use it as an excuse to get out of this maybe-date.


“Elli?” I jump at the sound of my mom’s voice. It feels like she can read my thoughts sometimes. You know what I mean? It freaks me out.


“Yeah?”


“Can I come in sweetie?”


“Sure.” I call back as she turns the door knob to her right and steps inside. She looks nice. Her hair's pulled up in one of those fancy French twists and she’s wearing a mid-length black dress with matching heels. She must be going out again. “You look nice.”


“Thank you honey.” She smiles, sitting down at the chair pulled up to my desk. I offer a tight lipped smile in return. “I just wanted you to know that I’m going out tonight and won’t be home until late.”


Didn’t see that coming”not. “You’re going out with Aunt Ellen again?” My question comes out more as a statement. Aunt Ellen is always what she uses as an excuse. Then again I use Liz in the same way.


“Uh-huh.” She nods.


“What are you doing that you’re so dressed up for?” I ask unable to meet her eyes. I don’t understand why we can’t be honest with each other anymore. I hate this.


“She’s just having a small party with some friends.”


“Oh.” I mutter in a disappointed tone. I knew she wouldn’t tell me the truth.


“What are you doing?”


“I don’t know yet.” I answer honestly; and that’s the truth.


TBC.....


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki