Holes by Mattison30


Number of reviews: 478
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter 23: The Hot Pop Star



Well, me and my mom had it out yesterday morning after I ran out on her. She came upstairs all worried and asked me what was wrong. Of course I said nothing and asked her to just leave me alone and give some space. Being a mother and all she couldn’t do that. The more she persisted the angrier I got and eventually I just exploded.


(FLASHBACK)


“Elli, I know that having Steve around is a little difficult for you to get used to but””


“It’s more than ‘a little difficult’ mom!” I scream at her with a look of disbelief on my face. I don’t think this woman could possibly be more clueless. “Not only did you just suddenly spring Steve on me, but you lied to me about seeing him. I know all those nights you said you spent with Aunt Ellen were really with him! "


She must have thought I was too stupid to piece it all together; she’s always underestimated me. I thought something was up the first time I caught her sneaking in and I knew for sure the time I called Aunt Ellen and she had no idea where my mom was.


“Elli””


I grunt in frustratation. She is not honestly going to try to cover this up or even defend her actions is she? “I don’t care what you say mom. I know it’s true. And you know what? I hate Steve. Hate him. He treats me like I’m twelve and pretends he’s my father. Well guess what mom, he’s not! He could never amount to dad. He’s””


“Elli Elizabeth Montgomery! I have heard enough!”


“No! Do not use the middle name on me!” I yell boldly. If all of this crap with Justin had not happened right before this I’m sure I never would have had the audacity to stand up to her like this. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not. I can however tell you it feels incredibly good to get all this off my chest and to be honest with her for once. “I have done nothing wrong so don’t even try to lecture me!”


She pauses, breathing deeply. I must have stumped her; she seems to be having trouble coming up with a rebuttal. “Do you want me to be alone the rest of my life, hmm? Do you?”


I remain silent at her earnest questioning.


“I loved your father with all of my heart Elli.” Notice the passed tense. “And no, I could never love Steve the way that I loved him. But Steve makes me happy. Don’t you want me to be happy? Don’t I deserve some happiness?”


Of course I want her to be happy. But why does she need a man to make her happy? Aren’t I enough? Isn’t dad’s memory enough? She’s not alone as long as I’m here. My face contorts in pain when tears begin to descend down my mother’s defined cheeks. Soon my tears mock her own and a sob escapes me. She kneels in front of my haggard body and grasps my hands tightly.


“Honey, I know you feel that I’m trying to replace your dad, but I’m not. I could never replace him and I would never even try.”


She just doesn’t understand. She says she’s not replacing him but she is.


“I just want you to give Steve a chance. Can you do that for me? Just come with us tomorrow and try to get along with him. I think that once you get to know Steve you’ll really like him.”


Doubtful…



And that’s were we ended it. I promised to try to get along with Steve and give him a chance and we hugged and she went back to finish her breakfast with her new boyfriend.


So now I’m supposed to be getting changed to go spend a fun filled day with both of them at the beach. Suddenly I don’t feel so well. Maybe I’ll just stay home. Of course I tried that excuse earlier and I still had to go to church….with him.


This was my mother’s excuse for letting him stay the night”that it made more sense for him to say over since he would have to get up so early. That’s bull and everybody knows it. At least he had the decency to sleep in the guest room. If he had stayed in my mom’s room…. I don’t know what I would have done. All I know is that I would not have been held accountable for my actions.


Oh and sleeping last night was just…not in the cards. I don’t think I slept more than an hour. Between my mom and Steve and the whole Justin fiasco there was no way I was going to sleep. I’m still really mad at Justin. I mean wouldn’t you be? He yelled at me and accused me of things I would never do. He did apologize but I just…I don’t feel like I’m ready to forgive him yet. Hey, maybe it would be best if I just ended whatever it is we have or had right now. It sure would alleviate a lot of my stress.


“Elli will you come downstairs please?” My mother’s voice breaks me from my thoughts. It’s probably best I stop thinking so deeply about all this before I get really confused and a monster headache.


Preparing myself to face Steve again, I take a very deep breathe. Upon reaching the bottom of the staircase my eyes immediately fly to the rather large bouquet of bright yellow roses Steve is holding; my favorite. Not that I think they’re for me. They couldn’t be for me. Who would get me roses?


“Who’s JT?” My mom asks with a raised brow, waving a small card in front of her. They are for me. Holy cow! No one has ever given me flowers before. I gasp inwardly when I realize whose initials JT are. Justin Timberlake”how sweet. Not sweet enough to make me forgive him yet though. I’m going to stay strong here and not just give in. “Hello, Elli? Who is JT?”


“Oh,” I close my mouth and swallow; hard. What do I say? I can’t tell her who JT is. She’d have a heart attack. “He’s”uh”the friend who’s giving me the music lessons.”


“The Justin I met last night?” Steve buts in. I nod my answer.


“What did he do that he’s so sorry about?” I begin to stutter a reply; not really making any sense. I am so not good at coming up with lies on the spot. She cuts me off, lifting the card to her line of vision and reading the contents:


Elli,

I can’t tell you how sorry I am, but I promise I’ll make it up to you. I know this isn’t nearly enough but it’s a start.

-JT



Oh my goodness. I’m starting to turn into mush. Ugh, I hate being a girl! I will not forgive him just because he sent me the most beautiful flowers I’ve ever seen and a really sweet note. It is really sweet isn’t it? Or maybe I’m just desperate to forgive him and make him out to be better than he really is.


“So what did he do that he’s so sorry about?”


“Oh”uh”he”um”he broke my”my guitar….pick?” I nod, hoping that this comes out sounding at least half believable. “It was dad’s and I got really upset when it happened.”


“Why don’t you invite Justin to come with us?” Steve suggests, wrapping an arm around my mom’s middle after I take the, at least two dozen rose from him. “That way your mom can get to know him.”


~*~*~*~


Shit! JC is going to f**king kill me. I was supposed to meet him an hour ago to go over some new tracks for my album. I’m having trouble finishing that song I taught Elli to play on the guitar”Take It From Here.


Speaking of Elli, she’s still angry with me and not talking to me. I know it’s only been like two days since I made an ass out of myself but I was hoping she would have called by now or stopped by or something. I mean I know my apology wasn’t that great, which I told her, but I tried and I really do feel like crap. I even sent her flowers today; two dozen of her favorite flowers. I wonder if she’s gotten them yet or if her mom threw them out. I didn’t even want to think about her crazy-ass mother.


I shake my head to try to rid myself of the all consuming thoughts of Elli. I need to get to Jace’s house. Grabbing my keys off the counter and shoving my wallet in my back pocket I make a b-line for the front door. Upon swinging the door open I stop short.


“Hey,” I squeak out.


“Hi,” She responds shyly, looking down at the foot she’s scuffing on the pavement. I can’t believe she’s here. I can’t tell you how glad I am that I am running so late. “I”uh”is Trace here?”


Trace? She’s looking for Trace.


“He’s in the shower.” She flushes at my statement. “I’m sure he’s almost done if you want to come in a wait.”


“Okay.” She follows me in and we sit on the bar stools situated around the island. I sit on the opposite side from her making sure to give her plenty of space. She may be shy but I can’t say I would put it past her to slap me or something for my attitude the other day. I know I would have punched myself if I could have.


“Did you get my flowers?” I ask hesitantly. I know flowers are a typical gift guys get when they screw up but it was all I could think of at the time. I’ll have to think of something better later.


“Yes,” She answers quietly, “they were beautiful, thank you.”


She liked them!


“So”uh what are you and Trace doing today?” I ask civilly just trying to make conversation. “Not that I really care; I’m just curious.”


“We’re going to the beach with my mom and Steve.”


“Steve?” Is Steve her new boyfriend or something? How come I know nothing about this guy? I haven’t been out of the loop that long that she could have gotten a boyfriend in just two days. And Steve? What a hideous name; bet he’s a nasty pimply faced geek.


“My mom’s boyfriend.” She answers bitterly. I can’t stop the smile from forming on my lips. Her mom’s boyfriend, not hers.


“Since when does your mom have a boyfriend?”


Elli rolls her eyes towards the ceiling and her face distorts in disgust. I take it by the look on her face that she doesn’t like this Steve guy too much. I guess that makes since though. I remember taking to her about her dad a while back when she thought her mom was out gallivanting with random men. She was terrified her mom was trying to replace her dad. I know how much her dad means to her and how much she misses him. This has got to be hell for her.


“I met him the day before yesterday.” She says curling her lip. “My mom invited him over for dinner and now I have to go spend a fun filled day with him at the beach.”


“That explains why you were looking for me the other night.” I sigh suddenly realized how much more of an ass I was the other night than I ever realized. I run my hands over my face and through what little hair I still have. I really hate myself now. “God, I’m such an idiot. Elli, I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you when you needed me. And I was such a jerk to you that morning. It’s just the thought of someone taking advantage of you like that….it just…I just couldn’t handle that. So I was pissed and I took it out on you.”


“Do you really think your best friend would take advantage of me?” I look over at her, surprised I even got a response.


She’s right though; how can I call Trace my best friend when I would accuse him of something like that? I don’t really think he would take advantage of Elli though. I was just….I was jealous. There, I admit it. I was jealous of the thought of someone being that close to Elli when it wasn’t me. Wow, it feels really great to confess that. Of course this stays between us.


“Hey Ell,” Trace breaks me from my thoughts with his always chipper greeting. “Jay,” He nods his head in my direction. I can tell by his cold tone when he said my name that he’s still pissed at me. Can’t say I blame him.


Elli jumps off her stool and moves to his side sparking instant jealousy on my part. “You ready to go?” She asks sweetly, latching onto his hand and beginning to pull him towards the door. Elli was never that affectionate towards me when we weren’t fighting.


I just don’t understand it. What does Trace have that I don’t? Since when do women go after the pop star’s best friend instead of the hot pop star?


TBC....(Sorry if this chapter was sort of boring and not all that well written but I wrote it kind of fast. I promise the next update will be much better. :) )


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki