President's Daughter by sarahj


Number of reviews: 9
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


I sigh as the door to my office become victim to a loud knocking.

“Come in!”

I don’t even bother to look up. There’s only four hours left until the dinner party tonight and some of the crap that still needs to be organised is unbelievable. You’d think sorting flowers and cutlery was being picky, but things like the font on people’s service cards? That’s just being stupid. Nobody looks at that stuff.

It’s not entirely my job to be taking charge of all this stuff but I feel so guilty for not being as supportive as I should have yesterday with my father. I want to help.

“Jessica, there you are! My God, we thought you’d disappeared.”

I glance up at the sudden disruption in my office. Only limited people can access here so I’m a little surprised at the visit but the moment I look up I can see the familiar shocking blonde hair of Elliot. I relax back into my chair and put my glasses to the side.

During the last five years here I think Elliot is the only person I’ve ever really been close with. In this business you don’t make close friends. I’ve learnt that the hard way at school. When the security is as tight as it currently is, it’s almost forbidden.

In my final year before graduating, the situation I endured with James Brannagen sparked of a new era of caution in my life. For all his compassion and care on the outside, he was waging an ugly battle between his conscience on the inside. Eventually, his natural human greediness got the better of him and he took the gamble of leaking information the press about our family and past life for a four digit sum. Instead of receiving even an ounce of sympathy, I suffered the brutal consequences of his actions. People halfway across the globe knew inside information about me not even my closest friends at the time knew. Coping with the last years of high school became a nightmare. I was a recluse amongst my peers. I walked around with only two bodyguards in tail. People would question what it was that triggered the time in my life where I went off the hooks and dabbled in cocaine, went out and didn’t return all night, looked for condolence in ridiculous criminal acts. I laughed at it. Was my situation not any more obvious? Who wouldn’t go insane when they dealt with what I did. It’s ridiculous.

So now at the tender age of twenty one I’m supposed to feel I have learnt from this. I’m supposed to be adult in my approach to things. How can I? I can’t open to anyone apart from the fucking psychologist I was sent to. If Elliot wasn’t here I think I would become the Jessica of my high school years.

“Jessica!”

I realise I haven’t replied to him yet and look up. He’s out of his normal business suit today and is adorning a rather attractive tuxedo. I open my mouth to reply but shut it quickly. I can’t help but notice how good he looks today. I think a lot of the higher ranked members of staff are hiring tuxedos for tonight and Elliot looks great.

“Jessica, the catering company’s trying to get hold of you on line 9.” He takes a look at the mountain of papers scatted across my desk and smiles. “Need a hand with anything?”

“God, yes! How long do you have?!”

Elliot chuckles. “What do you want me to do?”

I motion to a spindly chair in the corner. “One second.” I turn to take the phone call. I hate this food company. When I told them the venue for the delivery they thought it was a prank call. Apparently they’re the best in the business but it doesn’t sound as though they’re being very professional. I slam down the phone after a very brief conversation.

“What did they want?” Elliot asks standing up from the chair that I’m pretty sure is going to break any second.

“Bugger all. But now Craig and the rest of the security team have to escort the delivery vans into the grounds and carry out checks and that's going to cause hold ups and then things will run late and then….”

I wave my hand in the air and realise how much that’s going to hold up things. Tonight has to be perfect considering the amount of media coverage that there’ll be and organising doesn’t just take a few hours. I’ve been sitting in this bloody office since 9 am this morning.

I thrust a bundle of papers into Elliot’s hand. “There, I have a job for you. Can you read out every persons name on that list so I can check them off on the computer.”

Elliot widens his eyes at the stack I’ve just given him. “Jessica, there’s eight pages of lists!”

“Yeah I know. Well you offered to help…”

He pauses before sighing. “Fine. But I have to be back downstairs in an hour.” He pushes the phone to one side and perches on the end of my desk.

“Good good. Well start from the beginning I guess.”

Elliot clears his throat puts on a very ridiculous regal accent. “Abbot, James. Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.”

“What? James is flying over for tonight?”

Elliot snorts. “Oh, so it’s just James to you. I had no idea you were such good friends.”

I slap his arm. “Shut up! Just read the rest out.”

For the next half an hour we sit and read out the names of the most powerful people in the world. Emperors, world leaders, other presidents. The list sounds endless. We’re on a role and getting through a good deal of it until Elliot takes a long pause.

“C’mon, what is it?”

Elliot continues looking at the writing and turns the page the page over.

“Elliot!”

“Yes, sorry! But look at this list of people!”

I sigh and lean over the desk. He’s probably stopped at some rich president. Meeting people like that used to overwhelm me too but I guess it’s just something I don’t think about anymore. I forget that people don’t have diner with the Prime Minister of Australia everyday.

“Who is it?”

Elliot points at a group of names at the bottom of the page. I have to admit; even I’m a bit surprised. “What the hell are they doing there?”

Elliot shrugs. “I dunno. Well, some of them had a lot to do with the campaign process, but I don’t know who invited them.”

“Yeah, but they’re celebrities! This building is going to be full of world leaders and business men tonight. Not people who probably don’t even know how to spell politics!”

Elliot hops off the end of the desk and heads towards the door. “That’s a bit harsh Jessica.” He pauses and then laughs. “Harsh but true. Anyways, I’d better head back down; I was only supposed to say you had a phone call.”

I nod and walk towards the door too. “Okay. I’ll come down with you. I need to find my father anyway. Thank you for all the help.”

“S’ok, I didn’t do much. So I’ll see you tonight then. You can ask those celebrities yourself what they’re doing there.”

“Right. See you tonight.”








© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki