Love Is Enough (Our Family Album Series part 4) by Coffee


Number of reviews: 105
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


McKayla groaned and stood up to look in the mirror before her. She was bored, restless, antsy, whatever you want to call it. Sick of being alone.

Not alone, minus her counterpart Justin alone, but just alone in general. She'd been sitting around this stupid five-star hotel for a week with nothing to do and no one to do it with. Shannon was always giving her these looks, ones that bugged the crap out of her because she knew Shannon was telling her 'call Justin,' 'apologize to Justin' so on and so forth.

It was nerve wrecking, especially when she was already internally fighting a loosing battle with herself. It wasn't easy to just tell your husband you wanted some time alone, despite the urge she felt to hold him, and having him tell her he wanted her back. The hard part now was figuring out what she was holding back for.

"Man... this is..." McKayla shook her head to herself as she stared at her face in the mirror.

She needed a night to herself, she deserved a night to herself. She was going out on the town, even if she was flying solo for the evening. It would be one of her only times to be solo. In the near future she would be a mother, and would forever have alittle person tagging along everywhere she went. Tonight would be a 'Good-bye Freedom, Hello Pretty Baby of Mine' night.

After skipping off to the bathroom to turn on the shower and stripping down to nothing, there was a knock on the door and it figured that person would choose that moment to come visit her. She pulled on the complimentary white bathrobe and made her way into the livingroom and over to the white and gold double doors.

She pulled it open to reveal a pissed off Athena staring back at her.

"Have you seen this?" Athena invited herself in and thrust a newspaper at McKayla as she passed.

'Justin's Night on the Town' the headline read.

"Where'd you get this?"

"It's all over the place. The phones are ringing like crazy at Nick's office, everyone wants to know what you have to say about this."

McKayla made a face and grinned at Athena.

"So what's the big deal?"

Athena's jaw dropped.

"The big deal? The big deal? Are you kidding me? He cheated on you McKayla... the tramp talks all about it on page 45, listen," Athena went to take back the magazine but McKayla moved it out of her reach.

"Would you calm down? Just sit down and chill, let me explain something to you," she led the girl to the bed, "take a deep breath... good, now listen. This is the Sun Star, just one of those cheesy papers they sell in grocery stores with headlines like 'Mix Up At Sperm Bank, Woman Gives Birth to Baby Sheep,' no one takes them seriously. You know how many women they have in here claiming to have done something dirty with my husband? I don't even know how many, that's how many. No one listens to them, they're just a crap paper."

"But Kay-," Athena started.

"No buts Athena. It's just a stupid paper and right now everyone's calling because it's a story. My husband is a big deal, anything to do with him, especially something bad, they jump all over. It'll blow over in a few days, always does."

Athena slumped over, not completely put at ease, but feeling better. Moments earlier she's been so mad she's contemplated going by Justin's, punching him out, even though he could easily break her with one hand, and then coming by McKayla's room to tell her.

"You know what you need? You need to party."

"Huh? No," Athena shook her head.

"Sure you do, all this running out, freaking out, working. You're just as well worn as I am. You need to get out, dance, have some fun. Come party with me tonight."

Athena started to shake her head.

"Come on, you know you want too," McKayla pushed, "it'll be fun," she gave her a smile.

"All right... all right...whatever," she looked down at her jeans and tee-shirt, "I'm gonna go home and change."

"Perfect, and you shall swing back by my place and pick me up darling," McKayla stood.

Athena gave her a look, "Uh yeah... see you later."


" "

"Why am I here again?" Athena followed McKayla up the stairs.

"Because you need a night of sun, and you love me and didn't want me to be here alone."

"I think it was more the first part than the last part."

"Well, if you would quit complaining and start enjoying, you might actually learn to like it.

Some woman brushed up against Athena in a sleazy way on her way to the bar and the girl shuttered.

"Uh... I don't think so," Athena said.

McKayla's eyes rolled and she grabbed the girl's hands and pulled her further into the crowded VIP section. She was pretty sure she was the only celebrity there, partly because she hadn't bothered to bring any security with her.

"If I'm going to do this, I'm going to need a drink. You want?"

McKayla's hand raised to her stomach.

"No thanks, I'm cool."

"Oh yeah," Athena glanced down, "I forgot. Be back," she dashed off past her friend.

The girls had sat at a table for a while, sipping drinks and talking animatedly about other people on the floor before a young man came up, asking Athena to dance. It'd been expected, she was a gorgeous girl, even if she didn't see it. McKayla had shooed her away, saying she'd be fine on her own. A few minutes later, Athena having affectively disappeared into the crowd, McKayla stood up and made her way towards the bar, finally thirsty. Either that or having nothing better to do. For all the press this place was getting, it wasn't as awesome as they'd made it appear to be.

McKayla pushed her way into a spot at the bar and ordered a coke before scooping out all the people vying for a spot beside her. Girls were forcing their way to the counter as sleazy men hung out on their stools and tried to pick up on them as the ladies came and went. Luckily, none of them were checking her out. She'd had enough of those types of guys a long time again. Give her a sparkly eyed, Southern gentlemen any day.

There was a powerful force behind her and she was flung into the guy infront of her, sending him into the guy next to him and effectively spilling his drink everywhere.

"Awww shit," the guy looked down at the front of his silk shirt, now a deep wet contrast to what it had been.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry," McKayla's hand raised to her mouth, "I don't know what happened, I just..."

"McKayla?"

Someone behind her said her name and she turned.

"Trace?"

"McKayla."

Trace looked to his left as Justin stepped up beside him.

"Justin."

Justin looked at his friend, and then at the woman next to him.

"McKayla?"

"Justin?"

She looked at them both. What were they doing there, of all nights nonetheless?

"Christ lady, you need to start looking where you're going."

McKayla's head snapped to the now yelling man infront of her.

"I'm so sorry, listen I--."

"This is an expensive shirt. It didn't come from Kmart ya know."

"Sir, I'd be more than happy to pay for--."

"Damn bitch."

Her speech halted and her eyebrows raised.

"Excuse me?"

"I hope you plan on replacing this, or atleast giving me some for the damage," he looked her up and down.

Well, she had been willing to replace the shirt and the drink before, but that was out the window. Her lips curled up in disgust and a hand went to her hip automatically.

"Listen buddy, I apologized for shoving you, but it wasn't my fault, I was pushed too. I refuse to replace something that wasn't my fault."

"Oh no, you are gonna pay for this shirt!" his finger pointed at her. "And you are gonna replace that drink!"

A few people near then had stopped talking and turned to watch the debate, but most people were unaware anything was happening because they're voices couldn't be heard over the music.

"I'm not doing shit."

"Did you hear me?"

"I heard you and I said I'm not doing a damn thing."

The man outright growled at her and raised his hand, open palmed, into the air. It was done out of what McKayla assumed to be frustration because she wasn't obeying his orders or jumping into his bed. Regardless, it looked alittle to much like anger for someone else because the next thing she knew there was a hand jerking on her wrist to pull her back and a person was standing infront of her.

"You lay one finger on her and I swear you'll wish you'd never been born."

She'd said it before and she'll say it again. Her husband wasn't intimidated by anyone.

The two men eyed eachother up, one of them obviously recognizing the other.

"What's she to you?"

"My wife. And I meant what I said."

The man's eyes narrowed alittle more before he stalked off. Justin continued staring at the people around them before they turned back to their own conversations before he turned to her.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Thanks."

"What are you doing here?" he grabbed her arm, gently, yet firmly. "Why isn't security with you? Do you know what could have happened to you? An unsuspecting young woman. And your pregnant. Have you been drinking?"

"No, I haven't been drinking. What is it with the third degree?" she pulled her arm out of his grip, her anger at the man that had just disappeared now transferring to him.

Justin stood up straight and looked around them before glancing at Trace who just nodded in understanding. Justin grabbed his wife's hand again and pulled her to the corner of the room, and behind a purple curtain that she didn't even notice before. She guessed it was some kind of 'VIP for the VIPees' place because it was so private.

"What are you doing? Why are we back here?"

"So I can talk to you without people gawking. What are you doing here?"

"Having a good time," she said it like he should have known.

His eyes slide down to the small bump on her stomach and she crossed her arms with annoyance.

"I already told you I wasn't drinking. I just ordered and soda and that'll be the last one I have for however many months because the caffeine's bad for the baby."

His features softened alittle.

"Are you sure you're all right?"

"I'm fine. I don't need you to come running and save me."

"I'd apologize but I'm not sorry. That guy was about to hit you."

"He was just angry," she didn't really believe that.

"He was pissed off," Justin corrected. He'd heard the yelling and seen the gleam in the man's eyes. "I'm just doing my job, being your husband, taking care of you and my baby."

McKayla put her hands on her hips again and sighed. She forgave him, but she didn't really want too. She appreciated his stepping on a bad situation, she didn't appreciate being reprimanded on the dance floor.

"So how are you?" she asked.

"I'm good."

She nodded.

"So what brought you out here?"

McKayla crossed he arms over her chest.

"I was bored. Thought maybe I'd come out and have a good time. This place isn't all that great though. Full of losers, present company excepted."

Justin chuckled, "Thanks."

McKayla shrugged. The Ying-Yang Twins' Salt Shaker buzzed through out the room and Justin pulled a phone from his pocket and flipped it open, ending the music. McKayla giggled to herself. Figures he'd have something like that.

She tuned out as he had his conversation, her mind not going anywhere in particular, except to the fact that she really liked the way he was looking in those low khakis.

"That was Trace," he flipped the phone closed again and slid it back into his pocket, "he said that loud girlfriend of yours was taking off and he's going with her."

"Athena? She's leaving me here? She was my ride."

Justin shrugged. He knew that, and that was exactly why he'd hinted to Trace that he might be partied out and wanted to hitch a ride with someone. Hint hint. Aka, get the hell outta here.

"Well, how am I gonna...?" her voice trailed off as Justin wiggled his eyebrows.

"So, it's kinda crowded, wanna get outta here?"


Athena was giggling at Trace's antics. Once he'd exited her vehicle he'd shouted a 'love you' at her (in a friendly way ofcourse) and she'd replied with 'you're sexy.' He did alittle booty dance for her on his way to his door. She could see what Shannon found so appealing about him. He truly was adorable.

She pulled down the driveway and out onto the main street, preparing to make the surprisingly short drive to her apartment. Christina Aguilera's What A Girl wants came on her CD player and she turned up the volume as she pulled up to a stop sign. She looked both ways, like the good driver she was, before heading across the street. She never saw the drunk driver come swerving down the street, and the driver never saw the stop sign.


McKayla's eyebrow raised and suddenly she got it. He so set this up. Regardless, she couldn't deny his offer, or maybe she just didn't want too.

"You're giving me a ride home and nothing more."

"Ofcourse."

"And by home I mean my hotel, not your house."

He wasn't sure how much he liked her thinking of a hotel as her home and not the house they used to, and would again one day, share together.

"Got it," he nodded.

She followed him out of the room, through VIP, and over to the stairs and led down to the main floor. The club security encircled them there and Justin took her hand as they made way towards the exit. She ignored the familiar tingles that ran through her body at his touch.

After successfully making their way into his car and pulling away from the club undisturbed McKayla wondered what she was supposed to say next. It was a good twenty minute drive from the club to her hotel, and sitting in an inclosed space alone with your estranged husband was not a good way to spend it.

"So..." he started.

McKayla leaned forward to change the station, "So what?"

So it sucked not knowing what to say to her.

"So, how are things?"

McKayla sighed as she leaned back and looked at him lazily through her bangs.

"I think we know eachother alittle too well for that kind of small talk. Cut to the chase," she knew there was a point to why he wanted her with him so bad.

"All right, why haven't you come home yet?" he put one hand on the wheel and turned his body towards her slightly.

McKayla's eyes rolled as she slumped over in the seat against the door.

"Why is it every time we're together we have this conversation?"

"Because you keep missing your cue. I'm supposed to say, 'Baby, when are you coming home?' and you're supposed to say, 'Right now, let's go home right now.' But for some reason, you keep messing up."

"Justin, I asked you to please, just let me have this time to figure out-."

"What is there to figure out? I don't get it. You married me, you married me McKayla, you were sure about it then. You were sure about us. You were sure about me."

"Well, that was then."

"What's so different about now?"

"You haven't thrown glasses at me before, we hadn't argued our way into having a baby before, things weren't so complicated before."

"That is such BS and you know it McKayla."

"I really--I really don't wanna fight with you Randall."

"I don't wanna fight with you either but..." he sighed as they pulled up around the back of her hotel, "How long do you expect me to wait for you Kay?"

"What?" she looked up at him.

"You're pretty much saying it's over..." no she wasn't, technically, "... And though I don't believe you, how long do you expect me to hold out for you?"

McKayla's eyes were widening by the second, a red light going off in her brain. She'd been asking him to wait for her, it never occurred to her that he may not want too, or that one day she'd be waiting for him. Regardless, she wasn't backing down from her position. Infact, how dare he threaten her with infidelity. They were still married, so technically anything he did with anyone besides her was cheating.

"I don't know Justin, why don't you tell me when you find out."

She exited the car with a huff and jogged up the stairs into the building. She was just crawling into bed with weery legs when her phone rang from it's base. She groaned, just wanting the nightmare night to end, and climbed over the other side of the bed and over to the device. It was Shannon's number on caller ID.

"What up?"

"McKayla?"

"Yeah."

"It's Shannon."

"I know. What's going on?"

"Listen, I think you need to come over to Colma Creek Hospital, quick."

McKayla's back straightened as her ears perked up.

"Why?"

"It's Athena. There's been an accident."


So here she was again. Same dark brown door infront of her, same shaky hands with sweaty palms. She had no idea what had compelled her to come here this time either. She'd just been in the car, watching the streetlights as she passed them. They were still on even though the sun was coming up and the sky was a bright orange.

Her body was numb and her face emotionless as she reached into her pocket and pulled out her key. She didn't even bother to knock this time, just opened the door and walked in like she would have 3 months earlier, like nothing was wrong. She dropped her purse on the foyer table and narrowed her eyes at herself in the mirror. She was a mess. She'd been at the hospital all night, and then come straight over here.

From the corner of her eye McKayla spotted Justin at the bottom of the stairs. He'd been awake, and hear her car pull into the gravel driveway. He'd gotten the news about Athena about half an hour before, when Trace had gotten a call from Shannon, asking that he come stay with her for a while so she wouldn't be alone.

The worst had happened to the small close knit group. The girl was gone.

Athena was dead.

Justin stopped where he was, not sure of what to say to her. He'd never exactly been in this position before.

I don't know why I'm here," she turned to him and he could see that her face was tired and her skin slightly pale. Far from the red lipped, fun-loving woman he'd known, "I don't even know for sure how I got here."

"How are you?" he asked. It was probably a stupid question but he was new at this.

She shrugged in response.

"Shannon's freaking out, rightfully so. I don't think she's know a lot of people that have died before. She's just kinda... lost it. Someone should really stay with her the next couple of days. She and Athena were really good friends, this is gonna hit her really hard."

"Trace is on it," he said standing next to her and looking down at the side of her face as she turned back to the mirror, "but I didn't ask about Shannon. I said, 'How are you doing?'"

"I'm all right, I guess," she wiped her face and sniffled alittle, "I've dealt with this stuff before, unfortunately. I know what to expect. I can handle it."

Justin watched her silently with uncertainty.

"She was gone before I got to the hospital. They said she had a good chance and they were working on her but, she was already gone. They said she never felt a thing, never saw it coming."

His arms started aching, to reach out and hold her as she started to cry softly. He hated seeing her in pain, having to deal with something he couldn't fix or help her through. He put a hand on her shoulder, not sure of how much contact she wanted, but wanting her to know he was there for her.

He'd said for better for worse, he'd meant every single syllable.

"I just keep thinking," she sniffed and turned to him, pushing her bangs out of her eyes. Her locks had faded into a less bright brownish red, and was pulled up in a clip, although her bangs and some too short wisps hung around her face. "I just keep thinking about how she was with me one-second and gone the next. How she wouldn't have been out if I hadn't drug her with me."

"Kay," he whispered her name while squeezing her arm.

He didn't like her thinking like that. This was in no way her fault. She wasn't the one that had had eight beers and decided it was fine to get into a 4x4 and drive home.

"I keep thinking about how she just dropped into my life so fast, kind of the way you did. And now she's gone and I'll never get another chance to do... anything. And I just don't want that to happen with you. I don't want to wake-up and find out that I don't have a shot at anything with you anymore. I don't want to lose you. I don't wanna do anything but be with you. I don't wanna think about it us, I don't wanna think about what I want because I don't want anything but to be here with you."

A few lone tears ran down her cheeks as he slid his arms around her and pulled her close, careful of the small bump in her tummy. Her arms hugged him back, so incredibly tight as she finally felt comfort and support for the first time in months. She didn't know how much she'd missed him until this moment right here, when he was squeezing her and whispering in her ear.

"I'm sorry," she said, "I'm so sorry. We used to be so beautiful and I messed it all up. I'm so sorry I hurt you. I didn't mean too. I didn't mean it. Please don't leave me."

"Shhh. You didn't mess anything up baby. I'm still here, I'm not gonna leave you. Never."

His lips touched her temple several times, and then her forehead, and then under her eyes and he kissed away her tears. She could feel her frantic heartbeat slowing down at the contact. He was an aphrodisiac and a suppressant at the same time.

His face hovered above hers, his lips so dangerously close she could feel his breath warming her skin. He wanted to, but he wasn't sure what she wanted. He leaned down slowly, giving her time to process it all and pull away if she wanted to, before he placed a gentle kiss on her slightly parted lips. As he pulled away, he felt her arms tightening.

At the moment, McKayla was alittle emotional. One of her close friends had just passed on, and she was standing in the arms of a man she hadn't touched in months. The yearn she felt for him, coupled with all the emotion made her feel everything to the extreme. She felt extreme comfort, and extreme support, and extreme love both for him and from him, and an extreme need kiss him until everything faded away. Until he took her to that place where she felt elated and untouchable, like she had on their honeymoon, like she had when he flown in from Australia and showed up in her hotel room in New York to tell her he loved her. Like she had every other time he kissed her.

She raised on her tiptoes and he could feel it in the way she moved. His hand slid to the back of her head. He had to get used to the fact that her hair wasn't going to fall all around his fingers, the way it had before she'd cut it. But the strands were still silky soft the way he remembered.

McKayla was alittle tentative as Justin touched his nose to hers softly. Holding her so close to him felt so nice. Finally she just let it go and let her lips touch his, in a slightly subdued way before her lips turned eager and hungry. His fingertips pressed into her flesh as he kissed her, making up for missed 'good mornings'. He kissed her, making up for all the kisses they'd missed during sleepless nights alone. He kissed her, making up for unsaid 'I love yous' and 'I missed yous'. He kissed her till all of her pain dissipated.

And she was elated.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki