This Way (Our Love Story Series part 3) by Coffee


Number of reviews: 2
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


A week later Emerald had another follow-up appointment with her doctor. She'd somewhat mentioned on the phone when she made the appointment that she was feel sluggish and might need some kind of medication. She didn't want to go into full detail about everything that was happening.

"So how are we feeling Emerald? Any better since you called?"

"No, not really. I'm still tired all the time. I have alittle trouble concentrating on things. I get these headaches and sometimes I forget things."

"Feeling any other changes?" the doctor reached up and rubbed his hands over Emerald's neck, feeling for swolleness.

"No. I don't know. Everything is so different. I expected different and I expected things to change but, not like this," she shook her head.

Dr.Masters looked at her a moment before putting his hands on the bed no either side of her.

"Emerald, how are things at home? Besides the symptoms I mean? How are things with you and Justin? You and the baby? You and Isaiah?"

"Me and Isaiah are great. Closer than ever. We go out and do things together all the time," mostly because neither of them wanted to be at home with Justin and the baby.

"You and the baby?"

"Good I guess. I don't get to see her that much cause I'm always so busy. She spends alot of time with her Dad."

"And Justin?"

Her shoulders slumped.

"Things are weird with him now. It's like I'm not even there, like Isaiah not there. All he sees is Angel, all he wants it that damn baby," she paused, "I can't believe I just said that."

Dr. Masters nodded, assuming she was talkin about saying 'damn baby'. In reality she was ashamed she called Neveah Angel.

"It's alright. Feelings like these are expected of people in your condition."

"My condition."

"Emerald, I believe you are suffering from postpardom depression. That mixed with the status of your marriage could make you as stressed and unhappy as you seem to be."

"What? What is post pardum depression?"

"It's a syndrome affecting millions of new mothers in the country. It comes from feeling overwhelmed with the changes brought along with having a baby."

"What does my marriage have to do with this?"

"Well it doesn't help that your upset and you feel like Justin's forgotten you."

Emerald sighed and ran a hand over her face.

"I wish for things to be the way they were before."

"Before the baby?"

She sighed.

"I love my daughter but, I dunno. Sometimes I hate to say it, but sometimes I wish she weren't here."

He placed a comforting hand on her knee.

"I know, and that's normal, as long as you don't act on that feeling. But the problems between you and your husband didn't begin until Neveah came, so it's normal for you to feel some resentment. Emerald I'm going to prescribe to you some pills. They'll help with the tiredness and the forgetfullness."

"And everything else?"

"Well, your marriage, you'll have to work on."

"Joy," she muttered taking the prescription.

"Take 2 every morning, no more no less. In a few days you'll feel much better."

Emerald took the paper from his hand and slid off the table.

"Don't worry Emerald. Post partum usually doesn't last long."

The drive back home was a long one as she looked at the bottle in her hand and thought over the situation. She'd never expected anything like this to happen, these were supposed to be the best years of her life. She was only in her 20's and now she was depressed? Emerald sighed as she pulled up to their large home. As the days went on it started to feel more and more like a prison. It wasn't happy, it wasn't warm, it wasn't home.

As soon as she opened the door Isaiah came barreling towards her.

"Mom, wanna go to the movies. A bunch of new ones are opening today, we can so see them all," he said.

"All? I dunno-."

"Come on Mom, I've been home all day. I wanna go somewhere."

"Why don't you go pick one and we'll see."

He took off running towards the stairs, for a moment glancing towards the room where she assumed Justin was. A basketball game was on the big TV and she walked over to stand in the doorway. Justin was in the middle of the sofa, Neveah perched in his lap leaning back against him.

"See that? That's called double dribble. You can't do that. You can't dribble, and then stop, and then dribble again. Understand?"

Neveah made some noise and Justin smiled.

"It's alright, you got plenty of time to learn. When you grow up your gonna be the best damn chick ball player in the world. And we'll make then give you the number 1/2 and you can say, 'It's all cause of my Daddy.' Can you say Daddy, Angel?"

She made several noises and Justin picked her up to hold her against his chest.

"It's alright. We have time for that one too. You're only a few weeks old. But you'll be talkin and singin and playin ball in no time. We Timberlakes are fast learners."

Emerald watched him as he watched her start to doze off. He turned down the TV and placed a kiss on her forehead, gently rocking her.

"I love you Angel baby," he said to her.

Emerald shifted and the floorboards under her squeeked. Justin looked up and offered her a grin, the first one directed her way in weeks.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi."

Were they going to have a conversation now? The doorbell sounded. Guess not. Justin stood up carefully and made his way past her towards the door. Emerald sighed and leaned back against the doorframe.

"Hey man," she recognised the voice and felt somewhat as ease. This person was the only one who didn't seem to completely forget about her.

"Look Angel, it's Uncle JC. Can you say JC baby?"

"Justin, she's a month old."

"So? Just wait, tomorrow she'll be like, 'Daddy I don't like this, pass me something else.' Just watch."

JC snorted and followed Justin into the house. He spotted Emerald near the kitchen and walked over to her.

"Hey Ma."

"Hi," she welcomed his hug.

JC stepped back and looked at her face.

"What's going on? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she waved him off, "I'm just sleepy."

She smiled and he didn't believe her.

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Mom-Hey Uncle C-Mom, there's a movie started in 20 minutes, can we go?"

Emerald scratched at her forehead and cleared her throat.

"Go ask your father."

"Why?" Isaiah gave her a look and held his hands up, "What for?"

"Because I asked you too."

Isaiah rolled his eyes and headed off towards the family room, "Fine but he's just gonna ignore me anyways."

JC turned to look back at her and opened his mouth to ask what that was all about but she cut him off.

"I'm fine Jayce, go see your brother and his daughter," she gently shoved him towards the family room and headed back into the kitchen.

JC's brow furrowed as he wondered what exactly was going on in this house. When he stepped into the family room he found Isaiah standing infront of Justin, who clearly wasn't half interesting in what his son was saying.

"So can we go?"

"Go ask your Mother."

"She's the one who told me to come ask you."

"Well Isaiah, if she's willing to take you then go," he was clearly irritated in a nonthreatening way.

Isaiah rolled his eyes and stomped off. JC looked at Justin. Did he miss something?

"Is something going on? I come at a bad time?"

"No. What do you mean is something going on? What are you talkin about?"

JC raised an eyebrow. Did he not see his wife's face or the way his son just stomped away? JC just shrugged.

"Lemme hold her," he said.

Justin looked at him skeptically for a moment before he handed her over.

"Just be careful with her," he said.

"Dude, I got her. Beat it will ya," he was hoping Justin would go talk to his family about what was creating the tension in the air.

"Well, I do need to go do something. I'll be right back."

JC watched Justin leave the room, headed towards the kitchen, and walk right past Emerald and out to the garage without so much as an exhale in her direction. JC looked down at his niece and sighed.

"Your Daddy has to be the biggest blockhead I know Neveah-Angel. He's clueless isn't he?"


About Three Weeks Later

Emerald had been taking her pills daily as Dr. Maters had directed. She was pleasantly surprised when they started to take effect. She wasn't as tired or moody, she had a happier outlook on her life, and they seemed to be helping her ignore her husband sudden personality change. So when her mother called suggesting they have a barbeque, with Emerald providing the food, she didn't see any reason to decline.

"He is so good with her," her mother commented as Emerald returned to the deck in the backyard.

She was looking out at Justin as he pretended to make Neveah walk over to the swing set, talkin to her all the way. Than he sat down with her in his lap and start to swing slowly.

"Yeah is," Emerald agreed.

As much as she wished he didn't spend so much time with her, she had to admit he was amazing with her. Her mother watched her get a far off look in her eyes.

"Is everything alright?" she asked.

"Yeah Mom, I'm fine."

"I'm your mother, you can't lie to me. Now come on," she put an arm around her daughters shoulders, "Tell me what's going on."

"It's just, Justin's been really weird since the baby."

"Weird how?"

"Like he doesn't know I'm around. Like he doesn't want me anymore. He hasn't touched me since Neveah came," Emerald looked at her mother, the pain evident in her eyes.

"Oh sweetheart, are you okay?"

"Yeah. The doctor gave me these pills a couple of weeks ago. They're working really well, it's almost like things are getting back to normal."

Almost.

"What is it with men Mama? You give them a couple of kids and suddenly they don't need you," Emerald asked.

"Somewhere in the mix we become mothers, chefs, accountants, chefaurs, madis, and stylists, but we stop being their wives. We stop being women, they forget we need attention too. You know I sufferend from post pardum when I had you, Emerald."

"Really?" she looked at her, "How did you get through it Mama?"

"Well, my situation was different. Your father hadn't put me on the back burner just yet. But I was just so overwhelmed with you. I hadn't gone to college I didn't know how to support you, I didn't know what having a baby was like. After awhile it just kinda faded."

"I'm not that lucky I guess."

"Well, you're lucky in other ways," she brushed the hair off of Emerald's face, "But this too shall pass."

Her mother than excused herself and headed for the house.

"Can you bring Isaiah out with you Mama? It's time to eat."

"Sure sweetheart."

"Just! Time for lunch!" she called out to him.

Emerald set to work putting out all the plates and things as Justin walked towards the house. When he climbed the stairs to the deck she turned to him.

"Hey did you want-," he moved right past her, talkin to Neveah.

Emerald watched him for a moment before turning and walking back into the house. She looked around for her mother or her son before going over to her purse and pulling out the bottle of pills. She looked at the directions, 2 in the morning only. She knew it was going over the dosage, but she really needed it right now. She popped the top and took one. Then she turned back towards the porch and looked at Justin. Emerald picked up the bottle and took another one out before putting the bottle back. She might need that one later.

"Come on dear," her mother touched her arm on her way by with Isaiah.

"I'm coming," she smiled.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki