This Way (Our Love Story Series part 3) by Coffee


Number of reviews: 2
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


"Now your wife, Emerald, right?"

"Yeah."

"Does she sing? She was a singer right?" Meredith looked to the other ladies for clarification.

"Yeah, that's what she was doing when we met actually."

"Right, I read that somewhere," Star nodded.

"Does she have a nice voice?"

"A beautiful voice. She's amazing."

"Ofcourse he's gonna say that," Joy gave him a knowing look.

He laughed, somewhat nervously for comical affect and Meredith shook her head before returning to the topic.

"She was in a girl group right?"

"Yeah."

"Are they still together?"

"No, they all kinda went there seperate ways when things went crazy with us. They're still friends though, they talk on the phone, they come to visit, she goes to visit them."

"You know what I think, I think you should do a song with your wife," Joy patted his leg.

"Huh?"

"Yeah! You know, be like a Faith and Tim for pop music," Star added.

"I asked her about that and she was like, "No, I'm happy takin care of you and Isaiah."

"Yeah right," Joy muttered.

"Joy! Why do you have to be so negative?" Meredith tilted her head.

"Please, she's happy being in his shadow. Come on. It's one thing if she said, "Baby, I put you where you are and that's good enough for me," but happy taking care of you, come on!"

Justin howled with laughter.

"It's possible for a woman to be content with taking care of her family."

Star gave Meredith a 'hmph' and turned back to Justin.

"Justin how did you meet her?"

"Well, JC drolled on her-."

"What? He what?"

"He drolled on her, it was everywhere. All over him, down his chin, on her-."

"Thanks. Thanks thanks thanks," Joy rolled her eyes.

"Well, she took one of my teeshirts to change into and we talked for a minute. I thought she was cool, she was bananas so-."

"Bananas? What-?"

"Shush Joy, go ahead Justin."

"So I turned on the Timberlake charm and she was in the pan."

Emerald sat watching one of the many tapes she had of him. She'd continued recording them over the years, even after they were married. She wanted them there for him to look at when he was older, so their children would understand who he was and what he did, what he was like when he was younger. Atleast that's why she recorded them, now she played them because she wanted to hear him say her name. He hadn't done that much lately, his voice it's self had faded from her mind into a distant whisper. It was like he was gone and all she had were the quick flashes of his smiles and 'I love you's. Emerald glanced at the clock before clicking off the tape and the tv and standing up.

"Time," she said to herself.

She grabbed her keys and purse off the chair adjacent to the sofa and headed towards the door.

"Mom, where you going?!" Isaiah called, running down the stairs when he heard the front door open.

"The doctor's."

"Again?"

"Yep."

"Can I go?"

"You don't wanna go."

"Yes I do! I can look at the brochures and stuff."

"Try me sweetie, you don't want to go. It's a female doctor thing."

His face squished up in disgust.

"See told ya," she smiled, "Be back later baby," she stepped out the door.

It'd been a nearly two months since she got her first perscription from Dr. Masters. They had helped her depression considerably, she was tired and irritable anymore. She also found that in higher doses they worked twice as well. Whenever a situation was beginning to be to much for her handle, all she had to do was take one and minutes later it was like a wave of calm and happiness washed over her. She couldn't figure out why the hospital wouldn't just let people take them at will, it was a really stupid rule. Regardless, it was a rule.

Because she took so many a day, she quickly ran out of re-fills, meaning she needed to go get another prescription. But Emerald was no idiot. She knew that Dr. Masters was going to ask questions as to why they were gone so fast. For that reason, she went to a different doctor. Then she was called away on business and she accidently left her pills in the hotelroom she was staying at. So she went to a third doctor to get more, and then a forth to get even more incase she lost the 3rd bottle. The pills had become the focus of her life, the most important thing on her mind. She had to have them within her fingertips, she had to be on a high before she could function at all. There were mornings where she couldn't even get out of bed before digging into the little pill box she had stashed in her nightstand.

Somewhere in the back of her mind she knew she had a problem, maybe even an addiction, but she pretty much had it justified. If it made her okay, and made her function correctly and kept some of the pain away, what was wrong with that? She wasn't hurting herself or anyone else, and it wasn't technically illegal, she didn't think. All she knew was she didn't want to have a night like the one she had the day of the picnic.

It was early morning and Emerald Timberlake was still in bed alone. The house was silent, her mother having left and Isaiah in bed. But her husband never joined her after putting the baby down. Despite the fact that they were emotionally distant, she needed him there. It assure her that her thoughts of him having an affair were obsured, even though they weren't.

Emerald got up, pulled her robe over her body, and headed down the hall. She went to the baby's room first, thinking maybe he'd fallen asleep there, or was just standing there watching her as he had many times before. The baby was alone. She peeked in on Isaiah, who was sound asleep and alone. She grumbled to herself and headed down the stairs and into the living room. No one. The kitchen. No one. She went down the final short flight of stairs into the family room and spotted him there on the sofa, sound asleep. There was a beige blanket over him and a white pillow over him. The realization that he was there one purpose hit her like a ton of bricks.

She turned and ran back up the stairs into her bed room, closing the door behind herself so she could sob undisturbed. Throwing herself into the middle of the bed she snatched her pillow and pulled it to her face to muffle her cries. It hurt. It dug deep like a knife. He picked the sofa, over their bed. He didn't want to sleep with her. He didn't want to be with her at all. It was like they were acquatences, not a happily married couple.

Emerald didn't know how much more she could take. Yes, she loved him. Yes, the pills helped. But this wasn't the first time she'd cried in secret, she didn't know if she had many more tears left. She sniffled and dug into her purse for her phonebook insearch of a number she never thought she'd use. Picking up the phone with a shaky hand she dialed the number and listened to it ring a few times before the voicemail picked up.

"Hi Mr. Guthrie, this is Emerald, Emerald Timberlake. I know it's early but this was the only chance I had to call you. I--I wanted to know if you could do me a favor. I need some seperation papers pulled up for Justin and I. Please call me back on my cellphone when you get this," she rattled off the number and hugn up the phone gently.

Her tears were gone, her body completely still, her eyes staring at the phone with caution. She was in shock. In shock with herself, with her situation, with her actions, with herself. She didn't know what else to do.

Shaking the memory from her mind Emerald pulled into the parkinglot. After looking herself over she slide on her shades and stepped out of the SUV. It was time to play the role she played best.


Justin strolled into the kitchen, and pulled open the fridge, in search of something to quench his thirst. His face fell when he found only water bottles and milk.

"Damn," he muttered closing the door as the garage door opened.

Emerald walked in, looking flushed yet depressed with her dark shades.

"Em there's nothing to drink in there," he said.

She glanced at him, and then turned to the fridge, openin the door and looking for herself.

"Go to the store," she said.

"Can you go to the store?"

She scoffed. No way was she buying his ass anything. Not anymore.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I'm busy."

"Doing what?" he stood across the kitchen.

"What's it to you?" she snapped.

"What?"

"Nothing," she let out a sigh and popped her gum.

Justin squinted at her, looking her over for the first time.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she replied before turning her back, "I'm going to take a bath."

Justin watched her walk away, an uneasy feeling settling in his stomach. Something was different, something had changed about her. Peering into the family room to find Neveah still asleep in her playpen, he headed up the stairs into his bedroom after his wife. When he walked in Emerald had already locked herself in the bathroom. He hesitated at the bathroom door for a moment before turning back towards the bedroom. As he passed one of the closet a ringing sounded. He stepped into the room and saw her cellphone sitting on a jewelry box.

"Probably forgot to put it in the charger again," he picked it up and looked down at the caller ID.

It was her mother. But rather than answer it, he decided to just let it go to voicemail. If she wanted to talk to him or Isaiah, she'd call the house. As he turned to leave the room, pressing 'end' to stop the ringing, something white caught his eye. It sat in an open drawer, under some other clothes. Curiosity got the best of him as he glanced towards the bathroom before stepping over to the drawer and pulling it open. He picked up the thick packet of papers and turned them over.

"Seperation?" he questioned, his brow furrowing as he read them over, "She wants to seperate?"

Justin's hurt quickly grew into anger as he stormed from the room, prepared to burst into the bathroom and ask her what the hell was going on. With his hand on the knob he told himself to stop. Running in there and jumping down her throat wasn't going to do anything but start a fight if he knew his Emerald. No, he needed calm down so he could talk, he needed to get himself in control, he needed to sit. Moving over to the bed he sat down slowly, looking at the crumpled papers in his hand.

How could she? How dare she?! She wanted to seperate from him? Why? What for? They had two children and how many years together? What made her think of this? Why didn't she just come to him and tell him? How long had she had these? Was she really planning on using them? There were too many questions running through his mind, he needed to get grip and sort them all out before she came out of the bathroom. His chance didn't come however, but not 10 seconds later did the door open and Emerald step out in a white cotton bathrobe.

He looked up at her sharply, his eyes blazing before he checked himself. She looked at him, and then turned to the closet to get something to sleep in. She felt his eyes following his figure as she entered the room and muttered to herself about what was up his butt. The moment she stepped through the doorway she felt his eyes boring into her again and she looked up.

"What?" she asked annoyed.

"What are these?" he asked as calmly as possible, holding up the papers for her too see.

The color drained from her face and she froze instantly. Justin snickered to himself, she wasn't so rude now.

"Your not answering me Emerald. What are these?" he said.

"Where did you get these?" she stepped forward and ripped them from his hands, "Are you going through my things now?"

"Apparently I have too. What are you doing with those Emerald? Do you wanna leave me?" he stood up to follow her and she walked to the other side of the room.

"I never said that did I?"

"Well then what the hell is going on around here?!" he shouted.

Emerald jumped at his change in tone and closed her eyes momentarily before looking at him.

"You and I haven't been happy for awhile Justin."

He gave a look as if she was nuts.

"What are you talkin about Emerald? Ofcourse we're happy, we just had a baby."

"No you just had a baby! Things haven't been the same since so I thought maybe we needed some time apart."

"Well were you going to give them to me?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"I don't know. Maybe one day if things got bad enough. I didn't think about what to do with them. I just asked for them."

"You don't just go around asking for divorce papers Emerald!"

"Would you get off my damn back?! Jesus Christ man, when did you suddenly start caring about what was going on with me anyway?"

"When did I stop?"

"You tell me."

"Hey, your the one that's never here."

Emerald's jaw dropped and she pointed a hand at herself.

"Me? I'm the one that's never here?"

"Yes. You. You're gone all the time, off doing whatever, with who ever. You barely take Isaiah anywhere with you, you've never taken Angel with you-."

"Oh God! You know this is starting to drive me crazy!"

"What is? What are you talkin about?"

"You! You and every God damn think you do!"

"What did I-."

"The way you treat me. Why do you treat me the way you do?! You barely speak to me, there are times I wonder if you even know I'm in the room. You haven't touched me in months," she paced back and forth pulling at her hair.

"Em, calm down," Justin said slowly.

"I will not calm down! I just-I don't know what to do! I don't know what to do anymore, I can't take this," she raised her hands tot he sides of her face as she started to cry.

Justin watched her, noting the way she was suddenly crumbling as if the weight of the world was pushing against her. She looked weak, alittle broken, maybe even slightly crazed because of her sudden moodswing.

"Can't take what?"

"The way things are!!" she stood up and turned her back.

He knew that already. What he wanted was for her to elaborate.

"Well what do you want?"

"For things to be the way they were. I want everything to go back. I want you to look up and stare when I walk in the room and I want you to kiss me and hold me. Acknowlege me! I just want you to love me like you used to."

"Em, I never stopped. I didn't change anything-."

"Everything changed after Neveah was born. I never thought the other woman in your life would be our daughter."

"Nothing changed. I think it's all in your mind-."

She groaned and stomped her foot.

"Even now I'm screaming for you to listen and you still don't hear me!"

"I hear you but you don't make sense."

She let out a frustrated growl.

"Fine."

"Emerald-."

"No, no nothing's wrong, everything's fine. Fine fine fine," she left the room and headed down the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Justin followed.

"What does it matter?"

"Emerald talk to me. What is going on?"

"Nothing. Nothing Justin, everything great. Everything's just perfect," she picked up her purse from the kitchen counter and dug into it.

Typically, he was still behind her.

"Em-."

"It's nothing Justin so just drop it," she found the bottle she was looking for and reached into the cabinet for a glass.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing," she was holding the glass under the faucet with one hand and trying to open the bottle with the other.

"What are those?"

"Tylenol."

"Don't lie."

"They're. Nothing."

"Yeah, everything's nothing with you at the moment," he reached out and snatched them away.

"Hey!" she slammed the glass on the counter, "Give that back."

"What are these?"

She rolled her eyes, "They're just some pills-."

"These are anti-depressants. Why the hell are you on anti-depressants?"

"Ha! See! You don't even pay enough attention to me to know when I'm sick!"

He leaned his hip against the counter and looked at her. For the first time she looked sick to him. She was alittle slimmer, her eyes were dark, and not just because of the anger coursing through her veins.

"Give them back," she held her hand out.

"No."

"Don't be a dick, give them back."

"No."

She reached for them and he held them above her head.

"Fine! I have more," she stormed into the guest bathroom and came back with another bottle. Justin promptly sntached that from her fingers as well and Emerald smacked herself on the forehead for not being on the ball.

"What the hell-!"

"What is it with you and these pills? Do you have them spread all over the house? Are you hooked on them?"

She laughed.

"Stop being so melodramatic. I'm not hooked and it's not a big deal. God you know, one minute I don't exsist to you and the second you won't get off my back."

He ignore her and read the information on the bottle.

"These are from two different doctors. This one's on the second refill. Does your doctor know your going through these like water?"

"Which one?"

"I don't know! How many do you have?!"

She put a hand to her forehead and sighed.

"You know what," she looked up at him, fire and annoyance in her eyes, "Nevermind," she grabbed her keys.

"Emerald!"

"Nevermind," she was walking towards the door.

"Emerald, come back here."

"I said nevermind Justin. Forget I ever said a word. Just forget the whole fuckin' conversation."

"Emerald don't you walk out of this-," the door slammed shut, "house. Shit," he muttered obsenities to himself and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Dad?"

Justin looked up to see Isaiah standing at the top of the stairs. Angel was wailing in his arms, tears rolling down both their faces.

"Dad what's going on? What happened?" Isaiah questioned.

"Nothing little man," Justin slowly climbed the stairs.

"Where's Mom going?"

"She just went for a drive to calm down," he took Angel from the little boys arms and then took Isaiah's hand, "She'll be back in a little bit. Come on, back to bed."



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki