The Prince & The Pauper by Laurencoz


Number of reviews: 333
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


*Chapter Thirteen*





Olivia took one more look around the block. When she was sure that no one was around, she sat down on the curb and rested her chin on her knees. About ten minutes later she saw him approaching. She frowned and ignored him.

“Olivia!” he called out. “Sorry I’m late.”

She turned her face away. “You were late to pick me up last night, too.”

Ryan sat down beside her. “Look, I know I haven‘t been a very good big brother the last few days. But I‘m trying, kid.”

She looked at the ground. “You haven’t made breakfast in the last few days either, and you forgot to kiss my forehead this morning. You always kiss my forehead before school.”

He sighed. He remembered Justin telling him to take good care of her, but if he was honest with himself, she had been the last thing on his mind, lately. “I’m sorry, Olivia.”

She finally looked at him. “You’re not Justin, are you?”

His mouth fell open. “What?!”

“You don’t have to keep pretending. I know you’re not him. He has a softer voice than you, and your eyes are slightly darker,” she said. “I know my brother, and you’re not him.”

He didn’t know if he should admit the truth, but decided that telling her would help solve a lot of problems. “You’re right. I’m not.”

“You look exactly like him, but I knew it!” she said. “So who exactly are you?”

He smiled, and held out his hand. “Prince Ryan Phillipe, my dear. Nice to meet you.”

“Prince Ryan?!” Olivia’s eyes went wide.

He just laughed.

***


Ryan held Olivia’s hand as they walked inside the busy shopping center. “This place is huge!” she said, intimidated.

“You’ve never been to the mall before?” he asked incredulously. He learned quickly that Olivia was smarter than most kids her age. When he told her that Justin was at the palace, she knew right away that he had done it for Princess Emaria. Then she had guessed that Ryan had a crush on Samantha. He learned that Olivia was very observant and to never underestimate her again.

She shook her head. “Not very often. We can’t afford to shop here.”

“Well today’s your lucky day, Miss Olivia. Let’s pretend you’re a princess and you can afford anything you want.”

She looked up with him with the same wide eyes she’d been giving him all evening. “Anything I want?”

He smiled down at her and nodded. “Do kids at school ever tease you because of what you’re wearing?”

She nodded sadly. “Sometimes, but I’m used to it. Beauty is on the inside, Prince Ryan.”

He smiled at her innocence. “You’re right. What you’re wearing doesn’t matter. But starting today, no one is ever going to tease you again. We’re going to go in all these stores and find you some new clothes. You can have as many as you want.”

“Thank you, Ryan…I mean…Justin,” she said, winking at him. He looked up and noticed Sam heading his way, in a uniform. They had just walked into her store.

“Hey, you two!” She exclaimed. She gave Olivia a hug first and then hugged Ryan. “You just missed my break, but you’re welcome to stay in the store and chat with me until more customers come in.”

Olivia smiled, mischievously. “I think I’m going to try some things on. You two take your time and talk for as long as you want.”

As she skipped away, Sam raised an eyebrow. “Is it just me, or did it seem like Olivia was setting us up?”

Ryan shrugged. "She's a smart girl." He’d have to thank Olivia later.

***


Ryan sat alone on The Tower’s balcony watching the sunrise. It was Saturday and he couldn’t believe he was up this early. Usually at this hour he’d be nestled into his enormous bed, fast asleep. He thought about the last time he had been up in The Tower with Samantha. He thought of her smile and wished she was here to watch the sunrise with him. But today, there was no possible way that she could. Today was the day he and Justin were supposed to switch back.

Justin approached The Tower and saw Ryan already sitting at the top. He dropped his bag and began to climb the ladder. He reached the top and took a seat next to Ryan. “Hey man. Are you dying to trade me back by now?”

Ryan shook his head. “You don’t know how lucky you are.”

Justin looked surprised. “Lucky? You’re the one who’s lucky. You have the perfect life, Ryan.”

Ryan shook his head. “Perfect life, maybe. But there’s one thing that makes yours better.”

Justin understood completely. “You got it bad, huh?”

Ryan nodded. “She’s better than I ever dreamed she would be.”

“I feel that way about Emma, too. I wish we didn’t have to switch back.”

“We don’t.” Ryan said. Justin looked at him as he continued. “At least, not today.”

Justin shook his head. “I can’t stay Prince any longer. Olivia needs me.”

“She’s fine with me, J.”

“But what if she finds out that you’re not me? She’d freak out.”

“No,” Ryan disagreed.

“What do you mean, no? How do you know?”

“Because she already found out.” Ryan watched as Justin’s mouth fell open. “Trust me, she’s fine. In fact, she‘s happy that you‘re getting your chance with Emma.”

“So she didn’t freak out?”

“Nope. She even let me take her shopping last night. I bought her a whole new wardrobe.”

Justin smiled, happy for Livie. “You bribed my baby sister with new clothes?”

“It wasn’t bribing! It was so that she wouldn’t get teased at school. See? I have a heart,” Ryan said, in his defense.

Justin laughed. “Well, then I guess I wouldn’t mind staying Prince. I convinced your parents to let me throw this masked ball in the palace.”

“You’re kidding. They’re actually letting you, I mean me, do that?” Ryan asked, clearly surprised.

“Yep. It’s for charity on Halloween, teenagers only. I think it’s alright if you bring Olivia though. She’ll blend in.”

“Then we can switch back that night, giving us another week with our chicks. Deal?” Ryan said, sticking his fist out.

Justin matched it with his own fist. “Deal.”





© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki