The Prince & The Pauper by Laurencoz


Number of reviews: 333
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


*Chapter Twenty2*





Justin arrived at the Edwards’ palace to find Emma and suddenly felt out of place. He no longer had the masquerade of Prince Ryan to make him feel worthy. He was let in the gate by her servants. Another servant greeted him. “Emma’s not in her room. I believe she went outside a little while ago.”

Justin thanked them, and suddenly knew where to find her. The sky was beginning to turn dark as he ran toward the stables, still in his tux. When he got there, he called out, “Emma? Are you in here?”

“Ryan, go away!” he heard her voice call out. He followed the voice to Glory‘s stall. She was brushing the mare when she looked up to meet his eyes. She had changed out of her dress, but her hair was still up. There was pain in her eyes. “Please leave.”

He shook his head. “Emma, there’s something you need to know.”

She turned away. “You know what? Don’t even try to explain. I saw it with my own eyes, and I know that you haven‘t changed one bit, Ryan.”

“That’s just it.” Justin inhaled and took a step forward. “Emma, I’m not Ryan.”

She rolled her eyes. “Nice excuse, Ry. What was it then? An out of body experience?”

He stepped even closer to her, and tilted her chin up to look him in the eye. “No, you don’t understand. The guy you saw kissing the other girl tonight was Ryan Phillipe. That wasn’t me.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Emaria, my name is Justin Timberlake. I’m not a prince, I don’t live at the palace, and I just happen to look a lot like Ryan Phillipe.”

She narrowed her eyes. “What?”

He led her to a place to sit down and held her hand in his. Then he began to tell her the story of how he and the prince had met and how they had decided to switch places.

She seemed to take it relatively well, and listened to every word. “So when did you first meet me?”

“I met you at the club that night. I was so stupid, and didn’t even realize that you thought I was Ryan. I was crushed when I found out that you probably weren’t even interested in me at all. Then, Ryan came to me with the idea to switch and the more time I spent with you, the more I fell in love with you. I didn‘t know what to do,” he explained.

“So you just kept it going?” she asked.

He nodded. “I wanted to tell you. I knew I should have said something before everything got so serious between us, but for Ryan‘s sake, I couldn‘t.”

“Well I’m glad I wasn’t being cheated on. But what were you planning to do once you switched back tomorrow? Just hope I suddenly didn’t care about you anymore?” she said, looking at the ground.

He noticed when she let go of his hand. “Actually, I was hoping for the opposite. I was hoping that once you knew the truth…”

“Let me guess. You were hoping I’d forgive you and want to be with you and not Ryan?”

He nodded. “Is it possible?”

She closed her eyes slowly. “Justin…you are a great guy….And it seemed so perfect between you and I, but…”

“But what?” he said, anxiously.

“But there’s limits.”

“What kind of limits?” he asked, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

“I’m a princess, Justin. I need a prince, not just a guy who looks like one. We can‘t be together.”

“What about your feelings for me?” he asked, accusingly.

“I forgive you, Justin, and I love you. My feelings are still here. But they don’t matter anymore. You’re not who I thought you were,” Emma said.

It was Justin’s turn to be angry. “You’re really just going to throw all of this away, just because I have no money and no royal family to back me up? That’s so shallow, Emma!”

“Excuse me?” She said, haughtily.

“It’s ridiculous and you know it. I may not be a prince, but I treated you like a prince would. You wanted a responsible leader, and I have been that person my whole life. You even told me that you wanted someone who cares about people and someone who cares about the poor. I care because I‘ve been there.”

She was silent.

“I am all the things you were looking for Emma. You can go ahead and find someone with money and royal blood, but I promise you that you’ll be disappointed.”

“And why is that, Justin?” she said, angrily.

“Because this is true love, Emma. The real thing. Nothing else is ever going to compare. And if you’re going to throw it away over something ludicrous, then you not the person I thought you were either.”

She looked away so he couldn’t see the tears streaming down her cheek. “Then I guess we were both deceived.”

Neither of them said anything more. Eventually Justin got up and walked away, before she could see the tears welling up in his eyes.

***


Ryan left the den after telling his parents the truth. He had expected their anger and picked up his bags. He told William he’d be staying at the boathouse until everything quieted down. He wondered if his parents even trusted him enough to take over the kingdom now.

I never could've seen this far
I never could've seen this coming
It seems like my world's falling apart, yeah


He arrived at the boathouse and dropped his things inside the door. The place was a little stuffy so he opened the sliding glass doors. He needed room to breathe and think, so he went outside and took a seat on the swing. The cool night air felt good to him, but he still felt like he had a rock in his stomach. Sam’s words had stung him and they flashed in his mind again. ‘I’m not the liar here, Ryan…I can’t love a stranger.’

Why is everything so hard?
I don't think I can deal with the things you said
It just won't go away


He pulled the hood from his sweatshirt over his head and thought about why he had done this in the first place. Maybe he had been selfish, but he wanted a chance to love someone like a normal person. In a way, he had gotten what he wanted and it was amazing, but he had nothing left to show for it.

In a perfect world
This could never happen
In a perfect world
You'd still be here


He wondered if she would ever give him a chance again. He had lied, and she didn’t know everything about him like she did Justin. ‘But didn’t she care about me?’ he thought to himself. He pictured her answer and felt an ache inside.

And it makes no sense
I could just pick up the pieces
But to you
This means nothing
Nothing at all


***


When Justin got home, Olivia was already in her pajamas and curled up in a little ball. He sat down on the edge of her bed “Hey champ, did you have fun tonight?”

She nodded. “Is it over?”

“Yeah, Livie, it’s all over.”

“What’s going to happen now?” she asked, sitting up.

“We just go on living our lives, I guess. Emma and I weren’t meant to be, and if Sam and Ryan are meant to be, they’ll be together. Don‘t you worry, okay sweetie?” he asked her.

She nodded and noticed his red, puffy eyes. “I’m sorry it didn’t work out with Princess Emma. Maybe someday she’ll change her mind.”

I used to think that I was strong
Until the day it all went wrong
I think I need a miracle to make it through, yeah


He smiled sadly at her. Then he tried to change the subject, “Is dad still at the bar?”

Olivia shook her head and said softly, “He’s gone, Justin.”

I wish that I could bring you back
I wish that I could turn back time
Cause I can't let go
I just can't find my way, yeah
Without you I just can't find my way


“What?” he said, incredulously.

She nodded and sniffled. “He took his things and left last week. I don’t think he’s coming back.”

“Awe, Livie.” He pulled her close to him and cradled her head as she sobbed.

In a perfect world
This could never happen
In a perfect world
You'd still be here


Eventually her cries softened and she fell into a deep sleep. He leaned against the wall and ran his fingers through her soft curls. He wondered how his world could come crashing down so quickly.

And it makes no sense
I could just pick up the pieces
But to you
This means nothing
Nothing at all


~Perfect World by Simple Plan




© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki