Always By Your Side by autumn_romance


Number of reviews: 41
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


“Sweetheart, I can’t believe we finally have a little girl.” Joyce whispered to her husband, Jim, as she was cradling their newborn daughter in her arms.

It was the sunny morning of January 22, 1982, Jim and Joyce Sullivan were quietly spending time with their newborn daughter.

Joyce looked down at the sleeping beauty cradled safely in a warm pink blanket. Her eyes drifted from the tiny brown hairs at the top of the baby’s head, down to her long fluttering eyelashes as she took small, deep breathes, and then to her rosy red chubby cheeks. The baby’s entire face was accented by the rays of sunlight peaking through the beige colored curtains covering the windows. She looked so peaceful sleeping in her mother’s arms, and to Joyce, this single moment alone was so beautiful.

Jim was standing next to his wife’s hospital bed, admiring the miracle before him. “It’s a miracle isn’t it? I’m so glad everything went well. But we still need a name, remember?” He paused, “Did you have anything in mind?”

“Well, I was thinking of a few,” Joyce said looking up at him. She told him some of her ideas, as she played with the tiny baby. "What about you, dear?"

He pulled out a white chair from behind him and sat down while Joyce nodded in response to his list of names. “But, didn’t your mom have suggestions?”

“Yeah, she does. Maybe she could help us out, so why don’t you go get her? She’s in the lobby with everyone. Knowing mom, she’s most likely calling every single family member and telling them about the good news.” She said smiling.

Jim nodded and stood up to lean over and kiss her forehead, “Alright. I’ll go get her. I’ll be back in a few moments.”

When he returned, he came back with not only his mother-in-law, Simone, but with Darrin, his and Joyce’s 6 year old son.

“Hi Mom, I’m so glad you’re here. Hey, sweetheart, Daddy and I missed you so much. I’m sorry I wasn’t there to tuck you in last night.” Joyce apologized.

“What’s that?” Darrin asked, curious as to what was the bundle of the cotton candy-colored blanket in his mother’s arms was.

“Darrin, this is your new baby sister. Remember when mommy had a big tummy? There was a baby in there, and now she’s out.” Joyce explained.

“Does that mean I’m a big brother now?” He asked innocently.

“Yes, you are. You get to be a big brother to her and you get to help Daddy and I take care of her. And as you both get older, you get to play with her and watch her grow up and you both will become grown-ups like daddy and me. C’mon, come here and look at her.” She whispered to him.

“Mommy! Is the baby sleeping?” Darrin asked, creeping up beside his mom and sister. “Wow, she’s small!”

“Honey, she’s sleeping right now, please hush down a bit.” Simone said, “So the baby still needs a name?”

“Yes, Mom. We have a lot of names in mind but I remember you had some as well so I just wanted to see if the three of us can come up with something.”

“I’ll be glad to help.” Simone said smiling, while sitting in a chair as Darrin sat on her lap. “Let’s see…Valerie Cassandra, Kimberly Mae, Erica Lyn, Cassidy Lo-” Joyce tried to finish the second part of the name, but was cut off by both parents.

“Cassidy!” They said in unison, “I love it!”

Jim smiled. "Now, a middle name."

“How does Cassidy-Rae sound?” Simone asked. “I think it sounds quite lovely.”

“I got it!" Joyce said in excitement. "We’ll name her… Cassidy-Rae Love Sullivan!”

“Aw, mom, dad! Why can’t we name her something cool like monster truck?” Darrin said bouncing in his Grandma’s lap.

“Now son, I’m sure monster truck is a very lovely name but we don’t think it fits your sister all that well. So…Cassidy-Rae Love, it is.” Jim looked at his daughter with love in his eyes. “And I cannot wait until we get to take you home!” Just then the couple’s long-time friend, Lynn Timberlake walked into the room.

“Hey ya’ll!” she said with her thick southern accent, walking in the door. “I just wanted to come in and see how Joyce and the baby were doing. I have to go soon, Randy has work tonight and I have to go home and take care of Justin. But I hope I wasn’t disturbing you by just coming in here like that.”

“No, not at all! We just came up with a name for the baby; it’s Cassidy-Rae Love Sullivan!” Joyce was anxious to tell her best friend.

“Well! Isn’t that the most precious name I’ve ever heard. She’s going to grow up into a fine young lady, I can feel it. And look at how gorgeous she is already.” Lynn said, walking over to Cassidy and began to stroke her cheek. “Sometimes I wonder how different my life would be if Laura Katherine had made it…” Lynn began to tear, “I’m sorry for bringing that up. It’s just hard not to think about it sometimes. I’m extremely pleased I still have my little baby boy with me.”

Laura Katherine was Lynn’s daughter, who passed away just minutes after being born. However, Laura’s twin brother, Justin, survived.

“Aww, Lynne it’s alright. She’s in God’s hands, and one day you’ll see her again. How is little Justin doing anyways?” Joyce asked trying to change the topic to something else, an effort to make Lynn feel better.

“He’s doing great. He’s growing up pretty quickly. Actually, he has the cutest little patch of curly blonde hair sittin’ at the top of his head.” Lynn said laughing. “He’s also learning how to walk now. He’s almost one- Oh, gracious! That reminds me, Justin’s birthday is on Saturday, the 31st and Randy and I are throwing a little get together. You think ya’ll can make it? If you’d rather just stay home and take care of Cassidy, we both understand completely.” Lynn said smiling. “Oh, and Simone, that includes you too of course. I’m sure my mother is anxious to see you since you both haven’t had the chance to talk in a while.”

“I would love to make it dear,” Simone paused, “but I’m afraid I can’t. I promised a friend of mine I would help her out with her daughter’s wedding coming up in April. I’m terribly sorry, but do tell Sadie I said hi.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. I’m sure she’ll understand though, no worries. So how about the rest of ya’ll? Randy, Joyce?” Lynn said.

“Honey, do you feel up for it?” Jim asked. “Because if you’re too tired I can watch the kids while you go have a good time with Lynn.”

“I would really love to go but-” Joyce tried to say.

“But nothing! Sweetheart, you’re going, you deserve some fun time. Nine months of caring a baby around in your tummy…I think it’s time to just kick back. I know you’re worried about bringing the baby to an event so soon, but you have to go. You, Jim and the kids all go to Randy and Lynn’s. Don’t worry about a thing.”

“Alright, let’s go! But, is it alright if we do bring the kids, Lynn?” Joyce asked.

“Honey, of course it’s alright. Darrin is just adorable, and I can’t wait to show off my new God daughter!” Lynn said laughing. “Plus, I think Justin and Cassidy will get along just fine.”

“So it’s settled. We’ll see you next week.” Jim said happily.

“Wonderful!” Lynn said. Just then, Randy walked in.

“Hey ya’ll! Sweetheart, Mom just called saying that Justin is having a fit. And I’m already two hours late for work; it’s time to get going.” Randy said, walking over to say goodbye to everyone. “My, my, my! Looks like you got a lil’ beauty on your hands. What’s this little angel’s name?”

“Thanks Randy, her name is Cassidy-Rae Love. Well I don’t want you to get into any trouble at work so ya’ll better get going! We’ll see you on the 31st!” said Joyce.

“Alright, we’ll be on our way. But I’m glad you’ll all be there at the party. I’m sure Justin and Cassidy will get along just fine.” Randy said.

“That’s funny…I said the exact same thing.” Lynn said, smiling at Cassidy, who seemed to be smiling back at her.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki