Always By Your Side by autumn_romance


Number of reviews: 41
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


“There!” Justin said proudly, slamming his blue crayon on his small desk.

“Are you done yet? That’s the twelfth time you wrote that letter,” Trace said, chewing on a mouthful of pancakes.

“It’s not my fault I don’t know how to spell ‘question’!” Justin said, folding the letter.

“K-W-E-S-C-H-U-N! Duhh! That’s the millionth time I told you!” Trace exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air.

“I know, I know! And hey! Why are you eating pancakes… in the evening?”

“Your mom made ‘em, so I’m gonna eat ‘em,” he said, stuffing more in his mouth, “want some?”

Justin wrinkled his nose, “Uh, no thanks. Just don’t get any crumbs on the bed alright?”

“Yeah, yeah. So, what do we do about Cassidy?”

“I don’t know. She probably just finished dinner right now. I guess if she doesn’t want to talk to me… she can read the letter. You think we should go over there now?”

“Yeah, before you chicken out again.”

“I didn’t chicken out last time! My-” Trace was already dragging him down the stairs.

“Lynn, I don’t know anymore. I just… I can’t do this.” Randy said, pacing around the kitchen.

“So that’s it? What are we supposed to do, Randy! How can I do this by myself?” Lynn had tears in her eyes, her elbows propped against the dinner table.

“So this is my fault? You know, if I knew things were going to be like this I would have never-”

“Mom, dad?” Justin asked from the doorway to the kitchen.

“Justin… w-what is it that you want son?” Randy asked.

“Can… can Trace and I go over to Cassidy’s house?”

“Sure, baby. Be home soon though… before it gets dark,” Lynn said quietly, wiping the tears from her eyes.

Justin wasn’t sure what was going on but all he knew was that he didn’t want to stick around any longer. He and Trace left, practically running to the Sullivan home. Trace questioned Justin on what his parents were talking about, but he was ignored. When they finally reached the house, Justin knocked frantically on the door.

“Whoa, calm down there,” Jim said, “Hi, boys. How may I help you?”

“Hi papa Jim, is Cassidy home?”

“Yes she is. We just finished dinner. You boys wanna come inside?” Jim asked. Justin shook his head. “Alright then, would you like for me to call her?”

“Yes, please.”

“Cassidy! Your friends are here!” Jim called, “Alright, she’s on her way. Tell your folks I said hello.” Jim waved goodbye, and walked back inside, “Honey, what’s the score?”

Cassidy came from behind the door, surprised to see who was out on her porch. She shut the door behind her and looked down, afraid to look Justin in the eye.

Trace took it upon himself to speak up, “Hey Cassidy. How was dance class? Ya want some?” Pancake crumbs flew in her face as he spoke.

“Hi, Trace. Uh, no thanks. It was pretty good. I had fun. Um, would you like a glass of milk or something?”

“Oh, would ya?”

“Sure, I’ll go get you some.” She said, going back inside.

“Thanks a lot Trace!” Justin said, slapping him on the arm.

“Ouch! What? You weren’t talking to her!”

“I was going to! You just needed to wait. I swear, I was going to say something and then YOUR big mouth started to say something.”

“Well sorry for trying to help there, Justin!”

“You’re not helping Trace. What if I don’t get a chance to talk to her and then she never forgives me? And will you get rid of the pancakes!”

“Sheesh, alright, alright.”

“There you go,” Cassidy said, coming back and handing Trace a cold glass of milk.

“Thanks. Um… I’m just gonna stand over there while you two talk,” Trace said, walking down the steps to the sidewalk.

“Hi Cass,” Justin said quietly.

“Hi Justin,” she said back.

“Uhh… my mom told me that you were crying last night. I didn’t know why and then I remembered… I said some things-”

“… that really made me sad.”

“Yeah, I know. And I just wanted to say that I’m-”

“…sorry. You know what; I don’t even know why you’re still here. Just go home Justin.” She said, stepping back inside the house.

Justin couldn’t believe it. She wouldn’t even listen to him. He knew he didn’t deserve it but he thought that she’d cut him some slack.

“Hold on! I’ll… I’ll leave you alone but here,” he said, digging into his pocket, “I wrote this for you. Read it, okay?”

She took the small paper from him. He said goodbye and turned away. Cassidy unfolded it and read:

Dear Cassidy, I am sorry for saying those mean things I said. I didn’t mean them. I hope we are still friends because I think you are a great person. You still make me feel good and make me laugh. You’re still my best friend and I hope I’m still yours. I only have one kweschun to ask… will you please forgive me? Love, Justin

Cassidy thought for a moment, wondering if Justin really was sorry for what he said. She wondered why he said those things in the first place. There was only one way to find out.

“Justin!” she called, racing down the porch steps.

Justin immediately turned around, relieved she was calling for him, “Yeah?”

“C’mere,” she motioned. It didn’t take Justin long to come back running with Trace. “Can we talk?” Justin nodded and Cassidy opened the door to let them in.

“Hello again boys,” Joyce said going through some mail at the dinner table and talking to Simone.

“Mom, me and Justin will be in the tree house.”

“Uh huh, go ahead honey.”

“Hi Mrs.C,” Trace greeted, “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, what’s happening? Something bothering you?” she said, placing a hand on his arm.

“No, I was just wondering… do you make good pancakes?”

“Hey Trace! Wanna play a new video game with me?” Darrin asked from the living room.

“Yeah!” Trace said turning back to Simone, “Sorry Mrs.C. Gotta go!”

“Hey, you still have the picture I drew for you in here,” Justin noticed.

“Yeah, I always told you I’d keep it,” she said quietly.

Justin felt that he should apologize before she’d change her mind about hearing him out. “Cass, I know this probably might not make you not mad at me no more, but I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean what I said,” Justin said, looking at her.

“Then why did you say it, Justin? Why did you call me all those things? I thought I was your best friend,” she questioned, “I didn’t know you were so mean.”

“I’m not mean, Cass! I only said those things because Trace kept making fun of me. He said that I had a crush on you and it just got me mad so I made up stuff so he’d quit!” Justin hoped that his explanation would be enough to get her to forgive him.

“I didn’t wanna think that you really meant what you said,” she looked him in the eye, “I always get teased about you but I’d never say those kinda things about you.”

“I know you wouldn’t. I’m sorry, Cass. I promise I’ll never do it again. Do you… do you forgive me?” he titled his head and scrunched up his face. Cassidy thought it was the cutest thing.

She stood there, leaning against the wall wondering if she really was going to forgive him that quick. Justin meant a lot to her, what would happen if she never spoke to him again? She didn’t even want to think about it.

“Yeah,” she smiled, “I forgive you Justin. Just don’t do it again or I’ll kick your butt.”

“Yes!” he yelled, his fist cutting through the air, “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
He pulled Cassidy into a tight hug.

After the embrace, Cassidy ordered for Justin to sit with her on the blanket and look at the stars through the window… their tradition.

“So how was dance class?” Justin was eager to hear how her day went without him. “Were you good?” He knew that she was probably the best one there.

“I had a lot of fun. I guess I did okay. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. And most of the girls were nice, I made some new friends, they’re cool. But there was this one girl Mandy Portneil, she was pretty mean. She was making fun of people and saying the worst things. Then she tried to show us the dance and she messed up.”

“Then what happened?”

“Well then, my older friend Andrea, told me to show the way it’s supposed to be done. So I did, and then I guess I didn’t notice but everyone was watching me. They were clapping and cheering,” she said with disbelief, “and boy it made Mandy upset. Then before I went home my teacher, Ms.Cohen, she talked to me about my talent and stuff.”

“That’s great, Cass. I’m happy for you. Don’t worry about that Mandy girl, she’s just trying to get attention.”

“I know Justin, but I just… I never really had anyone be so nasty to me,” she sighed, “It sort of scares me that people can be so mean to someone. But what did you do while I was gone?”

“Me and Trace went to the park to play some football while we waited for you to come home, we ate ice cream and then we came back to my house so I could write your letter.”

“Sounds like fun,” she paused, “Um Justin, can I ask you something?”

“Yeah?”

“I didn’t really wanna be rude but how come you smell like wet cat?”

Justin was confused at her question, but soon remembered what happened that day. “Well Trace had this crazy idea that if we put some bait on the end of a string and a bird saw it and ate it, it would lift us up and we’d fly.”

“Bait? Justin, birds aren’t like fish. What’d you guys use?”

“Suasage.”

“Sausage, Justin?” She turned to look at him, “What in the world makes you think birds like to eat sausage?”

“It was Trace’s idea, I swear! He said it’d work!” he held his hands up in defense.

“And you believed him? You guys are lucky you got me around,” she said half-jokingly.

“And what is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, never mind,” she smiled, “but wait, that doesn’t explain why you smell like a wet feline.”

“Oh, right. Well, I was standing at the tree, you know the one we always sit under,” she nodded, “and Trace called me over cuz he felt something tugging at the string. So he called me over and I saw what was eating the sausage… it was no bird, it was a cat!”

She giggled and shook her head as he continued, “So then Trace started yelping for me to help him cuz he was trying to get the sausage back from the cat. He started fighting the little thing and it was pouncing and clawing… and you know how weak Trace is, so I came over there to save him cuz by now the cat was dragging Trace around,” he could see the amusement on her face, “and so I sort of stood over the cat to hold it down and he tried clawing at me and I backed away real fast and well… I rolled down the hill and me and the cat both landed in the pond.”

“Are you kiddin’ me?” she couldn’t believe his story!

“Nope! It really happened. And well, I couldn’t take a shower cuz I had to write your letter. Do I really smell that bad?”

“No… yeah,” she laughed, “you wanna go inside and shower?” He nodded and followed Cassidy inside.

“Hey Trace, do you want to go shower? Justin told me about your long day,” she giggled as his face turned a bright shade of pink.

“O-oh yeah. That… that cat was a piece of cake, poor Justin here couldn’t handle him,” he saw Cassidy roll her eyes, “a shower sounds nice.”

Cassidy brought them to her room, “Stay here and don’t sit on my bed. It’s gonna get dirty.”

She walked out of her room and headed for the garage, where the washer and dryer were. She picked up a white plastic laundry basket and dragged it inside. Inside, her mother was on the phone in the family room.

“Oh, Lynn, I’m so sorry,” she said into the phone, “It’s terrible I know hun, but you’ll get through it.”

Cassidy panicked, what was wrong with Justin’s mom? She thought things were fine now. Besides, Justin would have told her if he thought something was up, right?

“Uh huh, do you wanna talk to him? Oh, well Cassidy is here, I’ll just tell her. One second Lynn,” she said putting the phone down, “Cassidy, baby, will you tell Justin and Trace that they’re gonna sleep over tonight? Lynn already talked to Trace’s parents and they said it was fine.”

“Okay, mama,” she wondered whether or not she’d ask Justin if his parents were getting along. But what if he asked why he’s staying over? She swung open the door, placing the basket in front of her.

“Here, put your dirty clothes in here and I’ll have my mom wash ‘em,” she said, “oh yeah Justin your mom is on the phone with my mom and she said that you two are gonna sleep over here tonight. She already talked to Trace’s parents they said it’s fine.”

“How come we’re staying over?” Justin was worried, “Did something happen to my parents?”
“No, no,” she saw the relief in his face, “but my mom didn’t say anything. Just that you two are sleeping over here.”

“Oh, okay,” Justin wondered what was going on, “so can I go shower now?”

“Sure. Trace you can shower in the bathroom across the hallway and Justin you can shower in my mom and dad’s room,” she said as the boys followed her to the nearest bathroom. She opened the cabinet where the towels were stored and handed one to Trace. “Here, there’s soap and shampoo and stuff already in there. Just come to my room when you’re finished.”

“Thanks.” He said walking in and closing the door behind him.

“Follow me,” she led Justin through the hallway, stopping at the last room. She opened the door, taking him to the master bathroom, which of course was bigger than the rest. She leaned over to start the water and handed him an unused towel from the towel rack, “Here you go. Everything’s in there so you shouldn’t be long. Come to my room when you’re done.”

He thanked her and she walked back to her room. Curious to hear what her mother was saying to Lynn, she decided to go to the kitchen and pretend to look for a snack. Quietly creeping down the steps, faintly, she could hear her mother’s voice.

“Are you sure ya’ll can’t fix it? You have been able to in the past.” Joyce listened to her friend’s response, “True. But please Lynn, I know you’re trying; whatever happens, don’t let anything ruin the friendship that’s still going to be there.”

Cassidy stepped down a little further to the bottom step, peeking from behind the wall. Her mother was lying on the couch with a few balled up tissues next to her, along with a carton of Oreos. ‘Well that’s silly.’ she thought. She quickly hid behind the wall again as he mother sat up to dust a few crumbs off her blouse.

Cassidy swallowed hard. If she were caught, her mother would think she was a nosy eavesdropper, which she wasn’t. She just couldn’t seem to stop wondering what was going on the Timberlakes. Hearing her mother settle back on the couch, she peeked around the corner again.

“I just… I’m so sorry this had to happen to you Lynn. You’re as close as family to me…” Joyce dabbed at the tears falling down her face. She popped another Oreo into her mouth as she listened to Lynn on the other line.

“Hun, you’re gonna have to tell him. He can’t just wake up one morning to find his father is gone. What would you tell him then?”

“Gone?” Cassidy whispered as she snuck into the kitchen. She looked around in the cupboards scanning for something to munch on. Finally deciding on graham crackers, she leaned against the fridge, straining to hear the conversation.

“You can’t hide it from him Lynn. Try not to fight so much in front of him, poor child doesn’t even know what’s going on, he doesn’t need to see his parents fighting every night, wondering what’s going to happen to the family.” Joyce listened to her friend, “No, no, no, don’t say things like that…”

“Man, I need some milk,” Cassidy said, swinging the refrigerator door open. Searching through the various foods, she found what she was looking for. “Ah, there we go…” she said, lifting it out with her tiny arms.

“Well it’s a possibility you never know-”

“Ouch!” Cassidy rubbed the top of her head, “stupid fridge.”

“Cassidy?” Joyce called out and was acknowledged, “Hold on a second, Lynn.” Joyce put the phone down and walked to the kitchen “Sweetheart, what are you doing?”

“Eating a snack,” she said innocently.

“Uh huh, c’mon go back upstairs now,” Joyce said walking her to the stairs. Before her daughter rushed up the stairs, Joyce leaned down and said in a low voice, “I’m not mad at you for coming down here to listen. But sweetie whatever you heard, you have to promise me, really promise me, that you won’t say a word to anybody. Especially Justin.”

“But what’s going on Mama? What’s happening to them?” Joyce placed a finger on her lips.

“We’ll talk about it later ‘kay? But promise me, Cassidy.”

“I promise,” she frowned, but she meant what she said.

“Alright, now run upstairs and play with your friends. Remember our promise,” Joyce said as Cassidy ran upstairs.

“This is going to be so hard when Justin finds out. But I made mom a promise, and I have to keep it,” she turned the corner to open her door, “I feel awful hiding it-” The door swung open and there were Justin and Trace, both wrapped up in a towel. “Whoa!” she quickly covered her eyes. “How come ya’ll don’t have any clothes on!”

“Well, see, that’s the one thing we forgot about,” Trace said.

“Oh, you’re right. I’m so sorry,” she tried to find a solution, “I’d lend you Darrin’s clothes but they’d be too big for you both.”

“What are we going to do then? We can’t just sleep in these towels,” Justin said.

“Well, maybe you’ll have to. I don’t know what you guys can wear. My mom’s still on the phone and if she did the laundry, it’d take too long. It’s already late anyways.” She tried to think.

“I’ll wear anything, I’m freezing here!” Justin said, and Trace nodded.

“Well, there is something you guys can wear,” she smiled.

“Okay, just hand it over. We don’t care!” Trace said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“You guys, come out now!” Cassidy called from the hallway. Trace was changing in the bathroom and Justin was changing in her room.

“Are you kidding me? I’m never going out there!” Trace yelled from the bathroom.

“I can’t believe we did this. This is the worst idea ever!” Justin whined.

“Aw c’mon you guys, it can’t be that bad.”

“Oh, it’s bad alright.” Trace mumbled from behind the door.

“Okay, how about you both come out at the same time?” She really wanted to see them. “I swear I won’t laugh.”

“Alright, but Trace you better not try to pull off any funny stuff,” Justin warned.

“I would never!” Trace said sarcastically.

“Okay, enough. C’mon when I count to three BOTH of you better step outside, got it?” the boys replied and she counted, “One… two… three.”

Each boy stepped out of the room, and was exposed. Little Justin and Trace were dressed in frilly, pink, girly nightgowns. Immediately, Cassidy burst out laughing.

“You said you wouldn’t laugh!” Justin said surprised.

“I know I know but,” she gasped for breath, “ya’ll just look so funny! Plus, you can think of this as payback for earlier.” Justin rolled his eyes.

“Whoa Justin, you look like a girl!” Trace laughed, taking a glimpse at his friend for the first time.

“Well, look at you! You have ribbons and little roses all over yours!” Justin shot back.

“Yeah, but… but you have the girliest nightgown ever!” Trace pointed to his body. It was true; Justin’s nightgown was made of pink silk, with tiny white ribbons along the neckline, trimmed with lace, and poofed at the sleeves. The nightgown Trace was wearing was made of pink cotton that flowed down to his knees, printed with roses and lace trimming across the chest.

“I don’t get why I was stuck wearing THIS one!” Justin crossed his arms over his chest.

“Because you’re taller than me and that one is longer, so I get this one,” Trace explained.

Justin just shook his head. “Okay, whatever. Let’s go to bed. This lace is starting to make me itch!” he said, hurrying to the bedroom, not wanting to discuss the matter anymore.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki