Always By Your Side by autumn_romance


Number of reviews: 41
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


“So that was the last time you saw him?” Cassidy asked, straightening out her pony tail after dance class.

“Yup, I haven’t seen him since he took me out to the factory.” It was Justin’s second time going to Cassidy’s dance class.

“Is he gonna be home for Thanksgiving?”

“I’m not sure. My mom hasn’t said anything.”

Thanksgiving was in five days. Justin hoped that if his family couldn’t be together regularly, they could at least set aside their problems on the holidays.

“So do you wanna come over to my house today?”

“Yeah I guess. Are we going to play with your Barbie dolls again?” he asked with dread in his voice.

“You bet,” she smiled.

“Barbies… such a child’s toy,” Mandy said approaching them, “Cassidy. Jerry.”

“Justin,” they said in unison.

“You know I didn’t think I’d be seeing you around here anymore. But I guess you came here to see me, right?” she placed her hands on her hips and flashed the fakest smile Justin had ever seen.

Justin shrugged his shoulders. He didn’t want to be rude.

“Well whatever… you will be.” Mandy pulled a small compact mirror from her jeans’ pocket and reapplied her lipstick. “So anyways, Christmas is in a few weeks. And I’m expecting a present.”

Cassidy looked at Justin and made a disgusted face. Who was she to demand such things from people she doesn’t even know?

“Okay. Cassidy can help you with your dancing.”

Mandy immediately stopped her actions. “What… did you say?”

“You said you wanted a present. I think Cassidy could help you with your dance moves and stuff. Right, Cass?” Cassidy couldn’t help but giggle.

“And what makes you think I need help dancing?” She quickly shut her compact and stared at Justin in disbelief.

“Because I was kinda looking at you out there and it looks like you-”

“Never mind what he said,” Cassidy stopped him.

Mandy crossed her arms and smirked, “You know what? I’ve got an idea. How about Cassidy joins my school’s holiday talent show? I mean sure it’s a junior high but if she really is so great, she could handle it. Right Cassidy?”

“I don’t really want to-”

“And who ever wins the talent show will be claimed as the winner in this stupid little feud for the top performer.”

“No really, its fine Mandy we don’t need to-”

“She’ll be there,” Justin butted in.

“Fine.”

“Fine.”

“I’ll sign you up. You can do anything you want, but in addition to that you have to do something holiday related. Show practice is from the 10th to the 13th. The actual show is December 14th at Brinesdale Middle School auditorium at 7:30 PM. See you there.” Mandy walked away, and spun around, “oh and it was nice seeing you again Jonathan!”

“It’s Justin!” he corrected.

“Why’d you do that?” She slapped him on the arm.

“What?” He looked at her innocently.

“What do I do now?” she sank into a chair, “there’s no way I can do this. I don’t know what to perform… what to wear… Justin, I don’t have anything ready.”

“So?”

“So I’m going to look stupid. Great, thanks.”

“C’mon, you can do this, I’ll help ya if you want,” he offered. “We’ll start today.” She looked up at him as if he were the stupidest person she’d ever seen in her life. The loud beep of Jim’s car erupted from outside. “What are you waiting for? You got a show to practice for.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Aren’t you two tired yet?” Joyce asked, leaning against the doorway to Cassidy’s room.

“Nope,” Cassidy replied, rewinding the cassette tape for the twentieth time.

It was Thanksgiving Day; Justin had been helping Cassidy practice day in and day out.

“Justin, you know your family is welcome to join us for dinner tonight if ya’ll want to. I tried calling Lynn but she hasn’t been picking up.”

“Oh… no thanks mama Joyce, my parents said tonight is very important and we need to spend it together,” he smiled. Lynn told him the night before that his father would be coming over, and they needed to discuss something important. Maybe Justin’s prayers had been answered; maybe his family was finally okay!

“Alright, I should go check up on Jim. He’s trying to make pumpkin pie. And you know what happened last year when he tried to purée the mix; we were scraping pumpkin off the walls for weeks!” She giggled and left the room.

“I should be going now too,” Justin got up and stretched, “my dad’s coming home soon.”

“Okay, see ya Justin. Happy Thanksgiving.” She smiled.

“Bye Cass, happy Thanksgiving.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Justin was watching TV when he heard his mother calling for him. He pushed the power button on the television and hurried down stairs, expecting to see his father there. Instead, Lynn was pulling a large turkey out of the oven.

“Turkey’s done, you all cleaned up?” she asked, setting the baking tray on the counter. As if reading Justin’s mind she said, “Your father will be here any minute now.”

Justin helped set the table and helped his mother put everything in place. At the sound of the doorbell, he raced to answer it.

“I’ll get it!” He ran to the front door, and saw it was his father when he peeped through the window. “Dad!” He swung the door open and jumped into his father’s arms.

“Hey son,” Randy hugged Justin tightly, “I’ve missed ya. How are you and your mom?” He stepped inside and hung his coat on the rack.

“Good. We were waiting for you all day!” Justin tugged on his father’s arm and led him through the house.

“Mmm, smells really good in here,” he said, reaching the kitchen.

“Hey you,” Lynn greeted Randy, hugging him.

“Hey,” he kissed her on the cheek.

Justin almost leaped for joy. Boy, this night was getting better and better.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Vrooooooom! Vroom!”

“Darrin, don’t play with your food,” Joyce said.

“But mom! My space warrior is about to be sent off in his space ship to Potato Planet!” He whined, showing her a piece of broccoli and the mashed potatoes on his plate.

“And you’re about to be sent to your room if you don’t eat your food properly.”

Darrin sank in his chair and crossed his arms.

“So, what is every body thankful for?” Jim asked.

“Well,” Joyce reached for his hand, “I’m thankful for family, for my health, and for life. And I’m also very grateful for the baby that’s on its way. How about you mom?”

“It’s a true blessing to be able to have such a wonderful family, and I am thankful to still have my good health, and just, you know, seeing ya’ll happy is enough for me,” Joyce smiled. “How about you baby,” she turned to Cassidy, “What are you thankful for?”

“What do you mean Gramma?” Cassidy asked. She didn’t quite understand the question.

“Well, what are some things that are important to you? Things that you wouldn’t want to lose.”

“You mean like things that make me happy?”

“Sure, whatever you’d like.”

Cassidy thought about it for a moment. “Ummm… my family, my friends, and music. And the diary Gramma gave me.”

“That’s nice honey,” Jim said.

“Oh, and all the colors of the world.”

“Colors?” Darrin asked, as she nodded. “Why?”

“Because they make things pretty. Colors make me happy… and they are all different. Like people.”

“Who taught you that?”

“Nobody. I just thought of it one day.”

“So what’s your favorite color Cassidy?” Joyce asked. Her daughter seemed to be so much smarter than other children her age.

She didn’t have to think twice. “Justin.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“See, it’s gone!” Randy said, opening his palms. He was performing a magic trick for Justin.

“How’d you do that, dad?”

“Magic,” Randy winked.

“You know what’s really magic,” Lynn said joining the two on the sofa, “is how you two managed to eat everything on the table but the tupper wear.”

Randy chuckled and wrapped his arm around Justin, “We’re Timberlake men. That’s what we do. Eat, and burp. Right, kiddo?” Justin nodded rapidly with a smile on his face.

“Dad, can you stay home tonight?” Justin looked up at his father with hopeful eyes.

Randy shifted in his seat and sadly looked at Lynn, “Sorry, Jus… I can’t.”

“But why dad? You said you weren’t working tomorrow.”

“I know son, I know. But,” he paused, bringing his palms together, “it wouldn’t be a good idea.”

Justin decided not to question his father, not this time. By the looks on both of his parents’ faces, he could tell something was going to ruin the night.

“Justin, sweetheart,” Lynn said, scooting closer to him, “we have something to tell you.”

“Now, son, I want you to know that this family is still going to love each other like we always have. And that nothing was ever, ever your fault,” Randy said, taking a spot on the opposite side of Justin.

“Baby… there … there comes a time in some people’s lives, couples like your daddy and me, where things… things just aren’t the same.”

Justin was lost. What does she mean?

“What we’re trying to say is… sometimes people sort of,” Randy paused, trying to find the right words, “lose what they once had. Like… you like being happy, right son?”

Justin didn’t speak, he only nodded.

“And sometimes when you want to be happy… you have to hurt a little.”

“You’re still so young,” Lynn said, “which is why your father and I have tried our hardest to make things better. But sometimes, even trying can’t save things that are supposed to happen. That’s just not the way things work out.”

“Your mother and I want you to have a stable home, and you know you always have two very loving parents who will always be there for you Justin. But… we just can’t seem to find what we had before with each other.”

“I know everything is so confusing baby. And trust me I would do what I can to make you understand. I wish things could be easier, but this just has to be done,” Lynn said, tears falling from her eyes.

“We want what’s best for you… what’s best for this family. I hope you can at least understand what much,” Randy ran a hand through his son’s curls. “As a man, I feel… I feel like I’ve failed this family-”

“No, Randy. No… we both know you’ve tried. Lord knows you’ve tried.”

He held his head in his hands, and breathed deeply. “I feel like I wasn’t strong enough to help this family. God, I couldn’t keep my own family together.”

Justin looked back and forth between his parents.

“Ran…” Lynn reached for his hand, noticing he still hadn’t taken off his wedding band.

He took in a sharp breath and raised his head. “I’m sorry Jus. I’m sorry you have to be a part of this mess… but you know you and your mother are the best thing that ever happened in my life.”

“I guess what we’re trying to say, Justin,” Lynn took her son’s hands in her own, “we…”


“Dad?” Justin’s concerned eyes pierced into his father’s sad ones. Randy hung his head in shame. “Mom?” Lynn’s hands trembled; the look in Justin’s eyes was breaking her heart.

She took a deep breath before she said the words that would forever change their lives, “We’re getting a divorce.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cassidy grunted in frustration as she scribbled on her paper. Dinner was over and since Justin wasn’t able to spend time with her that night, she was bored out of her mind.

“I should practice… the talent show is in two weeks.” She got up off her bed, and rewound the cassette tape. She chose to sing and dance to Madonna’s “Open Your Heart” and for the holiday portion she was going to perform “Silent Night”.

She grabbed a hairbrush, and sang into it. “I see you on the street and you walk on by. You make me wanna hang my head down and cry.” She used the small space in her room, imagining it to be the stage. “If you gave me half the change you’d see my desiring burning inside of me.”

She looked in the mirror hanging above her dresser, making sure her moves looked right. “But you choose to look the other way. Well, I've got something to say. Open your heart to me, baby. I hold the lock and you hold the key. Open-”

“Your window!”

She immediately dropped the comb in astonishment. Turning her attention to the window, she could see Justin rapping at her window. She turned off her radio and hurried to let him in.

“It’s about time,” he said, dusting his clothing off.

“Um… you know, it’s only 8:30. You could have used the door.” That’s when he looked up at her, with tears in his eyes. “Is something wrong?” He slowly nodded in response.

“Let’s go to the tree house,” she opened her door, but was pulled back.

“No, we can’t go out that way.” She shot him a questioning look. “My folks don’t know I’m here.” He nodded his head toward the window, “C’mon, this way.”

“Are you crazy?” she whispered, trying to make him second think about going down that way, but he was already climbing out. “Justin, I’ve never done this before.”

“C’mon,” he reached his hand out for her, “I’ll be right here.”

She looked down and gulped. She was terrified of heights, and she surely did not want to have any part but her feet safely touch that ground.

“C’mon, Cass. You trust me right?” She nodded. “Then trust me… I won’t let you fall.”

“Can’t… can’t I just go through my house and you go down there?”

“No! What would the grown ups say if they saw you go outside?”

He was right. She grumbled. “Fine, just let me lock the door.”

Justin waited impatiently for her to return. What if he accidentally dropped her? No, no. He wouldn’t let that happen.

“Okay, so what do I do now?” She said, looking down.

“Jump.”

“Jump!”

“Shh! They might hear you!” he peeked down into the window below, where Joyce and Simone were washing dishes in the kitchen.

“How in the world can I jump?” There was at least three feet between her window and the tree. She doubted she’d make it.

“Just do it,” he rolled his eyes, “I’ll catch you.” For reassurance, he opened his arms, and scooted as close as he could to her.

“Are you sure about this?” she asked, climbing out of the window.

“Yeah. Look, just don’t think about it. Pretend… pretend that nothing was able to fall in the world. Pretend that you can just float there, but you have to jump to me.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll… I’ll do it.”

“On the count of three okay?” she sucked in a breath and nodded. “One…” She propped herself on the edge. “Two…” she shut her eyes tightly. “Three!”

“Aaah!” Cassidy pushed herself of the ledge and felt herself fly through the air. Her heart was beating wildly, as she kept her eyes closed. Then, she let out a cry of relief when she landed safely in Justin’s arms.

“See? Everything’s a-okay,” he smiled at her. “How was it?”

“Fun!” She laughed, letting go of him.

He shook his head, and smiled. Even in times like this, she was always able to cheer him up without even knowing it.

The two cautiously climbed down the tree, and glided along the walls of the house, ducking and crouching.

“Go, go!” Justin urged Cassidy, following her up the tree house ladder.

Cassidy lied down on the floor, taking in deep breaths. “Wow that was crazy.”

Justin leaned against the wall behind him, almost forgetting why he was there. “Cass, I gotta tell you something.”

“Oh yeah,” she sat up, “sorry Justin. Go ahead.”

“Well, do you remember when we talked about that divorcing stuff?”

“Yeah, sorta. Why?”

“Well…. I learned what it is.” She crawled towards him. “It’s when people who love each other… don’t want to be together no more.”

“What do you mean?”

“They sort of lose the love they had, and then they don’t wanna be together no more, so someone leaves.”

“How do you know?”

“My dad came over tonight.”

“How was it?” she asked curiously. He had been so excited to see his father.

“Horrible.”

“What? Why? Did your parents fight again?”

Justin’s jaw trembled. “Cass,” his voice croaked, “they’re getting a divorce.”

She felt her own stomach twist in knots. ‘Mama Lynn and Papa Randy… divorcing?’ she thought.

“Oh, Justin…” she wrapped her arms around him tightly when he began to cry. “It’s not your fault.”

“I should have known. I should have known they don’t love each other anymore,” he cried into her new dress. But she didn’t care.

“They still love each other Justin,” she let go briefly to look him in the eye, “I know they still do.”

“Then why are the getting a divorce?” He could feel his cheeks burning up. “Why couldn’t my parents be like yours? Like other mommies and daddies?”

“Because,” she said, “they don’t want to fight anymore. I don’t know what happened, but they still love you no matter what.”

“I hate Thanksgiving!” He slapped his palms on the floor. “I hate it!”

She frowned and looked away. She had never seen Justin so… upset, so angry. But he had every right to be, and she was going to be there even if it meant she had to stay up all night with him.

“I’m sorry Justin,” she said quietly, not knowing how to make things better.

“It’s not your fault, Cass.” The bright moonlight shone through the entrance of the tree house, displaying his tearful eyes clearly.

“I know but I feel like there’s no way I can help you,” she confessed. “And I really want to.”

He sniffled and rubbed his tired eyes. “Just don’t leave me…”

“I won’t leave you Justin,” she sat by his side, leaning on his shoulder, “Everything will be okay. I’ll always be there for you.”

He rested his cheek on her head and closed his eyes. “Hey, Cass?”

“Yeah, Justin?”

“Don’t ever divorce me. Okay?”

She snuggled closer to him. “I won’t.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki