Always By Your Side by autumn_romance


Number of reviews: 41
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


It was Halloween evening and Cassidy and Darrin were helping Jim carve pumpkins. Cassidy was very excited; Halloween was one of her favorite holidays. Aside from that, she was going trick-or-treating later on that night with Justin, Trace, Shelley, and Rachel.

After finishing her pumpkin, Cassidy went into the kitchen to clean her hands. Thoughts of that night filled her head as she turned on the water. Cassidy watched the bright orange pulp wash off from her hands into the sink. Tip-toeing, she squirted soap onto her hands, and lathered it. Letting the warm water rinse everything off her skin, she grabbed a small towel and dried her small hands.

"Okay, how about you two help me carry these outside?" Jim asked, picking up his own pumpkin, guiding the way outside.

Cassidy grabbed her bright, plump pumkin and followed Jim and her brother outside onto the porch. She set the pumpkin down at the bottom of the steps that led to the front door, the other two were placed on the top of the ledges on either side at the top of the stairs. Jim placed a candle inside of each pumpkin, and lit it, causing the inside to glow.

"Cass, how come your pumkin looks weird?" Darrin asked, noticing the face on her pumpkin looked goofy.

"It does not!" she snapped back.

"Does too! Look at the shape of the eyes, and the mouth, it's lopsided!" he pointed out. "And whats all that stuff at the top? It looks like spaghetti."

It was true. The eyes looked like tiny rocks, the mouth was crooked, there were two big circular-shaped cuts on each side, and in the middle, something was carved that looked like half of a bone. To top it all off, there was a mess of zig zags and squiggles at the top of the pumpkin.

"Be quiet! It's supposed to look like Justin. It does look like him, right?"

"Well, actually-" Darrin said, preparing to make fun of it.

"Yes, Cassidy. It looks like him. I'm sure Justin will be flattered that you made your pumpkin look like him." Jim said, shooting Darrin a look. "Well, how about we get you two ready?" He said, putting an arm around each of his children, bringing them inside.

Inside the kitchen, Simone and Joyce were filling bowls up with candy.

"Oh hey, you two ready to change into your costumes? Lynn is expecting you to come over in a little bit." Joyce said dumping Twix bars into a large bowl.

"Mom, can you help me change?" Cassidy asked.

"Sure, honey," she said, getting up, "Darrin, you better go change into your costume too. Your friends will be over soon so your father can take you out tonight."

"Okay, I'm going," he said, grabbing three chocolate bars out of the bowl.

"Ah ah ah, put that-" Joyce begun, but Darrin was already off to go to his room. "Boys," she sighed, "let's hope this one isn't as feisty as your brother." She said, rubbing her belly.

Cassidy took her mother's hand and led her into her room. She flipped on the light switch, and quickly opened her closet door, grabbing a long white dress off the hanger and lying it on the bed. The dress, made by Simone, was long and white, made with silky material that flowed down like a waterfall of milk. For the next half hour, Joyce helped her get dressed and fix her hair.

"How do you like it?" Joyce asked, as Cassidy looked into the mirror.

"I like it, thanks Mom," Cassidy said, smiling.

"Now, just for the final touch," Joyce said, grabbing a shiny object off the bed, pinning and placing it onto the back of Cassidy's hair, "there we go. Wow, that halo really puts it all together."

"Mom!" Darrin burst into the room, "My mask won't stay on!" Darrin was dressed as Batman, wearing black boots, a big belt with the bat symbol, and a long flowing black cape.

"Okay, sweetheart, let me fix it," Joyce said, walking over to adjust it, "there you go. It should stay on. Well c'mon, Billy and Theyton should be arriving soon, and Grandma wants to take your picture."

The trio went into the living room, where Simone was holding a camera.

"Okay, now pose near the chimney," she said, lifting the camera to her eyes, "that's it. Darrin why don’t you flex you muscles, sweetie? And Cassidy, smile baby."

"Okay, one...two...three!" Click. "Lovely!"

"Darrin!" Jim called, "You're friends are here. Let's get going now."

Darrin grabbed a bright orange plastic pumpkin basket and kissed his mother and grandmother goodbye. He rushed out the door, ready for the night.

"Mama, shouldn't we start walking to Justin's house now? Look, it's starting to get dark and there are already trick-or-treaters!'" she said, tip toeing to see through the window.

"Okay baby, let me grab my sweater while Grandma helps you put your shoes on." She said, heading to the closet.

Simone helped Cassidy slip on her tiny white sandals, and straightened out her costume. "Wow, this dress looks so pretty on you Cassidy."

"That's cause you made it Gramma," she said, making her smile.

"Ready to go?" Joyce asked, slipping on her own sandals.

Cassidy nodded and grabbed a plastic pumpkin bucket, identical to the one Darrin had. She kissed Simone good bye, pulling her mother out the door.

The autumn leaves scattered around as the breeze whooshed passed them. Cassidy studied the decorations of the other houses; there were tombstones placed in the front yard, along with skeletons propped up against trees and cob webs hanging everywhere. Finally arriving at Justin's house, she rang the doorbell, which was answered by Lynn.

"Joyce! Hey, how are you?" Lynn asked, pulling her into a hug, "Oh, and look at you Cassidy! Pretty as always."

"Hey Lynn! I'm doing fine. But I can't stay long; I just wanted to drop this little one off. Thanks for taking her out tonight, I appreciate it," she said.

"No problem, well, I'll see you later. Tell everyone I wish them a happy Halloween," she said, as she hugged her friend.

"I will. Thanks again, Lynn. Cassidy, behave now."

"I will, Mama, I know."

"Alright, I'll see you both later tonight."

"Take care now, Joyce," Lynn said, watching her friend descend down the steps of the porch. Joyce waved, as Lynn called out laughing, "And tell Jim to lay off all those chocolate bars! He's almost getting bigger than you!" Joyce laughed and shook her head, disappearing down the street.

"Well, how about we go inside? Justin and Trace are in his room playing," Lynn said, ushering Cassidy inside. "I have to finish making these cookies, but you know you're always welcome to just go on in."

Cassidy thanked her and walked up the stairs, looking at pictures that hung on the wall: pictures of Justin when he was younger, pictures of Sadie and Lynn together at some sort of ranch, pictures of birthdays, Christmases, Thanksgivings, even pictures of Cassidy and Justin together. Reaching the top of the steps, she could see down at the end of the hall a large picture of Lynn and Randy's wedding day, surrounded by smaller pictures from the same day.

She could already hear Justin and Trace's laughter, as she neared the room... straight down the hallway, two doors on her right. Gripping the door knob, a sudden wave of nervousness came over her. 'What’s wrong with me?' she thought.

She entered the room only to find a Dracula tackling the Cat in the Hat over a pile of pillows. The Cat in the Hat countered a playful punch by flipping the Dracula over and slamming a pillow on his stomach.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry! Trace, are you hurt?"

"Sike!" he said, flipping them over again.

"Hey! Cheater!"

"Cheater? You were the one who said you could pull tiny cats out of your hat like the real Cat in the Hat could to distract me! You know i can beat you!"

"Cannot!"

"Can too!"

"Oh yeah? Take this!" Justin said, swinging a pillow onto Trace's face.

The boys rumbled and tumbled for a good three minutes until Trace stopped, hearing laughter.

"Justin, you hear that?"

"Yeah it sounds like..." Justin began, and then he saw her. Cassidy was leaning against the doorway, giggling at the two of them. Trace noticed her too, and quickly got off of Justin.

"Uh... Umm... h-hey Cassidy," Trace said, straightening out his cape, checking for any rips or tears. She didn't even bother responding because the laughter would not stop.

"Cassidy, hey," Justin said, standing up, placing the pillows back on his bed.

"You guys are so weird," she said, sitting down on the bed shaking her head. "Trace, your costume is cool. Justin, your costume is... is... nice... too."

She tried to hide her laughter, Justin had a nose and whiskers painted onto his face, and his curls were sticking out of the red and white striped hat.

Justin crossed his arms and pouted, "My mom made me, okay? I didn’t want this stupid costume!"

"Sure," Trace and Cassidy said together.

"She did!" He exclaimed. But before anyone could protest any further, Lynne called from downstairs.

“Kids, Rachel and Shelley are here!”

"C’mon, let’s just get going,” Justin said, leaving the room.

Rachel and Shelley were in the living room talking when the group (excluding Justin, who was in the kitchen getting cookies for everyone) walked in.

“Hey guys!” Rachel said, waving.

“You guys look so cool! Where’s Justin?”

“I think he’s in the kitchen, getting some cookies. You should see his costume!” Trace said.

Justin brought out a plate of chocolate chip cookies and handed some to each of his friends.

“Oh…my…” Shelley began.

“Hey, be quiet. I told you guys, it was my mom who wanted me to wear this stupid thing!” Justin said, stuffing his mouth with some cookies.

“Okay, who’s ready to go get some candy?” Lynn said, walking in, pulling a grey turtle neck over her head. “Justin, sweetie, be careful you might get your costume dirty. You cried and wailed and begged me to get it for you, and look now; you’re going to get crumbs and chocolate all over it!” Lynn brushed off her son’s cheeks and shook her head.

“Cried and wailed, Justin?” Cassidy said, crossing her arms.

Justin turned a bright shade of red as each of his friends shot him a questioning look, and burst out giggling.

“It’s okay, Justin, I’m sure that Cindy will really like you now that she’ll find out you wanted to be Cat in the Hat for Halloween.” Trace said, sarcastically.

“Cindy?” Lynn asked, looking down at Justin.

“Cindy Darwin, the prettiest girl in our grade. Justin has a big crush on her!” Trace said, smiling devilishly.

“Put a sock in it, Trace!” Justin snapped.

“Okay, okay, boys. C’mon, let’s get going before it gets too late.” Lynn said laughing as she ushered the children outside.

“Cassidy, c’mon, let’s go!” Rachel said, but Cassidy didn’t move. “Hey, you coming or what?”

Snapping out of her daze, Cassidy quickly said, “Oh, yeah. I’m coming, sorry.” She picked up her pumpkin bucket and headed out the door. The rest of the night, however, Cassidy couldn’t figure out why on earth the mention of Justin having a crush on Cindy bothered her.

Later that night Justin, Trace, (who was sleeping over) and Cassidy were in Justin's room watching late night cartoons.

"Man, that Bugs Bunny is so funny! Hey Justin, pass me those m&ms would ya?" Trace asked from his spot on the floor.

Justin tossed the bag of candy to his friend, purposely bonking his head.

"Ouch," he said rubbing his left temple, "what was that for?"

"For making fun of me earlier! Gosh, Trace, you're lucky you're my bestfriend or else-"

"Or else what?"

"Or else I'd kick your butt!"

"You can kick MY butt? Yeah right!" he said, standing up.

Cassidy didn't move from where she was sitting against Justin's dresser. She couldn't tell whether they were just arguing as always or they were actually fighting, neither of which she wanted to get involved in.

"I did it this afternoon, I'll do it again!"

"What are you so mad about anyway? It's because I had a cool costume and you had a baby costume!" Justin was about to protest but Trace continued, "Oh, I know! It's because I told your mom where Cindy's house is and when she saw you she laughed! She doesn't like you Justin!"

"Shut up Trace! It's not about that. I don't even like her! I just traded my PB&J sandwich for her tuna and then YOU were the one who said I have a crush on her!" Justin said as he flung off his sheets and stood up to directly face his much shorter friend.

Cassidy immediately took this as a signal to end things before they really got ugly. "Stop, both of you!" But neither listened.

"Okay then, you like Cassidy!"

Cassidy's eyes widened.

"Shut up Trace!"

"See! Everytime I say you another girl you say you don't but when I say you like Cassidy all you so is tell me to be quiet!"

"Quit it, NOW. Stop talking about things you don't know about Trace!"

"I said stop! Trace stop making fun of Justin and Justin stop telling Trace you're going to kick his butt. Start behaving you guys, you're supposed to be friends not enemies!"

"Fine," was all Trace responded with, and plopped back down on the carpet.

"Fine," Justin said boldly, returning to bed.

"FINE-ally," Cassidy sighed, "Okay, I'm going to the bathroom.

She left the room and walked down the hallway to enter the bathroom. Looking in the mirror at her reflection, Cassidy could see a mess of sugar and chocolate on her face. She washed her cheeks and scrubbed her chin, and dried off with a towel. She made her way back to Justin's room but heard the boys talking.

"...everyone can tell. Why don't you just tell her?"

"Because I don't like her."

"Yeah right. You always say that."

"Because it's the truth."

"No, it isn't. Justin-"

"Look! I don't like her! Why would I? She's just a girl. A weird, ugly, stupid girl!" Justin regretted the words as soon as they came out. But something inside of him continued. "I don't care about her! She just bothers me and follows me."

"Woah, isn't she your bestfriend?"

"I'm a boy. Boy's don't have girls as their bestfriends. There, so now will you quit it? Cassidy is just..."

Cassidy didn't want to hear anymore. She felt the tears fall down her cheeks. She ran down the stairs looking for Lynn.

"Okay, okay. I'll stop," Trace said, "Where's Cassidy? What's taking her so long?"

Meanwhile, downstairs Cassidy was still in search for Lynn, who she found on the living room couch reading a magazine.

"Mama Lynn?"

"Oh, Lord, Cassidy is that you?" Cassidy walked into the light of the tiny lamp on the table. "Oh, you scared me there. Are you crying?"

"Can I go home now?"

"Sweetie, what's the matter? The boys playing rough with you again? I told Justin-"

"Can I just go home, please?"

Without any further questions, Lynn dialed the number to the Sullivan home.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki