If This Is Real by chelsia


Number of reviews: 10
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Three and a half weeks later…

Brenna stomped the snow from her shoes as she stepped into the Harless house. The smell of baking met her nose and after taking off her shoes, she walked to the kitchen where she found Lynn.

“What are you making?”

Lynn looked up at her. “Oh, hi, Hun. Shortbread cookies.”

Brenna went to the oven and looked inside. “They smell good.”

“Thanks. Paul should be here with Justin soon and I thought they might like some.”

“I thought you would have gone to pick him up from the airport too.”

“I was going to, but I was in the middle of a whole bunch of baking.”

Brenna looked around the kitchen. “Yeah, it looks like you’ve been busy,” she said, seeing the food all over the counter.

“I’m making Christmas cookies for the neighbors.”

“Do you want some help?”

“Sure, Hun. If you want to fill those tins that would be great.”

“Okay.” Brenna went over to the counter and began to place cookies in the tins. Once she was done, she leaned against the counter and tapped her fingers on it. Lynn smiled at her.

“Getting anxious?”

Brenna smiled and stopped the movement of her fingers. “A bit I guess.” She sighed. “It feels like I haven’t seen him forever and it’s only been six days.”

Lynn continued smiling as she wiped the counter. “Last night on the phone he said about the same thing.”

“Well we’ve spent pretty much everyday, all day together since May. It’s just so weird to not see him.”

“It sounds like he’s pretty excited to see you too.”

Brenna smiled and looked down at the counter. She had left LA on the fifteenth and she hadn’t realized how much she was going to miss him. She had talked to him on the phone a few times, but that wasn’t the same as actually seeing him.

“Is your mom at work?”

“Yeah. After this she had until the second off. But she had to go in today until four…” she trailed off as she heard the sound of a car pulling into the driveway. She stood up straight. “I think they’re here.” She left the kitchen and quickly went to the front door. She slipped on her shoes and walked outside, blinking at the bright sun. Paul and Justin were both out of the car, pulling suitcases from the trunk. She smiled and made her way towards them. Justin looked up as she neared and his face broke into a smile.

“Hey,” she said when she reached him.

“Hey,” he returned, pulling her into a hug.

She closed her eyes and hugged him back tightly. She had missed the feeling of his arms around her. She breathed in deeply, smelling his familiar cologne and a rush of warmth went through her.

“I’ve missed you,” she heard him say quietly.

“I’ve missed you too.”

He chuckled a bit. “We’re pretty pathetic, Bren. It’s only been a week.”

She smiled. “I know.” She pulled her head back and looked up at him. “It’s still felt like forever though.”

“I know.” He leaned his head down to hers and kissed her softly for a moment before pulling back. “I’m so happy to be here.”

She smiled again and hugged him once more, leaning her head against his chest. After a minute of standing still, a chill went through her and she shivered.

“Where’s your jacket?” Justin asked, running his hands down her arms.

“I left it inside.”

“We should go in.”

She nodded and pulled back. “Where did Paul go?”

“Probably inside already.” He leaned down and picked up the remaining suitcase. With his free hand, he slammed the trunk closed and then grabbed her hand and began to walk with her to the house.

“Mm, smells good in here,” he said when they stepped into the house.”

“Your mom made shortbread cookies,” she said as they took off their shoes.

“Cool.”

They went to the kitchen where Lynn and Paul were. Branna stepped back as Lynn and Justin hugged and she sat on a chair by the table. She stayed in the kitchen for the next hour and a half as Justin caught up with his parents. Close to four o’clock, Lynn finished all her baking and watned to deliver them. When Paul went outside to shovel the driveway and sidewalk, Justin turned to her.

“Wanna help me unpack?”

“Sure.” She stood up and followed him out of the kitchen and upstairs to his room where Paul had put his suitcases.

“Why did you bring so much?” she asked, sitting down on his bed.

He shut the door. “Most of it’s presents. I didn’t really want to ship it all out in case it didn’t get here in time.”

“Is it okay to be opening the suitcases if they’re presents?”

“Yeah. They’re wrapped.”

She was about to get up but he stopped her. “I don’t really have to unpack now.”

She began to smile. “You have something better to do?”

“Yep.” He crawled onto the bed and pushed himself against her so she moved back onto her back. She smiled and stretched out her legs as he lowered himself over her.

“Mm, I’ve really missed you,” he said, moving his arms under her back. He leaned his head down and kissed her, moving his lips against hers until she opened her mouth. She moved her hands up his back as he deepened the kiss and threaded her fingers in his hair.

They laid there kissing for a while before they pulled away from each other. Justin moved off her and she turned on her side to face him. He kept his arms around her and smiled as he rested his head on his pillow.

“You’re staying here for supper, right?”

“I can. I’ll have to call my mom.”

“Invite her too. Mom won’t care.”

She smiled. “I’ll make sure with your mom and then I’ll call mine.” She yawned and brought up a hand to cover her mouth.

“So what have you been doing the past couple days?”

“Nothing. There’s not anything to really do around here.”

He laughed. “LA’s gotten to you.”

A smile came over her face. “Yeah, I think it finally has.”


Christmas Day

“Justin, could you please grab me a spoon?”

“Sure, Mom,” he said, going over to a drawer and pulling a spoon from it. He handed it to Lynn and then leaned back against the counter. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“I don’t think so, Hun. Elizabeth is going to help me with everything when she and Brenna get here.”

He checked his watch. “They should be here soon,” he said, hoisting himself up on the counter. He leaned his head back against the counter. “Are you gonna make those buns you made a couple years ago?”

“No, Brenna offered to make some biscuits or something. Which is good. One less thing to think about.”

“Yeah.” He sat there for another minute before the doorbell rang. He jumped off the counter. “I’ll get it.” He went to the front door and opened it with a smile.

“Merry Christmas,” he said when he saw Brenna and her mother standing on the doorstep.

“Merry Christmas,” they both echoed back.

He stepped to the side and held open the door so they could come in. His eyes ran over Brenna has she slipped off her jacket. She had on a pair of black pants and a light pink, soft looking and form fitting sweater that he had never seen before. Her hair was down and curled at the ends.

He took their jackets and hung them in the closet.

“Is Lynn in the kitchen, Justin?” Elizabeth asked.

“Yeah.”

“I’m going to go give her this food.”

Justin watched her walk to the kitchen and then turned to Brenna. “You look really nice,” he said, leaning down to kiss her quickly.

She smiled. “Thanks.”

“Did you get that sweater for Christmas?”

“Yeah, my mom got it for me.”

He put his arm around her and let his hand slide down her waist to rest on her hip. “What else did you get?”

“Some gift certificates, more clothes, some books, candles. What about you?”

“The usual. Mom got me a whole bunch of video games.”

Brenna smiled and rolled her eyes. “Like you need more.”

He laughed and lightly squeezed her hip. “If you’d let me teach you how to play them, you’d understand.”

“I think I’ll pass.” She leaned down and picked up the bag she had brought in with her. “I have some presents here. Where should I put them?”

“Living room.” He walked with her into the living room and waited as she put the presents under the Christmas tree. When she finished, he grabbed her hand. “I want to give you your present now. It’s in my room.”

“Okay.”

He led her upstairs to his room. From his dresser drawer he pulled out a small wrapped box. Sitting on his bed, he pulled her down sideways on his lap and handed her the present. “Okay, open.”

He watched in excitement as she pulled back the wrapping paper. He hadn’t even been able to buy the present until after she left for Shelby Forest because he hadn’t wanted her to find out.

She pulled off the wrapping paper to find the jewelry box. She cracked it open and stilled. “Wow…”

He took it from her and pulled out the silver chain with the small diamond dangling on it. He moved her hair to one side and clasped it around her neck.

“Are these real?” she asked, holding up the jewelry box to examine the diamond stud earrings that still sat inside of it.

“Mm hmm.”

“I’ve never had a real diamond before.”

“Well now you have three. Do you like it?”

“I love it. Thank you so much, Justin,” she said hugging him.

He smiled and hugged her back. “You’re welcome.”

“I should give you your present now too,” she said pulling back. She stood up long enough to pull a small card from the back pocket of her pants and then she sat back down again. She handed it to him.

He took it from her and slid his thumb under the flap of the envelope, breaking the seal. From the envelope, he pulled out a folded piece of paper and opened it to see Brenna’s writing.

What do you get the guy who has everything? One full day of golfing with Shaun Micheel Have fun. -Brenna

He read it again and then looked up at her. “Shaun Micheel? Are you serious?”

She nodded.

“He won the PGA. How did you do this?”

“I made a whole bunch of phone calls and used every connection I have,” she replied. “This guy is not easy to get in touch with.”

“This is so cool. I can’t believe you did this.” He hugged her and gave her a kiss. “You’re amazing. Thank you.”

She smiled. “You’re welcome. So don’t plan anything on the tenth. I already cleared the day with Johnny.”

“This is so cool,” he repeated, reading the note again. “I gotta go tell my mom.”

Brenna stood up and he got up as well. They went downstairs to the kitchen where Lynn and Elizabeth were.

“Mom, Bren arranged for me to have a day of golfing with Shaun Micheel!” he said excitedly.

Lynn looked up. “Who?”

“Shaun Micheel. He won the PGA last year.” He waited for her to recognize the name and when she didn’t, sighed in exasperation. “He’s a really, really good golfer, Mom.”

“Oh. Well that’s wonderful. You’re more creative with gifts for him than I am, Brenna.”

Brenna smiled. “I tried.”

As Brenna showed her mother her new jewelry, Justin went to the oven and opened it to look in at the cooking turkey. He breathed in the smell deeply and then closed the oven.

“How much time until it’s ready, Mom?”

“Oh, awhile yet, Justin.”

“Bren, wanna go for a walk?”

She looked over at him and nodded. “Sure.”

He went with her towards the front door and handed her jacket to her. After putting on his own jacket and his shoes, he opened the door and followed her outside.

Once they were on the road, he picked up her hand and intertwined his fingers through hers.

“Where do you want to go?”

She shrugged. “I don’t care.”

He veered off the roads and onto a path through the woods. “It’s so nice out.”

“I know. I wonder if the snow will melt.”

“Maybe.” He swung their connected hands and breathed in deeply. They walked in silence for a while before he said anything. “What do you want to do for New Years Eve?”

“I don’t know. Would you think I’m a complete old grandma if I just want to stay at home?”

He laughed. “No. That’s actually what I was thinking. After all those Christmas parties, I don’t think I can handle another one. We should do it with both our families. That would be fun.”

“Yeah. Our moms have become really good friends since we left. Have you noticed that?”

“Yeah, I have. It’s good.”

“Mm hmm. It’s good for my mom I think because she was so used to me being at home and your mom knows how it is with you being in LA.”

“Mom probably tells her all these horror stories about how I never visit or call.”

“You call home like every two days.”

He smiled. “Mom still says I don’t call enough.”

“She’s just teasing you. Most kids who live away from home don’t call as much as you do.”

“Maybe.” He looked out at the pathway in front of her. “The weather’s perfect for snowballs I bet.”

Her hand gripped his tightly as he tried to pull it away. “Don’t.”

He smiled. “Don’t what?”

“Don’t throw a snowball at me.”

He looked off to the side at a large snow bank and smiled. “Throw snow at you? I’m shocked you would ever think I would do that.”

She rolled her eyes. “Sure you are.”

He gave her hand a little tug, pulling her over closer to him. He wrapped his arms around her waist and took a few steps backwards. “You have no faith in me, Bren.”

She started to reply but before she could, he fell back into the snow bank, bringing her with him. So he wouldn’t get wet, he moved so she was on her back in the snow bank. She groaned and shut her eyes.

“You liar. You said you wouldn’t push me into the snow.”

“No, I said I wouldn’t throw snow at you.” He smiled at her sigh. “See, I pushed you into the snow but didn’t throw it at you.”

He would have said more but at that point, Brenna, with a smile, pushed a handful of snow into his face.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki