If This Is Real by chelsia


Number of reviews: 10
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


A feeling of unease went through Brenna at her mother’s words. “Why would I need to be sitting down?” she asked slowly.

There was a silence on the other end of the phone, followed by a sigh. “Ellie died this morning, Sweetie.”

Brenna’s eyes widened. “Ellie? Aunt Ellie?”

“Yeah.”

She sagged against the counter. “What happened?”

“She had a heart attack. She was able to call an ambulance but it was too late. I’m so sorry, Sweetie.”

Brenna shook her head and closed her eyes. This couldn’t be happening.

“Brenna? Are you still there?”

She heard the sound of the front door opening and opened her eyes. “Yeah. But-but, Mom, she was healthy.”

“I know, Honey. Sometimes these things just happen.”

Justin came into the kitchen and smiled at her. She simply stared back at him.

“I don’t understand.”

“I know, Bren. It’s a horrible thing to happen.” Elizabeth was silent for a moment. “The girls have planned the funeral for Monday. I didn’t know if you would want to be there.”

“I do.”

“You don’t have to be in LA?”

Brenna looked over at Justin again who had come to stand in front of her. He gave her a questioning look.

“I’ll figure it out,” she said softly. “I have to come though.”

“I figured as much so I checked the flights. There’s one tonight leaving LA at eight. The next one to Tennessee isn’t until tomorrow afternoon.”

“I’ll get the one tonight.”

“Okay, Sweetie. I’ll pick you up from the airport.”

“Okay. I’m going to go pack.”

“Alright. Bye.”

“Bye.” She hung up the phone and closed her eyes tightly.

“What’s going on?”

She opened her eyes. “My aunt died this morning.”

His expression changed. “Oh no. I’m so sorry. What happened?”

“She had a heart attack.”

“That’s awful.” He pulled her into a hug. “That was your mom?”

She nodded. “I need to go to Shelby Forest.”

“Of course. Do you want me to come?”

She pulled back and shook her head. “No, that’s okay. I think I’d rather just go alone.”

He brought up his hand to her face and brushed some hair away from it. “Are you okay?”

She shrugged as an answer. “My mom says there’s a flight leaving at eight. I don’t know if I can make it though.”

He checked his watch. “It’s not even six. You can make it. Why don’t you go pack and I’ll call the airlines and get a ticket? Then I’ll drive you to the airport.”

She nodded slowly. “Okay.” She moved past him and trudged upstairs. She wanted to cry but her emotions just seemed to be dulled. It was all she could do to pack her clothes. Justin came up just as she was finishing.”

“I got you the ticket,” he said, coming into her room. “I got a one way ticket because I wasn’t sure how long you wanted to stay.”

“I don’t know how long.”

“Did you want help packing?”

She shut her suitcase and zipped it up. “I’m done.”

“We should go soon. There’s gonna be traffic.”

The ride to the airport was silent and she stared out the window for the majority of it. The next words spoken were as Justin walked her to the terminal.

“You’re sure you don’t want me to come with you?”

She nodded. “Yeah. Is it going to be okay with me not being here?”

“Kate can be my PA. She’s done it before when Trace was sick or whatever.”

“Okay.”

He stopped outside the security gate, not being able to go any further. “Will you call me when you get there?”

She nodded silently.

He leaned down and kissed her quickly. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” she said softly and swallowed hard. She adjusted her bag on her shoulder as she pulled back and then turned to go through security, leaving Justin standing there.


“I’m so glad you came, Bren,” Mary Woods said two days later.

Brenna forced a smile onto her face as she hugged her cousin. “Me too.” She sighed. “I still can’t believe it.”

Mary pulled back. “I know. Mom was so healthy. No one was expecting it.”

“The funeral was really nice though.”

“Yeah, it was.”

Brenna looked around the house where people who had been at the funeral were slowly leaving. “How long are you staying here before you go back to school?”

“Probably a couple weeks.” Mary sighed and wiped her eyes. “I don’t even know what I’m gonna do with the house. Neither Cass or I have lived at home for at least two years. I don’t know if I should sell it or what.”

“You don’t have to decide right now.”

“I know.” Mary gave her a small smile. “So were you wanting to stay here tonight? I can make up the guestroom if you didn’t feel like driving back to Shelby Forest.”

A brief smile graced Brenna’s lips “The last thing you want right now it company, Mary.”

Her cousin gave her a genuine smile. “I know. I keep forgetting you’ve gone through this all before.” She sighed. “I just wish everyone would leave. I know they all mean well but I’m just tired of being around people.”

“It looks like everyone is starting to leave,” Brenna said. “Did you want me to stay and help you clean up?”

“No, that’s okay. I don’t mind cleaning.” Mary shrugged. “It’ll help keep my mind off things.”

“I think I’m going to leave then. Gives you one less person to worry about.”

“Thanks, Bren,” Mary said, hugging her. “Call sometime later this week if you’re still here and we could do something.”

“Sure.” Brenna pulled back and went across the room to where her other cousin, Cass, was and also hugged her and said goodbye.

She drove from Memphis to Shelby Forest in complete silence, spending the entire time thinking. By time she reached her house, she was exhausted and her head hurt.

How was it?” Elizabeth asked when Brenna came through the door.

“Fine,” Brenna replied softly, slipping off her shoes. “Mary and Cass both said to say hello.”

“I’ll have to call tomorrow at some point. You gave them those flowers?”

Brenna started to move towards the stairs. “Yeah.”

“Oh, Justin called, Sweetie. Wanted you to call him back when you got home.”’

She nodded. “Okay.” Not bothering to get the phone, she went downstairs to her bedroom. Once there, she changed into her pajamas and crawled into bed. Her thoughts and emotions finally overwhelmed her and she began to cry. And for the first time, it felt like her tears would never stop.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki