War of the Roses by Jessica


Number of reviews: 0
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


“So, what do I do, Lane? I never wanted things to be like this.” Jenna adjusted the phone on her shoulder as she put her earrings in.

“Well, you sound interested in this David guy and I think right now Lance is just having trouble with the idea that you’re not completely focused on him. Keep dating David and see where that goes. Lance will either straighten up or not. You shouldn’t worry about it. Just live your life.”

Jenna thought about what Lane said. Then the doorbell rang. “Shit, he’s here. I’ve gotta go. We are having a picnic today, I think.”

“Have fun and tell me what happens, okay? Don’t let Lance get to you.”

Jenna slid her shoes on as she grabbed for her purse. “I’ll try not to. Thanks for listening, girl. You don’t know how much I miss you.”

“Anytime.”

“Bye Lane.”

“Bye.” As Jenna clicked off the phone, she opened the front door.

“Hi Jenna! You ready to go?” David smiled at her.

“Yeah, I think.” Jenna looked down at her purple plaid Capri’s and white tank. “Am I dressed properly? I’m not really sure what you have planned for today.”

“You look perfect and I like to surprise my dates.” David extended his hand to help usher Jenna out the door. They got in his car and only drove a few blocks away from her house to a nearby park. When they stopped, David opened the trunk and emerged with a picnic basket and a large blanket. Jenna followed David to a shaded spot overlooking the park and helped him spread out the blanket. “So did you have to work today?” David asked as he began to spread out the food he brought.

“No, not really. I don’t really have a set schedule. I normally do the Monday to Friday nine to five bit, but I can come in any day for any length of time. Just as long as everything gets done, Johnny doesn’t care. What about you? Do you have to work today?” Jenna reached for the thermos of iced tea and the two glasses David packed to make drinks for them both.

“Yeah, actually I’m going in at five tonight. That’s why I was hoping a Saturday lunch date would be alright with you.” David took the glass Jenna handed him and nodded in thanks.

“Anything that gets me out of that house on a beautiful day like this is alright with me.” Jenna took a deep breath of the clean Orlando air then looked at the contents of the container David was opening. “Did you cook for me?”

David let out a soft laugh. “Well, sort of. It’s just a pasta salad, but I made it.” He scooped two spoonfuls onto a plate, put some crackers around it then handed that plate and a fork to Jenna before making his plate. “Now, there’s more if you want some.”

“Thanks.” Jenna took a small bite. “This is good.” She took another bite. “I want to get this recipe from you.”

David laughed and said, “Sure.” They ate a few bites in silence then David spoke up. “So, how was your dinner last night with…with…”

“Joey and Kelly?”

“Yeah!”

“It was okay. A little tense, though.”

“Why? If you don’t mind me asking.” David took a sip of his tea then nibbled a cracker.

“Well, I don’t really want to get too into it, but Lance was there and he and I aren’t getting along great right now.” Jenna rolled her eyes then took another bite of her salad.

“You mean this wonderful little Texas girl isn’t getting along with one fifth of American’s most loved boy bands.”

“Vocal group.” Jenna laughed.

“Oh sorry!” David patted Jenna’s knee.

“Let’s just say that sometimes it’s easier to idolize those guys than work for them.” David nodded in understanding. Jenna and David finished eating and continued chatting. When they were done, David put the stuff back in his trunk and took Jenna on a walk around the park. Around four o’clock, David said he needed to get home and get ready for work. He said he’d call and set up another date. Jenna was happy about that. She had enjoyed her afternoon and it almost made her forget about the fight she had the night before.

David walked her to her front door. “I had a good time this afternoon. I almost wish I didn’t have to work.”

“Yeah. It was fun.” Jenna smiled as she saw David lean in for a kiss. It was more passionate than the one they had first shared only two days before. He caressed her cheek with his thumb and could feel her smile.

“I’ll talk to you soon, okay?” David ran his hand down Jenna’s arm and grabbed her hand.

“Okay. Have fun at work.” She looked down at her hand in his.

“I’ll try.”

“Bye!” Jenna waved as David got back in his car. He waved back then pulled out of her driveway. Jenna walked in her house and tossed her purse on her kitchen bar. Her head was swimming with thoughts of David’s smile, what almost felt like too much affection too soon from him and Lance calling her nothing. 'I need some Advil and a nap.' Jenna thought as she kicked her shoes off.
========================================================================
“Wright Entertainment Group. Jenna Sutherland speaking.” Jenna answered the phone for what seemed like the hundredth time that morning. The closer it got to Challenge for the Children, the more people forgot what they were supposed to do and had to call. “Correct, the guys don’t need the gift bags. Make them up for everyone else and put them with each person’s jersey and shoes…No, no, that’s all right. If you need anything else, just call…You’re welcome. Bye now.” Jenna hung up the phone and mumbled under her breath, “idiot.”

“Jenna?” Johnny said.

“Hum?”

“Have I mentioned how glad I am you’re here and that I don’t have to deal with the idiots this year?” Johnny chuckled.

“Shut it, old man, or I’ll go home.” Jenna smiled at Johnny as she threw a paper clip at him.

“Okay, okay. Don’t get violent. Could you hand me the folder of scripts for Lance. He should be here any minute now.”

“Sure.” Jenna searched through the file cabinet until she found the file labeled ‘Scripts-JLB.’ She pulled it out and set it on Johnny’s desk.

“Thanks!” The gate intercom buzzed on Johnny’s desk. “Yes.”

“I have a delivery for Jenna Sutherland.” A young voice responded.

“Come on in.” Johnny buzzed the gate open and told the young man where to come to.

“I’ll go meet him at the front door. I need to stretch my legs anyway.” Jenna clicked save on her computer then minimized the document she was working on. Just as she walked out the office door, she passed Lance. It had been a week and a half since their fight at Joey’s and they hadn’t even said hello since that day.

Surprisingly, Lance acknowledged Jenna. Yet his voice dripped with disdain. “Jenna.”

She nodded. “Lance. Johnny’s ready for you.” Even though she hadn’t talked to Lance in a while, he always seemed to overhear her and Kelly’s conversations about her dates or phone calls with David. Right when Jenna got to the front door, she saw a young man poke his head in with a vase full of roses in his hand. “Hi. I’m Jenna Sutherland. Are those for me?”

The man looked relieved that he didn’t have to trapes all around this house. “Yes. Could you sign this for me please?”

“Sure.” Jenna sighed the clipboard, took the roses, twenty-four all of different colors, tipped the man then read the note.

Jenna-
Was just thinking about you. Hope you like these.
-David

Jenna just shook her head. He was too much. David had been so wonderful to her since they met and all she could think about was how it seemed like he wanted more a lot quicker than she did. But she had to admire his charm. She smiled as she leaned in to smell the flowers then walked back into the office.

“That story line sounds good, but I don’t think I want to act in it. Maybe just produce it.” Lance said as he flipped through a script.

“Whatever you think, but I think that one’s a winner.” Johnny looked up at Jenna as she opened the office door. “Nice flowers. They from David?’

Jenna nodded as she cleared a place on her desk for them. “Yeah.”

“Isn’t it a little quick to be getting roses from this guy?” Lance asked. “Plus that many is a little tacky.”

“Well, I’m sorry you disapprove, Mr. Bass. But I think they’re beautiful and that it’s nice he thought about me like that.”

“What’s the occasion?” Johnny asked as he shot a concerned look between Lance and Jenna.

“You put out last night or something?” Lance glared at Jenna.

“You’re such a dumb bastard. I don’t ‘put out’ for anyone. The card said he was just thinking of me, that’s all.” Jenna sat in her seat and looked Lance straight in the eyes. “It’s a novel concept, to show how you really feel about someone, instead of playing silly games because it’s comfortable.”

“You know the only reason you’re with him is because you couldn’t get one of us to treat you like the queen you think you are.”

Jenna stood up, causing Lance to do the same. “No, the only reason I’m dating him is because he’s one of the only guys in this whole damn town who doesn’t have his head stuck up his ass like you do.”

Before Lance could strike back, Johnny got in between the two. “What the hell is wrong with you?” Lance and Jenna turned their backs to each other like little kids. “Lance? Jenna?” Neither answered. “Fine. You don’t want to say anything, that’s your choice. But whatever is going on between you two stays out of this office. We have to work together for a long time so whatever this is better be resolved soon. Do you understand?” Jenna nodded. “Lance?” He nodded. “Good, now apologize.”

“What!” Lance and Jenna replied in unison.

“You both said shitty things to each other and I will not tolerate that in my office. Apologize.”

Jenna looked up at Lance and for a moment thought she saw true sorrow. But soon realized he was just sorry he was being called down by his boss. They both mumbled sorries to each other then Jenna grabbed her purse. “I’m going home early. I’ll see you tomorrow Johnny.” She grabbed her flowers and left the compound as Lance looked through the scripts for a few more minutes then also left.
=============================================================================
Jenna couldn’t believe she could be so stressed out over what was supposed to be a fun filled weekend, but this being her first Challenge for the Children event and with all the little things that had already gone wrong, she was about to lose her mind. It was only an hour until the opening press conference and she was becoming a nervous wreck. “Why will the rest of it stay up, but the front keeps falling?” Chris tried to make the front of his new Mohawk stand up, but whenever he moved his hands, it kept falling flat.

“Well, first stop messing with it and go get one of the hair people to put some goop in it.” JC said as he fiddled with this turquoise necklace.

“Whatever you do, Chris, get it done fast. As soon as the sound people find the microphones, we are going to need to set levels and then press gets to come in here in like forty minutes.” Jenna said as she checked her watch.

The walkie-talkie on her hip buzzed. “Jenna, there’s someone here trying to get in. Says he knows you.”

Jenna grabbed for her walkie-talkie and clicked the red button. “Does he have a pass?”

“Yes.”

“Then let him in. That’s what the passes are for.” Jenna shook her head.

“Okay. Where are you so I can send him that way?”

“Press room.” She put the walkie-talkie back on her hip then rubbed her temples. “Do people always lose all common sense when there are events like this?”

The guys just smiled at her. Chris put his arm around her and gave her a half hug. “Now you know what it’s like to be us.”

“Who has his hands on my woman?” A voice from behind the circle asked.

“Your woman?” Lance responded.

Jenna turned around to see who was talking then gave him a hug. “Hey David! I’m glad you’re here.”

“I almost thought they weren’t going to let me in.” David shrugged as he joined the circle.

Jenna let out an annoyed sigh. “Don’t get me started. Let me introduce you to everyone. David this is Justin Timberlake, Lance Bass, JC Chasez, you’ve met Joey before, and Chris Kirkpatrick.” Jenna pointed at each guy and they all shook hands. “Guys, this is David Lacy.”

“It’s nice to meet you, David. First time to do something like this?” JC asked cordially. Lance shot him a look.

“Well, I actually come every year for the game, but it’s going to be fun getting to do everything this year.” David grabbed for Jenna’s hand.

“Wow! Didn’t realize you were dating a fan, Jenn.” Chris said as he nudged her.

“Me either.” She looked up at David for more explanation.

“Well, when you first had this, my girlfriend drug me to it. But I really enjoyed the game and the charity is a great cause. So I now come every year. My restaurant even does stuff for the event.”

“Like what?” Lance snottily asked.

“Well, all weekend long, if you come in and show your ticket stub, you get a free desert. And we have an item on our menu that anytime during the year, if someone orders it we give all the profits to you guys. We give like every three months or so.”

“What item is it?” Joey asked, hoping that David didn’t notice Lance staring at him holding Jenna’s hand.

“It’s called Daze ‘n Knights. It’s half a plate of spaghetti and half a plate of fettuccini alfredo. At first we were worried that we wouldn’t sell much of it, but we normally sell five or so plates a night. Mostly to eighty pound fourteen year olds, but I think that’s because we put on the menu that the proceeds go to you guys.” David seemed proud to be telling the guys about his restaurant.

“That’s awesome man. We really appreciate it. Hey, you want to get the grand tour?” Justin asked David.

“Sure.”

“I’ll come too!” Joey said as the three walked off.

“I need to go get my hawk fixed. Where are the hair people?” Chris asked as he messed with his hair again.

“I think near the locker room.” Jenna replied. Chris walked in the same direction as Joey, Justin, and David had gone leaving Jenna, JC, and Lance still standing around waiting for the sound people.

“You’ve got yourself a really nice guy there.” JC said nodding towards the locker room.

“Thanks.” Jenna gave a weak smile then looked up at Lance.

“Yeah, he does seem nice.” Lance admitted then dropped his eyes.

Jenna thought she heard sarcasm in Lance’s voice and her already stressed out mind was over analyzing everything. Feeling like that was the last straw, she pointed her finger in Lance’s chest and began to go off on him. “He is a nice guy! Whether you believe it or not. He treats me well. He’s polite and courteous and gentlemanly. He showers me with attention, listens when I talk. I think he loves me.” Jenna stopped a moment to take in what she had said, but continued before Lance could open his mouth. “He treats a girl the way she needs to be treated. The way she wants to be treated. You could take some lessons from him, Mr. Bass.”

Lance grabbed Jenna by her wrist and pulled her into him, all the while JC just stood there and watched it all unfold. “Do you love him?”

“What?”

“Do you love David?” Lance stared deep into Jenna’s eyes.

She pulled her wrist free and pushed Lance back to give herself some space. “That’s none of your business. Like you even care.”

They just looked at each other until the walkie-talkie broke the silence. “Jenna.”

“What?” She yelled into it.

“Um…well, we have a situation in the locker room. They put Stinky on the back of Justin’s jersey and he’s going a little nuts.”

“Shit!” Jenna closed her eyes. “I’ll be right there. Get the screen printers on the phone and find a blank jersey.” Without saying anything to the boys, Jenna ran towards the locker room.

“What was all that about?” JC broke the silence.

“I don’t want to get into it, Jace. It’s too confusing.” Lance rubbed his temples as two young men walked up to him.

“Um, guys we found the mics and are ready to start setting levels. Where’s Jenna?”

JC laughed. “She’s a little busy. I’ll round everybody up and we’ll do it in like ten minutes, okay?”

“Okay.” The sounds guys looked confused, but began to set up the mics on the table.
===============================================================================
“So, what do you think I should do mom?” Jenna asked then switched the phone from one ear to the other.

“I think you need to make that decision for yourself.”

“That’s not what you’re supposed to say.”

“What do you want me to say, honey?” Mrs. Sutherland laughed.

“I don’t know.” Jenna said as she twirled a piece of hair in her free hand. “Your supposed to tell me if calling him is a good idea.”

“Well, I don’t think you should do it over the phone, but if you aren’t happy and you think telling him would help, then you need to tell him. Things won’t change if you don’t talk to him.” Jenna let out a sigh, but knew her mother was right. “And honey, the longer you put it off, the harder it will be.”

“I know. I know.”

“Well, Jenn, I hate to do this, but I need to go. I love you and tell me what you do and how it all goes.”

“I will mom. Thanks. I love you too. Tell dad I said hi.”

“I will honey.”

“Bye mom!”

“Bye!” Jenna clicked the phone off, took a deep breath then dialed the number.

The phone was picked up in two rings and in the background she heard the news. “Hello?”

“Hey! It’s Jenna.” She nervously said.

“Hi! I wasn’t expecting you to call.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m…I need to talk to you. Are you busy right now?”

“No.”

“Well, this is a face-to-face conversation. Could you meet me at Starbucks on 4th in like fifteen minutes?” Jenna began to twirl her hair again.

“Yeah sure. See you there.” Jenna hung up the phone, grabbed her stuff then gave herself a once over. When she got to Starbucks, she sat down at a corner table and waited for him to show up. She had only been sitting for a few minutes when he walked up and sat across from her.

“Thanks for meeting me on such short notice.” Jenna looked down at her hands on the table, not really wanting to make eye contact.

“No problem. What’s up?”

Jenna let out a soft sigh then took a quick second to think of what she wanted to say. “David,” she said finally making eye contact with him. “You are a wonderful man and these last six weeks have been great, but…”

“But what?” He reached across the table and grabbed Jenna’s hands.

“I don’t think I feel the same way you do about this. About us. And I think we should end it before it gets too far.” Even though Jenna’s voice was shaky, she was sure of what she was saying.

“Are you breaking up with me?” David pulled his hands back and searched Jenna’s eyes for an explanation.

“See, here’s what I’m saying. We are only dating but you think this is breaking up, which is a term I use when I’m someone’s girlfriend. I’m not trying to sound like a bitch, but you just want more that I do from this right now. I’m sorry.”

Sheepishly David replied, “Yeah, me too.”

“I really am sorry! You’re a great guy. I’m…I’m sorry.” Jenna couldn’t look at David, afraid she was going to cry.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you around.” David sighed, stood up and walked out of the coffee shop. Jenna put her head in her hands and began to cry.
=============================================================================
Jenna spent the next few days in a funk. She knew she had made the right decision, but that didn’t make her feel any better about having done it. She sat at her desk at the compound typing, not even taking in the words she was putting up on the screen. She stopped typing when she heard Lance’s voice yell her name through the house. Lance pushed open Johnny’s office door and saw Jenna sitting, staring blankly at her computer screen. “There you are. Do you purposefully try to do things to piss me off?” Jenna didn’t answer, just looked up at Lance with a blank look on her face. She had her glasses on, no make-up, and her hair pulled back, looking unbrushed. Lance had never seen her unfixed. He lowered his voice. “You’re, um…you’re parked in my spot.”

Jenna blinked her eyes then opened her top desk drawer to get her car keys out. “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize. I’ll move my car.” She stood up and walked out of the office.

As she passed JC, he looked up at her. “Where are you going?”

“I’ve got to move my car. I parked in Lance’s spot.”

“We don’t have spots out there.” Jenna just shrugged her shoulders. “Jenna, are you okay?” She nodded. “Um, well, are you still coming over for the barbeque Friday? I’m ready to try out my new grill.”

“Yeah, I’ll be there.” She then started walking towards the front door.

JC yelled at Jenna’s back, “You can bring David if you want.” Jenna sighed then walked to her car.

As she unlocked her car door, Justin hopped out of his. “Where you goin’?”

“Got to move my car. Parked in Lance’s spot”

Justin looked confused. “We don’t have spots.” Jenna shrugged her shoulders then got in her car, cranked it and drove out of the compound.

“Where’d she go?” JC asked Justin.

“I don’t know.” Justin looked at Lance, who was looking over JC’s shoulder, watching Jenna drive away. “Dude, why’d you tell her she parked in you spot?”

“Yeah Lance. What’s up with you two?” JC asked as the three stepped back inside.

“I was just joking with her. I don’t know why she left.” Lance started picking at the hem of his shirt.

“Joking with her my ass.” Justin rolled his eyes. “You two have been having this stupid lover’s spat for too damn long.”

“Lover’s spat? What are you talking about?”

“Lance,” JC said as the boys sat down on the couch. “It’s been so obvious that you two have a thing. Then she started dating David and you guys started fighting. What is it? If you can’t have her, no one can?”

Lance looked from JC to Justin then down to the floor. “You don’t know what you’re talking about, Jace.” Lance said almost inaudibly, then stood up and left the room.

“I’ve never seen him be such an ass and be so oblivious about a chick before.” Justin shook his head.

“I just hope they work it out soon before they make us all miserable.”


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki