How To Plan Your Ex's Wedding by dancewithurheart08


Number of reviews: 44
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Is this wrong? I have a boyfriend whose a few feet away making new friends and my ex just kissed my hand. I’m not supposed to feel anything, right? No. I blush like crazy and feel those familiar butterflies inside my stomach. God, this should not be happening. I shouldn’t have feelings for this man anymore. Yet I still do.

The band starts to play a slow song and I look over to see that Bryan’s chatting it up with Mr. Diaz and Cameron.

Girl I’m in love with you, but this ain’t the honeymoon
We’re past the infatuation phase


“Danielle,” Justin says as he holds out his hand, “would you like to dance?”

I look back at Bryan again to see him still talking and figure that he’s not going to stop anytime soon. It also looks like Cameron’s preoccupied so hopefully this won’t blow up in my face.

Right in the thick of love; at times we get sick of love
It seems like we argue everyday


“Sure,” I say as I accept his hand and walk over near the band and get ready to dance. His right hand grabs my left hand, my other free hand rests on his shoulder while his rests dangerously close to my waist.

I know I misbehaved and you’ve made your mistakes
And we both still got room left to grow


“This is nice,” I say hesitantly.

Justin chuckles, “That’s good to hear. I was afraid I was gonna get rejected.”

“Me reject you? Never,” I tease.

“I’m actually surprised you came,” he adds.

“I am, too. But I wanted to come and support you. Even though we’re in a sticky spot at the moment, we are friends.”

And though love sometimes hurts, I still put you first
And we’ll make this thing work, but I think we should take it slow


“Thank you,” Justin says with a smile. “And between me and you, I almost didn’t show up tonight either.”

“Why? It’s your party.”

“But it’s not what I want, Danielle. I don’t want this marriage.”

“Then why don’t you get out of all this before it’s too late?”

“It IS too late,” Justin replies with a sigh.

“No it’s not. Nobody’s forcing you to do this, Justin. And even if they are, it’s not their choice, it’s yours. It’s your life, and if you’re not happy with this, don’t have Cameron walk down the isle.”

“It’s not that easy. She actually loves me, Dani. Her family is counting on this to work and I just..I can’t bail.”

We’re just ordinary people, we don’t know which way to go

“It shouldn’t matter what her family wants if that’s what’s pulling this together. Marriage only works if both people want it. It’ll just end up worse if you get married to someone you don’t love and you’ll eventually get a divorce.”

Justin looks down at the ground as we continue to dance. It’s so obvious he doesn’t want this, but he doesn’t want hurt anyone in the end.

I lift up his chin so his eyes stare directly into mine, “If this truly isn’t what you want, let it go. Get out. Do what you want to do, not what other people want you to do.”

Cause we’re ordinary people, maybe we should take it slow

“I’ll try..I really will,” Justin says with a faint smile.

Take it slow, this time we’ll take it slow

I don’t know what came over me, but I lean over to kiss him on the cheek and rest my head on his shoulder. Right then and there, I should have backed away, but now I’m getting more comfortable with him. More than I should.

This ain’t a movie, no; no fairy tale conclusion ya’ll
It gets more confusing everyday


Why am I doing this? This is only encouraging him to move on to the next level. I don’t need to be the reason of causing a scene between him and Cameron tonight. But I can’t back away from him. It just feels...right to be here as he holds me while we dance. The whole world feels right. It’s like heaven when I’m with him, no matter how much we fight.

Sometimes it’s heaven sent, then we head back to hell again
We kiss then we make up on the way


I look around the other people dancing and spot Bryan and Cameron dancing. Apparently, Bryan said something to her that made her laugh.

Oh life and its ironies.

“Justin,” I say as I look up at him, “do you see who else is dancing?”

Justin looks turns his head to see Bryan and Cameron still dancing.

“Eh..let ‘em dance. I’d rather dance with you than her,” he says as he looks at me.

I’d say right about now, he’s falling for me again. Glad to know we’re on the same page for each other..even though this is a bad idea.

I hang up, you call, we rise and we fall
And we feel like just walking away
But as our love advances, we take second chances
Though it’s not a fantasy, I still want you to stay


Justin whispers in my ear, “Wanna hang out tonight after this is over?”

No, I shouldn’t accept his offer, “Sure. What about Cameron?”

We’re just ordinary people, we don’t know which way to go

“She already knows I’m heading back to my house afterwards. I have to record tomorrow at the crack of dawn. So that’s a good excuse to not stay the night at her house.”

I should just back away from this right now, “Do you wanna come over my place since Trace and your parents are staying at yours?”

What the hell am I getting myself into?

Cause we’re ordinary people, maybe we should take it slow
Take it slow, this time we’ll take it slow


“That could work..you’re not staying here the whole time are you?”

“Bryan wants to leave by eight and he’s my ride. He gave me the whole ‘I have to get up so early tomorrow’ speech so I’ll be waiting for you.”

“Wow. Party pooper,” Justin teases.

I roll my eyes, “Yeah, really.”

“I’ll try to be there by 9:30. If I’m not there by then, call me.”

No. If you’re not there by then, don’t show up at all. In fact, don’t even come at all, “Okay, I will.”

Maybe we’ll live and learn, maybe we’ll crash and burn
Maybe you’ll stay, maybe you’ll leave, maybe you’ll return
Maybe another fight, maybe we won’t survive
But maybe we’ll grow, we never know


“Looks like dinner’s ready,” Justin says as we look at the table we’re both sitting at.

Justin extends his arm out for me to hold onto as he leads me toward the table. Before I sit down, he whispers in my ear, “See you tonight.”

Oh boy..this is gonna be interesting.

Baby you and I, we’re just ordinary people
We don’t know which way to go
Cause we’re ordinary people, maybe we should take it slow


“Hey babe,” Bryan says to me as he sits in the seat next to me. “Having fun?”

“I guess..you?”

Bryan leans over, “I’m bored as hell.”

I snicker and catch Justin staring at us as he takes a seat next to Cameron and his mother.

“Well we’re here for the food right?” I whisper back teasingly.

“Hell yeah!” he whispers back..maybe a little too loud since Lynn is now watching us.

“What are you guys talking about?” Chris Kirkpatrick asks as he takes a seat next to me.

“Oh no, I have to eat dinner sitting next to you?” I say sarcastically.

“You should feel lucky and honored to sit next to yours truly!”

“Yeah, I used to until a few years ago when you squirted ketchup all over me on accident,” I tease.

“Okay, that wasn’t my fault the bottle wasn’t cooperating!”

“Maybe, but it sure seemed like you were enjoying yourself laughing at me with ketchup all over my new Gucci shirt.”

“Eh..get over it! It came out anyways!” Chris whines.

“Yeah, yeah..” I say as I notice Bryan’s watching us confused. “Oh Bryan! My bad! Chris, this is Bryan Lancaster. Bryan, this is Chris Kirkpatrick.”

“Nice to meet you man,” Bryan reaches his hand to Chris.

“You too. So are you and Dani..ya’ll an item?” he hints at.

“I believe so,” Bryan says as he looks at me with a smile.

“Well, I wish you luck man,” Chris teases.

Bryan chuckles and in shock, I’m about to reply to Chris with a smart comment until I hear Mr. Diaz try to get everyone’s attention at the table with a bell.

“Good evening everyone. I’m glad you could all make it tonight and we appreciate it. I’d like to make a toast to my daughter and her fiancé on their engagement and that we all wish them luck as they prepare to get married and start a life together,” Mr. Diaz says as he raises his glass full of champagne.

Oh yeah..I’m right with you Father Diaz. They’re gonna need the luck.

“To Justin and Cameron,” Mr. Diaz says.

The table replies with the same quote as we take a sip of our champagne. Mmm..is this Crystal?

“Everyone, I’d like to introduce you to the person who’s helping to make this wedding possible. My wedding planner, Danielle Morton,” Cameron says as she directs towards me.

“Aw man, Dani! You’re planning their wedding? Dear Lord..” Chris teases as everyone starts to laugh.

“Yes I am thank you very much,” I smile at Chris through my gritted teeth.

Sometimes, that boy needs to be slapped.

“Don’t worry, Chris, she’s doing a fine job!” Lynn says.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how did you know you wanted to become a wedding planner? You put such hard work into all the weddings you do, it makes me wonder,” Mrs. Diaz asks.

“Well..you see..my parents died when I was 8...at our house because it caught on fire..”

Lynn and Justin look at me with worried faces as everyone else listens, “I was at a lake…hanging out with a friend..”

“Dani! I saw another fish, that’s two for me!” my best friend, Chelsea Wood, says as we look into the lake to see who can see the most fish swimming around.

“Aw…I still have one!” I whine.

“Why don’t you guys just catch one?!” 9-year-old Justin asks as he sits on the grass with Trace in a state of boredom.

“Cause we don’t have any hooks!” I say.

“Catch ‘em with your hands!” Trace says.

“Eww! That’s gross!” Chelsea says with a disgusted look on her face.

“So? It’d be more entertaining to see you girls trying to catch them!” Justin jokes.

“Aw shut up, Justin!” I stick my tongue out at him.

“Hey, you guys smell something?” Trace asks as we all start to smell smoke.

“There’s smoke coming from over there!” Chelsea points as we see smoke rising above trees where we came from.

“Come on, guys! Let’s check it out!” Trace says as he and Justin starts to run to where the smoke’s coming from.

“You guys! This might not be a good idea!” I say as Chelsea and I run after them.

We run towards the smoke and realize this is the way towards home.

“Guys, what if that’s one of our houses on fire?!” Chelsea asks slowly.

“Don’t worry! It won’t be! That stuff doesn’t happen to us..” Justin says as we stop and see the home I live in go up in flames.

“MY HOUSE!” I scream as I run closer towards the front of the house and look up at the flames.

“Danielle! Don’t get too close!” Justin says as he rushes over next to me.

“BUT THAT’S MY HOUSE!” I continue to scream as I feel tears rising in my eyes.

“Kids!” Lynn says as she rushes across the street to us, “you shouldn’t be this close! Stand back! I called the fire department!”

We hear a truck speeding towards the house and I see my Dad jump out of his car frantically and run towards us.

“Thank God you’re okay!” he says as he hugs me tightly. “How did this happen?!”

“I don’t know, but I called the fire department and they’re on their way!” Lynn says.

“Wait! Where’s my wife!?” Dad asks.

“Oh my gosh! I don’t know! Last time I talked to her was on the phone a half-hour ago and she was baking dinner..” Lynn realizes as she gasps and looks at the house.

My Dad picks me up and kisses me on the cheek, “I love you, sweetheart. Mommy loves you, too. Never forget that, okay?”

He sets me down on the ground as I continue to cry silently, reaches into his pocket, and hands me a small, white box, “This is for you, Danielle. It’s your birthday present. I have to go now, sweetheart. I love you.”

I hold onto the box and watch my Dad run into the burning house as Lynn shouts for him to come back. I open the box to find a heart-shaped gold locket. I look on the back of the locket to find a message, “We love you, Danielle. Love, Mommy and Daddy.”

A few minutes later, I hear the fire truck’s horn come closer to the house as it stops. The firemen get out and quickly hook up the hoses to the hydrant across the street.

“Is anyone in there, ma’am?” A fireman asks Lynn.

“Yes! There’s a man and a woman!” Lynn says frantically.

“Alright, we’re going in!” the fireman says as he and a couple other firemen go into the house.

I look at the house that I grew up in as it continues to burn with hope in my eyes that I’ll see my parents walk out.

“Danielle,” Justin says, “no matter what happens, I’ll still be your friend.”

I nod slowly as I see the firemen run out of the house, “THE ROOF’S GONNA COLLAPSE! CONTINUE SPRAYING THE HOSES, BUT BE CAREFUL!”

The same fireman that talked to us earlier rushes over, “You all need to head across the street! We don’t want anyone getting hurt!”

“But what about my mommy and daddy?!” I ask frantically.

The fireman realizes that I’m the couple’s daughter and gives me a sympathetic smile as he whispers to Lynn what’s happened. She starts to cry, “C’mon kids! Let’s head back to the porch!”

We run towards Justin’s house and watch as my house collapses to the ground. I continue to cry as we hear Paul arriving home and run upstairs, “What in the world happened!?”

Lynn explains the situation as Paul stands back in shock and looks like he’s about to cry.

A half-hour later, the fire’s gone and there’s faint smoke rising from the ground. The fireman rushes toward us, “It should be done burning. If you see anything, call us and we’ll be out again. We did the best we could, we tried..I’m so sorry.”

I tug on Lynn’s shirt, “Lynn, where’s my mommy and daddy?”

Lynn looks over at Paul as she kneels down to my height, “Danielle…your mommy and daddy…aren’t here anymore. They’re in a better place now in Heaven..”

Immediately I know they’re dead and I start to cry hysterically, “NO! NO, DADDY WAS JUST HERE! THEY CAN’T BE DEAD! I DIDN’T GET TO SAY GOODBYE! NO!”

Lynn and Paul sit me on the steps, hug me tightly, and rock me back and forth. Chelsea and Trace’s parents rush over to see what had just happened and immediately start to cry.

As I continue to cry, I feel another pair of arms hold onto me. I look up to see Justin staring at me with tears in his eyes. We stay in that position for an hour before everyone goes home or heads inside. I stay on the steps and cry silently as I look at my house that’s been destroyed.


“I figured my father loved my mother that much that he gave his life just to try and save her so I wanted to do something that would resemble that. So I decided I wanted to plan weddings,” I finish my story as everyone looks at me in shock.

“My gosh, dear! I’m so sorry I brought it up! I had no idea!” Mrs. Diaz apologizes.

“Don’t worry about it! It’s easier to talk about it..it just still..hurts.”

“Well we’ll get off this subject and go onto something happier,” Mr. Diaz says as he begins to tell a joke.

I lean over to Bryan and whisper in his ear, “I’ll be right back.”

“You okay?” he asks worried.

“I’m fine..I just need..to think..” I say as I excuse myself and head toward the garden.

Sometimes it truly is hard to think about my parents and that day. I still have the locket; it’s in my jewelry box. Everyday, I pick it up and look at it and remember them. I look at the fountain in the middle of the garden as I start to cry quietly, yet smile at the part that I left out of the story.

A few minutes later, I hear the door open and close as someone sits next to me. I look over and see Justin looking at me, “I’m really sorry, Danielle. I wish there was something I could do to bring them back. Just know I’m here.”

“Okay..” I say as I cry louder. Justin leans over and hugs me tight for a good half-hour.


I faintly smile at the memory, grateful to have him there that day. I hear footsteps getting closer and turn around to see Justin walking over.

“You didn’t have to tell them that if this was gonna hurt you,” Justin says as he grabs hold of my hands. “You okay?”

“I’m fine..I just..it’s still hard, ya know? I don’t have parents. I don’t have a childhood home to head back to town and visit.”

“You have me..I’ll always be here, don’t forget that.”

“I won’t,” I say as I stare into his beautiful blue eyes.

“Hey..are you guys okay?” Bryan asks as he walks toward us.

“I’m fine...I’m better..” I say as I look at the two men standing before me.

“Do you want me to take you home?” Bryan asks.

“Yeah..that might be a good idea. I’m sorry, Justin,” I look over at him with a sad look.

“Don’t worry about it…I’ll come when this is all done to check up on you, okay?”

“Sure..well I’ll see you later then..”

“See ya later, Justin. I’m sorry about leaving, too,” Bryan says.

“It’s okay, just make sure she’s alright.”

“Will do. Goodnight!” Bryan waves as he leads me to his car and we leave the party.
----------
Song credit: Ordinary People--John Legend


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki