How Come, How Long? by Fionnuala


Number of reviews: 7
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


How Come, How Long


There was a girl I used to know
She was oh so beautiful
She’s not here anymore


There was almost complete silence in the church. The only sound was the quiet sobbing and slow footsteps, as people passed by the coffin. A tall, thin man stopped in front of it, gazing down at the young girl who lay so peacefully within. Tears welled up in his eyes as he looked at her. The woman he’d loved secretly for years was now gone. He wished that this were a fairy tale, that he could kiss her and she would wake up.

She had a college degree
Smart as anyone could be
She had so much to live for


He turned away from her and looked out into the congregation. His eyes scanned the crowd looking for the curly haired man that he had called a friend. The one that was supposed to have loved this girl. JC didn’t understand how anyone could not love her. Edrea had been such a wonderful person. She had been talented, beautiful and intelligent. She was everything that JC had ever wanted, but he’d never been able to tell her that. Not while she was with his best friend. The best friend who, few knew, was responsible for her death. The best friend who didn’t even have the decency now to show up for her funeral.

But she fell in love
With the wrong kind of man
He abused her love
And treated her so bad
There was not enough education in her world
That could save the life of this little girl


Edrea looked out the window as Justin’s car rolled away. Tears stung her eyes as she slid down to floor. She could already feel her eye swelling up, though the wound was fresh. How had she let it come to this? How had she become so pathetic? He hurt her time and time again, but she still couldn’t leave. He hit her, forced her to do things she didn’t want to do, and cheated on her. But she still stayed with him. She loved him. So many times she’d asked other people what they thought she should do. “Talk to him,” they’d said. “Tell him how you feel.” How could she talk to him when every time she said something he didn’t like, he’d hit her? And any time she tried to tell him how she felt, he’d just start talking about how much he loved her and how beautiful she was. What was she supposed to say to that?
Edrea sighed and stood up. She had to get out. Even if it was only for a little while. Justin wouldn’t be home for at least an hour. She grabbed her coat and her keys and went for a walk.

How come, how long
It’s not right, it’s so wrong
Do we let it just go on?
Turn our backs and carry on?
Wake up, for it’s too late
Right now, it can’t wait
She won’t have a second try
Open up your hearts as well as your eyes


JC glanced out his window, spotting a familiar figure walking down the street. How he’d been able to tell it was her was beyond him, the rain was nearly blinding. He slowed down and pulled the car closer to her. She sped up, trying to put more space in between her and the car.
JC rolled down his window. “Edrea! Edrea, it’s okay, it’s me!”
She stopped and looked at him, a smile spreading across her face. “Oh god, JC, you scared me!”
He smiled. “I’m sorry. Do you need a ride?”
“Actually, I was just taking a walk, but a ride would be great.” She opened the passenger side and got in the car, smiling at him. “Thanks.”
“Do you want me to take you home?”
“No,” she replied quickly. “I mean, could we just drive around for a while? If that’s okay with you of course.”
“Yeah, sure,” he replied, uncertainly. “Is everything okay at home? With you and Justin, I mean.”
She forced a smile. “Yeah, of course,” she lied.

She tried to give a cry for help
She even blamed things on herself
But no one came to her aid
Nothing was wrong, far as we could tell
That’s what we’d like to tell ourselves
But, no it wasn’t that way


JC pulled up to the curb in front of Justin’s house and turned to face Edrea. They’d been driving for about an hour and talking about everything, but there was something that had been bothering him.
“What happened to your eye?” he questioned, knowing full well what the answer was.
Edrea stared at the floor. “Oh, I just ran into a door. I’m such a klutz, you wouldn’t believe it.”
He didn’t believe it. This wasn’t the first time he’d seen her with a black eye. He was just surprised that she hadn’t run out of ways to explain them away. “Oh,” he replied. “Silly you.” It was obvious he knew she was lying.
She looked at him, tears forming in her eyes. “It’s not what you think, JC. It’s just…I do stupid things sometimes and make him mad and he loses his temper, but I promise it isn’t his fault.” Edrea didn’t know why she was lying to him. She knew it wasn’t her fault at all, but she felt a need to protect Justin.
“I thought you said you ran into a door.”
“Right,” she said, nodding. “Do you think I should leave him?” Please say yes, she prayed. Please.
“I can’t make that decision for you, Ed. Only you know what’s right for you.”
She nodded and opened the door, getting out. “Well, good-night, JC. Thanks for the ride.”
“Good-night.”
He watched her walk away, but she suddenly turned around and walked back to his car, opening the door and sitting back down.
“What are you-“ he began, but was cut off by her lips pressing against his own.
She pulled away quickly, as if shocked by her own actions. “I’m sorry,” she whispered.
“It’s okay,” he replied, seeming stunned.
“Tell me to leave him. Please, just tell me to leave him and I will.”
He shook his head sadly. “I can’t do that. It has to be your decision.”

I on occasion met that guy
He stirred up bad feelings deep inside
Something about it wasn’t right
The way he proves himself a man
By beating his woman with his hands
Oh how I wish she’d seen the light


“Justin, please, stop!” Edrea pleaded through her tears.
“Then tell me what the hell you were doing with my best friend!” he yelled at her.
“Nothing! Nothing, I swear it! He just gave me a ride home.”
“Don’t lie to me!” Justin hit her across the face, and she stumbled backwards.
“I’m not lying! I didn’t do anything wrong. Please, just-“
He cut her off, grabbing her around the neck. “Edrea, I have given you everything. A house, food, clothes, anything you wanted “ I got it for you. And this is how you repay me? By fucking my best friend?” He let her go and she fell to the floor, crying uncontrollably.
Edrea had been beaten before, but it had never been this bad. Nothing she said would satisfy Justin. Any time she opened her mouth, it would result in another slap or punch. She didn’t know what to do. She sat on the floor, trying to control her tears. “I didn’t do anything,” she whispered.
“You’re pathetic,” he spat at her, giving her a sharp kick.
She looked up at him and for the first time in her life, she felt like fighting back. She felt like hitting him and showing him what it felt like to have someone abuse you in that way. Instead, she just stood up and walked out of the room.
“Where do you think you’re going?” he yelled, following her. “We aren’t done talking about this yet.”
“I’m done. Done talking, done being taken advantage of,” she replied, her chest still heaving with sobs. “I’m leaving.”
“Oh, no you’re not,” he replied, grabbing her arm as they reached the top of the stairs.
“Let go of me,” she said softly.
“No.”
“Let go of me right now, Justin.”
“I’m not letting go.”
She struggled to get away from him, but it was no use. He was much too strong for her.
“Fine!” he finally spat. “Get out of here and don’t ever come back.” He let go of her arms, giving her a hard shove. She lost her balance and fell backwards down the stairs, letting out a loud scream.
Justin’s eyes widened as he saw her hit the ground at the bottom. She didn’t move and he ran down after her. “Baby, are you okay?” he asked, kneeling next to her. She still didn’t move. “Oh no. Edrea, wake up. Please wake up. Baby, I’m sorry for everything. Please, just…say something. Please…” But she didn’t respond. And she never woke up.

So she fell in love
With the wrong kind of man
And she paid with her life
For loving that man




© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki