One Sweet Day by Alicia


Number of reviews: 101
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter 6

KNOCK. KNOCK. THUNDER. KNOCK.

Serena opened the door to a soaking wet Christi, who held a comfortably covered up Kaci in her car seat, "Come on in, baby, before you catch something."

Christi walked into her childhood home, which she felt like a stranger in. It seemed larger somehow. Maybe that's because it is. Hers and Jordan's house was nice but was nothing compared to Jessi's and her parents'. Ever since her father had extended the family's restaurant chain of Araceli's, they had been livin' it up. She handed Kaci to her mother so she could take off her wet coat and sneakers.

Feeling dirty in her clothes, Christi told her mother she needed a nice shower and asked her to look after Kaci for her as she did so. Making her way to the nearest bathroom with a shower in it, she took in her new surroundings. She went straight through the foyer, around the recently extended dining room, up the one step into the kitchen, around the marbled island, past the family room, and into the guest bathroom. She thought, "When did we get that island? Better yet, where did that family room come from?"

Stripping out of her clothes and into her waterfall of nice hot water, Christi began to relax, thinking, "Home sweet home, where no one can hurt me or Kaci. No more voices. No more Jordan. Speaking of Jordan, note to self: call daddy's lawyer." She enjoyed the rest of her shower in peace and quiet. After a good hour in the shower, she wrapped a towel around her body and another one around her wet hair.

Walking past the family room, she found just who she was looking for but didn't want interrupt the sight before her. She found her mother entertaining her almost two-month-old baby. "Mama?"

Noticing another person in the room, Serena looked up from Kaci, only to see her only daughter dressed in just a towel.

"I put your bags in the guest bedroom for now. I figured you didn't want to go all the way upstairs just to change, my lazy child," she smiled, knowing she was right.

"Thanks."

With that, Christi walked into the guest bedroom, a familiar room, in between the family room and the bathroom that she just exited. In the guest bedroom, a twin-size bed laid up against the side wall, two windows allow for sunlight to brighten the room during the day, a wooden dresser and bookcase is propped up against the wall opposing the bed, and all the while, the closet door appears by the bedside drawer, also wood. The autumn wallpaper beholds brown, red, yellow, and orange leaves falling from a tall willow tree, with ceramic molding causing it to look real in the far left corner of the room.

Looking back to the bed, Christi reaches for her bag and begins to get dressed. She heads to the family room, dressed in a form-fitting black hooded sleeveless top, a comfy pair of sweatpants with black and white zigzagging vertical lines, and black fuzzy slippers.

"I'll be up in my room if you need me. That is, unless I don't have one anymore," she joked from the doorway of the family room.

"Don't worry. It's still there. Up the stairs you saw in the foyer and to your immediate right, your door awaits, angel."

"It hasn't been that long you know."

"You'll see what I'm talking about when you get up there. Now, get."

Off she went, in search for her old room. Reaching the top of the stairs she understood what her mother was trying to tell her. Across from her room, her parents had built another room and next to it, a gameroom. With her anticipation to see what they had done to her room, Christi turned to her door and opened it.

Surprisingly, nothing had changed or was seemed to be touched since she moved out. Something she wishes she never had done, especially just so she could marry Jordan. Her room still gave off that calming ocean feel whenever she walked into it. The teal-colored walls, white polished furniture, fancy white fan, teal and silver coated phone, endless walk-in closet, balcony over seeing the basketball court to the side of their property, and a top of the line entertainment system contributed to her personal sanctuary. Bevel-cut mats consisting of her photography covered her walls, along with her senior class panoramic and the porcelain angels posted up on her white ceramic flowered shelves. Her big Sylvester stuffed animal lay next to her bed, the one thing that comforted her more than anything. Her queen-sized waterbed buried in comforters, sheets, and pillows.

Christi lazily threw her body down onto the bed and let out a huge sigh. Yep, nothing has changed. She had always been able to lose herself in the bed and still could. After laying there for a good ten minutes, Christi heard a knock on her door.

Christi looked to the door, to see it open and her mother appear through the door.

"Christi, I came to see if you want to talk."

Christi smiled at her mother's concern, the same concern she has learned to possess for Kaci, and carefully threw her legs over the side of her bed so she could position herself to sit upright. Serena walked into Christi's bathroom and retrieved the objects she was looking for. Once she returned back into the room, Christi eyed her skeptically. Her mother simply smiled and lifted the brush and comb in her hand and instructed for Christi to turn around. Christi did as told and sat with her back toward her mother at the edge of the bed. Serena stood behind her and began to detangle her damp hair with the comb.

"Thanks for keeping my room the same. I've missed it."

"We know how much you loved it. We wouldn't dare touch it. Christi?"

"Huh, mama?"

Serena replaced the comb with the brush. The brittles soothed her hair and scalp in a stroking motion.

"What's going on with you? You sounded a little odd on the phone."

"I had another nightmare, mama. They won't stop. I think I'm going crazy. It's not just nightmares, either. Tonight, I woke up and felt like someone was strangling me, but the weird part is that no one was. I'm crazy, mama."

"Listen to me. You're not crazy. You're not," she stopped brushing Christi's hair, turned Christi around, and lifted Christi's face so their eyes could meet.

"But I am. I have nightmares, hear voices, and feel like someone is haunting me."

Sitting next to her on her bed, Serena pulled Christi's head to rest on her shoulder and comforted her, "I don't think you're crazy, angel, but maybe we should have you looked at by your doctor. Just to be on the safe side."

Christi changed the subject, "Where's daddy?"

"Sleeping. It is three in the morning, you know."

"I guess it is. Sorry about waking you."

"I'm glad you did. I feel better knowing that you are home with us and not alone."

"Me, too. Hey, can you give me a tour of the place? It's changed a lot in four years. That is if you're not too tired?"

Serena instructed, "For those on board the Fuentes train, the tour starts in ten minutes after a quick session for food."

Christi chuckled at her mother's antics and walked after her down the stairs to the kitchen. "Man, its really good to be home," she thought.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mama S. Do you happen to know where Christi is? I've been calling her hotel room all morning and afternoon and she hasn't answered. She's not answering her cell phone either," Jessi rushed out.

"Calm down, Jessi. She went out for a run about an hour ago with her father. They should be back any time now."

Jessi released a sigh of relief, "Thanks, Mrs. Fuentes. Can you have her call me back as soon as she gets in."

"Hold on a second, Jessi." Serena heard the front door open and handed the phone to her daughter.

A breathless Christi answered, "Hello?"

"Christi?"

"Yeah, Jessi, what's up?"

"Chica, I've been calling you. Where have you been? And how come you haven't been answering the phone?"

"Last night I got the nightmare of all nightmares and started feeling and seeing things. So, I decided to stay with my parents until you got back."

"Oh. You just had us worried."

"Okay. But`us'? Who's the `us'?"

"Justin, JC, and myself."

"Geez, Jessi, call in the cavalry why don't ya? I feel the love, but I could have been out shopping, girl,for all you knew." Sarcasm oozing with every word Christi spoke.

Jessi replied, "You weren't even answering your cell phone."

"Whatever. So, what's so important that it couldn't wait until you return tomorrow?"

"Oh, nothing. I was just going to tell you that you and I are both going on vacation, but since that can wait…." Jessi trailed off casually, knowing the suspense she just left Christi in.

"You are so not leaving me hanging on that one. Spill it, Jessi."

"I rather not. It can wait until tomorrow. Remember?"

Christ changed the subject, "So how's everything in California and loverboy?"

"Caliente. Both, might I add. But we both know that JC and me are just friends and that's how its gonna stay. Don't go trying anything either, Christi."

"Why?" She whined.

"For the hundredth time already, he's not my type. It wouldn't work."

"What's that supposed to mean? I see the way you look at him. Plus, he's caliente. Remember?

"It's supposed to mean that I usually go for guys that don't expect too much in a relationship and he's the commitment type. It would ruin what we have now anyways."

"How do you even know he's like that?"

"I just do by hearing all about his most recent ex."

"Girl, please tell me you aren't seriously thinking that."

Christi continued when all she heard was silence on the other end, "You guys go clubbin' all the time and that is what you get from him dancin' up on different girls each night. And are you seriously telling me that you don't wish that you were them?"

There was another silence that encouraged Christi to continue on with her advice, "Jessi, come on. Just give into him already. He wants you just as bad as you do him so just give up your guard."

"But what if he doesn't want to be more than friends?"

Christi was beginning to grow annoyed with Jessi's lame ass excuses, "You seem to forget that its you he called that day after Marci died and confided in. It's you that he calls all the time. It's you who stayed in his hotel suite with him because he didn't want you at that house of yours. It's also you who he flew out to LA to keep him company. Now, what does that say to you?"

"Correction. I bought my own plane ticket to LA."

"Same difference. It was still his idea."

"Well, maybe we want to just keep our relationship at the friends level. Have you thought of that?"

"Give me a break."

"Okay, okay, okay. If I talk to him about it would you get off my back?"

"Yes." Jessi could just imagine her friend's smirk of victory.

"You are too much, you know that?"

"Yep. Oh and before I forget to tell you, I finally go to talk to my lawyer in two days."

"Do you want me to come with you for support?"

"Yeah." Christi sniffed her armpits and realized it was her stench was stinking the vanilla scent of her parents' living room. "I'd hate to leave you hanging, but I stink."

Jessi chuckled, "Well, I'll let you go shower. Put your mom back on the phone for me will ya?"

"Okay. Hold on." Christi handed the phone to Serena and headed upstairs to shower.

"Jessi?"

"Hi, Mama S. I was wondering if you and Fergie put the finishing touches on the nursery already."

"Yes. But I must say she's taken quite a liking to this house since she's been home."

"Trust me. Once she lays her eyes on it, she'll be putty in my hands. I just can't wait to get back tomorrow to show her."

"Well, let's hope so. Is that all you needed to know?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'll see to tomorrow then."

"Bye."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening the door to the nursery, Christi walked in wide-eyed and was amazed at the sight before her. "Wow." She mirrored her actions she did the first time she had ever laid a foot into the then white spacious room. The exception this time was that the carpet is pink.

The room was now a glittery pale pink with tall angels painted on the four corners. The angels had shadows of glittery pink on their wings. The room was furnished in white baby furniture, such as a crib and rocking chair set from IKEA. The window, looking out onto the pool area in the backyard, was now framed with curtains, which were a slightly darker shade of pink than the walls. To top it off, the lyrics of Kaci's song, the one Justin and JC sung to her that day in the hospital nursery, was painted on the back of her door.

"I take it you like it?"

Christi nodded at Jessi's question, and Jessi went on to explain to her every detail and how it came about. "The nursery's themed around the color pink because she's a girl, which speaks for itself. Justin and JC added the lyrics as their special little contribution to the room. Chris and your dad bought all the furniture. Adriana and I planned and paid for everything, which happens to be stored away in the closet. It's a closet full of enough toys, stuffed animals, and baby clothes to last a lifetime. And your touch is the angels. I figured since you're always calling her your angel the angels would be an appropriate touch as your contribution, especially since it was a surprise and all. Now, do you even want to know who did the angels?"

Focusing on an angel in one of the corners, she answered, "Mama."

Christi turned to her mother and asked, "You did this for me, mama?"

Serena simply nodded her head.

"But, what about your hand?"

"My hands have been healed for a while now. This is just the first time I painted since the accident. Plus, Stacy flew out and helped. She couldn't be here today with the band still being on tour and everything."

At the mention of Stacy, Christi was flabbergasted. Stacy and Christi were inseparable before she joined Wild Orchid. After Wild Orchid, they still didn't see each other much. When she joined BEP, little had changed since their success, opening act for the Justified/Stripped Tour, and their own tour. Christi was the one to give Stacy the nickname ‘Fergie' due to an inside joke that went all they way back to when they were in junior high. For some reason, everyone seemed to call her that once they picked up on it from Christi. They didn't even know the joke behind it. Her mother, however, is one of the few that still calls her `Stacy' to this day.

"Fergie helped? Wow! I haven't spoken to her in a long time."

She was taking in all that she could. She looked to each of the individuals in the room with her. From her understanding, these four loved ones all along with a few others had contributed in creating something special for her little girl. She was truly blessed.

One thing disturbed her, though. She had noticed a missing face. A face she hadn't seen in two months. Pulling out her cell phone, she caused four pairs of wondering eyes to focus on her.

"Hello?"

"Courtney, hey! What are you doing right now?"

Courtney hesitantly answered, "Watching TV. Why?"

Christi wondered why her cousin hadn't been included in the surprise. That was until she heard a voice in the background call Courtney his "baby". A voice she knew from anywhere. That's when it hit her. Jordan and Courtney. All Christi saw was red.




© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki