Shines in the Darkness by Leeann


Number of reviews: 0
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


"Come on, we need to get this done." Jamie said as he got after two of his team members one more time.

"Do I have to seperate you two?" Leeann smiled at the two.

"She started it." Ashley said pointing to Robin.

"No, she did." Robin pointed back at Ashley.

"I don't care who started it, both of you end it." Jamie shook his head.

"Sorry." Ashley and Robin both said at the same time.

This caused laughing among the group, something that was never lacking. This was the strangest most non-conservative ministry team ever. It was made up of three girls and one guy. Robin the original team member and the glorified "Teckie", in other words she was in charge of the website. Leeann, the "Master Barista" one in charge of making drinks behind the bar, and training others on how to make drinks. Now don't be thinking alcoholic drinks, think coffee house drinks i.e mochas, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. Ashley, the newest member of the team, the "Padewan Barista", she learned from the Master Barista and was pretty much a master in her own right, but still preferred to be the "Padewan". Ashley was also the creator of the atmosphere, the candle gal, she loved arranging the candles at the start of a night. And then there was Jamie, their "Earthly Leader Dude" he was the ministry leader, he was also studying to be a pastor and had just recently passed his first test making him an exhorter--a pastor in training. He was considered a pastor but couldn't perform any funerals or marriages.

"So we're a month behind on our payments, we need to think about having another fund raiser." Jamie said after he'd had the attention of everyone.

"What kind of fundraiser?" Robin asked.

"I'm not sure yet. That's why I'm bringing it up now." Jamie answered.

"How much are we behind?" Ashley questioned.

"Well, we were supposed to send in another $1,000 dollar payment for each of us, so we're about four thousand behind. We need to raise some serious money." Jamie said getting serious. "Do any of you have any suggestions?"

The girls remained quiet as they sat and thought about it for a few minutes.

"I have something on my heart I need to say. I'm feeling that we need to set aside a day to fundraise, then spend the whole day praying and reading and fellowshiping in front of the altar." Robin said after she couldn't hold it in any longer.

Jamie nodded and sat back in his chair, "I agree, I think that's exactly what we need to do. I've been feeling it in my heart all week. We need to be devoting our time to preparing ourself for ministry not doing a bunch of fundraising. I believe that if we focus on God, and focus on getting prepared, he'll provide the funds we need to make all our payments on time and enough to cover everything else we need."

"That sounds good." Leeann nodded.

"Good one Robin." Ashley said putting her hand out to high five.

"Hey, it wasn't me." Robin shrugged and lifted her eyes to the sky.

"Ain't that the truth." Leeann smiled and inhaled deeply.

The creature in the corner of the room watched this going on between the team and cried out when he heard what they were talking about. Oh this was not good, the master was not going to be happy with this at all. He had to stop it, he had to regain his edge on the group. If they kept this up, they're were going to reach they're full potential. He put his sinister glare on one of the girls, his eyes squinted, yes she would be the perfect target.

His only problem would be to get past the two giants standing behind her, guarding her. He feared their power, but he knew she would probably let her guard down.The two men standing behind her just stared straight ahead and listened to what the leader was saying.

He smiled when he saw who came in the door behind someone who had walked into the room.

"Hey guys am I interrupting?" Ben asked standing just in the door.

Umaia--or distraction--had himself latched onto Ben and let go once he was in the room. He snarled at the other creature who was there, and his eyes darted around and found something else he could use to distract the group.

"Kind of." Jamie said looking up at him.

"Sorry, I'll leave." Ben said turning around.

"See ya bud." Jamie called out.

After Ben left, Umaia tried to latch onto Ashley, but once he touched her, he was thrown back against the wall, her mind was protected. He again tried to attack Ashley, but again was denied. He tried the same with Robin and Leeann, but failed with both of them. Both of their minds were protected against distraction. He let out a growl then flew back out the door leaving a cloud of sulfur behind him.

The creature that remained rolled his eyes, it was up to him. He'd wait until the opportune moment, then make his move.

"So when do you guys have available to do this fundraiser?" Jamie asked looking at the planner in front of him.

"I'm open Saturday." Leeann offered.

"Me too." Robin nodded.

"Someone took my shift so I don't have to work." Ashley agreed.

"Okay, so how about we meet here on Saturday morning at ten. We'll come in here and spend time in God's presence together and by ourselves, and maybe we can get Trav in here to pray over us as well." Jamie suggested.

"That would be good." Robin agreed.

"Well, that pretty much wraps everything up then, I'd like to remind everyone of this passage of scripture. It gets me everytime. Especially in dealing with our ministry and where we're going with this trip."

Jamie opened up his bible and turned to the place he had marked. "A Light shines in the darkness, but the darkness did not overcome it.--John 1:5."

"Leeann, you wanna close us up in prayer?" Jamie said before bowing his head.

"Heavenly Father I thank you for everything you've done for us, and everything that you're doing with this ministry. Father I pray for this mission trip, I pray that Your Spirit would be with us every step of the way and I pray that Your spirit would be working on the hearts of the people we're going to be working with. I also pray, Lord, that You'll bless everyone else going on this trip, as it's not just us, but people from all over. Be with us as we go into bible study and then go our seperate ways. We ask these things in Your Son's Name, Amen."

"Lucky." Jamie said with a smile on his face.

"We still need to watch that movie." Robin laughed.

"I know, it still looks stupid." Leeann giggled.

The movie they're referring to is Napoleon Dynamite. It had become the unofficial movie of Jacob's Well, Jamie was a wee obsessed with it, and said Lucky all the time. Last Friday night they'd started watching it at the Well, but Jamie turned it off as it had no sound and he "didn't want to ruin it for them" because they hadn't seen it.

"Are you staying for bible study?" Leeann asked Robin as Jamie went out to get the bar area ready.

"I think so." Robin nodded.

"Lucky."

Robin just laughed and shook her head. She offered Leeann her elbow and they walked out into the main area of Jacob's Well.

Jacob's Well was a nightclub/coffee house ministry. Every Friday night they opened up for kids to come and hang out. They ministered to all kinds of people. The ministry wasn't the "in your face preachy" kind that pushed people away. Instead it was one of love, and acceptance, showing the kids that came that they were important. They were loved and cared about. They listened to christian music, but that was the only real indication that it was a christian place.

The Ministry team was taking a mission trip to Durban, South Africa to bring supplies to a relief camp outside the city. They were going to be helping with a youth camp type thing, as well as helping serve food at the center as well as a few other places around the town, and holding services for any of the locals that wanted to come. Their point of contact in Durban was the local pastor. Pastor Jason Hines, he'd been in Durban for over five years bringing the message to those who wanted to listen, and he also housed people who brought supplies. Durban was a tourist spot, but nobody gave a second glance to what the real issues were. The poverty that plagued South Africa.

This was Jamie and Robin's second mission trip, but the first for Leeann and Ashley. They were excited, yet a little nervous. Leeann used to be a really shy girl who kept to herself all the time. Thankfully she'd grown out of that, with the help of her friends and the secure place of Jacob's Well to bloom.

Cornelious and Daemeon stood behind Robin and watched the creature that was still lurking around. They knew what was going on as they'd been briefed on the whole situation. Which was why they were there in the first place. They were watching over the whole team, but Robin in particular. There was going to be a big spiritual battle in the future that they needed to be prepared for, and Cornelious and Daemeon were sent to make sure they were all prepared for it.

"You're not going to have her forever." the creature snarled at them.

"Whatever you say Fuine. You have no control here." Cornelious stated.

"I am Fuine--shadow. I'm always here." Fuine glared.

The two men decided to ignore Fuine, which made him even more angry.

"This isn't finished." Fuine hollered before flying away in a huff.

"Did you guys see that?" Leeann asked seeing something move out of the corner of her eye.

"See what?" Robin asked.

"I don't know, I thought I saw something." Leeann answered looking back one more time.

"Yeah, I see things moving all the time." Robin shrugged.

"Will you go pray with me?" Leeann said suddenly.

"What's wrong?" Robin asked looking at her friend with concern.

"Nothing, I just got this sudden urge to pray." Leeann answered as she made her way to the altar.

Robin followed Leeann to the altar and stood beside her.

"Heavenly Father, please bring peace to this place. Send Your angels to cover every entrance, let Your spirit be flooding in this place. I pray that everyone who comes in here will be touched. Lord, I pray for Robin," Leeann faced Robin and put her hands on her shoulders then continued, "I pray that you would lift her up. I pray that you would protect her, I pray that You would reveal Yourself to her, help her grow in You. Show her what You would have her do with her life. Lord strengthen her as she goes back home."

Robin opened her eyes and looked at Leeann with tears in her eyes, "Thank you Leeann, I feel so much better. I never told you this, but I've been feeling agitated all day. Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better."

"You're welcome." Leeann said hugging her friend.

Cornelious and Daemeon welcomed they're friends Sere--peace, and Alasse--joy. They now stood behind Leeann, who was praying over Robin who was now kneeling in front of the altar praying. They stood over her and placed their hands on her and added their prayers to hers as they went up to heaven.

Jamie watched part of his team praying at the altar and his soul started praying for them. He was making Ed a drink and focused on what he was saying.

"How's the fundraising coming along?" Ed asked.

"We're about a month behind and our last payment was for four thousand. We're doing something different for fundraising this time. We're going to devote Saturday to it, but instead we're going to come here to pray, read, fellowship, and just spend time preparing ourselves for this. We're going to see if we can't get Trav to come and pray for us too." Jamie said turning around pausing his drink making.

"Hey, me and Ryan can come pray for you too." Ed offered.

Ed and Ryan were the elders of the church, and Trav was the pastor. The whole church was very non-traditional and informal. Almost everyone called they're pastor by his first name, and everyone who came to the church were welcome.

"That would be awesome." Jamie agreed.

Jamie and Ed continued to talk for a few more seconds before his drink was finished then Jamie handed it to him, and Ed went out to the sanctuary for the Leadership Classes that were going on.

Umaia was back, this time he was trying to get to Ashley so she'd disturb the two at the altar.

"We need some music." Ashley thought to herself.

She walked back to the soundroom and turned on some Project 86, a hard rock band with a good growl now and again.

Daemeon turned to look and sure enough, Umaia had attached itself to Ashley and was feeding her thoughts. Knowing there was nothing he could do at that moment, he watched him out of the corner of his eye. He reached out and touched Robin, who by now was speaking in tongues. She immediately stood compeltely still. She waited for a few moments, before raising her hands again and thanked the Lord.

"Ashley, can you come here please?" Robin asked.

"Sure, what do you want?" she said coming over.

"Can I pray over you?" Robin questioned.

Before Ashley could answer Jamie announced it was time to start the bible study. Leeann got up and went to sit behind the bar, while Ben, Robin, Ashley, Jill, and a few others sat on the other side. Ashley sat across from Leeann, a candle between the two.

During the whole time, Ashley focused her attention to the flame, which she'd dubbed "the mating dance of the flame." She half payed attention, but her mind was for some reason distracted.

"Quit that." Robin said when Ashley started dipping her finger in the wax.

Soon after Ashley started, Leeann followed her lead and started playing with the wax. They were both still paying attention somewhat, but they're fascination was with the candle.

"Would you two knock it off?" Robin said exasparated.

"Sorry." Leeann said turning her attention back to Jamie and the study at hand.

Within minutes, Ashley was paying attention too and Umaia was sulking again. He used to be able to control her all day. She was getting too strong, they were all getting too strong. They were learning too much, they were learning who they were in Christ. Like Fuine, he knew the master wasn't going to be happy at the latest developments.

He sulked off to have a chat with Fuine to see what he'd learned.

"They're trying really hard." Cornelious said to Daemeon.

"I know, but this is just the beginning. I'm not sure if they're going to be able to handle it." Daemeon said watching the team.

"They'll be able to handle it. They have to. They've been preparing for this for almost five months."

"You're right. I think they're going to kick it up." Daemeon stated, looking at the place where Umaia had just left..

"Yeah, you're definitely right about that. Especially on Saturday, when the teamsgoing to be here all day."

"We'll just have to wait and see what happens." Daemeon said turning his attention back to the bible study that was winding down.

The study lasted another five minutes then Jamie closed it up and they all got up and started shutting everything down. "Do you guys want to go to my house to watch a movie?" Ashley asked Leeann and Robin.

"Where do you live?" Robin asked.

"In the country." Ashley answered.

"I know where she lives, if you want to go, I'll ride with you. I can't drive myself because my tail light is out and the cops like to pull me over." Leeann offered.

"Sure, I just have to stop at home and get my cell phone." Robin nodded.

"All right, I'll see you there." Ashley said walking outside.

Robin and Leeann stopped off at Robin's to get her cellphone then headed to Ashley's where they watched Pirates of the Caribbean. They talked for about an hour after it was over, about everything from the trip, to Orlando Bloom, to Nsync. Robin and Leeann finally left after they couldn't stop yawning.

Robin dropped Leeann off at the church where her car was then went home and went to bed. She was asleep before she even realized she was in bed.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki