A View From Between by Fionnuala


Number of reviews: 40
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter Seven

A bolt of lightning flashed in the sky as 16-year-old Justin Timberlake ran up his next-door neighbors’ driveway, his jacket pulled over his in an attempt to shield himself from the rain. As he approached the house, he saw the reason for his visit sitting on the front porch, her nose buried in a book. “You know, Rach, you’re the only person I know who comes out on the porch to read in the middle of a thunderstorm,” he stated with a laugh as he arrived at the porch and sat down beside her.

“I like to be different,” Rachael replied, not looking up from her book. “And I’m still perfectly dry, which I’m sure is much more than you can say for yourself, dork.” She finally glanced up at him, an ‘I’m-so-much-better-than-you’ smirk spreading across her features.

Justin laughed, running a hand through his curls, which were indeed wet despite his attempts to shield himself from the rain on his way over. “True,” he conceded simply.

“So, for what reason did you feel the need to fight the elements to come see me?” Rachael questioned, punching him playfully in the arm. Justin shrugged.

“I don’t know. Just felt like coming to talk to you.”

“And you couldn’t wait for it to stop pouring first? Dude, I know I’m awesome and everything, but there’s got to be more to it than that.”

“Well, you know…I’m leaving again tomorrow. Going back to Europe to tour.”

Rachael nodded, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear and shifting her gaze back to her book. “I know.”

“Hey, I’m a genius!” Justin exclaimed suddenly.

Rachael raised an eyebrow. “News to me. Explain yourself.”

“Why don’t you come with me? Just for a couple of weeks! It would be awesome!” His entire face lit up and he was looking at her with such hope in his eyes that Rachael almost didn’t want to be the one to bring him back down to reality.

“You forget that I have school. Not everyone can go gallivanting around the globe, you know.”

“Oh, right,” Justin replied, a frown replacing his smile as folded his arms on top of his legs and leaned his chin on them.

“I’m sorry. You know I would if I could. Maybe during spring break, eh?”

He nodded. “This just majorly sucks. I feel so alone sometimes when I’m out there, you know?”

Rachael nodded, rubbing his back sympathetically before returning to her book. “Yes I do.”


***

Rachael rubbed her temples, trying to rid herself of the headache she felt coming on. It was around noon on the day after Thanksgiving and she’d been sitting in her mother’s living room for the past two hours and doing homework. Her mother and Aunt Gwen had gone to the mall to catch all the After Thanksgiving Sales and her cousins were all still asleep, so Rachael had figured this was probably the best time to do all the Thanksgiving weekend homework and studying she needed to do. She was in the midst of reading Measure for Measure for her Shakespeare class when there was a loud knock on the front door. “Who are you?” she called in response, not wanting to get up and answer the door as it would disturb her thoroughly comfortable position on the couch.

“It’s me!” Justin’s voice came from the other side.

“Door’s open,” Rachael told him. In Millington, people rarely locked their front doors. She looked up as the door swung open and Justin entered the house, closely followed by Trace.

“Hey, baby!” he greeted her, plopping down next to her on the couch as she sat up to make room for him.

“Hey, dork,” she replied with a smile. “Hey, Trace.”

“Yo,” Trace said with a wave, settling down next to Justin. Justin had called Trace around ten o’clock that morning to talk to him about what had happened between Justin and Rachael the night before. His friend had come over immediately and the two men had spent most of the morning discussing the situation and playing X Box. As a result, Justin was feeling much better about things and quite ready to hang out with Rachael just like he used to.

“Cheeto?” Rachael offered to her visitors and they both shook their heads in response. She shrugged and popped a few in her mouth. “Your loss. So what’s up?” she questioned, looking at the two men expectantly. Since Justin had so few days off, it was hardly like him to be up before 1 or 2 o’clock in the afternoon, let alone sitting on her couch and in such a chipper mood by noon.

“Well, we’re heading back to LA on a flight tonight, so we were hoping we could hang with you today,” Justin told her hopefully. “And you better say yes, because I have a huge surprise for you

Rachael raised her eyebrows curiously. “A surprise? What do you two know about my feelings on surprises?”

“You hate them,” the two in question chorused in unison.

“And yet here you sit trying to drag me away from my studies by offering me a surprise? Sometimes I have to question your mental health.”

“Yeah, but it’s a really good surprise. You’ll like it,” Justin assured her, nodding his head emphatically for emphasis.

“You will,” Trace agreed.

“That is highly improbable,” Rachael stated skeptically.

“Come on, Rach. I promise you will like this surprise. Don’t you trust me?” Justin pleaded.

“Nope,” she replied, giving him a sickly sweet grin.

“That hurts me. Deep, deep, deep, deep inside.”

“Where?” Rachael joked and stuck her tongue out at him. “Okay, fine, I’ll hang out with you and let you show me your little surprise. But I’m warning you, Timberlake. If I do not, in fact, like this surprise, then I will…punch Trace in the nose.”

“Hey!” Trace protested. “I’m not even really involved in the surprise. I only helped a little.”

“Fine by me,” Justin spoke over him with a grin. “Now go put on some clothes so we can leave,” he added, gesturing to the hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants that Rachael wore.

“’Go put on some clothes?’ What am I, naked?” As soon as she said this, mischievous smiles spread across the faces of her two friends and she rolled her eyes in disgust. “I don’t even want to what you two pervs are thinking,” she stated and jumped up off the couch, heading into her room to change her clothes.

***

Rachael raised an eyebrow as she, Justin, and Trace pulled up in front of a small country restaurant in downtown Millington called Ma’s Pancake House. It was a restaurant they had all frequented as children, mostly for Sunday breakfasts and birthday dinners. Their parents had never been big fans of the place, but when they were little, Justin and Rachael used to think the coolest thing one could do on their birthday would be to go out and have pancakes for dinner. “This is the surprise?” Rachael questioned skeptically. “Not that I don’t love this place, but it seems kind of anti-climactic, don’t you think?”

Justin laughed and shook his head. “It’s not the restaurant itself that’s the surprise, it’s what’s inside the restaurant.”

Rachael stared at him blankly. “Pancakes?”

“Just come on,” he sighed, opening his door and getting out of the car. Rachael and Trace followed suit. For once, the trio was not being accompanied by security. Most of the time when Justin was at home and visiting places like this, they were inhabited entirely by people he had known his whole life and there was no need for security. They did have the occasional mishap with fans, but on the whole it was a pretty safe place for him to be. “Okay, close your eyes,” Justin ordered as they approached the entrance of the restaurant. Rachael rolled her eyes and muttered a nearly inaudible, “I hate you,” but complied. Justin took her by the hand and led her through the door, reminding her to keep her eyes closed every half a second.

“They’re closed, damn it! Calm yourself down!” she replied in annoyance. “Can I open them yet?”

“Not yet,” Justin replied anxiously.

The next thing Rachael heard was the sound of two female voices talking to each other. “I don’t know, Hols, Justin said to meet him here at 12:30. Said he had some big surprise for us,” the first voice said skeptically.

“Well, he never was the punctual sort,” the second replied with the sort of sigh that Rachael figured was probably followed by an annoyed glance at her watch.

“Okay,” Justin whispered in Rachael’s ear, his voice filled with excitement. “Now you can open them.” And open them she did. At first she was still slightly confused as to what the surprise was supposed to be, but then her eyes fell on the two girls she’d heard speaking when she walked in, who were just registering her presence as well. They were two faces she hadn’t seen in a long time, and they were a few years older than they’d been the last time she’d seen them, but she recognized them instantly. They were Hollie and Gaby, her two best friends growing up, aside from Justin. The three girls all seemed to realize that they were staring at friends they hadn’t seen in at least two years at the exact same moment, and they all bolted towards each other, letting out nearly identical ear-piercing screams.

“Rachael! Oh my God, it’s so good to see you!” Hollie exclaimed, hugging her friend tightly and grinning from ear to ear.

“It’s good to see you too! And Gaby, my love!” Rachael turned to the darker haired of the two and embraced her as well.

“Hey, Rach! You look great!” Gaby greeted her.

“Thanks! You do too! You both look fabulous, actually. I can’t believe I’m seeing you,” she squealed, pulling them both into a group hug again. “I’ve missed you two so much, you have no idea. What have you been up to lately anyway?”

“Well, we’re actually both going to school in UCLA,” Gaby informed her. “We’re graduating this year, believe it or not.”

“Wait a minute!” Rachael exclaimed. “You two have been in the same state as me all this time and you never told me?” She accentuated the last three words by smacking Hollie lightly on the arm with each one.

“Aw, sweetie, we kept meaning to call you, but first we couldn’t find your number, then you left to go on tour with N Sync, then no one told us you were back, and it’s just been a huge mess, but we love you loads and it will never happen again because we’ve missed you,” Hollie said, taking maybe half a breath the entire time. “And, ouch,” she added, rubbing her arm with a grimace.

Rachael laughed. “Okay, you’re forgiven.”

“Yo, enough with the sappy stuff, let’s get some pancakes,” Justin suggested, realizing that the three girls had probably forgotten he and Trace were there at all.

“Word. Pancakes,” Rachael replied with a nod as Hollie and Gaby greeted Justin, hugging him and asking him how he’d been. It was then that Rachael noticed Trace was still hanging back by the door, eyeing them all uncomfortably. Gaby had developed a similar demeanor as she finally noticed him standing there, and turned to whisper something to Hollie, who glanced over at Trace and shrugged.

“Um, J, why don’t you and Trace go get us a table while we go to the ladies’ room and freshen up,” Rachael suggested.

“Yeah, okay,” Justin nodded in response, knowing full well what this was about. He had conveniently forgotten to mention to both Trace and Gaby that the other one would be there. He was hoping that he could kill two birds with one stone by reuniting Rachael with old friends, and getting Trace and Gaby to just make up already. He knew it would happen eventually anyway and was just eager to speed up the process so that he wouldn’t have to listen to Trace complain about it any more and insist that he was fine and he didn’t need Gaby.

“Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God,” Gaby groaned as soon as the three girls were safely in the bathroom. “Why didn’t Justin tell me Trace would be here? I never would have come!”

“My guess is that’s exactly why Justin didn’t tell you Trace would be here,” Hollie reasoned, putting an arm around her friend in an attempt to calm her down.

“So I’m guessing you and Trace broke up again, huh?” Rachael questioned with a grimace. Both Hollie and Gaby nodded. “And what did the loser do this time?”

Hollie snorted as Gaby gazed mournfully down at her shoes. “He wanted Gaby to hang out with him at his place one night and she told him she couldn’t because she had to study. So he got all bitchy at her and was like, ‘Fine, if school’s more important to you than our relationship, I’ll just sit here by myself and whine like a little baby,’ except maybe I added that last part. So then later on Gaby was feeling guilty and she decided she’d go over to Trace’s and surprise him. She gets there and Trace is nowhere to be found. So she tries to call his cell, but he doesn’t answer, so she calls Justin who tells her that he and Trace are at some club, so Gaby decides to go there and find them. And when she got there he was dancing up on some whore with fake bosoms who was most definitely only after him so she could get in Justin’s pants. They had this huge fight in the middle of the club and have been broken up since.”

Rachael shook her head in disgust. “Men. I’m sorry, Gaby. If I’d known what Justin was doing, I wouldn’t have let him bring Trace along.”

Gaby shook her head and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. “No, it’s okay. We’re all adults, we can act civil around each other. There’s no reason we can’t have fun just because Trace and I aren’t together any more.”

“Especially considering the fact that you’ll probably be back together by the end of the afternoon,” Hollie interjected bluntly.

“Hollie, that is not true!” Gaby objected. “I said this was the last time and I’m sticking to it.”

The blonde shrugged, a playful smile tugging at her lips. “We shall see,” she replied, grabbing both of the other girls’ hands and pulling them towards the door. “Come on, let’s go get some food.”

***

Laughter rang across the restaurant as Justin glared at the two girls sitting across from him. Why in God’s name had he thought it would be a good idea to get Hollie and Rachael in the same room again? Gaby had always been the sweet one of the group, and these two were the troublemakers. Rachael had no trouble making fun of him by herself, but he’d forgotten how much worse it was when Hollie was there too.

“I’d completely forgotten about that!” Hollie exclaimed as Rachael recounted the story of the time she, Hollie, and Gaby had convinced Justin to let them put makeup on him in the fifth grade. “You would have made such a pretty girl, Justin.”

“That’s what I’ve always said! He’s moody enough to be a girl too,” Rachael added, practically doubled over in laughter.

“I resent you both very much, you know that?” Justin interjected. “You’ve scarred me to the point where I may never get over it. Ever.” Both girls gave him a look that he knew far too well. It was the ‘complain-all-you-want-but-I-will-still-make-fun-of-you’ look.

“I’m real worried about that, J. Really,” Rachael told him and gave him a condescending pat on the shoulder.

“As am I,” Hollie agreed, taking a sip of her water. “Wait, where did Gaby and Trace go? They said they’d be back in a few minutes.”

“Right over there.” Rachael pointed to the other side of the restaurant, where the supposed exes had been talking amicably for the past twenty minutes. Gaby was laughing about something and Trace was grinning like a fool.

Hollie sighed. “What did I tell you? I give them ten minutes before they walk over here and tell us they’re going home together or something. It’s about time too. Usually they’re back together before this.”

“How often does this happen?” Rachael questioned incredulously. Gaby and Trace had been infamous for their on again, off again relationship in high school, but she’d sort of figured it would have died down by now.

“Too often,” Hollie and Justin replied in unison.

“I honestly think they’re meant to be together, but I don’t blame Gaby for getting mad and breaking it off with him sometimes,” Hollie admitted. “Trace can be a real asswipe sometimes.”

“Yes he can,” Justin concurred. “And this is coming from his best friend.”

“But some people are just made for each other,” the blonde continued. “And I really wish those two would just realize that they are some of those people and get hitched already.”

Rachael laughed. “Sometimes it isn’t that simple,” she commented, glancing down her plate and fingering her fort absentmindedly.

Hollie nodded. “And what about you two? Either of you dating anyone?” They both shook their heads.

“I think I’m going to end up being an old maid. It really doesn’t bother me though. I can deal as long as I have friends.”

“Don’t be thick, Rach, you’re going to have millions of guys wanting to marry you. You’re beautiful, smart, funny, talented. You’re what every guy wants,” Justin hastily told her.

Rachael snorted. “Millions? I don’t think I’ll even meet millions of guys in my life. Let’s be reasonable here.”

“Shut up, you know what I meant.”

Hollie was saved from having to listen to the two bicker any longer as Gaby and Trace approached the table.

“Guys, we’re gonna get going,” Trace informed them, a stupid grin still plastered on his face. He seemed unable to rid himself of it.

“We?” Hollie replied, raising her eyebrows and taking an ‘I-told-you-so’ sort of sip from her cup. Rachael didn’t know anyone else who could make taking a sip of water say “I told you so,” but somehow Hollie accomplished it.

“Yes, we,” Gaby replied, fighting the urge to stick her tongue out at the blonde. Instead, she reached down and gave Rachael a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek. “It was really good seeing you again, Rach. We’ll have to do this again some time.”

“Yeah, definitely,” Rachael replied with a grin. “I’ll see you guys later.”

“See ya,” the happy couple replied, and with that they left the restaurant.

“Well, I think I better get going too,” Hollie sighed. “As much as I hate to admit it, I have loads of studying waiting for me at home.”

Rachael nodded. “Yeah, we should probably go too.” She really didn’t want to go, but she knew that she too had a pile of work left to do and Justin probably needed to finish packing. So the three left the restaurant and made their way out to the parking lot.

“It was so great to see you two, you have no idea,” Hollie beamed as she hugged them both. “Keep in touch, okay?”

“Definitely,” Rachael agreed with a grin.

“Great. See you guys later.” Hollie hopped in her car, then poked her head out the window one last time. “Oh, and Justin, thank you so much for forcing Trace and Gaby back together. That was brilliant.”

Justin winked at her. “No problem.” Hollie gave them one last wave and then disappeared down the road. “Hear that? I’m brilliant,” he emphasized to Rachael as soon as the other girl was gone.

Rachael rolled her eyes as she strolled over to his car. “I beg to differ, my dear. Although, I will admit, you have your moments.”

“And how was the surprise? Did I spare Trace’s nose?” Justin joked, walking over to her, wrapping his arms around her waist and setting his chin on her shoulder.

“Eh, it was okay,” Rachael allowed with a sly grin.

“Okay?! That was more than okay, woman, that was pure genius.”

She laughed and shoved him off of her, turning to face him. “You’re delusional.”

“Are you trying to tell me you didn’t like it?” he pouted.

“No, I loved it, sweetie. Best surprise I’ve ever had.”

“Wait, what was that? I couldn’t quite hear you,” Justin feigned deafness, putting a hand to his ear.

Rachael rolled her eyes. “You’re such a loser. I’m not repeating myself.”

“Well, I’m not letting you in the car until you do.” He grinned triumphantly at her.

“Fine. It was the best surprise I’ve ever had.”

“Louder.”

“Best surprise I’ve ever had, you moron!” she yelled.

“Eh?”

“It was best surprise in the history of man. Justin Randall Timberlake is a genius and I worship the ground he walks on. Is that good enough for you?”

Justin frowned slightly. “Well, it’ll have to do.”

“Good, because I’m never saying something like that again. And I’m going to wash my mouth out with soap when I get home to cleanse myself of the lies I just spoke.”

“Whatever, you do worship me. I can smell it.”

“Just open the damn car door, okay?”

“Fine, fine.”

“Wait. You can smell it? Why am I friends with someone who says things like that?”

“Because you love me.”


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki