Author's Chapter Notes:

for some reason i have the sudden urge to sing the theme song to MMC, but i'm going to fight it.  lol! this has been 2 years in the making and i want to thank all of you who have stuck by coffee and i throughout this process.  thanks for the reviews, they really kept us going, and thank you for delving into the lives of kara, marz, justin and trace with us.  i want to personally thank coffee for writing this with me.  thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with one of my favorite fan fic authors! :)  to everyone else, enjoy the epilogue!

 - Scherzo

Epilogue

 

Three Years Later

 

"Listen, there has to be some way to switch things around. I can't miss this, Marz will kill me."

Kara was walking down the streets of New York City. In one hand was a Dean & Deluca mocha -which has long since gone cold- and in the other was her purse strap and her trusty spiral notebook containing all her recent lyrics and song ideas. She had just come out of a meeting, and was on her way back to her hotel to grab a quick nap before she had to be in the studio that evening. On the phone her personal assistant, Nancy, was reviewing her schedule for the next four weeks.

"Kara, you've already booked yourself to go to back to LA and work with Wale. There's not too much wiggle room."

"Well, we're going to have to find some. If worst comes to worst, cancel. He'll just have to understand, it's my sister."

"Yes, Kara."

"Thanks Nancy, you're the best assistant ever."

Kara hung up the phone and shoved it into her purse. The past three years had been a whirlwind. She'd gone to Paris to work with Columbia, and after that her production career had exploded. Now she was so busy, she'd had to hire an assistant of her own. It seemed like she had travelled the world three times over in the past few years, and had worked with more singers and groups than she could have imagined. But all of her best stuff she faxed to Justin first. They weren't the closest of friends, but they traded the occasional friendly email or phone call. He'd been dating a supermodel for the past year and a half, and hopefully everything would keep going well because he was already hearing wedding bells and crying babies in his head. Though their time together had been stressful and stormy, when she thought of him she always had no option but to smile fondly.

Because she wasn't looking where she was going, it shouldn't have surprised her when she walked smack into someone, but it did. Kara let out a startled gasp and threw out her arms to steady her balance. When she had a handle on her footing, she looked up to see who it was she'd collided with. Part of her was surprised whoever it was hadn't started screaming at her yet. She'd found out that the notorious reputation New Yorkers had for being mean was both well earned and the God's honest truth. But when she looked into the familiar face before her, she wondered if maybe she'd have been better off with an irate, screaming stranger.

"Hey, Kara."

"Hi, Trace."

He smiled bashfully at her, and inside her heart fluttered. It'd been three years since their conversation in the parking lot. They hadn't spoken since, and she'd given into the possibility that they never would again. But now here he was, and everything in her turned to girly-mush.

"What are you doing here?" She blurted rudely, and then corrected herself. "I mean, how are you?"

They both let out a nervous laugh.

"I'm good. I'm just on my way to grab some lunch. Just got out of a fitting for the William Rast fashion show next week."

"That's right, I heard about that. Bryant Park again, huh?"

"Yep. It's our fourth year in a row."

"Congratulations, that's awesome."

"Thank you. We've showed there before, but the excitement never gets old."

An awkward silence fell over them, and Trace chewed his bottom lip as he thought over something to say. Inside his pulse was racing, but he didn't want her to know that. She looked beautiful, with her grown out curls and big doe eyes. She looked like the girl he'd known years ago.

"I heard about your sister, on TMZ. It was pretty surprising."

"I know! Marz getting married. Who would have seen it coming?"

"Not me."

Kara giggled.

"She's not so bad anymore. Since we don't work together anymore it's allowed our relationship to grow. I couldn't be happier for her."

"What's the guy like?"

Kara mulled over the question for a second.

"Nice. Smart. Low key. They're very different; a case of opposites attract, I suppose. But, he loves her dearly and that's all that matters to me."

Trace nodded.

"Good for her. Give her my best wishes for me."

"I will. She'll be glad to hear from you. She always liked you."

"I wish I could say the same about her," he laughed.

Kara laughed too, and let her eyes roam over him when he looked away. He looked good. His body had filled out, new muscles flexing in his arms. He wore cargo pants and a William Rast tee-shirt, and his hair buzzed low to his scalp.

"So, um, how are you doing?" She asked. "Still no special someone?"

He shook his head.

"No. I was engaged, but that didn't work out."

"Yeah, I read something about that in the tabloids. I'm sorry."

"It was all for the best," he said. "She knew I wasn't completely into it. Still sulking over the one that got away, I guess."

The breath in Kara's throat hitched when he looked at her. His eyes were soft and longing, almost wistful. She knew he meant her, she was the one who got away, and she blushed. His eyes worked their way down her body, and he cocked his head to the side.

"What about you? No special guy?"

"No, no special guy for me. I just got back from Dhabi, I haven't even thought about dating."

"Dhabi? Wow."

"Yeah. There's a Bollystar looking to make an American crossover, so I went to do a few songs with her."

"Well, if it's a crossover they want than they called the right girl."

Kara giggled.

"We'll see."

"No, I already know. I've been following your career, you're amazing."

"Thanks."

Another round of silence fell over them, but this time it wasn't as awkward as it had been. It was nervous energy, exciting and full of optimism. She'd always felt a spark for him, even after the horrible thing she'd done. Maybe enough time had passed that he'd be over his anger and able to feel the spark again too.

"I'm sorry," she said with a smile. "I keep staring at you. I just can't get over the chances of running into you like this."

"It is pretty crazy."

"Tell me about it. Listen, what are you doing right now? I'm supposed to be gearing up my creative juices, but I don't actually have to work until later. Can I buy you a drink, or lunch, or something?"

Trace shrugged, and for a moment Kara thought he was going to say no.

"Okay, on one condition: I'll let you buy me a drink, if you tell me all about Dhabi."

Kara smiled brightly.

"It's a deal. Do you just want a beer? I know a little pub around the corner. They don't do fancy mixed drinks, but they pop the cap off a Coors Light that is to die for."

Trace swept an arm through the arm and bowed slightly.

"Lead the way."

Heading off, the pair walked side by side toward the small pub on the corner. Their faces were covered in nervous smiles, and their hearts raced a million miles an hour. It felt surreal, almost pre-destined; like they were on the verge of something wonderful.


Completed
sChErZo is the author of 13 other stories.
Coffee is the author of 27 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Shadow also liked 485 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair assistant celebrityj williamrast triangles interracialj justin tabloids