Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey there!! Thank you for all of your reviews!! You're all awesome!!! Well here's another update and I hope you like it. Again I apologize for the delay the other week in updates. Thank you for sticking with me!! Hope you like it and please continue to review!! :)
I believe whole heartedly in second chances. Everyone makes mistakes but the true test of a person’s character is what they do when given another opportunity to make things right. I guess flying Alyssa out to California to stay with me constitutes a second chance for us to be friends. Right now I wouldn’t call us anything other than two people raising our child together. We get along for the sake of our daughter but I certainly wouldn’t call our relationship anything other than that.

It took some convincing on my part to get her to come out here since she’s never left North Carolina before but now that she’s on her way, I’m excited. I want to show her what life is like out here but more importantly how far I’ve come in caring for Cadence. I’ve learned so many things about our little girl by just spending time with her. I’ve learned that she loves to sleep; her favorite blanket is the one I bought her when we got out here, she hates it when I put her down and she instantly falls asleep when I sing to her. I never would’ve learned any of that just seeing her every once and awhile. I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do when I go on tour and can’t be with her.

Alyssa’s plane is arriving any minute now and I’ve done my best to disguise myself so that Cadence and I can both greet her when she gets off the plane. Alyssa thinks I’m just picking her up and we’re meeting my mother later with Cadence but I know she’s dying to see her baby. I thought it would be a nice surprise…just the three of us.

Cadence has to be the most well behaved baby I’ve ever seen and I’m not just saying that because she’s mine. But she rarely cries and she’s content just being in my arms when we’re out. Right now she is intently sucking on her pacifier while I watch the people file off the plane. Keeping my eyes pealed, I finally spot Alyssa towards the end of the line carrying all of her bags. After most of the people have dispersed from the terminal I approached Alyssa.

“Hey there…”

Alyssa turns around suddenly and the smile that lights up her face when she sees Cadence is one I’ll never forget. “There’s my little girl…oh come to mommy.” She says while she throws her bags to the ground and takes Cadence from my arms. Alyssa pulls her tightly to her chest and attacks her face with kisses. “I’ve missed you…” She says softly before looking up towards me.

“Hey Justin…thank you for this. I’ve missed her so much.” She says with a genuine smile on her face.

“It’s my pleasure…but I think it’s best if we get going. We haven’t caught anyone’s attention and I certainly don’t want to start now…” I said while grabbing Alyssa’s bags and throwing them over my shoulder while she carries Cadence through the terminal and out to the car.

Alyssa and I spend most of the drive back to my house talking about Cadence and how much she’s grown. I’ve filled her in on some of her new developments like how she’s able to hold herself up for a couple of seconds before tumbling backwards. Alyssa keeps looking back to a sound asleep Cadence in the backseat and I know she’s just happy to be near her daughter again.

“So how’s the wedding planning coming along?” I asked wondering what in the hell would possess me to ask about neighbor boy.

Alyssa shrugs her shoulders before answering me. “I haven’t done anything. I don’t know…it’s just…” She stammers before stopping. “I don’t want to burden you with anything…”

“You’re not…you can tell me.” I said glancing over at her before turning my eyes back to the road. I don’t really know why I asked her about her upcoming wedding to the great and wonderful Ryan. I guess I was just looking for something to talk about.

“He doesn’t actually know I’m out here…” My face must’ve shown the shock because she quickly explains before I can even say anything. “He’s always out of town working and whenever I talk about Cadence and you, we always get into these huge blowouts. I don’t know…he’s just stressed out from work and I needed to get away.”

I nod my head knowing it’s not my place to pry when she’s ready to talk, she will. “Anything in particular you want to do out here?” I asked while making the turn into my addition.

“Just spend every minute I can with Cadence...” She says as she looks back towards our baby and then at me. “And you.”
________________________________________________________________________

Being able to spend the last couple of weeks with Cadence has been the best time of my life but having Alyssa here to help…is even better. Alyssa and I are really starting to repair the damage that’s been done and learning to be friends again. We’ve had several talks about life, love and relationships but nothing tops the conversation we had last night. Alyssa actually broke down in front of me apologizing profusely for hiding Cadence. It was one of the most sincere acts I’ve ever seen and I know without a doubt we can move past that. Although I don’t agree with the decision she made…I now understand why she did it and I’ve forgive her for it.

We’ve talked a lot about our hopes and dreams for Cadence. Both of us hope she grows up without any media attention. We just want a normal childhood for her and my life doesn’t exactly provide that. Clearly a topic we’ll have to discuss more.

Cadence has finally fallen asleep for the night and Alyssa’s camped out on my couch.

“What are you doing?” I ask seeing her completely sprawled out on my couch.

“I’m getting ready to watch a movie…” She says tucking a blanket around her body.

“Oh…all right. Well have a good night.” I said before turning on my heels to head upstairs.

“You can join me, you know?” She says while lifting her feet up and opening the blanket.

I jump down on the couch and practically tear the covers away from her. We both get comfortable as the opening scene starts to play across the TV.

“Alyssa?” I asked.

“Hmm?” She answers but never turns her attention away from the movie.

“Have you told Ryan you’re out here yet?”

She lets out a breath of air before answering. Her face is clearly displaying a distressed look over this topic. “Yeah…I talked to him earlier. He’s not very happy that I just left without telling him. I don’t know…part of me wants to care, but I just don’t. Is that wrong of me?”

I don’t really know what to say…I’m trying to just be a neutral party but I fucking hate that guy. “I don’t really know…it’s not like you’re out here just to have fun. I mean you’re here to be with our daughter.”

“Exactly.” She says as she slaps her arms down next to her. “Besides he’s always the one who’s away on business. Why can’t I have some time for myself too?” I nod my head and let her continue venting. “Honestly Justin…I really don’t even want to talk about it because it’ll just get me upset and it’s not worth it. All that matters is that I’m here now and having a great time with you and Cadence.”

With that the subject of Ryan was dropped and we both cuddled into the opposite sides of the couch to enjoy the movie. This trip has definitely solidified a growing friendship with Alyssa again. She’s not only the mother of my baby girl…she’s a friend.

________________________________________________________________________

Have you ever woken up the next morning and you know before you even move that you’re sore? I guess falling asleep curled up on the couch with another body smashed up against you will do that. The sun is shining brightly through the curtains and it’s cascaded throughout the room and taken over the couch. Alyssa is still sleeping peacefully next to me and I wiggle my way out from the makeshift bed.

I run my hands through my hair as I climb the stairs to get our little bundle from her crib. Gently, I open the door and she’s laying there peacefully playing again with her stuffed animal.

“Hey beautiful…want to go wake mommy?” I ask as I pick her up and take her in my arms. The two of us happily bound back down the stairs to a sleeping Alyssa.

Gently, I place Cadence on top of Alyssa’s stomach and hold her their carefully. I swipe a piece of hair that’s fallen from Alyssa’s ponytail away from her eyes and she starts to stir. Softly her eyes flutter open and she immediately sees her baby’s smiling face. Alyssa sits up and takes Cadence in her arms and giving her a million kisses. The squeal that escapes Cadence’s mouth makes my heart melt.

“How’d my little girl sleep?” Alyssa asks.

“She was out like a light. When I went to get her this morning she was just laying their quietly playing with her toys.”

“Good at least someone slept well. That is the last time I ever sleep on this couch Justin. It’s comfortable to a point but now I feel like I was laying on concrete for most of the night.”

“That makes two of us.” Alyssa looks at me with her eyebrows raised. “I fell asleep watching the movie too and didn’t wake up till a little bit ago. Trust me…I feel like I get hit by a truck which isn’t good for rehearsals today…”

“Rehearsals?” She looks at me with a dumb found expression and my mouth immediately snaps shut. Shit…I haven’t told her about the tour yet and that was definitely not how I wanted it to come out.

“Umm…yeah…you see…” I stuttered and fidgeted underneath Alyssa’s stare. She has this completely clueless expression on her face and she’s coddling Cadence closer to her body.

“What rehearsals Justin?” She repeats.

I let out a rush of air that I didn’t even know I was holding and prepare myself for the backlash. “Rehearsals for my tour…”

Alyssa nods her head slowly displaying no emotion and I’m freaking out inside. “When are you going on tour?” She says with a steady voice.

“In three weeks…” I respond with my head down. I am such an asshole. I should’ve fucking told her sooner wasn’t I just talking about second chances too.

“Oh…” She says with no emotion laced through her words. She just stands up and walks into the kitchen with Cadence cradled close to her body.

I follow behind her silently cursing myself for not being upfront with Alyssa from the beginning. When I enter the kitchen she’s pulling eggs from the refrigerator and preparing to make some breakfast for everyone. Her body is turned away from me and her shoulders are slumped forward.

“Alyssa…” I start to say and she doesn’t even acknowledge my words, just continues to prepare the food.

I can feel the anger rising slightly in my stomach and I’m trying hard to push it away. I don’t want to fight with her and I especially don’t want to fight with Cadence in the middle of it. I take a moment to gather myself before getting closer to Alyssa so I can see her face.

“Alyssa…I’m sorry I should’ve told you sooner.”

Alyssa drops the spatula in her hand and turns to face me. “Why didn’t you Justin? Were you just going to go on tour in three weeks and hope I didn’t find out about it? I mean seriously…there’s a little girl involved now. Neither of us can be selfish and hide these things.”

I nod my head agreeing completely with her. I fucked up this time. “I don’t know Alyssa…I’ve just been so happy having Cadence with me that I wasn’t ready to just give her back and not see her for months.”

Alyssa’s expression softens slightly and she starts to hand Cadence over to me. I willingly take my little girl in my arms and pull her into me. “Justin…you don’t have to go the entire tour and not spend time with her. In fact, that’s exactly what I don’t want to happen. She’s our daughter and I want you to be able to see her and be with her whenever you want too. But if you don’t tell me about these things we can’t work anything out.”

“I know…I just…I screwed up Alyssa. I’m sorry…”

A small smile spreads across her face and now I’m the one who’s clueless. I thought for sure we were going to have it out and just like that she’s ok with everything. “Why are you smiling?” I ask completely dumbfounded.

“Because you thought I was going to flip out on you. I think its fun to switch it up on you…” She says as she starts to laugh.

I turn to look at Cadence who’s smiling up at me with her big blue eyes. “Mommy thinks it’s funny to mess with Daddy…” I say to Cadence before grabbing an egg out of the carton. Alyssa looks at me with wide eyes and starts to back away from us.

“Justin what are you doing?”

“Nothing…” I said with a touch of mischief in my eyes. Just then my front door opens and my mom walks through it. Immediately, I hand Cadence over to her and dart after Alyssa. She’s already ten steps ahead of me and up the stairs. She’s closing the door to my bedroom when I jump in front of it and push it open. Alyssa’s laughing hysterically and I take the egg that is secured in my hand and crush it over her head. The gooey mess runs down her hair and on her face. Now I am the one who is laughing hysterically at Alyssa’s expression.

“You’re going to pay for that Timberlake…”

“I look forward to it Powell.” I said with a wink.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj