Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone!! Thank you all for the fantastic reviews!! They mean so much to me! I really appreciate them! I hope you're all having a great day...I've been watching the football games pretty much all day...I have a slight obsession with fantasy football now. :) haha! But I hope you enjoy the new update...please keep the reviews coming! Enjoy!!
"Wake up Daddy…Daddy….Daddy…DADDY!!!” Trace practically yells into my ear, bolting me from my peaceful slumber. My eyes dart around the room before landing on him; he’s laughing hysterically at me while holding Cadence in his arms. She’s laughing along with him and her smile melts my heart.

“What’s your problem man?” I say while reaching out to take Cadence onto my lap.

“She’s been up for awhile and wants to see you. I thought I’d wake you up the same way she will be doing for the next couple of years…once she learns how to talk that is.” He explains as he lifts Cadence onto the bed with me.

“So what’s the plan for today?” He asks as he sits down on the chair next to my bed.

“Last show of the tour tonight…” I respond while fixing Cadence’s shirt.

“I can’t believe its coming to an end…it’s been one hell of a tour Justin. Seriously, this show was awesome.”

“Thanks man…it’s been a hell of a ride, that’s for sure. But I’m looking forward to just spending quality time at home with Cadence. It’s great having her on the road with me…but I want her to have structure and being in a different city every day can’t be conducive for her development.”

Trace snickers at my response before throwing his two cents in. “Listen to yourself man, you really are a father. It can’t be conducive for her development. It’s good to see you really put her before you…in every sense. You’re going to make a great father and she’s going to grow up wonderfully.”

I smile and lift Cadence up in the air. “You hear that Cadence…I’m going to make a great father…” She screams out in laughter before I pull her back onto my lap.

Trace laughs along with us before standing up and walking towards the door. “Hey man…I got to make a few calls and take care of some things but I’ll meet up with you two later.” He finishes before opening the door and disappearing down the hallway. It’s been awesome having Trace with for this past week. Cadence has really attached herself to him and it’s been great watching them bond. He has been my best friend since I was Cadence’s age and he’s always been there when I needed him.

“How about we get ready Ms. Cadence? It’s Daddy’s last show tonight…” I start talking to her and she covers her mouth with her hands before laying her head on my chest. It’s those moments that really melt your heart as a father.

________________________________________________________________________

A knock on my dressing room door pulled my attention away from Cadence. “Justin…you ready?” Trace calls out before opening the door and coming inside.

“Yeah I am…just getting some last minute laughs from Cadence.” I said before picking her up and kissing her cheek.

“Good luck tonight…enjoy it. It was a ridiculously successful tour man.” Trace said taking Cadence from my arms and positioning her on his hip.

“Thanks man…I’ll see you after the show?” I asked before giving Cadence one last kiss goodbye.

“Mmmhhmm…” He responds with a mischievous grin on his face. I would’ve questioned him more if Mike hadn’t interrupted explaining that I was needed on stage right then. I turn to give Cadence one last wave before heading down the hall towards the stage for the last time. It’s surreal to think the tour is coming to an end already but I’m really looking forward to just reveling in being a father. I can’t wait to spend early mornings watching cartoons, trips to the park, ice cream runs, late night Disney movies, falling asleep with her on my stomach and watching her learn to walk and talk for the first time. Everything that comes with being a parent far outweighs being on tour.

I make the final turn before walking in between my bodyguards towards the stage. Fans are screaming my name and I smile brightly at them. It’s the last time I’ll be on tour for a long time and my fans don’t have any idea why I won’t return for at least a couple years. Making my way underneath the stage, I receive a handful of congratulatory remarks and hugs before getting ready to perform one last time.

________________________________________________________________________

This show has been anything but predictable. Almost every dancer, band member and back-up singer has pulled a prank on me throughout the concert and I’ve had a hard time singing rather than laughing. This show has been more fun than any other and it’s exactly what I wanted out of the last one.

The lights finally turn back on and the entire arena is lit up, allowing me to see my fans for the first time tonight. I’m always astounded at the sheer volume of the arenas and the fact that every seat has a body in it. It completely humbles me. The cheers echo off the walls before I take a seat at the piano and bring the microphone to my mouth.

“Thank you…Thank you….Thank you…” I start off with. “I would be no where without all of you, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.” I didn’t think it was possible but the cheers get even louder with that. “You know, this tour has been so enjoyable for me…I’m sad to see it come to an end. But it’s been awesome hitting the road, meeting all of you and singing every night.” I say but am immediately cut off by a video that’s being broadcasted up onto the screens surrounding the stage.

“Don’t think we’re done yet Justin…” Trace calls into the camera. “A bunch of us got together and decided to put some videos together…congrats man on a great tour!” The fans erupt into cheering and I sit down thoroughly amused that they were able to do all of this without me knowing.

“Hey Justin…it’s your mama. Just wanted to say congratulations on a great year…I’m so proud of you. I love you and can’t wait for you to come home!” My mom chimes in as her picture takes up the screen. I haven’t seen my mom in so long and I don’t care what anyone says…I’ll always be a mama’s boy.

“Justin!!” Trace practically yells into the camera. “Say hello to my niece.” He says holding Cadence up and waving her hand into the camera. I can feel my throat constrict just watching my baby up there. “Congrats man…your tour was awesome and can’t wait for you to get back to California. We’ll definitely go out for a few…love ya man. Cadence say goodbye…” He whispers and waves her hand one more time before the screen goes black and then Johnny pops on. It continues to go through a slew of people wishing me the best before my heart practically stops beating and I forget to breathe when Alyssa’s pictures shows up.

“Hi Justin, Trace had called wanting me to tape something to show at your last concert, so here I am. I’m so proud of everything you’ve accomplished this year. You’re unstoppable. I know it’s been a while since we last saw each other…but just know I’m always there cheering you on. I miss you and congrats again! Love you Justin…” She says before blowing a kiss at the screen and the arena lights turn back on.

I’m having a hard time collecting my thoughts because Alyssa was definitely the last person I expected to see on that screen. The lights finally find me sitting on the piano and I realize how much seeing her has affected me. “You’ll have to give me a second…I wasn’t expecting that and it really meant a lot to see all of my friends and family again.” I said before taking a drink of water, trying to regain my composure.

“I have one more song for you all…usually at the end of the concert I play a song that I’m feeling and this one was definitely not planned. But I hope you guys like it. I had a great time tonight. Thank you again and I’ll see you all the next time around.” I say before letting my fingers fall on the piano and let my heart get lost in the emotion of the song.


Shadows fill an empty heart
As love is fading,
From all the things that we are
But are not saying.
Can we see beyond the scars
And make it to the dawn?

Change the colors of the sky.
And open up to
The ways you made me feel alive,
The ways I loved you.
For all the things that never died,
To make it through the night,
Love will find you.

What about now?
What about today?
What if you're making me all that I was meant to be?
What if our love never went away?
What if it's lost behind words we could never find?
Baby, before it's too late,
What about now?

The sun is breaking in your eyes
To start a new day.
This broken heart can still survive
With a touch of your grace.
Shadows fade into the light.
I am by your side,
Where love will find you.

What about now?
What about today?
What if you're making me all that I was meant to be?
What if our love, it never went away?
What if it's lost behind words we could never find?
Baby, before it's too late,
What about now?

Now that we're here,
Now that we've come this far,
Just hold on.
There is nothing to fear,
For I am right beside you.
For all my life,
I am yours.

What about now?
What about today?
What if you're making me all that I was meant to be?
What if our love never went away?
What if it's lost behind words we could never find?

What about now?
What about today?
What if you're making me all that I was meant to be?
What if our love never went away?
What if it's lost behind words we could never find?
Baby, before it's too late,
Baby, before it's too late,
Baby, before it's too late,
What about now?



I let the guitar riff fill the arena after I finished singing before getting up and taking one last bow. I yelled thank you before disappearing down the stairs and underneath the stage. After seeing that video from Alyssa, I am more determined than ever to make her see that she should be with me. That the three of us would make a beautiful family and Ryan needs to remain the loyal friend, not her husband.

I jog through the hallways leading back to my dressing room. Crew members are clapping and smiling at me but my head is off in North Carolina. I know the wedding is coming up and I’m almost out of time.

I open my dressing room and am shocked to the point of being frozen in mid-step when I see Alyssa standing there holding Cadence in her arms. She looks up at me with a smile adorning her face as she cuddles Cadence closer to her chest.

“Hi…” She mumbles out.

My eyes feel like they’re about to pop out of my head. She was definitely the last person I was expecting to be in here. A second ago my head was running through different scenarios about getting her to come out here when she wouldn’t even answer any of my calls.

“What are you doing here?” I respond while stepping into the room and letting the door close behind me.

“I missed Cadence…and you.” She says softly.

I can feel my body start to clam up because I’ve been down this road so many times before with her. I always let her come waltzing back in and she ends up capturing my heart and practically tearing it out when she walks out of my life.

“I’m sorry Justin…” She says with more emotion behind her voice than I was ready for.

“I don’t know what you want me to say…” I say before walking past her and giving Cadence a kiss on the cheek. I reach for a towel and sling it around my neck.

“I deserve that…” She answers.

“What are you doing here?” I ask while wiping my face off.

“Trace called me…” A part of me wants to kill that bastard for doing this behind my back but at the same time I know he’s trying to help and even though it’s hard for me to see Alyssa…I know I would rather her be here than not. “Justin…I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have left without explaining anything to you. I know I don’t deserve another chance but I want you to know that what happened that night meant more to me than you’ll ever know. It rocked me to the core and I’m here to make amends.” She starts to pour out and I feel myself getting caught up in everything she’s saying. For the past couple weeks, I’ve tortured myself over her departure and now she just shows up out of the blue.

“Alyssa…you don’t even understand what you’re doing to me. I am so head over heels in love with you and you’ve managed to break my heart more than once. I can’t keep doing this back and forth shit…it’s not fair to me or Ryan.”

“I know…I know…” She says with a hint of conviction in her voice. “There’s a lot we need to talk about…I’m asking you to give me one more chance Justin. Please find it in your heart to just hear me out?”

I feel the sharp intake of breath at her words because I can tell my walls are breaking down. I take a second to think it over before slowly nodding my head. I want nothing more than to work everything out and if I let my anger overtake this situation, maybe we’ll never see the end of this vicious cycle. “Sure…” I say before grabbing some of my things out of my bag. “There are some things I have to take care of here…but the whole crew should be heading back to the hotel soon. If you want, you can ride with Trace but give me an hour and meet me in my room. We can talk then.” I say as I grab an extra pair of clothes and give Cadence a kiss before walking into the bathroom. My heart is beating so hard in its cage that if I didn’t get out of that situation, I feared I just might completely break down. I don’t know what I’m really expecting Alyssa to say but I hope like hell she doesn’t run again.
Chapter End Notes:
Song Credit:
Daughtry - "What About Now?"


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj