Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey there!!! Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all of the wonderful reviews!!! I love to hear from you all and I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Well here's the next update...hope you like it! :)
I am totally and completely at a crossroads right now. The whole reason for coming to North Carolina was to get away from everything and just relax. I certainly didn’t plan on meeting someone like Alyssa. She makes me want to be a better person, not only for her but for myself. She makes me feel alive. When I’m with her the whole world seems to just stop and it’s just the two of us. No one has ever had that affect on me before. That’s why I’m so confused.

You see…my love life is basically up, down and all around. I don’t have that great of a track record when it comes to relationships and I don’t think I want to ruin the friendship Alyssa and I have. This is the way I see it, if I take it to the next level and it doesn’t work…I just threw away the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. See what kind of a dilemma I’m in?!

I guess my confusion only gets stronger when all I can think about was that kiss we shared. That kiss rocked my soul and I know she felt the same way. Ever since that night, I know she wants to be with me but I don’t know what I want. Am I an asshole for taking a step back and distancing myself from her now? I know I’m giving her hot and cold signs but I can’t help it. I truthfully don’t think a relationship between the two of us is a good idea.

I suppose it doesn’t help that I will be going back to California in two weeks. I know that holds a lot of weight in choosing to not be in a relationship with Alyssa. Part of me thinks we could make it work, but lingering in my head are Ryan’s threats. When I go back to California, I can’t guarantee I will visit often; I’ll have limited time and my life won’t really nurture new relationships. All things considered…it’s just in our best interest to remain friends.

It’s almost noon and Alyssa should be coming over any minute now. She took the weekend off and we’re planning on road tripping back to her parent’s house. She hasn’t seen them in almost eight months. I’m not really looking forward to being anywhere near Ryan again but she wanted some company and it’s not like I have anything better going on at the hotel.

All of a sudden there was a pound at the door and I threw my bag over my shoulder before answering it.

“You ready to go stud?” Alyssa asked as she pushed her sunglasses on top of her head.

That’s one thing I’m going to miss when I leave, her stopping by all the time. “Yep. All packed up.” I said while closing the door behind me.

We walked hand in hand down the hallway making small talk and making sure to avoid any run-ins with Mrs. Smith. That woman has a set of pinchers on her.

After loading my bag into the car, we hopped in and started the three hour drive inland. The sun was shining brightly, windows down and wind whipping through the car…these moments are so far and few in between for me. If I could freeze it in time, I would.

“What do you have planned for the weekend?” I asked while looking out the window. North Carolina is so pretty with the lush scenery and the ocean nearby. This place will never get old to me.

“Not a whole lot actually. My parents were just planning on taking us out to dinner Saturday night; otherwise we’ll play it by ear.”

“Are we going to hang out with Ryan at all?” I asked nervously. I just don’t like the guy.

Alyssa’s eyes narrowed slightly. “Why do you say that?”

“Umm…I don’t know. Nevermind…forget it.” I stammered.

“No, tell me…” She persisted.

“I know he’s a good friend of yours, we just didn’t really hit it off and I don’t know if I’m up for another round with him this weekend.”

Alyssa turned her head and smiled softly. “I promise we won’t be visiting Ryan. I’m sorry about everything that happened between you two. He really is a great guy…I think he’s just protective of me.”

“Is he ever…” I said knowingly.

Alyssa giggled. “Do you have anything you want to do while we’re here?”

“Just spend time with you…” I answered before turning my attention back towards the road. I know, I know…I’m an asshole, that’s totally leading her on…but it’s the truth. I’m looking forward to being alone with her but as friends.

The rest of the ride was filled with joking, laughing and obnoxious singing. I found out Alyssa loves to blast the radio and sing at the top of her lungs. Too bad she’s completely tone deaf. For the love of God, someone needs to tell her she’s terrible.

However, it wasn’t long until we were pulling into an addition and taking the drive up towards her parent’s house. The house was beautiful on the outside and overlooked the entire valley. The lawn was perfectly landscaped with flowers and lights lining the walkway up towards the door. After unloading all of our bags, I followed behind Alyssa as she walked up towards the door. Soon after, the sound of footsteps shuffling on the other side of the door could be heard.

The door whipped opened and Alyssa’s mom was standing there with a huge smile on her face. It was clear that Alyssa definitely took after her mother. They both had the long flowing blonde hair and bright blue eyes.

“Oh my gosh, you’re here…come in Lys.” Her mother says with a thick southern drawl lacing her words.

“Mom, this is Justin. Justin, this is my mom…” Alyssa says motioning towards me.

Immediately, Alyssa’s mom pulls me into a hug. This is why I like the south. Everyone is so friendly. It doesn’t matter that she’s never met me before she welcomes me with open arms. “Nice to meet you Mrs. Powell. Thank you for having me here.”

“Please, call me Carrie. It’s no trouble at all. Are you two hungry?” She asks before walking towards the kitchen.

“I’m starving mom…”

“I’ll make you two something to eat. Alyssa, show Justin where he can put his things.” Carrie says before turning her attention back towards the kitchen.

Alyssa turned on her heel and practically bolted down a flight of stairs into the basement. “Well here it is…Chateau Justin.” Alyssa joked while pointing into the guest room.

“Your house is nice Lyssa…” I said after I threw the bags down on the floor.

“Thanks…so this is your room, mine is across the hall and over there on the right is the bathroom.” She explained.

I took a chance to look around and I realized how much her house reminded me of home. The plush carpeting, the oversized furniture, the decorations and most importantly the pictures lining the walls was reminiscent of home.

“Let’s go eat…” She said before running back up the stairs again.

Carrie was busy putting together some sandwiches when we entered the kitchen.

“Mom, where’s dad?” Alyssa said before taking a seat at the kitchen table.

“He had one last job to finish back in the city but he’ll be home soon. Well, I hope you are hungry Justin. Alyssa always liked huge sandwiches…I guess I still make them that way…” Carrie said blushing as she sat the plate in front of me.

“It looks great!” I said before taking a huge bite of my sandwich. It felt so good to be in an actual house and not at the hotel. I can eat home cooked food and enjoy the company of others. We should’ve come here earlier in the summer.

The rest of the afternoon Alyssa and her mom spent catching up with one another. I didn’t really mind being the obvious third wheel. I never felt out of place and her mom was more than polite when she asked about my life. She truly wanted to get to know me and where I stood in her daughter’s life. I could definitely get used to this house and these people.

It was now late at night and Alyssa and I were sprawled out on the couch watching a movie together in the basement. Her head was lying on my lap and a blanket wrapped securely around both of us. I know, I know…probably not the best situation for friends again.

“Justin, I’m really going to miss you…” She whispered almost so soft that I didn’t catch it.

I rubbed my hand down her back. “We’ll stay in touch Alyssa…don’t worry…”

She shifted on the couch and was now looking up at me. “It won’t ever be the same though…”

I shrugged my shoulders and let out a sigh. “I don’t know…”

Alyssa closed her eyes and snuggled deeper into my arms. She seemed so vulnerable at that moment. I couldn’t bring myself to pull away. If for just one night, I can re-assure her through holding her then I’ll go ahead and give that to her. It’s the least I can do.

No one can predict what will happen between the two of us once I leave. But I know she’s left such a huge impact on my heart…I’ll never forget her or our time we spent together.

Not long after, I could hear her breathing deepen and I watched the steady rise and fall of her chest. Every thought, worry and question was erased from her mind and she looked so peaceful. I was so caught up in watching her sleep that I almost didn’t hear the door open and close. I looked up sharply and down the stairs came her father.

He was clad in a pair of jeans and a dark red polo. He looked exhausted but he put on a smile the minute he saw me on the couch.

“You must be Justin…” He said offering his hand.

I reached out and shook it. “Yes sir. It’s nice to meet you Mr. Powell.”

“Call me Dave. I see my girl’s fast asleep…”

“Yeah…she just fell asleep a little bit ago. I can wake her…”

“No, let her sleep…I’ll see her in the morning.” He said while sitting down on the opposite side of the couch. I turned the movie off and switched the TV to Sports Center. “Nice choice Justin…”

I smiled. “Thanks…”

“So Justin…what have you been up to? I hear you’re on vacation.” He said while turning his attention towards me.

I swallowed nervously. There’s nothing like just meeting a girl’s father and then being questioned by him with no hope of someone interrupting. Both Alyssa and her mom were fast asleep. “Yeah…I’m from California and just wanted to get away for the summer…”

“So what do you think of it so far?”

“I love it…I think it helped meeting Alyssa at the hotel. She’s been great, showing me around town and teaching me how to crack crab. Although, I haven’t quite figured it out yet.”

Dave smiled and nodded his head. “It takes practice that’s for sure. Well…I don’t want to keep you. I’ll let you get some sleep. See you in the morning…” He said before standing up and walking back up the stairs.

Well that definitely went a lot better than I thought. He seemed like a nice guy and he didn’t want to rip my head off for Alyssa lying on me. I’d think most fathers would have thrown the guy out for even touching their daughter in their house. But this was different…he was really laid back and just easy to talk to. I love North Carolina even more than before.

I nudged Alyssa slightly and maneuvered my way out from underneath her. Gently, I picked her up and cradled her into my arms before walking into her bedroom. I laid her softly on her bed and pulled the covers up over her. She shifted a little before snuggling deeper into her covers. I leaned over and kissed her forehead. Softly, Alyssa sighed and I tucked her hair behind her ears. Damn…she’s beautiful. I guess I'm back at the crossroads again.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj