Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey there! Thank you for all the great reviews! I'm glad you liked the last chapter!! I hope you guys like this one. Things are definitely going to get complicated coming up. Please review and let me know what you think!!! Have a great day!! :) Enjoy!
Whoever said sex complicates things…was absolutely right. Looking back I never should have slept with Alyssa. I guess I got caught up in the moment; everyone is entitled to those once in a while. But I jeopardized our friendship for one night of passion. Now, I’m not saying the sex wasn’t good because it was great…but that’s what makes this morning so much harder. After last night, I don’t want to leave because she lit something in me that I’ve pushed away for years now. She brought out a fire and passion inside of me that’s been gone ever since my break-up with Cameron.

I woke up over an hour ago and I’ve been sitting out on the balcony just thinking. Watching Alyssa sleep peacefully next to me was screwing with my head and I was tempted to just say fuck it and stay. That’s part of the reason I needed to be alone to just reevaluate where Alyssa stood in my life. I know without a doubt she holds a very special place in my heart and life. I’ll never forget the time spent with her in North Carolina. I just hope Alyssa understands what happened last night was meant too but it doesn’t change what needs to happen in two hours. I still have to get on that plane and head back to my life in California.

Looking over the beach one last time, I stood up and stretched my arms above my head. The smell of salt water was floating through the air and the beach was already starting to fill with people. I turned and softly opened the door. Scanning the room, my eyes landed on Alyssa’s sleeping form. She was completely wrapped in the blankets, snuggled down deep. Quietly, I maneuvered myself back into bed with her and pulled her to my chest. Gently, she started to stir and her eyes fluttered open. I’ll never forget this moment when her blue eyes shone so brightly this morning. She was breathtaking.

“Morning…” I said before lightly kissing her lips.

“Morning Justin…” She said with sleep laced through her voice.

I reached up and tucked a piece of hair that had fallen behind her ear. “How are you doing?”

“I’m great…How are you?” She said before letting a yawn escape her lips.

“Good…I don’t mean to rush you or anything but I really have to get going to the airport.”

A sense of dread passed through her eyes at the mention of me leaving. Neither of us was looking forward to this but when I was sitting outside I realized that my time in North Carolina had to come to an end. I had another life back in California that I needed to get back too, there were people counting on me and obligations I had to fulfill. Reality had finally caught up to me, there was no more running away.

Alyssa unraveled herself from the blankets and started to get her things together. A few minutes later we were walking downstairs towards the car when a familiar hand made contact with my butt.

“Good morning Mrs. Smith…” I said while turning around.

“Hi Justin. Are you leaving us?”

“Yeah, I have to get back to California…”

“Well, I hope you keep in touch with this lovely young woman. She’s been with you all summer.” She pointed towards Alyssa and began to lecture.

I interrupted her before it could get out of hand. “I plan on it…I’ll even give you a call once and awhile. I don’t need you finding a new man to torture.”

Mrs. Smith blushed slightly before extending her arms out. “It was great to meet you Justin. Take care of yourself.”

“You too Mrs. Smith. Have a great rest of the summer.” I said while enveloping her in a quick hug. Ever since our little heart to heart during the fourth of July bash, Mrs. Smith and I have developed a Grandmother-Grandson relationship. She definitely kept things interesting around here and I’ll miss her.

I reached back and grabbed Alyssa’s hand before proceeding out towards her car. I loaded all of my bags before hopping inside. The car ride was relatively quiet. Neither of us knew what to say and the only communication going on was through our intertwined hands. Gently, I would rub my thumb across her hand just to reassure her that it would be ok. I knew she was trying her hardest to stay strong.

Upon arriving at the airport I made sure to pull my baseball cap lower and threw a pair of sunglasses on. We only had a couple of minutes to say goodbye and I didn’t want it to be ruined if I was recognized. We walked hand in hand down the terminal towards security.

Alyssa tightened her grip on my hand once we reached the last check point. I turned slightly towards her and smiled softly at her.

“I guess this is it…” She murmured.

“I guess…listen, we’ll stay in touch and I’ll come and visit whenever I can.” I said sliding my fingers under her chin and lifting her head towards me.

“I know…I’ll miss you Justin.” She said before wrapping her arms around my neck.

“I’ll miss you too…” I said pulling her closer. “Take care of yourself Alyssa and don’t forget to call me.”

Alyssa let go of me and retracted her arms but not before placing her lips over mine. I let my hands slide into her hair and opened my mouth slightly to deepen the kiss. Knowing this would be the last time I kissed her in a long time, I couldn’t get enough. I was tempted to just pull her into a bathroom and go at it one last time…but I resisted that urge knowing it would just make things harder.

She pulled away and wiped the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes. I hated seeing her upset, especially knowing you’re the reason for those tears. “Please don’t cry Alyssa…we’ll see each other again soon.”

“I know, I know…I’m just being stupid. You should really get going if you want to catch the plane. Here…open this on the plane; it’s just something to remember this summer by.” She said while placing the envelope into my hands.

“Thank you…”

“No, thank you Justin. I had the best summer I could’ve ever imagined and I gained a new best friend out of the deal. I’ll miss you…” She said before giving me one last hug and kiss. Slowly, she released me from her grasp and turned to walk away. I watched her retreating form and let out a chuckle when she looked back and winked at me. I’m definitely going to miss that girl.

________________________________________________________________________

I arrived back in California a couple of hours later and was now en route to my house. I couldn’t wait to be home and back in the comfort of my own bed. Trace had called earlier wanting to know if I wanted to go out tonight but I was wiped after traveling and just wanted to chill at home.

I drudged all of my bags up my driveway before letting them land in a thud on the ground. Note to self…make sure Mike picks me up from the airport from now on because I don’t like hauling all of these bags. I turned the key and immediately was almost knocked over when Buckley and Brennan jumped on me.

“Hey guys…I missed you…” I cooed while petting them feverishly. They licked me and kept jumping up. Finally, I made my way inside and took a minute just to relish in the feeling of home. It was good to be home, not that I didn’t miss North Carolina but nothing compares to home.

I set my things down on the counter and the envelope Alyssa had given me before I left. I never opened it on the plane; I guess I was scared of the contents and how I’d feel after I read it. I figured it would be safer to read once I was home. I ripped the envelope open and emptied the contents onto the counter.

Immediately, my eyes were drawn to two pictures of us over the summer. One was taken at the Fourth of July bash. My arms are wrapped around Alyssa from behind and we’re smiling brightly into the camera. The other picture was taken at her house and we’re acting completely goofy making strange faces into the camera. That’s what I like about her, she’s not afraid to be silly. Those pictures are great memories and I’m glad I have something to remind me of the summer. The next thing that strikes me is a letter in Alyssa’s handwriting. I grabbed it before making my way into the living room to sit down and read it.

Justin,

Hi! If you’re reading this, it means you’re already hundreds of miles away from me. I don’t really know what to say except for thank you. I know that sounds cheesy but it’s true. My first job after college has been filled with wonderful memories and I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done.

It’s hard to say goodbye to you and know you’ll be on the other coast for months before I ever get the chance to see you again. But I know you’ll do great things while you’re there and if you ever need a dose of reality you know where to find me. I miss you already and know that I’ll never forget the summer we shared.

Love,

Alyssa

p.s. I love these pictures of us and I thought you might want something to remember North Carolina.


I smiled after reading at and all the memories we shared came flooding back to me. I reached for my phone and dialed the numbers to connect me back to her.

“Hello?” Alyssa said softly.

“Hey Lyssa…it’s Justin.” I said wondering why she was whispering.

“Hey Justin…you made it back?” She said in a hushed tone.

“Yeah…why are you whispering?” I asked.

She laughed. “Sorry I’m at Ryan’s house…hang on.”

I could hear shuffling around and finally a door shut.

“Ok…sorry. I just don’t feel like fighting with him and I know we would if he knew I was talking to you.”

I fucking hate that guy and I don’t know why she puts up with his bullshit. It’s like he tells her who she can and cannot be friends with. “Ok…”

“He’s just in one of those moods. So how was the flight?” She said.

“It was pretty boring. Thank you for the pictures and your letter…”

“Good, you opened it. I’m glad you like the pictures. I have them up in my house…I thought you might like some to have back in California.”

“Definitely…” I said while making my way back towards my bedroom. I was exhausted from today and I couldn’t wait to let my head hit the pillow.

“I miss you…” She said softly.

I felt my heart swell at her words. “I miss you too…”

“It’s weird not having you around anymore. I don’t know how many times today I wanted to walk upstairs and see what you were doing.”

“Really?”

“Yeah…but anyways…what are you doing tonight?”

I changed into a pair of pajama pants quick before pulling the covers back on my bed. “Actually, I’m just getting into bed. I’m dead ass tired and I have a meeting tomorrow with my managers, so I’m calling it an early night.”

“I see…well I’ll let you get some rest. I miss you Justin! Call me later!” She said.

“Will do. Bye Alyssa!” I said before hanging up the phone and setting it down on the nightstand. All my worries seemed to disappear from the morning; we could definitely jump back into being friends despite sleeping with each other. Hmm…a little friends with benefits never hurt anyone every once and awhile.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj