Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so I'm sorry for the whole lack of updating thing. First I got stalled because of life and then I got stalled because when I sat down to write the chapter I kept having different thoughts in my head. Ultimately, I hope you all enjoy and the better chapters are to come. As always, feedback is love.

I fumble through the keys in the bowl, looking for the BMW so I can quietly make it out of the house without him hearing me leave. It’s still early in the morning and the butterflies are still pounding loudly against my stomach. He’s been here for a week already and he has no intentions of leaving and although I’m not excited to have him around, I have a job to get back to.

I finally find the keys I’m looking for and head to work. Everything about this situation screams wrong but every morning I’ve woken up, I can’t fight the grin that exudes itself all over my face. It’s like without him, I’m just not me. He puts the smile on my face, he makes me want to laugh again, he makes me want to be happy, hell, he makes me feel like I have the right to be happy again.

I drive down the roads with nothing but the sun shining down on the car. I go through the motions of the drive and as I stop at the last light his song comes through the radio and immediately I get all giddy inside, knowing that he’s still at home, my home, and he never wants to leave.

Pulling into the parking lot, I park in my usual space and grab my things and head into the office building. I make my way to the elevator and press the button to the 15th floor and I plaster my face to resemble the one that states “ready to work” even though I want to be at home with him right now. 

Missy is sitting at her desk and as she looks up at me she smiles shocked, “Liz! You’re back, how are you?”

I nod, smiling “I’m really good. How are you?” I ask as I float through the mounds of messages that have been left for me. 

“I’m great, it’s so good to have you back. I’ll have to let Mr. Brown know that you’re back, he’s been wanting to go to lunch with you.”

I nod again, moving into my office, “Tell him I’m ready whenever he is.”

I move over to the computer and when I put my password into my email, I’m flooded with hundreds of messages. The little chat bubble continues to bounce up and down and I finally click on it to see who is messaging me.

jayman: did you honestly think I wouldn’t hear you leave this morning. I’m mad you didn’t say bye.

llahzil: I didn’t want to wake you up, I’m sorry. I had to go back to work at some point.

jayman: Nope, you could’ve just stayed in bed for forever, that would’ve been okay with me ;) 

llahzil: I’ll be home tonight, don’t worry about it.

jayman: That’s not soon enough

llahzil: You can wait, I promise.

Mr Brown walks into the room and I end the conversation with Justin.

llahzil: boss is here, have to go, love you

jayman: love you more.

“Liz, how are you?” Mr. Brown asks as he sits down in the chair in front of my desk. 

“I’m good, how are you, Mr. Brown?” 

“I’ve been okay, we’ve got some things to talk about.”

I look up at the man, confused by his statement and he proceeds.

“We really needed that lawsuit and I understand that it’s been resolved privately. Well, this obviously means some cuts for the company.”

I nod in response, “What are you trying to say, Mr. Brown?”

“Well,” he fumbles with his jacket pocket, “I think it might be time for us to let you go, Liz.” 

“What?” I question, the words having a hard time forming in my brain, “I’ve pulled in more revenue for the firm than any two people combined. You can’t do such a thing, Mr. Brown.”

“Liz, I think you’re better suited for a firm where your love life will not become an issue and cost money. I believe you’re a great lawyer but I think your time here has passed.”

I am furious at this, knowing he involved the one thing in my life that I have attempted to keep private, “Mr. Brown, I truly feel sorry for you. At this point, you’ll be lucky to find half as good of a lawyer as I am.”

“Sorry, Liz... Can you pack your things please?” 

I stand up, fiddling with the things on my desk, “My fucking pleasure.”

He leaves the office and I grab my things, placing them into the boxes in the closet and I begin to move them to my car. I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I hit the button on the elevator one last time and I look up to see Nick Evans is walking out of it.

“Hi Liz,” he states.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.” 

“Thanks for the job, it’s a really great chance.”

I move past the man and into the elevator. My mind is boiling over the situation and the fact that Nick Evans is taking my fucking job. I am absolutely positively livid. I get out of the elevator and get in the car, the last of my boxes in the back seat and I floor the engine to get home as fast as I can. 

I pull the car into the driveway, noting the odd car in it and I realize who it is at my front doorstep as I get out of the car. 

“This is private property, I think it best if you leave,” I state.

“I just need to talk to him,” she states.

“No, you don’t fucking understand, get off my property before I call the police.”

“It must drive you crazy inside, Liz. You know deep down he still has feelings for me and there’s nothing you can ever do to change it.”

“Right, Lauren. That’s why you cheated on the best thing to ever happen to you.” 

She rolls her eyes at me and continues to ring the doorbell. I move past her, key in hand and open the door, moving to slam it in her face but her hand holds out, preventing me from doing so.

“Fucking go, Lauren! This is my house, you have absolutely no right to be here.”

“Aw, Liz, don’t be mad, I know Nick took your job,” she states smugly flipping her hair over her shoulder.

“Go to fucking hell you bitch,” I can feel Justin behind me and I turn to look at the man, his face shocked.

“Why are you here?” He asks.

“I need to talk to you,” she states, her hands over her stomach.

He rolls his eyes, “So fucking talk.”

“I mean, do we have to in front of her?” She questions.

Justin moves his arm around me and pulls me closer, “Did you not come to her fucking house? She’s the biggest part of my life and if you have something to say to me, then you have something to say to her. If you can’t understand that or get that then I suggest you leave.”

“Well,” she states, “I’m not a hundred percent sure about this, but there could’ve been an error in the paternity test and I think we should have another one done in case it’s your child.”

He shakes his head, “I think one is good enough, but if you want to have Nick take it with you, maybe that will work better.”

A scowl forms on her face, “You know, I thought you cared.”

“If it was my kid, I would, but it’s not. So leave please.”

She moves towards her car and the door slams echoing throughout the house. I feel weak inside and cannot help but to crash down against it and begin to cry. He moves and sits down next to me, wrapping his arms around me.

“He fucking fired me and Nick has my job now,” I mumble between sobs. “I’m the best fucking lawyer in Tennessee and I’m fucking out of a job.”

He places a kiss on my forehead, “You can be my lawyer, I need one anyways with all the new record stuff coming up. I’ll pay you double your salary.”

My mind races inside, knowing that I never wanted something like this to happen. I established myself so if something with him ever happened I would still be able to support myself, I never wanted to have to rely on him. 

“Liz?” he questions.

And through my tears, for the first time, I hesitate, “I’ll think about it.”

He sighs and just pulls me into him. Knowing that it might be harder than anything for me to give up my pride. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story