Chapter Five.


As Alexa went to bed that night she felt safe, she had gotten to Johnny’s house in tears and asked to come here to Josh. Why she didn’t know, all she knew is that with him, she just felt safe. And even though she hadn’t known him for along time, there was something about him that made her feel at home.

They had gone back to her house to pick up some of her stuff, including the old shoebox under her bed. And as they’d packed her stuff, they’d realized that Alexa’s mother had gone, for good.

“Alexa?” JC’s voice said from the doorway. Alexa looked up and smiled at him.

“Hi Josh. Thanks for letting me stay here,” Alexa said looking around the room that JC had made up for his daughter. JC smiled and walked into the room.

“How are you finding things?” he asked sitting at the end of the bed. Alexa smiled at him and nodded.

“Good thanks,” she said, there was a brief moment of silence before JC spoke.

“Well I just came to say goodnight,” he said and leaned over to hug her.

“Good night Josh,” she said hugging him back. Then she crawled under the covers as he got up to leave the room. “Josh?”

“Yeah?” he asked stopping in the doorway and looking back at her.

“Thanks again. I’m sure Alexandra would be happy that you’re her dad, she’s really lucky,” Alexa said, JC nodded and smiled.

“Thank you Alexa,” JC said. “Good night.”

“Night Josh,” Alexa replied and closed her eyes, knowing that Josh would keep her safe.


JC smiled as Alexa closed her eyes and fell asleep. For a few minutes he didn’t leave, he just stood there watching her sleep. The girl seemed so peaceful and serene, he wondered what she’d done to deserve a mother like hers because she was one incredible girl.

He sighed and finally let himself leave, walking slowly to his own room. He walked into the room and flopped face down on the bed yawning. He couldn’t believe at what happened today, but he was now too tired to think about it. He smiled and tried to get up so he could go to the bathroom to but to no avail, he was too God damn tired. He let his eyes close then, and as he did so a feeling of relief came over him. He may not have Alexandra with him, but he had Alexa and something about that girl made everything okay.


JC walked quietly down the stairs and into the kitchen, it was still early but he couldn’t go back to sleep. He yawned as he walked into the kitchen and was about to turn on the coffee machine when he stopped in his tracks.

“Morning Josh,” Alexa said quietly from her stool by the center island.

“Morning Alexa,” JC said smiling at the girl’s presence, he was shocked to see her up. “Did you have breakfast already?” Alexa shook her head a no and smiled a t him.

“No I just woke up myself,” she said, and JC nodded.

“Cool,” he said regaining himself and walking over to the coffee machine, and turning it on. “So what do you want to eat?”

“What do you have?” Alexa asked, already getting comfortable with JC.

“Um, coffee?” JC asked laughing and opening up the fridge. “What about, let’s see, eggs? Toast?” He came back up with a tray of eggs in his hands and put it on the counter top.

“Yeah sure,” Alexa agreed. “But do you have any tea? Or juice? I don’t drink coffee.”

JC looked again in the fridge and pulled out a carton of orange juice. “Will this do?” he asked and Alexa nodded.

“Yeah thanks,” she said and JC smiled.

“Okay then,” he said pulling out a glass from the cabinet and pouring some juice into it. “Let’s get this thing started.” He put some bread in the toaster and started to prepare the eggs. “How you like your eggs?”

“Um, sunny side up?” Alexa asked JC nodded.

“Good, because that’s all I know how to make. That and pop tarts,” JC said and Alexa laughed. “Hey come on now it’s not that bad!”

“No, its kindda nice,” Alexa said, “I feel at home here, thanks again.”

“No problems,” JC said smiling at her politeness. “So what’s the plan for today?” Alexa shrugged and looked down at the table.

“I think Johnny wants me back in the studio today,” Alexa said softly and JC nodded.

“Okay, well why don’t we go over there after breakfast? Maybe then we can work on some of your songs I’m going to produce,” JC said finishing off making the eggs and putting them, along with the toasts, onto a plate. “Here you go, enjoy,” he said putting a plate in front of Alexa along with the juice. He poured himself some coffee and sat down with her.

“You’re not eating?” Alexa asked and JC shook his head.

“Nah, I’m not a breakfast person,” he said and she smiled.

“Neither was my dad,” she said softly.

“Not many men are,” JC said, then glanced at her. “Hey, after work today why don’t we go over to Justin’s? I think he’s having a barbeque, you can meet the other guys.”

“Sure, I’d like that,” Alexa said shyly, and JC smiled. “I’d like it a lot.” Alexa smiled back at him, he already made her feel at home and she liked that.


The day wore on and they were at Justin’s place for the annual barbeque. Alexa had found a good friend in Joey’s daughter Brianna and JC was standing with Joey watching the two girls.

“Is it just me or does she look like Alexandra?” Joey asked JC, who glanced at Joey and shrugged.

“I didn’t really notice, I mean we haven’t seen Alexandra in ten years so you can’t say that really,” JC said not wanting to get into the Alexa/ Alexandra conversation.

“So why is she staying with you then?” Joey asked and again JC shrugged.

“Her mother ran off,” JC said, and Joey looked at JC shocked.

“Really? Wow. Just like Laney huh?” Joey asked and JC nodded tentively.

“Yeah, just like her,” JC said looking back at Alexa. “She said she felt safe with me.”

“Well who wouldn’t?” Joey said patting JC on the back and laughing. “Damn, did she say why her mom ran of?” JC shrugged again.

“Something to do with her dad, I didn’t really get the details,” JC said not taking his eyes of Alexa, who was showing Brianna how to play the guitar.

“She’s really talented,” Joey said nodding towards the two girls and JC smiled in agreement.

“Yeah she is,” JC replied, Joey looked at his friend and smiled.

“You’re really taken by this girl eh?” Joey asked, JC looked at Joey and nodded.

“She reminds me of Alexandra,” he replied and Joey nodded.

“Yup, just like I said,” Joey replied. “Just like I said.”


“So you’re Alexa,” Chris said looking at the young girl with curly brown hair that he had been introduced to by Justin. “I’ve heard a lot about you, heard you play a mean guitar.”

Alexa blushed, “Yes, I’m Alexa and I play the guitar.”

“Cool, I’m Chris by the way,” Chris said shaking her hand then grabbing her in a big bear hug. “But don’t be so formal around me. So can I hear you play?” Alexa blushed again and picked up her guitar, never one to turn down a request.

“Um, okay. What do you want me to play?” She asked, hoping it was something she knew.

“Anything you want,” Chris said smiling and pulling up a chair so he could sit down.

“Okay...” Alexa said a bit hesitantly and began to warm up, as she did so Chris called the other guys over.

“Hey guys, come here Alexa’s gonna play us a little something!” He called and Alexa blushed, all the guys walked over to where the two were.

“You play guitar?” Lance asked coming up and sitting next to Chris. “I’m Lance by the way, and there talking to Jayce is Joey, and you probably know Justin and Chris obviously.” Alexa smiled softly.

“Hi,” she said and began strumming a few cords on the guitar.

“Okay then, why don’t you play us something?” Chris asked again settling down, “without any interruptions.” He looked at Lance who just shrugged, Alexa smiled.

“Sure,” she said and began her song.

“I may not be every mother’s dream for her little girl,
And my face may not grace the mind of everyone in the world,
But that’s all right as long as I can have one wish I pray.
When people look inside my life, I want them to say.

She’s got her father’s eyes, her father’s eyes,
Eyes that find the good in things, When good is not around,
Eyes that find the source of help, When help just can’t be found.
Eyes full of compassion seeing every pain.
Knowin’ what you’re going through, and feeling it the same.
Just like my Father’s eyes, my Father’s eyes, My Father’s eyes
Just like my Father’s eyes.

And on that day then we will pay for all the deeds we have done,
Good and bad they’ll all be had to see by everyone
And when you’re called to stand and tell just what you saw in me,
More than anything I know, I want your words to be,
She’s got her Father’s eyes, her Father’s eyes.”

When she was done all the guys clapped, including JC.

“That was, wow,” Chris said smiling broadly.

“Thanks,” Alexa said putting down her guitar. “It’s another song about my father, I didn’t really know him but my grandparents and mom said I have his eyes.”

“That’s really cool Alexa,” Lance said looking at his friends. “Right guys?” All the others guys were left speechless by this young girl’s insight, but they all nodded in agreement.

“Damn Jayce you got lucky,” Justin said after he got his voice back, and all the guys laughed. “I mean why couldn’t I have found her? Then I’d be her producer not you dude.”

“I guess I’m just lucky, right Alexa?” JC asked, his eyes smiling. Alexa smiled and nodded.

“Yeah I guess so,” she said shyly.

“What you produce for this little gem?” Lance asked, “I want to be a part of that too!”

“And me!” Chris called, and the others agreed.

“Well, I guess you’ll all have to talk to Johnny then, he’s her manager,” JC said and walked over to Alexa. “That was great; maybe if you want we can use it as a song on the new album?”

Alexa blushed and looked at him. “Are you sure? I mean it’s not really finished…” she began but JC shook his head.

“Yes I’m sure, I’ll run it by Johnny when he gets back,” JC said and Alexa nodded.

“Thank you Josh thanks a lot,” Alexa said, and this time she meant it.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc