Chapter Six.

Later on, after Justin’s big barbeque, which was a success seeing as Alexa got along with all the other guys, JC got the call he’d wanted for a long time.

“Josh?” Joel’s clearly unmistakable voice asked from the other end.

“Yeah?” JC asked, softly closing his bedroom door so Alexa wouldn’t hear him. “Anything?”

“Actually yes,” Joel replied, not hiding the smile in his voice. “We found Laney.”

“What? Are you sure?” JC asked excitedly and sat down on the bed to stop his legs from shaking. “Did she have Alexandra with her?”

“Yes we’re sure it’s her. They found her just out of county, but I’m afraid she didn’t have anyone with her, it was just her,” Joel replied, JC felt his good mood be drowned a bit.

“Oh,” he replied not bothering to sound excited because he wasn’t.

“But it’s a good thing Josh,” Joel tried to reassure him. “In fact we want you to come in and talk with her. She’s seeing one of our psychologists and they recommend that she talks to you first to get her on the right track.”

“Oh, well I think something can be arranged. She was diagnosed with a psychotic disorder when we were married, I forget what it is,” JC said trying to rack his brain to think of what Laney had.

“Paranoid Personality Disorder?” Joel asked, “They said she had that, it’s because she tends to have persuasive distrust in others, she claims it’s why she ran off with your daughter.”

“What that’s nuts,” JC said, “Why would she not trust me? I was so good to her.”

“I know Josh, but I think she was afraid of Alexandra’s safety, I think she feared you’d take her away from her,” Joel said and JC shook his head.

“I would never dream of it, I may have won the custody hearing but she was always welcome to see Alexandra, she knows that, I told her that,” he replied in disbelief. “So what are they going to do?”

“Well they want you to come in, not right away of course but sometime in the next week so they can get started with her treatment,” Joel said, JC nodded and ran a shaky hand through his hair.

“Yeah sure. Did she say anything about Alexandra?” JC asked and Joel sighed.

“No she didn’t, but I think she wants to tell you about it,” Joel replied. JC sighed and closed his eyes, was he ready to face his ex-wife? “Josh?” Joel asked and JC opened his eyes.

“Yeah? Um, okay why don’t you set up a time and call me? Anytime is good for me, just let me know,” JC said, and Joel agreed.

“Okay then, I’ll let you go. You have a lot to think about before then,” Joel said and JC nodded.

“Yeah I do. Thanks Joel, talk to you soon, bye,” JC replied wanting to get off the phone quickly, Joel must have sensed this because he said goodbye and hung up, leaving JC alone to figure out what in hell’s name he was going to say to Laney.


“Alexa?” JC asked peeping his head into the young girl’s room a few days later. Alexa looked up form her books and smiled at JC.

“Yeah Josh?” she asked not getting up. JC smiled and walked into the room.

“Um, I’m heading out for a bit,” he said looking at her. “I got a call from some people down at the station and they said they found my ex-wife, I have to go talk to her. Will you be okay here?” Alexa smiled happily at JC.

“They found your wife? That’s great; it’s the next step to finding your daughter right?” Alexa asked getting up and hugging JC. “Congrats Josh.”

“Thanks,” JC said blushing, “It’s not much but it’s a start, will you be okay here alone for a few hours?” Alexa nodded and waved him away.

“Yes, I’ll be okay. You just go and worry about finding your daughter,” Alexa said smiling.

“Okay I will,” JC said getting up and walking out; he stopped just at the door. “Well if there’s anything you need just give me a call okay? My numbers are on the fridge as are the other guys’ if you can’t contact me. Don’t open the door to anyone; I’ll lock up after me when I go.” Alexa smiled and nodded.

“Okay thanks, stop worrying about me so much,” she said laughing and JC blushed again.

“Yeah, but you’re like my daughter now. Over these past few days that we’ve spent together I’ve really felt connected to you, and I worry about you a lot okay?” JC asked, “Just I worry.”

Alexa smiled and walked over to hug him. “Well thank you for worrying Josh, but honestly don’t bother, go find you daughter. I hope you find her, you’re a great guy.”

“Thanks,” JC said hugging her back. “Well, um, I better go then. See you in a few hours okay? And don’t let anyone in.”

“Yeah I won’t don’t worry,” Alexa laughed, “Now go and bring home your daughter!” JC smiled and kissed Alexa on the cheek.

“You’re really special you know that?” he said, “I hope you find your father one day.” Alexa now blushed and waved him away.

“I hope so too, now go,” she said and JC laughed in defeat.

“Okay I’m going,” he said, “Bye.” He waved and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. As he left, he felt a tiny bit of disappointment. Over the past few days he’d grown closer to Alexa, forming a special bond with her and now he wished that by some miracle Alexa would be his daughter but he knew that would never happen.


JC walked into the small, darkened room and held his breath. He hadn’t remembered what she looked like very well, but once he laid eyes on her he knew it was her. From her frail, snaky figure to her rusty red hair, he knew that the woman he was looking at was his ex-wife, Laney.

“Laney?” JC asked walking up to her; she turned around in her seat, not bothering to get up and glared at him with an icy-stare.

“Yes Josh?” she asked, still remembering what she called him when they were married.

“Oh my god, I can’t…” he began his voice trailing off, but he was interrupted by a short, plump woman with black curls.

“Josh Chasez?” the lady asked, and JC nodded as he turned to face her. The lady smiled at stuck out her hand. “I’m Marie Hargrove, Laney’s therapist, so glad you could come. We have a lot to discuss.” JC smiled his million dollar smile and shook her hand.

“I’m glad I can help,” he said sitting down. “I’m sure there’s a lot to discuss.” He glanced at his ex-wife who turned her face away and continued to look straight ahead.

“Right then, why don’t we get started?” Dr Hargrove said sitting down and noticing the tension between JC and Laney. “Mr. Chasez, um, your wife...”

“Ex-wife,” JC corrected and Dr. Hargrove nodded.

“Yes, your ex-wife has been diagnosed with Paranoid Personality Disorder, which means she has a high amount of distrust towards people and finds it very hard to accept them, including myself,” the doctor began, “Now we’re here to discuss..”

“Where’s Alexandra?” JC cut in, not wanting to waste time and looking right at Laney. “Is she okay? Hell is she alive?”

“Mr. Chasez!” the doctor snapped and JC turned his head to face her.

“Sorry doctor, but I came here to find my daughter. I don’t care about anything else, so if you don’t mind let’s cut the bullshit and go straight to the issue here,” JC said and turned back to Laney. “Where is my daughter Laney?” Laney gave JC an icy stare but still refused to answer him.

“Okay Mr. Chasez,” Dr. Hargrove said and looked at Laney, “Laney…”

“What?” Laney snapped looking at the doctor.

“Where is Alexandra?” Dr. Hargrove asked softly and Laney shrugged looking at JC.

“I don’t know okay? The little brat ran out on me a few days back, when I found out you were looking for us,” Laney stated point blank, JC stared at her in awe. He couldn’t believe Laney had just said that about his little girl, he couldn’t believe that this was the woman who’d raised his child.

“Well do you at least have a picture of her?” JC asked trying not to get angry.

“Why? So you can go find her and take her from me?” Laney asked, “No thanks.”

“Well I would say it’d be better than living with you Laney,” JC snapped his cool totally lost. “After all you were the one who ran away with her AFTER the court granted me custody.”

“Well what did you want me to do Josh?” Laney yelled. “You would have taken her from me and I would have never seen her again!” JC looked at this crazy woman with disbelief and shook his head.

“No Laney, we both know I would have allowed you to see her when ever you wanted,” he said and Laney shook her head.

“Don’t bullshit me Josh. These people may not know you, but I know you, I know who you really are,” Laney snapped.

“Really? Then who am I Laney? Am I not the man you married? Because it’s been ten years, I doubt you know me,” JC snapped back.

“No Josh. You seem to be this nice, quiet man but deep down inside, once all the cameras are off you would have turned right around and snapped. Did you know he beat me?” Laney asked the doctor who gasped in shock.

“I did not, stop telling shit lies Laney. You know I was good to you,” JC said totally ignoring the doctor.

“Mr. Chasez is this true what Laney is saying?” Dr Hargrove asked and JC glared at her.

“Of course not! If it was true don’t you think you would know by not doctor? I am one of the most famous men in the world; don’t you think that people would know by now if I was a violent asshole?” JC asked and the doctor fell silent. “Yeah I didn’t think so. So Laney I’m going to ask you only one more time, and only once, where is my daughter?” He looked intently at Laney who refused to answer him, finally the doctor spoke.

“Laney, please for all our sakes. Please tell Mr. Chasez what he needs to know about your daughter so we can continue your treatment. Wouldn’t you feel a lot better knowing she was somewhere safe?” the doctor asked and Laney glared at her.

“She won’t be safe with him!” Laney snapped and JC rolled his eyes.

“Fine then Laney,” JC said, “At least do you have a picture of her?” Laney glared at him, considering.

“I told you, I’m not giving you a picture so you can go find her,” Laney snapped and JC stood up.

“Fine if that’s the way you ant to play it,” he said, “I’ll come back everyday until you give me a picture or tell me where she is, and I won’t give up so don’t even think about it. Doctor.” JC looked one last time at his ex-wife and walked out of the room, feeling that everything had just got a little bit harder than he wanted.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc