Author's Chapter Notes:

I know, I'm on a freaking roll with this one. Thanks to everyone who's been reviewing. This chapter ran so long that I had to break it up. Whoops.

 

 

Coloring books were scattered across the coffee table. The easy chair by the lamp was surrounded by sections of the Sunday paper. A sippy cup of milk trembled on the couch when a pink blanket floated through the air to land on the floor. From the small speakers came the catchy music from a Disney movie. And on the floor in front of the fireplace, Donna danced wildly, the blue skirt of her Cinderella dress twirling around her legs.

 

Lying on the floor nearby Heather attempted to sing along to the song playing. Her daughter's face was priceless as she skidded to a stop when the part she had chosen as hers approached.

 

"Who d'you think you're kiddin', he's the earth and heaven to you. Try to keep it hidden, honey we can see right through you. Girl you can't conceal it, we know how you're feelin' and who you're thinkin' of," Donna belted loudly before collapsing to the floor with giggles.

 

Heather reached over and scooped the giggling bundle into her arms, blowing a loud raspberry against Donna's cheek. "You big ham," she accused.

 

"Nuh-uh, Mommy!"

 

"Yuh-huh!" Heather returned. "You're singing like you're on Broadway or something!"

 

"Princesses always sing loudly," Donna defended with utmost seriousness. "Unless they're sad. Then they sing soft."

 

"Good idea," Heather said with a nod.

 

"But I'm happy, so I have to sing loud!" Donna shrieked. Before Heather could blink she had jumped to her feet again and began to dance.

 

Heather groaned when the CD player on the stereo skipped and the doo-wop of Hercules was replaced by the thumping bass of a dance song. She had forgotten this song was on the CD. Donna loved this song, possibly more than any Disney tune ever created.

 

Immediately Donna switched to what she called her 'big girl' dance. She clapped her hands to the beat and wiggled her hips so exaggeratedly that all her mother could do was giggle.

 

What a great way to spend a Sunday.

 

Ally had brought Donna home on the way back to church as per their routine and over a late breakfast of pancakes and sausage links Heather had listened with rapt attention as Donna told her everything that had happened at church. That had been followed by a load of laundry and the heart-wrenching search for Toots, the flop-eared purple bunny that Donna always slept with. He had been found in the kitchen, trying to break into the refrigerator. Then with her daughter's help she had counted her tips from the night before.

 

Justin was right; he was a big tipper.

 

Justin… She felt her cheeks grow warm just thinking of him. Of the gentle fingers that had managed to keep her still with just a caress. Of the soft timbre in his voice when he said her name.

 

How she wished he would call. She hated herself for even entertaining the notion that there could ever be anything between them. Despite the fact they had just met, she knew he was out of her league.

 

He was a decent guy. A nice guy. The quintessential guy-next-door who happened to be drop-dead gorgeous. They type of man that at one time she had dreamed of spending the rest of her life with.

 

But she had learned that nice guys were never really interested in her. At least not when the 'forever' part was involved.

 

Donna suddenly leaned over her and she smiled at the pursed lips. Small ands were clenched and rested on small hips. Though her face and posture was all seriousness, there was a playful gleam in her brown eyes.

 

"Now this is the part where the rap breaks down. It gets real intense no one makes a sound. Everything looks like it's 8 mile now! The beat comes back and everyone lose themselves," Donna recited perfectly before twirling away.

 

Heather flopped back on the carpet and cackled. She was partially mortified that her daughter knew the words that her daughter knew the words to an Eminem song but it was too awesome to put a stop to it. She was grateful that their rented house was in a cul-de-sac and the house next to them was vacant. Who knew what the conservative minds of Cedar Grove would think if they found that little Donna Lucas loved rap music.

 

The song ended and she sighed at the sudden silence. The quiet lasted only a two seconds and then a bundle of energy landed heavily on her stomach.

 

"Ow," Heather groaned, wrapping her arms around Donna nonetheless. She pressed several kisses to the proffered cheek and shared the happy grin when her daughter snuggled close. "What are we going to do today, my little snuggle bug?"

 

Donna shrugged. "Miss Ella ain't working today."

 

"Store's closed on Sunday," Heather confirmed. She had learned after only two days in town that everything was closed on Sunday except Eagle Tavern, McDonald's and the convenience store. "How would you like to go to Mommy's work and have some of Sarah's wings for lunch?"

 

"No." Donna shifted slightly and Heather sighed when she saw the thumb securely in her mouth. "Wanna see Mr. Timberlake."

 

"You're going to see him at school on Tuesday," Heather reminded her gently. "What's the matter, isn't Mommy good enough for you?"

 

"Yes," the girl promised with a giggle.

 

"Just keep remembering that." Heather rubbed their noses together before lightly patting Donna's leg. "Hop up and I'll see if a good movie is coming on today. We can paint our toenails after lunch."

 

"Can we go swing?"

 

Heather smiled indulgently. "Sure thing. After lunch."

 

The phone rang just as she was pulling a container of soup from the fridge. Pushing the door shut with one hip she looked at the caller ID and forgot how to breathe. Timberlake, J. Forcing air into her lungs she picked up receiver. "Hello?"

 

"Heather?"

 

"Speaking." God how she wished her name didn't sound so wonderful when he said it.

 

"It's Justin. I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

 

"No… Just about to warm up some lunch," she said. Still holding the soup she walked to the door and peered into the living room. Donna still sat on the couch. Thumb in mouth, Toots in her arms. Her eyes remained on the screen of the TV, engrossed in Cars.

 

"You haven’t started yet, have you?" Justin asked.

 

"No. I just took it out of the fridge." She wet her lips and ducked back into the kitchen.

 

"I was wondering if you and Donna wanted to go to McDonald's. My treat."

 

McDonald's. It had literally been months since she'd had a meal there. Aside from the occasional Happy Meal for Donna, it was more than the budget allowed. Her mouth watered and a craving for greasy fast food hit her so fast she nearly dropped the soup. Glancing down at the container she wrinkled her nose and she quickly set it down on the counter. "Your treat?"

 

"Sure. I'll even let you pick anything you want off the dollar menu," he informed. She could hear a grin in his voice and was able to tell that he was teasing.

 

"I…" Frantically she tried to come up with an excuse. There was no rational reason why she couldn't accept his invitation. Donna would get a kick out of the play area and the unexpected treat. And she would get a kick out of being able to look at Justin. "Let me check with Donna, okay? See if she'd rather have McDonald's or soup."

 

"McDonald's?" her daughter's voice suddenly chirped. Heather lurched and turned to see Donna was standing in the doorway. "We're going to McDonald's? For lunch? Really?!"

 

Heather tried to scowl at her daughter's exuberance but it was impossible. She heard Justin chuckle and realized it was useless to pretend anymore. "We'd love to."

 

"Give me your address and I'll swing by to pick you up."

 

"You don't have to go out of your way--"

 

"Unless you live twenty miles in the country it won't be out of my way."

 

As Donna bounced around with excitement, telling Toots that they were going to go to McDonald's, Heather rattled off her address. "It's--"

 

"The little brick house in the cul-de-sac," he interrupted. "You live two doors down from Momma."

 

His mother lived on her street? Heather blanched at the thought. "I do?"

 

"Yeah. She's got the Victorian with the oak tree. Just got it painted."

 

She nodded even though he couldn't see her. She knew the house well. It always seemed so cheery and warm, even though she'd never set foot inside. There was a swing in the oak tree and each time they walked past Donna told her that she wanted a swing in their yard. There were beautiful rose bushes that had been in full bloom since Easter and an abundance of flowers and shrubs. And always a lazy tabby cat sunning itself on the walk. "Yeah… Light yellow with green trim."

 

"I go there every Sunday night for dinner," he announced softly. Then he chuckled. "And two or three times during the week."

 

She wondered how it was their paths had never crossed. Surely she would have noticed him. "She must be a good cook," she said after a moment.

 

"The best. It'll take me about ten minutes to get there. Is that enough time for you to get ready?"

 

He sounded almost excited at the prospect of picking her up and it made her smile. "Yeah, that's plenty of time."

 

"See you soon, then."

 

After she hung up she looked down and realized she was still in the clothes she had worn to bed. A loose camisole and flannel lounge pants that had rubber ducks and bubbles. Her hair was a mess and she needed to brush her teeth. Seeing that Donna was still bouncing around, she cried out in horror. "Hurry up! He'll be here in a few minutes!" she exclaimed. Not giving Donna time to ask who, she scooped her up and rushed to the bedroom. "Here," she said, setting Donna on the bed and rummaging through the basket of clean laundry. She dropped a pair of jean shorts and a purple t-shirt on the bed. "Can you put this on while I fix my hair?"

 

"Who's coming, Mommy?" Donna questioned in confusion. She squealed when her nightgown was removed and dove under the comforter.

 

"Justin. I mean, Mr. Timberlake. He's taking us to McDonald's," Heather explained hastily as she went into the bathroom.

 

"Yay!"

 

Heather smiled at her daughter's squeal of excitement and began dragging her brush through her hair. With her free hand she grabbed her toothpaste and squeezed some onto her toothbrush. Barely letting it see the water she shoved it into her mouth. Tossing her hairbrush aside she rushed back into the bedroom, searching for clothes as she brushed her teeth.

 

Donna had one leg of in her shorts and was examining her belly button. "Mommy? Did the stork bite my tummy when he brought me to you?"

 

Heather rolled her eyes at the ceiling. "No sweetie, he didn't."

 

"Then where did this come from?"

 

"It… You… I… The stork got you from the cabbage patch and that was where your roots went into the ground." She wondered at her own crazy explanation when Donna's eyebrow rose in disbelief. "He did! He swooped into the cabbage patch and used his beak to break off your roots. Then he slipped you into the blanket and flew to where I was waiting."

 

"Did it hurt me?" Donna continued.

 

"Of course not. You didn't feel a thing," Heather promised. Her eyes moved to the clock and she thought she would scream. Dropping the armload of clothes onto the bed she charged into the bathroom once more to rinse her mouth. She grabbed her favorite clip from the basket by the sink and hastily pulled her hair up to keep it out of her face. "Are you ready?"

 

"Almost, Mommy."

 

Heather went back to the bedroom and saw one of Donna's arms had missed the sleeve of her shirt. Shaking her head, she helped right it before locating a tank top in the mound of clean laundry. "When we get back we need to get this stuff put away," she said to herself. "Then maybe I can find something when I'm in a hurry."

 

"I'm ready, Mommy!" Donna squealed.

 

"Do you know where your shoes are?" Heather asked hopefully, tossing her lounge pants towards the hamper.

 

"Uh-huh!"

 

Heather breathed a sigh of relief and listened to her daughter's bare feet slap against the hardwood floor of the smaller bedroom. She saw that it had been eight minutes since Justin's phone call and in her haste to slide her jeans on kicked the edge of her dresser.

 

"Damn," she squeaked, hopping on her uninjured foot as she pulled on her tank top. She caught her reflection in the mirror and groaned before tugging the garment off and throwing it aside. She'd forgotten that she hadn't shaved under her arms in a few days.

 

"Mommy! There's a truck in front of the house!" Donna shouted from the living room.

 

Heather leaned out the doorway of her room and saw Donna peering through the blinds of the front window. She noted that the girl had put her shoes on the proper feet. "A truck?"

 

"Yeah. It's Mr. Timberlake! He's here!" Donna backed from the window and hurried to the front door.

 

"Wait until he knocks-Donna!" Heather cried when small fingers grasped the deadbolt and unlatched it. Fear caused her heart to hammer in her chest and she rushed forward to keep her daughter from opening the door. Her worry increased when the door flung open and the late summer sunlight poured into the living room. Donna bounced from one foot to the other and called out to her new favorite person, who was heading up the walk.

 

"It's okay, Mommy. I made sure it was him," Donna promised.

 

"I know that, sweetie, but you don't just open the door…" Heather trailed, her eyes on their guest. She sucked her bottom lip between her teeth as a grin appeared on his face. She was staring and knew it but didn't care. It was impossible to look away from him. Especially when he wore those jeans and that beautiful blue t-shirt that made her think of his eyes… Which were covered with sunglasses. Damn him.

 

"We're ready!" Donna informed Justin as he climbed the steps to the front porch. Before his foot cleared the last step she moved forward to greet him with a hug.

 

"You are? What are you ready for?" Justin questioned, catching her easily. Heather's heart turned over itself when he swung her daughter up high before settling her on his hip. It looked so natural. As though he picked her up like that every day. He pulled his sunglasses off and placed them on Donna's face, causing her to squeal.

 

"McDonald's! I want the nugget meal. With fries. And milk! And can we get ice cream? Or cookies? Or an apple pie?"

 

"If your Mommy says it's alright," he promised.

 

"Mommy? Can I?" Donna requested, turning to look at her. With the large glasses covering her eyes it was impossible to see her full expression but Heather already knew what it was.

 

"We'll see. You have to eat all your Happy Meal first."

 

"That's easy," Donna murmured conspiringly to Justin. "Once I ate six whole nuggets and all of my fries and I still got ice cream!"

 

"Whoa, you did not!" Justin retorted. His eyes were wide with disbelief. "You probably can't eat two whole nuggets!"

 

"Yes I can! I love nuggets!" Donna folded her arms over her chest. "I can eat more than you!"

 

"Donna…" Heather chided softly. But neither of them paid attention to her.

 

"Oh yeah? We'll just see about that, missy," Justin decided.

 

"I'll win," Donna heckled with a giggle.

 

"It's on," Justin warned. There was a playful scowl on his face and Heather felt her heart flip again when he leaned close and rubbed his nose over Donna's.

 

"Eskimo kisses," Donna breathed in surprise. She returned the nose rubbing and giggled again when the sunglasses fell off her face. "I love Eskimo kisses!"

 

"They're the best kisses," Justin agreed. He kept his forehead against Donna's and Heather had to hold a hand over her mouth at the adorableness of the moment. Their eyes were locked in secret communication and never before had she seen her daughter so natural and relaxed with anyone but her. "You know what?" he whispered.

 

"What?" Donna was spellbound.

 

"They make me hungry." He patted his stomach with his free hand.

 

"Me too," Donna decided, patting her stomach as well.

 

"Ask your Mommy to go put on a shirt so we can go eat," he advised softly.

 

Heather gasped in horror and looked down. She had forgotten that she still wore her camisole. With crimson cheeks she turned away quickly. "You can wait inside," she offered meekly before bolting towards the bedroom.

 

When she came out a few moments later, nervously tugging at the hem of her t-shirt and still blushing with embarrassment, she found Justin lounging on the couch. The TV had been turned off and next to him Donna was going through one of the photo albums from the bookshelf.

 

"That's Mommy before the stork brought me," her daughter was saying. Heather's cheeks darkened further when she saw the picture. She had posed for the obligatory tummy shot at the baby shower her mother had given for her. Donna had been three weeks late and Heather knew she had resembled the Goodyear Blimp. Especially in the soft gray maternity dress she had been wearing.

 

She only hoped that her daughter hadn't started with the old pictures of Mommy taking a bath in Grammie's sink as a toddler.

 

"Look how happy she was," Justin murmured. His finger traced her face in the picture and Heather felt a tingle as though he were actually touching her skin. "She couldn't wait for you to come, could she?"

 

"She says that I was her miracle." Donna smiled and glanced up to see her mother. Immediately the photo album was slapped shut and she slid off the couch as Justin checked to make sure his finger was still attached to his hand. "Mommy! Let's go!"

 

He turned to look at her with that warm grin in place. "I didn't know you had a dolphin tattoo on your shoulder."

 

"Donna Elizabeth," Heather groaned.

 

"It was a picture from the beach," Donna defended with a small pout as she put the album back on the shelf. "I didn't show him the picture of you and me in the big bubble bath."

 

"…Big bubble bath?" Justin repeated. Heather thought her knees would give out at the suggestive tone of his voice. Her breath hitched when he winked.

 

"Long story."

 

"Can we go now?" Donna asked plaintively. Then, remembering her manners, she hastily added, "Please?"

 

"Her car seat," Heather remembered as she looked for her purse. "She can't ride without a car seat."

 

"I have one in the truck that she can use," Justin assured as he stood up. "Trace's nephew always wants to go fishing with us so I got a seat for him. He's about her size."

 

"Okay," Heather relented. She wasn't sure she had enough gas to get to McDonald's and back.

 

"My sweater," Donna remembered suddenly. She leaned on her tiptoes to reach the hook near the door and carried the sweater to Justin. "Can you help me?"

 

"You don't need it right now," Heather said. When Justin glanced at her with amusement she became conscious of the fact that he had said the same words.

 

"Jinx," he whispered as he scooped Donna up once more. He took her sweater and carefully draped it over his arm. "Did you know that there are magical fairies that get into my truck when I'm not looking?"

 

"There are?"

 

Heather smiled with amusement and pleasure as she followed him out onto the porch. She listened to his tale of creatures that left candy and treats in the car seat that was strapped inside his truck and enjoyed her daughter's delighted laughter as she locked the door. When she turned she saw him going down the steps, Donna secure in his grasp. A small arm wrapped around his neck and fingers clutched his shirt and she felt tears gather in her eyes at the beautiful simplicity of the moment.

 

This was how it was supposed to be. Impromptu trips to McDonalds and magical stories. Squeals of laughter and skipping down the front walk. Bright smiles and happy expectations and the blissfulness of knowing that tomorrow would be just as perfect.

 

She quickly brushed her tears away and hurried down the steps. The truck was four-door and Justin was leaning in the rear door to strap Donna into the seat. She heard his laughter and her excited talking as she approached and had to pause to brush away more tears.

 

"Mommy! The fairies left Roll-Ups!" Donna announced, waving three shiny-wrapped treats. "Mr. Timberlake told me I could have them!"

 

"Did you--"

 

"Thank you," Donna intoned before her mother could finish the question.

 

Justin grinned and tightened the straps of the seat slightly before stepping back and shutting the door. "That's okay, isn't it?"

 

"Absolutely," Heather promised. Oh, God. She was going to cry again. If he did or said something else that was sweet she would burst into tears.

 

"Good." His eyes met hers and she returned his smile as she reached for the door handle. "Here, let me get it."

 

She somehow managed to keep her jaw from dropping in surprise. Never before had someone opened a door for her. There had been the times when someone leaving or entering a building before her would hold it briefly, but never this. "Thank you," she managed to whisper.

 

"Here, it's a high step," he explained. Taking her hand in his he held on gently as she climbed into the truck.

 

She was glad that he shut the door. Her hands were so shaky she wouldn't have been able to grasp it. Leaning back against the headrest she drew in a deep breath and hoped she would be able to keep the tears at bay. At least until she could duck into the bathroom at McDonald's and cry in peace.

 

Something told her that crying in front of Justin would only bring out more sweet qualities.

 

As she buckled up and the engine roared to life she kept her gaze straight ahead, smiling at the sudden blast of Hank Williams and the cool burst of air conditioning.

 

He turned the volume down and glanced over at her. "What kind of music does Donna like?"

 

"There's a tear in my bear 'cause I'm cryin' for you dear!" Donna sang loudly.

 

"You are on my lonely mind," she and Justin crooned in unison.

 

"She likes anything," Heather said lamely while Donna continued to sing.

 

"She knows Hank," Justin murmured in surprise.

 

"You name it, she probably knows it." Heather shrugged. "She loves music. And McDonald's."

 

"A girl after my own heart," Justin decided, dramatically placing a hand over his chest before pulling away from the curb.

 

- - -

 

"How many was that, Mommy?"

 

"Seven." Heather shook her head in wonder. Never would she have dreamed she would become the judge of an eating contest.

 

"It was eight," Justin corrected.

 

"Seven. The one you dropped on the floor doesn't count as being eaten."

 

"How many have I had, Mommy?"

 

Heather glanced at the open box in front of her daughter. "Eight."

 

Donna grinned triumphantly before picking up the next nugget. "This is nine?"

 

"That's right."

 

"She cheats," Justin accused after taking a long sip of his drink.

 

"She didn't eat a Big Mac and large fries before starting on her nuggets."

 

"Exactly. She's cheating."

 

"Such a wonderful thing for her teacher to say," Heather said. "You challenged her to this. That's probably even worse."

 

"Nine!" Donna announced loudly. She picked up her drink and slurped the straw noisily. Then, picking up her last nugget, she glanced at Justin slyly.

 

"Unbelievable. I'm losing to a four year-old."

 

"You can forfeit. We won't think badly of you," Heather promised with a smile. She was amazed that Donna had eaten as much as she had and hoped it wouldn't mean an upset stomach later. But she kept insisting she was still hungry.

 

"I refuse to forfeit."

 

Donna turned to her mother. "What's that mean?"

 

"It means he's just a boy and that boys hate losing to girls."

 

"It does--" Justin cut off and shrugged. "Especially four year-old girls."

 

"This is ten," Donna told him. "How many do you have?"

 

"Eight."

 

"Seven," Heather corrected.

 

"Eight."

 

"There are two in your box and one on the floor. Don't tell me they put more than ten in that box."

 

"They might have…"

 

"What is riding on this challenge anyway?" Heather looked to Donna. "Did he promise you something if you win?"

 

"It's a secret."

 

"Does he get something if he wins?"

 

"That's a secret too."

 

"When did all this take place?"

 

"When you were putting on your shirt." Donna bit into her last nugget and chewed thoughtfully.

 

"If she grows up and becomes a bookie, I'm going to blame you," Heather warned with a glance at Justin.

 

"Admit it, Heather. This is the best fun you've had since moving to Cedar Grove," he jibed.

 

That was definitely true. She couldn't remember an afternoon that had been filled with more laughter. Instead of replying though, she gave a quick shrug and began to gather her trash. They had gotten drinks first and sat at an empty table in the play area, talking as they watched Donna climb to the top and explore every corner of the tower. He had suggested that, saying that he didn't want to risk her getting a stomachache from playing too soon after eating. She still marveled at how quickly he had gotten her to put her shoes back on.

 

No 'five more minutes.' No 'we're leaving right now.' Just a simple 'we have a bet to settle' and she had popped down the slide so quickly Heather had been speechless.

 

The meal had been leisurely and thoroughly pleasurable, with intermittent taunts about the nugget war. After completing her Happy Meal Donna had declared herself ready and Heather's heart had done that strange little tumble when Justin had taken her daughter's hand and they marched to the counter to order their boxes of nuggets.

 

She noticed that Justin was eating the last of his fries and that Donna had finished her last nugget. Looking at the two remaining pieces of chicken in front of Justin, she grinned when she heard him groan in defeat. "How does it feel to lose to a four year-old?"


"Sickening," he mumbled. But there was laughter in his eyes. He looked to Donna. "You win, sweetheart."

 

"I won!" Donna shrieked. Heather felt her cheeks burn when the other diners turned to see what she was screaming about. Donna threw her arms up in the air in victory and leaned back in the booth with a wide grin of satisfaction.

 

"Atta girl, don't gloat," Heather murmured, leaning to place a congratulatory kiss on her cheek. "Do you want anymore milk?"

 

"No. I'm full."

 

"About time," Heather mused. She handed over a napkin and was about to carry the trash to the trashcan when Justin slid out of the booth.

 

"Be right back," he promised. Then, whistling the song that he and Donna had sang on the way to the restaurant, he picked up the tray and sauntered away.


"Damn," Heather breathed. If she didn't know better she would suspect him of reading her mind.

 

"I like him, Mommy. He's funny."

 

"Mm-hmm." Heather's eyes were glued to him and the way his t-shirt stretched over his back as he dumped the trash. A crumpled napkin fell to the floor and he bent to retrieve it and she cursed her immaturity at the enjoyment she received from staring at his backside. His shirt rode up slightly and she got a thrilling glimpse of the waistband of boxers before he straightened.

 

"Mommy?"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I have to go pee."

 

All stirrings of desire that had begun left abruptly. Heather hopped up and waited as Donna scrambled from the booth. Justin returned, still whistling, and she excused herself and her daughter. Smiling when he told her there was no rush, she started towards the restroom at the impatient tug of Donna's hand.

 

Something made her glance back.

 

He was watching her. He wasn't doing it covertly or slyly, either. One arm draped over the back of the booth and after another glance she saw that his intense gaze was on her backside. Unconsciously she added more sway to her hips and refrained from looking back until she reached the door of the restroom.

 

His lips were still pursed from his whistling but she knew he made no sound. When their eyes met she heard his low wolf whistle from across the restaurant.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story