Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's Part Two :)

"I can get her."

 

"Nah, I've got her." Justin slipped Donna's sleeping form from the car seat and held her close to his chest.

 

Heather hopped down from the truck and pushed the door shut gently. One look at him and she saw that he did indeed have her. Even though she was fast asleep, Donna had slid one arm around him and in the late afternoon light she would have sworn that her daughter was smiling. Leaning up, Heather smoothed the tousled blonde locks and was rewarded with a sleepy sigh. "She'll probably sleep all night."

 

"That's good, right?" Justin asked softly, falling into step beside her.

 

"Very good. Despite being the best babysitter in town, Ally tends to indulge Donna when she's the only one. I'm sure they were up till all hours watching movies."

 

"Disney Princesses?"

 

"Actually, no," Heather answered, digging into her purse for her keys. "She likes them, but when she has someone to watch a movie with she wants something more active."

 

"James Bond?"

 

"Not that active." Heather rolled her eyes. "She likes the Pirates movies. And Harry Potter. And she loves Will Smith." She unlocked the door and stepped aside so he could enter first. As she'd suspected, Donna's fingers curled possessively in the shoulder of his t-shirt.

 

"Which room?" he murmured. His hand rested on Donna's back gently.

 

"This way." She led him down the hall to the small bedroom across from hers, hoping he wouldn't peek into her own and see the mess of laundry. She leaned in the doorway as Justin carried Donna to the bed and bit down hard on her bottom lip when he squatted to remove her shoes. Once they were on the floor by her bed and her blanket was pulled up to her chin, he brushed a finger across the child's cheek.

 

"Sweet dreams," he whispered. He kissed his fingers and pressed them to her forehead.

 

Heather turned and stepped into her room to retrieve Toots. The purple bunny was hogging her pillow and had crept under the comforter. After shutting her bedroom door she carrying it back into her daughter's room and found Justin staring down at Donna. Hands in his pockets, his face was serious. Thoughtful.

 

"She needs this," she murmured. About to tuck the bunny next to her daughter she paused and held it out to Justin.

 

He quirked a smile and took it, long fingers smoothing over the plush fur. Leaning over he carefully tucked it next to Donna, making sure that the bunny was under the blanket as well.

 

Heather smiled slightly at the tenderness he exuded. When he backed from the bed she crouched to kiss her daughter's cheeks, as per their routine. Giving her a soft Eskimo kiss, she whispered a prayer.

 

Justin followed her to the living room. She kicked her shoes off near the door and placed her keys in her purse before looking at him. He stood near the couch, rubbing the back of his neck. He was probably ready to go. With her daughter exhausted from McDonald's and a walk through the park, Heather faced a lonely night.

 

"Would you like some coffee or anything?" she offered. "I only have instant, but…"

 

He smiled and his body visibly relaxed. "That'd be great."

 

While she waited for the water on the stove to boil, she gathered cups and spoons. She expected him to wait in the living room but he joined her in the kitchen, leaning against the counter as though he had been in her kitchen countless times. Standing by the sink she watched his hand return to the back of his neck. "Not used to carrying around a four year-old?"

 

"Not hardly," he answered. "Guess I need to get used to it soon though."

 

"Have a seat," she suggested as the kettle began to whistle.

 

He was lounging in Donna's chair when she brought the coffee to the table. Learning that he preferred sugar and cream, she added both to his before dumping sugar into hers before dropping into her usual chair. He sighed with approval after taking a sip. "Good instant coffee."

 

"There's no such thing as good instant coffee. But it's warm and has some caffeine…" She set her cup down when his hand went to rub his neck again. "Sit up." She slipped out of her seat and moved to stand behind him. She had to rub her hands together and take several deep breaths to garner enough nerve but finally reached to gently rub the base of his neck.

 

Justin groaned slightly and let his head fall to the side. "Damn." Her fingers paused; she thought she had hurt him. But he leaned his head back slightly to meet her eyes. "It feels good."

 

Heather smiled and resumed her gentle kneading. Her thumbs eased beneath his t-shirt, carefully manipulating the bunched muscles. "I didn't realize you were so tense," she murmured thoughtfully. "Or was carrying Donna around all day that demanding?"

 

"I loved every minute of it."

 

The tone of his voice refused any contradiction. "I know she can be irritating sometimes…"

 

"No, she wasn't. Even when she was gloating about beating me she was still sweet. I doubt that girl could ever have a bad day."

 

Heather's fingers paused as she vividly remembered Donna curled on her bed and crying. Her attempts at calming her had been useless and she had been forced to endure her daughter's shattered innocence. She recalled her anger at the situation. At the person who was solely to blame.

 

"Hey…" Justin's fingers were tapping hers. Heather shook her head slightly to clear away the disturbing memories and found he was looking up at her with concern. "You spaced out on me. Everything okay?"

 

"Fine," she whispered. "Sorry."

 

"I thought I'd pissed you off." His fingers slid over hers in the softest of touches.

 

"You didn't." She continued working her fingers over the tight muscles. "Donna has had her bad days, though. When she doesn't have enough sleep or is coming down with something, for example. But you're right. She does stay sweet. Most of the time."

 

"Don't stop," he groaned. Heather's breath caught when he leaned forward and rested his head on the table. Exposing his entire back to her.

 

"Kind of awkward with the chair in the way." She laughed and playfully tugged at his shirt. "Go into the living room and stretch out so I can reach you properly. I'll be there in a minute."

 

"You're going to spoil me, Heather." He chuckled and got to his feet. After grabbing his coffee he gave her a lingering look then headed into the living room.

 

If she were a drinking woman; she would need one now to give her the strength to follow him.

 

- - - -

 

"Right there?" Heather whispered.

 

Justin groaned in response and managed a nod. "Right there," he rasped. "God, don't stop." He was whining but he didn't care. He couldn't remember the last time his body had felt so good. Her weight rested gently against his thighs and each time she bent forward her warm breath rushed over his skin like velvet. His shirt was draped over the arm of the couch. Warm soft hands that were still moist from the lotion she'd applied to his sunburnt shoulders worked the bunched muscles of his lower back. Chin rested on his folded arms, he was grateful that he was lying facedown. If she knew what her massage did to him she would probably be grossed out. Or maybe it would turn her on. He felt the pressure in his crotch tighten.

 

"You're supposed to relax," she reminded him gently. One hand slid up his back to smooth over his shoulder.

 

"I'm relaxed."

 

"Then why do you keep clenching your muscles?" she asked. He felt her shift on his thighs and swallowed a moan when her backside rested against him fully. "What?"

 

"Do you know what you're doing to me?" he blurted. He did. She was driving him crazy. She was filling his mind with erotic thoughts; thoughts that he hadn't had in over a year.

 

A year. No wonder he was so worked up.

 

"I'm massaging your back," she answered simply.

 

God. Could she really be that naïve? He turned his head slightly and looked back at her. No playful innuendo in her eyes. No suggestive curve to her lips. Just a sweet smile and complete decorum. Like giving a man a massage on her couch was a natural occurrence.

 

Why did he feel the bite of jealousy when he thought of her hands on someone else's back.

 

"It feels really good," he offered when her brows rose in question. Lame, his mind scorned while he rested his forehead on his arm. One would think he'd never been alone with a woman before. He could remember when it was easy to engage in playful banter that led to more intimate goings on. He reminded himself that in college it had taken only a look and a half smile to keep a woman by his side. And he assured his worried mind that not all of them had been drunk. None of them were. That was a promise he had made before starting college and had kept. No taking advantage. This probably explained his singular lack of hook-ups.

 

But he'd been too busy with classes and sports to really care. Occasionally he had dragged himself from his books to go to a frat party and more often than not those nights had ended with at least a steamy make-out session in his car. His friends had teased and told him he was weird.

 

Then one day while walking across campus he had spied her.

 

"Are you asleep?"

 

Heather's soft whisper made him lift his head. Her body was leaning against his back. Her hands were on his arms. Wondering when she had moved into that position he cleared his throat. "No, I'm not asleep."

 

"I was beginning to think that my company was boring," she admitted with a soft laugh that ruffled the hair at the nape of his neck. She sat up and smoothed the hair gently.

 

He'd called his uncle about getting a cut before school started. Now he wasn't so sure. "You're not boring," he promised. "You're just a damn good masseuse."

 

"Glad you enjoyed it." Her fingertips paused on his shoulder and he closed his eyes when she traced the gothic cross on his upper arm. "That's really good. Did you get it done in town?"

 

"Fairview," he answered. "Trace and I went together."

 

"When I can afford it, I want to get someone to recolor my dolphin. He's getting faded."

 

Justin held his breath as she slid off his thighs. Was it his imagination or had she just groped his ass? He smirked slightly and slowly rolled onto his back before sitting up. Heather was gathering their coffee cups. "How long have you had it?"

 

"Almost ten years. I got him when I graduated high school."

 

"Him?" he repeated.

 

"Well I didn't want to think of having a female on my back," she told him with a shake of her head. "How long ago did you get your cross?"

 

"Few years ago. I was going to get an armband. Trace got one and was crying so I decided to be safe." He shrugged and reached for his shirt. The room was dim with the last light of the day. She flipped on a lamp and he blinked at the unexpected light.

 

"Sorry," she apologized and immediately the lam was turned off. "Want some more coffee?"

 

He nodded, grateful for the opportunity to stay a little while longer. His eyes followed her from the room and he was once again transfixed by the sway of her hips. He thought about whistling again as he had in McDonald's, but something held him back.

 

She returned shortly with two steaming mugs and when he tasted his it was perfect. She settled in the corner of the couch with her knees to her chest, bare feet resting on the cushion between them. Her toenails were painted with vivid red polish that sparkled slightly in the low light. She must have seen him looking because she wiggled her toes. "Donna's handiwork."

 

"She's good," Justin approved. He remembered seeing the same polish on the girl's toes when he'd put her in the bed.

 

"She loves doing girly things like that. She won't paint her fingernails. But she likes our weekly pedicures. And whenever I use my green mask she has to have some too." She laughed at a private memory. "I think I have a picture or two of her wearing the mask. She always wants the full treatment so I put her hair in rollers and give her cucumber slices for her eyes."

 

"When I send home an assignment saying she has to bring a picture of herself from home, you have to send that picture."

 

"Oh no, she'd be mortified. She'd be upset if she knew I told you." Heather's face softened. "She really likes you, Justin."

 

"I'm glad. I really like her too." He sipped more of his coffee and it occurred to him that he should put his shirt back on. But he was too relaxed and comfortable and she hadn't said anything. So his shirt remained off.

 

"I just hope she doesn't cause trouble for you in school."

 

"How do you mean?"

 

"You know… Taking her to McDonald's, coming to her house…" Heather shrugged. "Would that be considered a conflict of interest or anything?"

 

"I'm not taking her out on dates," Justin informed. "There won't be any problems, I promise."

 

"You're sure?"

 

"Very sure." Was she worried that he might get in trouble? Did she really care that much? Already?

 

"Good. Because I know she'll want to do it again. And you know how kids are once you do something with them…"

 

"Give them an inch, they take a mile." He nodded in understanding. "I'm definitely going to want to take you both out again. I've had a lot of fun today, Heather."

 

"So have I," she murmured.

 

He watched the hand that rested on her knee. Fingers that had so easily rendered him useless plucked at the fraying material of her jeans. "So… Say I wanted to go out to dinner without Donna. Would that be a problem?"

 

"I don't see why she would have a problem if you ate out and didn't take her." He saw confusion in her eyes.

 

She obviously didn't understand when he was trying to suggest something. He cleared his throat and decided to give it to her straight. "What if I wanted to take you out to dinner? Would she be alright with Mommy going on a date?"

 

"A date?" she repeated. "As in you and I go out for dinner and a movie or whatever? And she stays at home?"

 

"Well I'm hoping that she would have a babysitter, but yeah, that's the general idea." His fingers were gripping the handle of his mug. He realized that he really wanted her to say yes.

 

"I… I really don't know how she'd feel about that."

 

"How would you feel about it?"

 

He saw her cheeks darken slightly. "I'd like it."

 

"I would too," he admitted with a sigh of relief. She hadn't exactly said yes, but she hadn't turned him down either.

 

"I haven't gone on a date in years," she murmured suddenly.

 

He chuckled. "I'm rusty at it myself." He settled back, more relaxed than he had been earlier. "Where would you like to go?"

 

"Gosh, I don't know. Dinner like you suggested?"

 

"Sounds great. What do you like to eat?" He wondered what her idea of dinner was. He'd have to look up the restaurants in Fairview and find a place that would be suitable for a first date. And get his suit cleaned. And--

 

"Something simple," she said, as though reading his mind. "I'd be happy with a pizza, Justin."

 

Scratch the trip to Fairview and cleaning his suit. "Antonio's has great pizza."

 

"So I've heard." She smiled and suddenly he wished the lamp was on so he could see her face fully.

 

"Don't let him fool you, though. Tony was born and raised right here in Cedar Grove. He worked for a pizzeria in New York one summer and came back with an Italian accent."

 

Heather laughed and he felt her foot lightly push against his thigh. "That's horrible."

 

"It's true! Momma went to school with him. He had this big idea of becoming an actor and went to New York to get his big break." Justin didn't mean for his hand to fall on her foot. He really didn't. But she didn't pull back and he idly smoothed his fingers over her skin.

 

"But he did get his big break. Antonio's is always packed," she reminded him.

 

"True," he relented. He carefully lifted her foot onto his thigh, reveling in the contact. "What's your schedule look like this weekend?"

 

"I'm off Friday and Saturday and work Sunday." He felt her heel dig lightly into his thigh as she leaned backwards. "Close your eyes, I'm going to turn on the light."

 

When his eyes had adjusted to the sudden light he finished his coffee and glanced slyly at the clock. Almost eight. He had spent seven hours with Heather and still wasn't ready to leave. He knew he should at least say something about going home but couldn't bring himself to utter the words. He felt her toes brush against his bare chest and had to hold back the unexpected shiver. He gently rubbed the heel of her foot and leaned back to look at her again. "Saturday good for you?"

 

"Perfect. Donna stays over with Ally every Saturday so she can go to church with her." She flexed her foot under his gentle touch. "I would take her myself but I have to work nearly every Saturday night…"

 

"Yeah, I understand. But you let her go, that means something."

 

"She loves it too much for me to keep her from going."

 

He nodded, noting her eyes drooping closed as he continued to rub her heel. "You're not going to sleep on me, are you?"

 

"Not hardly. Looks like you're a good masseuse too," she murmured.

 

"I'll do your back after our date Saturday," he offered.

 

"I'll bring the lotion," she agreed with a smile. "Do you want something to eat? I'm getting hungry…"

 

"I could do with some food."

 

- - -

 

They sat at the table and he talked about school and his decision to become a teacher while the leftover chicken fettuccini warmed in the oven. She was the first person aside from his family who was interested in what had driven him to go into education. The sliding glass door leading onto the small deck was open and the soft tones of wind chimes came in with the breeze.

 

"It wasn't some big revelation," he admitted after tasting her iced tea. "My freshman year I just did the basic classes and kept my grades up so I could play basketball. One day during practice I tripped and ended up breaking my knee. That put an end to college basketball and my dreams of being in the NBA."

 

"That was your life dream?" she questioned, moving to check on the fettuccini.

 

"Yeah. I was going to become famous and have all the major endorsements. And a big mansion and fancy cars." He rolled his eyes. "I was going to be the next Michael Jordan."

 

"So what happened after you broke your knee?"

 

"Well, immediately after I was cussing up a storm--"

 

"I mean after you found out you couldn't play ball anymore," she intervened. And even though she was behind him he knew she was rolling her eyes.

 

"I met with my counselor and she read this long list of careers. Some of them were really weird and some sounded so boring that I wanted to cry. We talked for hours and finally she suggested teaching." He could still remember his disbelief at the very idea. Him, a teacher? It had seemed so impossible. "I figured, hey, I was good with kids and it sure beat sitting in a stuffy office all day."

 

Heather was rattling around inside a drawer. "How did you get to teaching Kindergarten?"

 

"Last year I was the assistant for one of the teachers here. She taught for fifty years and was just amazing with the kids. I fell in love with all of them. They were so young and just craved knowledge. When she told me she was retiring I put in for a job here. I didn't really expect to replace her, though. I figured they'd put someone more experienced in Kindergarten. But I did the interviews and all the paperwork and found out I had the job back in May." Justin turned to see Heather pulling plates from a cabinet. Feeling guilty just sitting there he got up and crossed the small kitchen.

 

"Thanks," she murmured when he picked up potholders to carry the hot fettuccini to the table. "Wait, I need to add some parmesan." She leaned to retrieve the green canister that sat behind him on the counter. "I'm glad you got the job, Justin. I've never seen Donna attach herself to someone so quickly. I hope she's like that next year, too."

 

"She will be," he promised. He stood there holding the steaming dish long after she had added the parmesan cheese. Staring at her. It seemed only natural to lean to one side and step forward. It seemed even more natural to dip his head and brush his lips over her cheek. "You've got the plates and forks?"

 

"Yeah," she breathed as he lifted the dish higher and stepped away.

 

It took her a moment to get to the table. It was long enough for Justin to set the food down and press his fingers to his lips. Wanting to seal the sensation in his memory. When she set his plate and fork in front of him he noticed the nervous smile on her face. "Hey," he murmured, catching her hand in his before she could step away. "I didn't freak you out did I?"

 

"No," she whispered, her cheeks turning pink.

 

"You're sure? I don't want to upset you or have you thinking I'm some creep."

 

"If I thought you were a creep you'd have a pot of hot fettuccini down your pants," she informed him seriously. Her hand squeezed his gently before he slipped away to take her seat.

 

Justin knew he had a goofy grin on his face as he ate. But when he looked at Heather he didn't care.

 

She had one, too.

 

- - -

 

"I should probably get going."

 

Heather nodded sadly at his words even though he couldn't see. After dinner they had gone out onto the deck and settled in the Adirondack chairs. The muggy heat of the day had given way to a cool breezy night. Each time she looked up at the sky she was amazed at how close the stars seemed in Cedar Grove. The pine trees bordering the edge of the yard whispered in the wind and the wind chimes she had hung more often than not interrupted their conversation. She heard the ice in his glass rattle softly and glanced in his direction.

 

"It's getting late," he went on.

 

"Yeah," she agreed softly. She heard the gentle thump of glass against wood and felt around for her own glass. Her hands brushed denim and she cried out in surprise when long fingers wrapped around hers.

 

"Sorry," Justin mumbled. With a gentle grasp he helped her to her feet.

 

"You just surprised me," she explained, feeling stupid for acting so skittish. There was nothing to fear. Not now.

 

He still held onto her hands. "I'll see you Tuesday."

 

Not a question. A positive statement. "Yes."

 

"Do you work tomorrow?" he asked. His thumbs brushed softly over the back of her hands and she closed her eyes.

 

"No. I don't go back until Wednesday night." She had asked Jim for the time off so she could make sure Donna adapted to the schedule of going to school. The resulting lack of funds in her paycheck would no doubt hurt but she had to look after her daughter before anything else. They would manage.

 

"I'll call you." She could feel his breath against her forehead and her heartbeat increased at the sensation of his warm body so close to hers.

 

And the knowledge that she would talk to him again soon. "I'll be here."

 

"Momma's having people over for Labor Day," he announced suddenly. "Just chicken and burgers on the grill. She always makes enough to feed an army. I'll be eating leftover potato salad for a week…"

 

"It sounds like fun," she said.

 

"You wanna come? There'll be a bunch of kids for Donna to play with."

 

"I don't know. I'll have to see what kind of day we have tomorrow. I don't want to overexcite her," Heather murmured even as her heart began to beat faster.

 

"I'll swing by when I get to Momma's."

 

Just the sight of him at their door would be enough for her daughter to want to go. Heather had an inkling that Justin knew that just as well as she did. "Okay. Just… I don't want to show up uninvited."

 

"I just invited you," he reminded her with a chuckle.

 

"That's not the same--"

 

"As Momma telling you. I knew you would say that. I'll take care of it." His fingers squeezed hers lightly. "I'll call you."

 

She nodded, glad he understood. Slightly worried that perhaps he understood her too well. "Drive safe."

 

"Always." He shifted, bringing her closer, and she trembled at the closeness of his body.

 

"I had a great time today." His t-shirt was warm and soft next to her cheek and she leaned against him.

 

"So did I." He released her hands and she was about to pull away, thinking that he was going to move. Instead, his hands slid up her arms and rested briefly on her shoulders before cupping her cheeks.

 

Oh God. "I'll walk you to the door," she offered breathlessly.

 

"Not yet."

 

"Oh." Oh. Oh, damn, he was getting closer. His breath was on her cheeks. His fingers swept against her temples. Each movement took barely a second but to her it took forever. She leaned up with anticipation and when his lips finally covered hers she thought she would cry.

 

He wasn't hesitant. There was no sense of holding back in his kiss. A gentle slide of his lips over hers had her craving more. Here entire body quaked at the overwhelming tenderness that swept through her body. Her hands reached forward for something to hold onto and Justin's lips parted against hers when her fingers finally clutched his t-shirt. Faltering, she leaned into him and didn't resist when his tongue swept into her mouth.

 

God. He was sensational. Sweet. Gentle. And a fantastic kisser. Her thoughts jumbled incoherently in her mind but she paid them no attention, shakily attempting to return his kiss. It had been too long. For so long her body had laid dormant, the passion his lips and tongue caused within her forgotten. The feel of his body against hers, firm muscle and lean strength coupled with  the feather-soft brush of his fingertips against her throat threatened to send her into oblivion.

 

She wanted him.

 

That thought, reverberating through her mind, finally reached her and she had no idea what to do about it. No clue whether to make advances or wait for him.

 

His teeth grazed her bottom lip and she decided his speed was perfect. Shaky fingers worked their way up his chest and she moaned at the feel of his stubbly cheek. The curls at his neck begged to be touched and just as her fingers curled within them he hauled her closer.

 

"I should get going," he mumbled, drawing their kiss into several short pecks.

 

"Mm-hmm," she responded. She could feel his pulse beneath her thumb and caressed it.

 

"It's late." His mouth finally pulled from hers and he wasted no time before brushing moist kisses along her jaw. His breath burned against her skin.

 

"Yeah." She closed her eyes and tried her best to breathe normally.

 

His lips blazed a trail to the curve of her neck. She felt her knees buckle and her entire body burned when his arm circled her waist. "We should leave something for our date," he murmured, even as his lips brushed her earlobe.

 

It was on the tip of his tongue to tell him that there were many more things they could do on their date but her nervousness silenced her. She merely nodded slightly in response, sucking in a calming breath before his lips met hers again. He licked the last remnants of her favorite lip gloss from her lips before offering a final, tender kiss.

 

Resting his forehead against hers gently, he inhaled sharply. "Whoa."

 

"You can say that again," she whispered shakily.

 

"Whoa," he repeated. His thumbs caressed her cheeks again and she allowed her hands to drop away from him, wanting to cry when he released her. "I'll call you."

 

She nodded. "I'll walk you out."

 

Their steps were slow as she led him to the front door. Fingers twined, she smiled each time he paused to offer another kiss. She accepted willingly and glanced longingly towards her bedroom door. He chuckled when he caught her glance and caught her close for another kiss. "Our date's coming, remember?"

 

Not soon enough, her traitorous body screamed. She smiled, though, and leaned in the doorway as he got his keys out. He reminded her again that he would call her tomorrow and she held her breath when he stepped out onto the porch.

 

"Aren't you going to kiss me goodnight?" she blurted.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story