Author's Chapter Notes:
This one took a little longer, sorry about that!

"Please tell me you saw my red shirt at some point," Heather pleaded as she flung clothes away from the heap on the chair near window. She was near frantic. He would be there soon and she had just gotten out of the shower. Great way to start a first date, she thought sourly. Pushing back her dripping hair she groaned when she reached the bottom of the pile and whirled around to face the woman in the doorway. "Well?"

 

"I had no clue you were digging him so much," Liz noted, smirking. She crossed the room, navigating the strewn clothes as though she were used to it. Reaching under the blue dress on the bed she pulled out the red top in question. "You just put it there a minute ago."

 

"Thank you," Heather breathed with relief. "And I'm not digging him."

 

"Please. I saw the way you two were looking at each other this afternoon. Good thing there were kids present."

 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Heather asked as she searched the clothing on the floor for her favorite jeans.

 

"He would have had you over that desk and naked in a minute--"

 

"Liz!" Heather shrieked. Mortified she rushed to the doorway and peered into Donna's room. Her daughter was giggling and playing cars with Zachary. Timmy watched with interest from the doorway, still too shy to join in.

 

"What? It's the truth." Liz grinned and leaned to grab a pair of jeans from the floor. "Are these the ones you're looking for?"

 

Heather all but snatched them from her hand. "Yes," she ground out. "And it is not true."

 

"Please." Liz waved her hand dismissively. "Where's he taking you tonight?"

 

"Antonio's." Heather eyed the clock and wanted to scream. She never should have stopped by the store. True, she had needed to buy something so that Donna could eat dinner and it would have been rude to ask Liz to make do with dry cereal considering she had two more children with her, but it had seriously cut into her preparation time. Liz, Zachary and Timmy had been waiting when they finally got home.

 

"Nice. Be sure and get supreme," Liz suggested as Heather headed into her small bathroom. "Aren't you forgetting something?"

 

"What now?" Heather looked down at the clothing in her arms. Jeans, top, bra--

 

"Panties?"

 

"I am seriously starting to regret having you watch Donna." She would blame Donna for that. Her daughter had loudly announced that Mr. Timberlake and her mother were going out to dinner and that her Mommy couldn't find a babysitter. Liz hadn't seemed surprised by the announcement but had offered to watch her. Heather had agreed after a moment's hesitation.

 

"Oh come on. I'm the cheapest babysitter in town."

 

"You're free," Heather reminded her, yanking the top drawer open.

 

"Exactly." Liz tossed a few clothes onto the bed and offered a wicked grin. "Bruce is leaving to go fishing for the weekend when he gets off and Carrie's at a friend's for the night. So if the two of you decide to have hot passionate sex tonight you can go to his house and I'll stay here."

 

"LIZ!" Heather shrieked in disbelief. Her cheeks were crimson and she grabbed the first pair of underwear from her drawer before ducking into the bathroom.

 

"I'm just saying!"

 

Heather rolled her eyes and shrugged out of her damp robe. She had hoped to take great care with her appearance for the date. As it was, she'd be lucky if she had time to dry her hair and slap on some lip-gloss after getting dressed. So much for looking hot, she decided with a sigh as she tugged on her panties.

 

She dressed as quickly as she could, cursing when her bra refused to hook. Just as she bent over and turned on the hair dryer she heard Liz announce that someone was at the door. After spending most of the afternoon at Justin's mother's house in the woman's company she was almost certain that Liz would say something that would cause embarrassment. She almost turned off the dryer to go answer the door on her own but heard Donna's excited voice. Liz wouldn't say anything too scandalous in front of the kids.

 

She hoped.

 

By the time she made it into the living room Justin was standing near the kitchen door. She immediately noticed that he was wearing a flannel shirt and her heart did that funny little tumble when he turned to look at her.

 

She had thought things would be strange after their talk the night before. She had thought it would make him keep himself at a distance and had worried that he would ask to cancel their date when she'd danced around his questions. Instead, he had held her close long into the night. For the first time in her life she had been perfectly content to snuggle close and just be with a man.

 

She had mentioned at one point that she liked his flannel shirt. And now he was wearing another one. She couldn't help the grin on her face.

 

"Hey," he greeted with a warm smile. She had to fight back the urge to throw her arms around him. "You look great."

 

The urge came back full force and she was grateful that Timmy was tugging at her jeans. She hefted him up onto her hip blew a raspberry against his cheek, her eyes still on Justin. "Thanks. So do you."

 

"Mommy. I want boots like Mr. Timberlake's. Please?" Donna tugged on Heather's jeans and looked up imploringly. "I'll be good. I wanna be a cowgirl!"

 

"We'll see, honey." Heather playfully tugged on Donna's pigtail and smiled when she rushed away, squealing. Timmy squealed as well and when he bounced excitedly Heather felt her stomach churn. "Liz… Your son…"

 

Liz appeared at the kitchen door and pointed a spoon at her son. "Did you stinky?"

 

"Uh-huh." Timmy grinned widely.

 

"You little monster." Liz scooped him into her arms and headed down the hall.

 

"Donna, come tell me bye," Heather called and was answered by the thundering sound of bare feet on the floor. Grunting when Donna flung herself into her arms, she swept her up into a big hug. "Be a good girl for Zachary's Mommy okay? Play nice and share. And don’t pick on Timmy."

 

"Yes, Mommy. You'll bring me some pizza?"

 

"We'll save you the biggest piece, toots," Justin promised, reaching over Heather's shoulder to playfully chuck Donna's chin with his fingers.

 

"Good. Have fun, Mommy." Donna smacked noisy kisses to her mother's cheeks and leaned over to give Justin a hug. "If Mommy's a good girl will she get a sticker?"

 

Heather sputtered. Though the question was innocuous and free of any suggestion, she felt her cheeks burn. "Donna…"

 

"I'll give Mommy a sticker," Justin assured her. Heather playfully dug her elbow in his ribs when he snickered. She did it to shut him up as well as make him move away.


She hated herself for loving the closeness of his body. It should be illegal for a man to render her breathless just by standing behind her.

 

She patted Donna's back and offered a final kiss before setting her on the floor. "Be a good girl," she reminded her as she headed back to her room.

 

"I will, Mommy. You too!"

 

Heather smiled at the way Donna shook her finger threateningly. Turning to Justin, she shrugged. "If I don't come home with a sticker I'll be grounded."

 

"Does that mean I'd have to throw rocks at your window to talk to you?" he teased.

 

"I could just sneak out…"

 

"Or let me sneak in…"

 

"Or remember that you're not alone in here and that I still have to eat dinner."

 

Heather groaned as her forehead bumped against Justin's. "Thank you, Liz."

 

"Have fun you two."

 

"My cell number is on the fridge--"

 

"With Justin's number. And Antonio's. I know." Liz shooed them towards the door.

 

Heather grabbed her purse and stopped in the doorway. "No sugar after seven."

 

"Eight," Liz countered.

 

"Seven thirty."

 

"Deal." Liz waved and grabbed hold of the doorknob. "Have fun. If you call me more than three times I'll think Justin is a lousy date."

 

"Hey!"

 

Heather laughed as she was pushed out onto the porch and the door shut firmly behind her. "I'm beginning to think she was trying to kick us out."

 

"Or she's just anxious to spoil Donna rotten."

 

Heather winced, hearing a sudden crash from within the house. "I better--"

 

"Zachary Scott! Get off that couch!"

 

Justin chuckled and caught her hand before she could open the door. "Liz has it under control. Come on. If somebody gets hurt she'll call."

 

- - -

 

"Should I worry that she hasn't called?" Heather asked.

 

Justin glanced up from his perusal of the menu and saw that she was fiddling with the band that secured the paper napkin around her silverware. She was worried, he could tell. And he could understand why. "I promise not to be insulted that you call to check on her if you promise to dance with me later."

 

He saw her eyes shift to what passed for the dance floor. Antonio's was more about food than ambience, and the cleared area for dancing was smaller than his utility room. She slid her gaze back to him and smiled. "I'll call while I go wash my hands."

 

"Anything but anchovies, right?"

 

"Not too many black olives, please."

 

He nodded; he personally couldn't stand them.

 

"Could you get me a salad too?" she requested as she slid out of the booth. "With French dressing?"

 

"Sure thing." He watched her hips sway as she headed to the restroom in the back, already punching numbers into her cell phone. He smiled and that tingle that had been buzzing within him since he first walked into her house vibrated.

 

She was dangerous. If things continued in the direction they were going he would start falling in love with her. And that scared him to death.

 

He wanted to love again. He wanted to know that there was someone he could lean on. Someone he could talk to. Someone he knew would be there when he just wanted company. Someone he could make love to until sunrise.

 

Heather didn't seem ready for all of that, though. Sure, she had opened up a little but he knew as sure as the day was long that she was still holding things back. And he didn't want to rush things and cause her to flee.

 

But he was scared shitless of going through that again. Yes, he was having a great time with Heather and he wanted to continue having a good time.

 

But falling in love? Buy a ring?

 

He felt a gnawing pain in his heart. Not again. Not yet.

 

For now he would just have fun. Get to know her. See how it went.

 

"Are you going to stare into space all night or do you plan on ordering?" a tired voice asked from nearby.

 

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts Justin looked up and saw Christie Rae standing by the booth. A pad was in her hand and she tapped a pen against it. "Sorry," he mumbled before turning his attention back to the menu. "Two of the house salads. One with French and one with Ranch. And…" Justin trailed his finger over the list of pizza sizes. "Make it the mega. Supreme. No black olives."

 

"And no anchovies. Damn, Justin, you always get the same kind." Christie snapped gum in her mouth. "Drink?"

 

"Whatever wine Tony's pushing this week." He slapped the menu closed and reached for Heathers to hand them over. "Better bring two sodas too."

 

"Gotcha." Christie's gum snapped loudly as she headed away.

 

Lightly drumming his hands against the table Justin glanced around the restaurant and nodded his head in acknowledgement when he saw people that he knew. Only a few tables were occupied and he was grateful; he hated the idea of trying to get to know Heather in a packed, noisy place.

 

By the time she returned their drinks had been served and someone had started the jukebox. She slid into the booth with a smile and pushed her phone back into her purse.

 

"Everything alright on the home front?" he questioned with a smile as he dropped his hands onto his lap.

 

"Donna is having a tea party with Timmy and Zachary. Somehow she talked Timmy into wearing one of her floppy hats." She smiled again and reached to pour wine into her glass. "They'll be eating soon."

 

"I didn't know if you wanted wine or…"

 

"Wine is good." Her smile was still in place as she raised her glass. "Not to sound cliché, but do you come here a lot?"

 

"Not as much as I'd like. It's not fun if you're by yourself," he admitted. "Sometimes I tag along with Trace and Jen when they come but she hasn't gotten out much lately."

 

"How is she?"

 

"When I talked to Trace earlier he said that if the baby doesn't come on its own by next week he's going to move in with his mother."

 

Heather laughed. "She can't be that bad."

 

"She's one of my best friends and I love her to death but she is a miserable pregnant woman," Justin told her.

 

"Hormones are a horrible thing, Justin."

 

He reached for his wine and his gaze flickered to the way her hands cupped around her glass. "How were you when you were pregnant with Donna?"

 

She didn't answer right away and he wondered if he'd brought up a bad memory. But she smiled wistfully and settled back into the red leather cushion of the booth. "It was the most peaceful nine months of my life. I loved every minute of it."

 

"Really?"

 

"Mom was staying with us because her roof caved in after a storm and… It was good for me." She met his eyes. "I had morning sickness, sure, but I don't know. Every little thing that changed because of the life inside me just made me smile."

 

"No mood swings?" He couldn't really picture her turning from a smiling, genteel woman into the screaming banshee that Jen often became.

 

"Oh God yes. I remember crying because the mail was late." She rolled her eyes when he chuckled. "Sure, laugh. I was devastated."

 

"I think it's cute. Did you stand at the mailbox sobbing or cry into a pillow?"

 

"If you must know I sat in my car at the end of the driveway sniveling until the mail truck came. And then when I got out he said that he was late because it had been raining and I just went off." She shrugged. "I reminded him of that old slogan and insisted that my mail be on time from then on."

 

"And what happened?"

 

"He was there on time or earlier. Even though I apologized and told him I hadn't meant it." She smiled at the memory. "Fun times."

 

"Here you go," Christie announced. Heather leaned back just in time to avoid being smacked on the head by the pizza platter. Justin scowled slightly when the waitress blatantly checked Heather out.

 

"Thanks," he told her. "What about our salads?"

 

"Shit." Christie turned on her heel and stalked back to the kitchen.

 

Justin offered Heather an apologetic smile. "The food is better than the service."

 

"No big deal. The pizza's too hot to eat anyway."

 

It was on the tip of his tongue to ask if she was going to blow on it to cool it off for him but he took a sip of his wine instead.

 

"Did you go to school with her? The waitress?"

 

"Christie? Yeah. She was different then." Justin sighed and wondered how he could turn the conversation to a different topic. "Trace went out with her a few times."

 

"You're kidding," Heather breathed in surprise. "I thought he and Jen had been together forever."

 

"Oh, no. She dated me some in high school."

 

"Really?"

 

Uh-oh. He'd heard that interested tone before in women. "Yeah… It wasn't anything serious though. Just to the prom and a few games."

 

"I never went to a prom."

 

"Then you didn't miss much. Standing around drinking punch that wasn't very good while your date spends the night giggling with her friends. But it wasn't like we were really interested in each other," he attempted to explain. "We were just friends."

 

"I'm not jealous of her, Justin," Heather murmured suddenly. He met her eyes and saw her soft smile.

 

"Good, 'cause there's nothing to be jealous of--"

 

"Two salads," Christie announced loudly. Justin winced as she unceremoniously slapped two plates of salad down in front of them. "Anything else?"

 

"I'm great, thanks," Heather answered.

 

"Enjoy," Christie sighed before sauntering away.

 

"Doesn't she just ooze Southern charm," Heather muttered before taking another sip of her wine.

 

Justin smirked and reached for his silverware. He had gotten out his fork and was wondering what had happened to his napkin when his cell phone began to ring. "Damnit," he grunted. He'd thought he'd turned it to vibrate. Snatching the phone from his belt he saw Trace's number. Silencing the call he set the phone aside and once more reached for his fork.

 

"You can answer it," Heather told him.

 

"Nah. It's just Trace. I can call him later." The phone beeped an alert that he had a text message and he groaned. "He's such a jackass, I swear…" He knew that Heather was chuckling and offered a chagrined expression while opening his phone to read the message. The text was only a bunch of gibberish.

If Trace was trying to ruin his date… Justin sighed and looked to Heather. "You don't mind if I call him?"

 

"Of course not."

 

Before Justin could dial the number his phone rang again. Seeing Trace's number once more he answered the call. "What's up?"

 

"OH MY GOD!" Trace shouted above the sound of his siren.

 

"...Huh?" Justin finally found his fork and took a bite of his salad. "What's going on?"

 

"I CAN'T - SHE'S - I'M WAY OUT AT THE CREEK AND CAN'T GET THERE!"

 

"Get where?" Justin questioned worriedly. "Is something wrong?"

 

"YES!"

 

Justin winced when a blaring horn sounded and fought back a cackle at his friend's next words.

 

"SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS, MOTHERFUCKER! I AM THE LAW!"

 

"Trace, man, chill--"

 

"BYE!"

 

Justin stared down at his phone for a moment after the call ended. He'd never heard Trace so excited about anything. "What the fuck…"

 

"Is something wrong?" Heather asked softly.

 

"I have no clue." Justin shook his hand and set his phone aside. "He was just yelling his head off. Apparently he's out at the creek and can't get somewhere."

 

"Do you think he called the wrong number?"

 

Justin could only hope. "If it's important he'll call back when he can focus," he promised. "Ready to taste the best pizza in Cedar Grove?"

 

"Justin, it's the only pizza in Cedar Grove," she reminded him, rolling her eyes. But she pushed her salad aside and nodded.

 

"That's why it's the best," he explained. He had placed a slice on her plate and was getting his own when his phone began to ring. He saw it was Trace and ignored the call. "Fucking… If I didn't know better I'd think he's trying to sabotage our date."

 

"Would he do that?"

 

"He did once. All because I walked in to borrow a t-shirt just when he was putting the moves on Jen."

 

"You didn't." Heather held a hand over her mouth and he couldn't tell if it was in mortification or to hide a smile.

 

"I totally did. But I didn't even know she was there. This was back in college, when they first started going out. I just barged in and he was telling her that he'd pull out 'cause he didn't have a condom."

 

"Oh. My. God." Heather dissolved into laughter and Justin felt his cheeks burn.

 

If there was anything remotely close to walking in on parents having sex, walking in on your best friend was it. He leaned back in the booth and watched her try to compose herself. When her laughter slowed into an occasional giggle, he grinned. "Jen just looked over at me and asked if I had a condom he could use."

 

"Justin!" she screeched, throwing her napkin at him.

 

"Well she did!" he retorted, sending the napkin her way. He was aware of other customers glancing their way but didn't care. This was priceless. "But Trace didn't want it. Said he couldn't be expected to perform with an audience." He wet his lips and shrugged. "I offered to do it for him but he didn't like that idea."

 

Heather's eyes widened. "Justin! You did not!"

 

"Okay, I didn't," he relented. "I was too damn shocked to say anything."

 

"I would be too… God," she muttered before starting to giggle once more.

 

Nothing, he decided, could ruin this moment.

 

Except his damn phone, which had started to ring again. As he picked it up to silence it Heather covered her mouth with her napkin. His eyebrows rose when he saw that this time it was Jen calling. Knowing that it would take a moment for Heather to finish laughing, he answered. "Yeah?"

 

"The baby's coming," she said in a tight voice.

 

"What? Now?"

 

"Yes, now," she groaned. "My water broke in the kitchen."

 

"Just don't step on it and Trace'll clean it up when he gets home," Justin suggested in confusion.

 

"Justin." Her voice was edged with panic. "My water broke. There is a large puddle of amniotic fluid in my kitchen--"

 

"Shit…"

 

Heather had stopped laughing and was looking at him worriedly. He saw the question in her eyes.

 

"She's in labor," he said. "Is Trace on the way home?" he asked Jen.

 

"Yes, but he's at the creek. Mom's coming to take me to the hospital." Her voice was still tight with pain. "But she lives fifteen minutes away and had to get dressed."

 

Heather was waving to Christie as though she already knew what he was going to ask her.

 

"We'll come by and take you to the hospital," he told Jen.

 

"Justin, I'm scared…"

 

"Here, talk to Heather while I pay the bill." He held the phone out to Heather. "Can you keep her calm?"

 

She nodded and tucked the phone next to her ear. "Jen?"

 

"What's the problem?" Christie asked with complete disinterest.

 

"We have to go. Can I get the check?" Justin was already sliding out of the booth. He reached for his wallet and heard Heather's soft voice assuring Jen that everything would be okay.

 

"Damn, Justin--"

 

"Here," he grumbled, shoving some cash into her hands. "If that's not enough tell Tony I'll be back later."

 

"You gonna take the pizza with you?" Christie asked, glaring at Heather when she slipped past.

 

"Just box it up; we'll pick it up later." Justin looked at Heather and she nodded. "Sorry, Christie. It's an emergency."

 

"Whatever."

 

"How is she?" he whispered, holding onto Heather's elbow as they left.

 

"She set the phone down so she could get some towels. She's only scared that Trace won't make it to the hospital in time."

 

"Somebody needs to call him and tell him not to go to the house--" Justin halted when she pushed her phone into his hands.

 

"I don't want to hang up with Jen. Not right now."

 

He nodded in understanding and hurriedly dialed Trace's cell phone.

 

- - -

 

"I didn't bother with Lamaze," Jen babbled as Justin helped her up from the couch. "I knew that I wanted an epidural and don't know the first thing about how to breathe for this."

 

Justin looked over at Heather helplessly. She nodded. It was obvious he had no idea what to do. Stepping over she transferred the packed bag, purse and pillow that Jen wanted to take to the hospital into his hands. "I put a couple blankets in the back of her car. You want to turn it around while I help her outside?"

 

"Thank you," he whispered. Heather bit back a giggle at the hurried steps he took to leave the living room.

 

"If you feel a contraction, stop walking," she told Jen softly. "Hold my hand and focus on the way I breathe, okay?"

 

"Okay." Jen kept one hand over her swollen belly and bit her lip. "If he doesn't make it I'll never forgive him."

 

"He'll be there," Heather promised. She held out her hand for Jen to take. "Come on. Walk slowly and don't let go of my hand."

 

Jen nodded and together they began a slow trek towards the door. She had been in the middle of a contraction when Heather left to put blankets in the car and secure Jen's dog in his crate in the kitchen. She twisted the watch on her wrist so she could keep track of time.

 

God, she hoped she wouldn't have to help deliver a baby in the back seat of a car.

 

"Heather," Jen whined suddenly, steps faltering. Her hand clenched Heather's tightly.

 

"Don't focus on the pain," Heather instructed softly. "Breathe with me."

 

Three minutes. Just three minutes. Donna had come into the world almost immediately once Heather's contractions had reached three minutes apart. She forced herself to remember that all babies took their own time being born and that no two labors were the same.

 

"That was worse than the others," Jen whispered a moment later. Beads of perspiration had broken out on her forehead and Heather gently wiped them away with a tissue.

 

"Is the breathing helping?"

 

"A little." Jen wet her lips and took a hesitant step forward.

 

"We'll make it," Heather promised.

 

"The doctor wants to know how far apart the contractions are," Justin announced as he met them at the door. He had his cell phone to his ear and Heather would have been amused at his anxiousness had she not been nervous as well.

 

"Three minutes."

 

Justin relayed the information through the phone and Heather saw his face pale considerably. "Yes sir, we're on the way. Just getting into the car now… What? You want me to go slow?!"

 

"Justin," Jen admonished, making a face at his whine.

 

"Sorry." He took her other arm and nodded to whatever the doctor was saying. "I understand. But do you understand that I have no clue what to do if the baby decides he or she wants to come out while I'm just moseying through town?"

 

Heather bit back a smile when his eyes widened.

 

"I don't know nothing about delivering babies!"

 

"Now I know how Melanie Wilkes felt," Jen whispered. Heather nodded in agreement and was glad that the other woman was no longer panicking.

 

"Fine, I'll call if that happens." Justin slapped his phone shut against his thigh and looked at Heather with extreme horror. "Do you know what crowning is?"

 

"That's when the head is visible," she answered automatically, holding on tightly as Jen took the steps one-by-one.

 

"Visible from where?"

 

"If you have to ask, you really don't want to know. That means that the baby won't be waiting around much longer."

 

"Oh, God."

 

"You've never landed on one of those birthing shows while you were channel surfing?"

 

"Hell no. I learned enough about it when I took Sex Ed."

 

"Because that was really telling it like it is," Heather muttered. "Trust me, Justin."

 

"I do. You’ve been through this before. The closest I've been is watching Momma's cat have kittens."

 

"So now I'm just some fat lazy cat?"

 

"I think I should just get in the driver's seat and shut the hell up," Justin decided with defeat in his voice.

 

"Might be a good idea."

 

- - -

 

Heather hugged herself as she stood in the small waiting area near the delivery room. Jen had been taken back immediately and she could still hear her cries of indignation when she'd been informed that there was no time for an epidural. Smiling slightly, she glanced out the window.

 

Trace's patrol car was still parked haphazardly at the entrance. The blue lights still flashed and the driver's door was hanging open. But there was another deputy nearby talking to the young man who had been misfortunate enough to have been in the back seat when Trace got the call that his wife was in labor.

 

She had been waiting at the entrance to tell Trace which way to go when he'd pulled up. Tires squealing and sirens wailing he had barely acknowledged her, only telling her which switch turned the sirens off. She had rushed after him to tell him where Jen was before going back outside.

 

The panels of buttons had been labeled. After the deafening sirens had ceased she had heard the sounds of someone throwing up in the back seat.

 

A kid, barely eighteen, had raised his head long enough to swear he would never have another drink as long as he lived before passing out.

 

Now she shook her head in amusement. She could only imagine how badly Trace's driving had scared him. Turning she saw Jen's mother at the coffee pot. Justin stood nearby, hands in his pockets. When he saw her looking at him he headed over and dropped his chin onto her shoulder.

 

"As first dates go, is this the worst you've ever had?" he asked softly.

 

"No," she promised. "I'm too excited to care that our dinner was interrupted and that my purse is still in your truck at Jen's house. A new life is about to enter the world."

 

"It is pretty amazing isn't it?"

 

She nodded and sighed when his arms wrapped around her from behind. "I wonder if it was this nerve-racking when I had Donna."

 

"Probably. I mean, you see it in movies and hear about babies being born every day, but it's different when it's someone close to you."

 

"I know… I'm not even close to Trace and Jen and I can't wait to see the baby."

 

"I think now that you've shined a flashlight between Jen's legs you'll be good friends."

 

"That is so gross," she muttered. She looked out the window and saw that the blue lights had finally been turned off. Someone was driving Trace's patrol car away from the entrance.

 

"You don't mind staying until the baby's born?" he asked suddenly.

 

"I want to stay if it's alright with you." She turned to face him. "Is it?"

 

"Yeah it is." He smiled. "We can pick up the pizza and heat it up at my house. And instead of a movie in Fairview you can pick something out of my DVD collection."

 

"Can't wait," she murmured. Her arms wound around his waist and she breathed in his scent, hoping it would rid her senses of the hospital smell.

 

"Let's go for a walk," he suggested. "Go down and get a drink from the machine or something."

 

"Okay." When she was no longer in his arms the smell of the hospital permeated her senses again and she shook herself. She was here for a good thing.

 

"You cold?"

 

"Just a little chill," she answered. "Air conditioner must be set too cold."

 

"Yeah." His hand found hers and he paused to tell Jen's mother that they were going down to the drink machines. She nodded and said that her husband would be there shortly.

 

The corridor seemed oddly quiet and still as they walked along. Heather kept her gaze on the floor and assured the dread in her stomach that this was the baby floor. Only new mothers and newborn babies and excited fathers would be there. Justin's hand squeezed hers as they passed a nurse pushing a swaddled bundle into a room and she was grateful he was with her.

 

As they neared the vending area she saw a doctor come from a room, head bent to the nurse at his side.

 

"…I think it's a case of abuse. The bruises on her abdomen did not come from falling out of a chair…"

 

Heather felt her palms begin to sweat and her entire body suddenly shook at the memories flooding her mind. She released Justin's hand and pressed her fingers to her eyes. "No…"

 

"What's wrong?" he asked worriedly. His hands were gentle on her upper arms and it took all her strength to keep from shoving him away.

 

"I just really don't like hospitals," she whispered shakily. One hand left her and she heard the metallic clink of coins. Seconds later a cold can was pressed against her palm.

 

"Hey, it's okay," he whispered. Her arm felt limp when his hand covered hers and she let him pull her arm down. His blue eyes were dark with apprehension and she saw the unasked questions.

 

She fumbled with the tab on the soda can and when it popped open she took a hasty gulp. It was so cold it numbed her fingers. Her head hurt from the suddenness of the chill. Lowering the can she pressed her fingers to her lips and looked away.

 

"Come on," he murmured. He took the can and his arm slipped around her waist to keep her close. She waited for the questions.

 

And was glad when they didn't come.

 

- - -

 

"My little girl," Trace crooned as he stared down at the pink bundle in his arms. "Look at her, man. She's the most beautiful baby in the world."

 

Justin grinned at the overwhelming cheesiness of the moment. Standing next to Trace, he leaned his head to one side to look down at the sleeping baby. "She is cute," he assured his friend, gently clapping him on the shoulder before glancing to the bed. Jen slept peacefully. Heather sat in the chair near the bed, flipping through a magazine. Every once in a while she would look at the baby and each time he saw the anxiety slowly fade from her eyes. "Did you two pick out a name?"

 

He and Heather had stayed in the waiting area while Jen's mother and father and then Trace's parents had gone in to visit their new granddaughter. Heather had suggested that they give the grandparents the time alone before barging in to see the new addition. She had been right, of course, but Justin had been antsy to see the baby. His best friend was now a father. It both amazed him and freaked him out at the same time.

 

"Ellie Mae," Trace answered.

 

Justin blinked. "Tell me you're joking."

 

"Ellie Mae Ayala," Trace recited. "Don't give me that look. We named her after our grandmothers."

 

"You named her after the girl in The Beverly Hillbillies," Justin corrected, still astounded.

 

"No. After our grandmothers." Trace's foot bumped against Justin's ankle. "Jerk."

 

"You are seriously going to peg that sweet little girl with the most redneck damn name?"

 

"Would you shut up? And no cussing around the baby," Trace insisted, hugging his daughter close.

 

"Please. After living with you two her first word is going to be 'fuck' I guarantee."

 

"You can be such an asshole."

 

"See?"

 

"Heather? Did you want to hold her?" Trace offered suddenly. "Since you almost delivered her in the car and all…"

 

"I'd love to."

 

Justin stepped to the side and shared a smile with Heather as she crossed to the rocking chair in the corner. She had been quiet since entering the room, only asking that Jen was alright and that the baby was healthy. He knew she hated hospitals but he had never seen anyone so antsy that they jumped each time a nurse passed by.

 

Trace looked confused when she stood in front of him. "Uh…"

 

"You'll get the hang of it." Heather leaned down and carefully scooped the baby from his arms. One hand supported her head and the other her backside, feet against her chest. Almost immediately she hummed softly and Justin saw that the remaining unease swept away.

 

Trace moved out of the rocking chair and he pushed Justin aside so he could reach the camera on the windowsill.

 

"You're a big one, aren't you?" Heather murmured at the baby as she settled into the rocker. Justin envied the ease with which she cradled the newborn in her lap. "Donna was a little bitty thing…"

 

Moving to her side Justin looked down at the infant. The pink cap on her head had slid up, revealing a head covered in fine black hair. Heather's fingers gently smoothed the cap back into place and when her fingers brushed over the baby's cheek a pair of small eyes opened.

 

"There you are," she cooed. "Mommy and Daddy are going to ask me if I think you're cute and I couldn't tell them the truth until I saw your eyes." She smiled and the baby's mouth opened in a small yawn. "Yeah, being born is tough work, isn't it? And people are going to expect you to be awake when they come see you. It's okay, I won't brag that you woke up to see me."

 

Justin grinned again and thought that cheesiness was underrated. He blinked when a sudden flash went off and glanced up to see Trace snapping pictures. "Dude, warn somebody…"

 

"I had to get a picture of Heather holding her."

 

"Better get used to Daddy taking your picture," Heather told the baby. Another small yawn. "Yeah, Daddy's are boring like that. If you get tired of it you make a stinky and he'll leave you alone for a while. Daddy's and stinky diapers don't mix."

 

Justin chuckled and dropped down to get a better look at the baby. "She's a beautiful little girl, Trace."

 

"Told you so."

 

"Must take after her mother," Justin decided with a sly grin. "Let's just hope she doesn't look like you when she grows up."

 

"You're not funny."

 

"See how men bicker? Can't just be quiet and enjoy the perfection of a newborn baby. No, they have to poke fun and irritate each other. Let's just hope they don't wake Mommy up."

 

Justin sighed and looked to Trace. "Sorry."

 

"It's okay. You're just an asshole."

 

"I--" Justin felt an elbow against his arm and glanced at Heather. She nodded to the baby and he knew what she was up to. She was going to ask if he wanted to hold the baby. She wouldn't insist but her eyes would get all big and hopeful and say that he had to. Oh, man. He'd gotten through this many years without holding a baby and he wasn't about to…


Ellie Mae yawned, lips smacking and eyes closing as she released a completely satisfied sigh. Her face showed immense relaxation and he thought he saw a lopsided smile on the small face.

 

Justin's heart melted. "Come on, Heather, let me hold her."

 

When he was in the rocking chair and his inexperienced arms were holding the baby close to his chest, he felt a strange giddiness when her head shifted in the crook of his arms. After a moment he was sure he wouldn't drop her and dared to touch the smooth cheeks. He could only stare at her, wondering how it was that such a small, helpless thing could render grown men speechless.

 

Then her eyes opened and he fell in love.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story