Author's Chapter Notes:
For people that hate when JC and Serena fight, you'll love this chapter. It's almost saccharine, though there IS an argument in this chapter when Serena learns how Melissa and JC conspired against her to make her do what she needed to do. A fun chapter to write! 

The glare from a flash bulb hit my eyes and for a few moments, my vision was globes and bursts of light. Temporary blindness coupled with a sea of voices, all yelling at the same decibel but saying different things was unnerving. JC's arm around my waist tightened, his fingers almost digging into my side.

"Over here, please!"

One voice took on a higher pitch and therefore demanded more attention. JC and I both turned our heads toward a large camera and smiled. The rattle of the shutter seemed amplified as it snapped a dozen photos in rapid succession. As the murmur died down, we inched our way down the red carpet-nothing more than a long piece of red fabric taped to the floor of the lobby of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Convention Center. Behind us, a large plastic sheet with several logos for the National Adoption Foundation repeated in colorful, chunky blocks.

"Are you giving interviews, JC? Just five minutes." Notebook in one hand, microphone in the other, a tall, thin woman wearing a standard grey pantsuit and glasses with thick black frames stared intently and flashed a bright white smile. Behind her, a cameraman focused his lens on JC. His arm slipped from around me and he began bobbing his head in answer to a question, but seconds later his fingers wove between mine and squeezed. I stood next to him, looking on and playing the part of arm candy and listening to his rehearsed blurb about adoption charities and what the organization meant to him.

The event was a Gala- black tie. Days before, JC had his tuxedo dry-cleaned got a haircut, bought a new shirt and tie and had his shoes shined. I had much more to do in preparation and as a result, I got my first taste of celebrity by association. Lara and Alera accompanied me to store after store after store on Rodeo Drive in search of the perfect little black dress. Twelve dresses and eight stores later, we found it.

Body hugging but classically styled and tasteful, the knee length dress featured lace panels down each side and a scoop neck. Short enough to be sexy, long enough for a formal event, paired with the perfect handbag and shoes, I only had a few moments to admire the set before the entire ensemble was whisked out of my arms and into a garment bag and then to a back room. Confused my gaze bounced from Lara to Alera and back to Lara.  

"They'll deliver it to the house for you," Alera said, pulling me by the arm out of the small, upscale boutique. "Come on. We still need jewelry. Your dress calls for something shiny."

"Okay, but I want to wear the earrings JC gave me."

Lara's lip curled as she grunted her distaste. "You wear those every day."

I fell into place between them, wandering past more designer fashion boutiques, the same stores I walked past on my first visit to LA. I took a cab to Beverley Hills and had lunch, just to say I had been there. I would never have imagined that I would be back to actually buy something. For an event. With JC.

I reached up to finger the gems in my ears and smiled. "I know. I don't want to take them out. So, a necklace or maybe a bracelet would be good but I'll wear these earrings."

Those solitaire studs now gleamed from underneath wavy, silky hair, in perfect complement to the bracelet and necklace we found to accompany them-though I had to be careful not to get attached. JC made it clear that we were not buying them. I laughed outwardly but inwardly mourned. They glittered and sparkled, casting magic in the light. I sighed, resolving myself to feeling like Cinderella- the belle of the ball until midnight.

JC and I made our way off the red carpet, past the gaggle of press and the check in table. We stopped at the silent auction displays, where JC was asked to autograph several items. Along the walls were lists of celebrities who had been adopted or were foster children. I took a quick peek around, trying not to look like I was staring but there were so many familiar faces.

"So is this thing just for people who are adopted?"

"Nope. Also for people who have adopted children. This foundation raises awareness for both sides." JC glanced up from signing the body of a guitar, capping the sharpie and handing it to the attendant. "I've been involved for a while, now. It's been nice to see it grow every year."

"You have? I didn't know that."

"That's because I don't brag about where I donate and what causes I support." He smiled and slid his arm around my waist again. His fingers tapped a light beat against the side of my body. "Tonight's the first night I even did the red carpet."

"Oh, really? What made you decide to do it this year?"

The lights in the lobby dimmed twice, a signal that the event was about to start. JC pulled me along with him to where a small crowd had bottlenecked at the entrance to the room. "I thought you might like it. Besides, I like having a pretty girl on my arm. Wanted to show her off."

"Oh... you." I blushed, but moved closer to him as we passed through a set of thick black curtains. I was frozen in place as my eyes crawled a spacious ballroom full of round tables, elegantly set with china and crystal, lit by tea lights circling the centerpieces. "It's gorgeous in here."

"Always a good time." JC pulled me along, forcing my feet to move. In the dim light, his eyes sparkled and when he smiled, those same eyes crinkled up around the sides. "Come on. Holding up the line, sweet girl."

###

Well past any hour that made sense, JC pulled into his spot in the garage, set the gear to park and wearily reached toward the ignition to turn the engine off. Sitting back against the smooth leather of the seat and propping his elbow up near the window, he rubbed his eyes with his thumb, quietly yawning.

"Thanks for coming, tonight. I liked having you there."

"Thanks for taking me. It was nice, for my first red carpet event."

"It was. It was really nice." He reached across the center console and tapped my leg a few times before he popped the latch on his door. The dull, yellow light from the overhead lamp flooded the car, illuminating his face. His eyes were droopy and halfway closed with dark circles developing underneath them. He yawned again, this time a loud roar of a sound.

"What do you say we get out of the car, hmmm?"

I opened my door and stepped out of the car, meeting JC at the door into the house. His keys jingled for a few minutes before he mumbled something under his breath and handed me his keys. I took them, found the right key, inserted it in the lock and pushed the door open.  JC followed me inside and then passed me in the hallway.

"Going up."

"Okay," I called to his retreating back as he climbed the steps. "I'm gonna check my messages and I'll be right up."

I headed to my office-- one flight up and to the right from the main floor. There was little to no sign that the room used to belong to a frat boy in his 20's. Gone were the posters, t-shirts, and law school trinkets. Gone was the worn beige carpet, trampled by feet dragging across the fibers every morning and every night. From the now gleaming wood floors up, the room had been transformed into a contemporary, functional office space, complete with my old desk from home and as much memorabilia I could set out before JC turned red and rolled his eyes. Much to his chagrin and despite his threats to take it down, my signed and framed Schizophrenic CD and tour poster hung on a wall over a filing cabinet.

The other walls bore original JC Chasez paintings-- he'd made the mistake of letting me dig through a storage closet, and once I found them, insisted on hanging them. Some were simple, some were complex, some light, some bold in color. We spread them throughout the house and, after a few days of rolling his eyes, I think he actually liked having his creativity on display.

I kicked off my shoes as I settled into my old brown leather desk chair and tapped at the keyboard of my laptop. The screen saver popped off, revealing my email program, logged in and open. I scrolled through a few items, none of much importance but shot off responses to them anyway. Twenty minutes later, I was laughing at an email from Melissa when an instant message popped up, covering most of my screen.

            JCChasez: You coming up soon?

            SJWillis: Maybe. Why? Are you in the mood?

            JCChasez: Are you?

I chuckled, typing my response. He was so dead tired, but what a trooper.

            SJWillis: I suppose I'll cut you a break tonight, but I might wake you up tomorrow morning.

            JCChasez: I can't see how it would be bad to wake up that way.

JCChasez: Wait a minute. Am I talking to you on IM from two floors up? Get up here. Don't want to go to sleep without you.

JCChasez has signed out

I huffed in mock frustration but signed out of IM and email, picked up my shoes by the toe strap and headed up the stairs. The bedroom was cool and dark, lit by a single bedside lamp. Stretched out on the bed and still in his dress shirt, slacks and socks, JC seemed to already well on his way to sleep. An arm was flung over his eyes, his legs were crossed at the ankles, and his mouth was slightly open and emitting a light snore.

My shoes landed softly near the closet where I tossed them before I crawled onto the bed next to him. "You summoned me with some line about how you didn't want to go to sleep without me, and you're up here snoring already."  His response was a grunt, but at least I knew he was awake. "Long day?"

He nodded, his arm still covering his eyes. "Worked all day on one really frustrating song. Turns out the last take-the perfect one?" He shook his head. "The machine didn't record it right. I had to leave though, and get dressed for this thing tonight, so we have to meet early tomorrow, try to knock it out before my other session."

"Mmmm," I hummed, laying my head on his shoulder and running my hands down his chest, across his mid-section and back up in a slow, soothing revolution. "Sounds stressful. I know how you hate it when things don't go like you planned."

"Just throws me off, you know? Then I'm running late and I'm rushing from one thing to another. I hate that. If you weren't coming tonight, I would have just canceled, stayed there and finished."

"Oh... well, I would have understood if you had to cancel." Would have preferred it actually, to knowing that I was the reason he couldn't finish an item on his list. Being able to work to completion and not push things off kept his schedule reasonable. This was the center point in our compromise to each other-he wouldn't work himself to the bone and ignore "us", and I wouldn't harp on him about working or traveling when he needed to. It's not like I'm going away forever, he said. I'm always gonna come home.

"I know," he said, dropping his arm to rest around my shoulders. He gave me a squeeze that showed his appreciation for my attitude about it, or at least that's what I liked to think that meant. "I wanted to take you on your first red carpet ride. Have fun?"

I tilted my head up so I could see him and he could see me and smiled a ridiculously wide grin. "So much fun. The music was great, the food was awesome, I met so many people, I can't even remember them all.  Melissa loves finding pictures of us and sending them to me, like I don't know what we look like. I can't wait to see the ones from tonight."

"You looked good." He glanced down at our bodies. One of my legs was flung over both of his, causing my dress to ride up high on my thighs. He couldn't resist a long, lingering slide of his hand down my leg and back up. "Still look good."

"As did you. So handsome in your tuxedo, your hair all perfect and your eyes all... blue. I love when you play dress up."

"I do it for you." He stretched down toward my forehead and planted a kiss there while simultaneously grabbing my ass and squeezing. "And the nookie."

"A tux will get you laid every time."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, really. But-" Too late. JC had rolled us over and settled his body onto mine. My legs involuntarily   locked themselves around him, my arms circled his neck and I found myself pleasantly assaulted by soft, firm lips across my face. "I thought you were tired."

"I am," he said, burying his face in my neck and planting soft, light as a feather, suction kisses from my earlobe to my neck and then across my shoulder.  "Quickie?"

I laughed. "Have we ever had a quickie? I'm not sure you're capable of one."

JC's head lifted, his skeptical eyebrow raise in full effect. "Wanna try me?"

"No," I said, still laughing. "No, I do not want to try you. I'm into quality lovemaking."

"It'll be quality. Just fast."

"I don't want it fast!"

"Well, we both know I'm not a two-minute man. Come on..."

"You don't have to talk me into sex..." I narrowed my eyes at him, never more serious. "But no half-assing it. Make it count."

"Oh, it'll count," he said, his voice lowering to a near growl, rumbling deeply in his chest and vibrating through me. "I promise."

It was my turn to lift an eyebrow, but in curious interest instead of skepticism. "And you've never broken a promise to me."

"Not gonna make that one my first one."

He shook his head slowly, his lips lowering to mine, his hand already moving between us and pushing the hem of my dress up and over my hips and pulling at the side strap of my thong panties. I helped, working them down my legs until I could kick them off.  He unbuttoned his shirt, practically ripping it off himself and flung it over the side of the bed and then worked the button and zipper of his pants. In seconds, he wore nothing but a t-shirt and socks and in the next moment he was hot, hard, and deep inside me, his hips moving and creating delicious friction in steady rhythm. My body responded in kind, from the arch in my back to the gyration of my hips to the shortness of breath in my lungs and the almost desperate clinging of my hands to his back, riding the ripple of muscle beneath his skin.

I panted, my head tossed back, giggling at the ticklish sensation of his teeth nipping under my chin and his breaths grunting in rhythm to his thrusts. "Oh my--fuck," I heaved, my eyelids fluttering at half mast. "This...this might be our first quickie."

"As long as it counts," he huffed, lifting himself up. His eyes caught mine and his piercing stare held my gaze as he hovered over me. His hips were still working, his chest still heaving, but in his eyes, I saw nothing but peace. All at once, I felt the air rush out of my body and a quiver rise from my belly.

"Mmmmm....."  I shuddered, knowing he felt it and saw it and couldn't help but react to it. He fought to keep his eyes open.

"Come. I want to watch."

Not a problem, but I wasn't going alone. "Are you coming?"

"Don't worry about me," was the quick response, coupled with a doubled effort. Harder, faster, deeper, stronger he moved, relentlessly battering his body against mine. I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. They slammed shut just as I reached for him and gripped his biceps, shaking with the effort to hold his body up. My nails dug into his skin as my climax overtook me, wracking my body from the tip of my head to the curl of my toes.

"Shit..." JC hissed a hot blast of air onto my face before he lowered himself again. He moved steadily, heaving short breaths, a light mist of sweat covering him, a salty sheen that was now seeping into my skin. He was warm, his skin pink, his body trembling. With a sudden jerk, JC let out a grunt and collapsed, his body fully relaxing on top of me.

"See," he choked out. "That was what?" Pant, pant, a glance at the clock. "Seven minutes?"

"Hah," I responded, chuckling, still breathing hard myself. "If that. You're proud of seven minutes?"

"I am if it counted. Did it?"

"Fuck yeah." I nodded, grinning ear to ear. "It counted."

JC sat up, running his fingers through his hair. "Well then, that's all I care about." The t-shirt he was wearing, damp from sweat came off and hit the door of the closet where he tossed it. He turned around, offering a cheeky grin and a hand. "You need a shower."

"So do you," I grumbled, not moving. "You know, I'm not sure I like quickies."

"No?" JC dropped his hand and tilted his head to the left. "Why not?"

"Look at us." I pointed to him, and then to myself. My dress, no longer a lovely, shimmering, body hugging weave of fabric but a rumpled, bunched up mess, pushed up above my waist. "You still have your socks on. So not hot."

"What?" He winked, almost laughing. "You look hot."

I rolled my eyes and huffed in frustration, sitting up to lean back on my elbows. "We have a routine. The routine allows for maximum satisfaction for the both of us. Parts of my body-and yours-were untouched. Unkissed. Un... caressed." I sat up, swinging my legs over the side of the bed, unzipping and disrobing as I went. My dress landed on top of his t-shirt. "I'm just not sure I like quickies, that's all."

"Well... who says things will stay untouched, unkissed, un...caressed?" He followed me into the closet and stood right behind me, pushing me toward the bathroom door. "Come on. Get your ass in the shower, mama. Round two."

Giddy, I headed straight for the door. "Whoever heard of two rounds of a quickie?"

"I don't follow rules. I do whatever I want."

"As long as it counts."

"I always make it count."

*

An hour later, satisfied and squeaky clean, we fell into bed, gravitating toward each other and intertwining our limbs. The TV was on but the volume was low and the single lamp on the bedside table still burned. In the back of my mind, it was how I wanted every night to end-without want for a single thing, warm and comfortable and wrapped up in my man.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" JC asked, mid yawn. He had to be completely exhausted by then.

I snorted, burrowing my head deeper into his chest. "Laundry and then packing. Gonna take me all damn day to pick out what I'm taking to Greece."

"You packing for me, too?"

"Yes. Otherwise you'll bring that ugly hat and all your jeans that are too tight." JC started to laugh and I lightly pinched him. "I'm serious. I don't intend to fight some Goddess for your affection."

"Pretty sure they won't challenge you to a duel at sunrise, baby."

"But if they do? I don't wanna have to hurt ‘em."

JC laughed, long and loud. "Okay, well I think I'll do my session early and then come back here and work. I'll be around if you need help. Or a quickie."

"You're ridiculous."

"You'll thank me tomorrow, when you see me hangin' out. You know you like that."

"Watching me do all the work... I do love that. That's awesome."

"Especially when you're all bent over with your ass in the air, scrubbing something. Turns me on."

"Everything turns you on. You're working yourself out of a quickie tomorrow."

"And... shutting up... now."

I giggled, my eyes becoming heavy and sliding closed against the flicker of the TV. JC's fingers found their way into my hair and worked through the waves and curls. The feeling was soothing and comforting.

"Serena...hey, babe. You sleepin'?"

I was almost asleep, and just barely heard him. Had I not been laying on him and felt him say my name, I wouldn't have heard him at all. Without even opening my eyes, I mumbled, "Mmm?"

"About our trip...we have a couple extra guests coming to see us off."

My eyes popped open and I sat up halfway. Our flight was direct from Atlanta to Greece. We'd planned to have a buffer of a few days in Atlanta before heading out, a selfish move for both of us-JC could get some time with Dallas and I could see my family and friends. Apparently, there was now a twist, presented as nonchalantly as if he'd said the sky was blue.

"What?" I asked, preparing for the worst.

"My parents and Heather want to come up, since we'll be so close. They're heading up to DC for some family thing so they'll stop on the way. "

 "Oh... "I laid back down, satisfied that the twist wouldn't ruin our well laid vacation plans. "It's nice of them to come up and see you for a change."

"Whatever," JC said, scoffing. "As many times as I've gone to Atlanta, they've never come up to see me. They're coming to see you."

I grinned, my heart swelling. "I can't help it, I'm so lovable."

"And modest, too."

"Mmmm. Tell you what...my parents love your parents. I say we do a big family dinner and then disappear. Last thing I need is stress before I get on a plane for 20 hours."

"Deal," JC said, a heavy hand patting my back and a yawn coming from deep within him. He pointed the remote at the TV and it snapped off. "Excuse me, missy? The lamp is on, on your side of the bed."

He pushed me until I rolled over, snapped off the lamp and rolled back to my spot, plastered up against him, a leg between his and an arm across his belly.

###

 

Nostalgia washed over me, driving through the streets of my hometown. Aside from college, Denver and Vail, Atlanta was all I'd ever known before I met JC. My life, my whole world was within its borders. A fun Friday night was bowling at 300 or the Fork & Screen, a movie theater where you could watch a movie and eat a meal.

The week before, I'd attended a red carpet event with my celebrity boyfriend, and shook hands with well known people, household names. Without a second thought, we often ate at restaurants with a permanent installation of paparazzi milling around the entrance. A trip to Whole Foods sometimes involved ducking and weaving cameras and microphones and sharpie wielding fans. I would have never imagined living that kind of life when I lived in Atlanta, and I remembered thinking I could never leave because I wouldn't want to saddle anyone with the care of Regina. Not even a year later, so many things -- and I-- had changed so drastically. I hardly recognized myself, and taking in the minor changes I noticed on the drive, hardly recognized the town I grew up in.

The road to Melissa's was still ingrained in my brain. I may have been driving a different car but my arms still knew where to turn, how to take the short cut, the exact angle I'd need to hit to turn into the driveway. I made my mark, perfectly centered in front of the second garage door. No sooner had we unsnapped our seat belts did the front door of the house swing open and Annette come flying out of it, red hair gliding on air behind her, a long teary moan in severe contrast to the smile on her face. She danced outside my car door, chanting, "Open it, open it, Goddammit open your door before I fucking rip it off!"

I laughed, braced myself, and popped the latch, stepping out of the car and into a long, warm, hug. She clung to my neck as I wrapped my arms around her, patting her back and trying to soothe her.

"You'd think I had been gone for years," I said, with a laugh in my throat but a tear in my eye. "I don't even think it's been six months."

"I can't help it," she warbled. "I missed you. We missed you. Didn't we, Mel?"

Annette finally let go and stood back, swiping at her face with a handy wad of Kleenex that Melissa, standing behind her, supplied. The shorter and less emotional of the two, Melissa and I stood eye to eye, so my heart almost broke when I glanced into her browns, expecting jovial teasing but seeing a tear spill over the edge of each eye and slowly crawl down a cheek.

"Yeah," she said, her tone low and quiet. "We really missed you." She sniffled, blushed a crimson red, and immediately started giving orders. "Well, let's get this luggage out of the car and some beers open and some relaxing going on, here. I've only got you for two days. I want to make the most of it"

The four of us managed to unpack our small rental car, stuffed with our luggage and carry-ons and put them away in the guest suite.

"Hey..." JC bent over me while I dug through my suitcase for a different pair of shoes. "Remember the last time we stayed here?"

A sultry half smile crossed my lips. "I sure do. You called me old."

"Before that," he said, nodding his head toward the bed.

Smug, I went back to my task, righting the piles of clothing and slipping my feet out of the sneakers I wore on the flight and into a pair of sandals. Of course I remembered the last time we stayed in that room. It still ranked as some of the best sex we'd ever had, mostly because we hadn't seen each other in months. The anticipation and excitement and sheer missing each other created an explosive connection.

JC sat on the edge of the bed and scrolled through the latest messages on his phone. "I'm not sure we can repeat that scenario," I finally said, sitting next to him. "But uhm... we can try." He didn't look up from the device, but the grin on his face said everything I needed to know. "Dallas?"

Nope," he said, shaking his head. "Not yet. It's comin' though. That was mom and dad, they're about halfway here." He pressed the button on top of the phone and the screen went black, then slid it back into his pocket. "I guess I'll go meet them and maybe see Dallas or whatever. Let you hang out with your girls and talk about me."

"We'll try to be nice."

"Sure you will. I know you girls. You get going and all of a sudden, everything is the man's fault. Two lesbians and a straight girl... I'm outnumbered."

"I said I'd be nice! I'll protect your image, I promise." I stood up and headed for the bedroom door.  

"And you're keeping all your promises now, right?"

My head whipped around so fast I nearly gave myself whiplash. I had to, though. I had to look at his face, in his eyes. Was he jabbing at me? Was he still worried about us? Was there residual resentment about our episode that seemed so far away now, but really wasn't? We'd been working so hard to get along and make compromises. Monumental, sweeping changes had blown through our relationship. I thought we were better than ever, but...

JC winced, seeming to notice his mistake right away. He tried to correct himself, stuttering and stammering but unable to utter a complete sentence. I silenced him, bending over him and pressing my lips to his.

"I'm sorry..." he said, trying again. "I didn't mean..." I cut him off again, this time with a firmer kiss. When I pulled back, he was smiling. "Shut up?"

I nodded, smiling back, and then stood and offered a hand to him. He took it and let me pull him up, and once he was standing, wrapped both arms around my shoulders. Together, we waddled out of the bedroom and down the hall to the kitchen and then out to the patio, toward the scent of grilled chicken and stuffed potato skins and freshly uncapped beer. Smelled like home.

*

A spring evening in Atlanta brought a cool tinge to the air, the scent of freshly mowed lawns and sprouting gardens riding the breeze. At dusk, the sky was a pretty pink and periwinkle mix, the view of which was amazing from a vintage wood swing on the wraparound porch. It lazily tilted forward and back as if on a whim- no rhythm, no rhyme, no reason.

"Nice night," JC mused, interrupting a span of comfortable silence. After a long afternoon of eating and laughing and talking-and JC enduring being picked on by the two lesbians and one straight girl-we stole away to our side of the house and decided to sit on the porch for a few minutes. It was nice to enjoy the trappings of suburbia while we could.

I nodded, inhaling a lungful of fresh spring air, so unlike LA's thick layer of smog. "Yeah. Really nice night. I miss nights like this."

"Honey, listen..." JC scooted closer to me, dropping an arm around my shoulder. I knew this was coming. Expected it. "Earlier... I didn't mean to be so flippant. I don't want you to feel like you have to keep paying for something."

"I know. I know you didn't mean it like it sounded. That's the difference between you and me. I would have meant it."

He exhaled, his shoulders relaxing. He must have been tense all day, thinking I was upset. "Just don't be mad at me. I'm getting ready to spend a week with you on another continent. You being mad at me will make it hard to enjoy myself."

I rolled my eyes but laughed. "But not impossible."

"Heh," he chuckled, his arm tightening around my neck. "I used to be in a group with four other guys. One of them was Chris Kirkpatrick." He laughed, again. "So, no. Not impossible."

I laughed with him, enjoying the feeling of his laugh vibrating through his chest. Or was that his phone? Another short buzz confirmed it-his phone was ringing. JC leaned back and dug it out of his pocket. "Guess who?" he asked, before picking up the call. "Dallas! ‘Sup, man?"

I listened to one half of an animated conversation that ended with ‘see you soon'.  I glanced up at him, an eyebrow raised. "Got a hot date?"

"Uh..." JC shook his head, sliding the phone away again. "I wouldn't say that. He does want to get together. I might go have a beer or something. Wait for my parents to call me and meet up with them." He paused, dipping his head toward me, batting the lashes of two blue puppy dog eyes at me. "Maybe?"

"Go."

"Really?"

"Geez. Yes." I stood up from the swing, pulling him with me back through the patio door into the bedroom.  The keys to the rental car were sitting on top of the bureau. I picked them up and pressed them into his hand and then pulled him out of the room, down the hallway and to the front door.

"But..."

"Don't ‘but' me. I came to see my family. You came to see Dallas." I stretched up onto my toes, wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him. He was still protesting when I released him and pushed him out the door. "Be good. Have fun. Call me if you get drunk. Atlanta Police can be assholes."  I watched him start the car and back out of the driveway, waiting until he was out of sight to step back into the house. I closed the door behind me, heaving a quiet sigh.

Giggles erupted in the living room. I followed the sound until I found Annette and Melissa in their usual spots on the couch, curled up together and tangled in each other. Each of them held a glass of wine and by the looks of things, they weren't on their first glass.

"You sure pushed him out quick. Need some alone time?"

I fell into my usual spot, the oversized chair with a perfect view of the flat screen TV and perpendicular to the couch, in the usual way, with my feet hanging over the side. "Have I ever mentioned that I love him?"

"Once or twice..."

"Here and there..."

"Well, I do. He's been working so hard lately to be a good boyfriend. I want him to go and have some fun with his friend." I sank back, becoming one with the cushion. 

"And you? Are you being a good girlfriend?" Nonchalant, Melissa sipped a swallow of wine from her glass.

"Yeah. I've been really good, lately."

"Have you? Really?"

"Really. You can ask him. I'm done being stupid. Learned my lesson." I brushed my hands together and flung them out into the air. "All done. Old Serena is no more."

"Good," she said, with a resolute nod. "Very good. I'm glad to see you two back together, honey."

"Me too. I always thought it would suck to not be with him. I was right. I was miserable."

"Mmm..." Melissa hummed into her glass, taking another sip. "Yeah, so was he."

"Poor guy..." It almost made me tear up to think about those long, cold, hard three weeks. Longest weeks of my life-even after dealing with Regina for a decade.

Melissa shook her head and leaned forward, setting her glass on the coffee table in front of her. "No, I mean it. We talked. A few times. He was miserable."

I swung my legs back over the side of the chair and sat up, my eyes bugged out. "He... you... talked?"

She nodded. "He called a few days after you left, wanting to know what to do. Since I knew you better, I guess."

"Wait... what? He wanted to... what? Call me?"

"Had the phone in his hand. Called me instead. I'm glad he did, because-"

"NO! Wait. Let's go back to the part where you let me wallow in three weeks of shit and didn't even say anything about him wanting to talk to me. I spent that whole time thinking he didn't care and he didn't want me back. You didn't think I needed to know that?"

A long moment of silence passed before Melissa answered. Annette's head had been following the volley from Melissa to me and back to Melissa. Now, nothing but the occasional quiet sip of wine could be heard.

"No," she said. "I told him to let you call him."

I fell back against the pillows in a dramatic tantrum. "Why, Melissa?! You knew I was miserable. I called you that night! You told me to find a way to fix it and then told him not to call me. That doesn't make any sense! You knew I wanted to be with him-"

"And he wanted to be with you. So what?" She paused, tossing her hands in the air. "You wanted to be with each other before you had that fight. What difference did that make?"

"But-"

"But you, Serena, had things you had to figure out for yourself. If he went around fixing all your fuckups, you'd never figure things out and you'd never learn those lessons. If he goes running after you like he always does-"

"You fucking-"

"He asked me what I thought!" For the first time, the tone of her voice rose above normal. She was beet red, her eyes narrowed, her lip on the verge of curling. "I told him it would probably be best to let you work things out in your head. He could have ignored my advice, hung up and dialed you, but he didn't. That means he thought I was right, too. Don't be pissed at me when you know good and damn well you fucked yourself over."

 "Look..." Steady. Breathe. "I just...don't like the idea of people going behind my back to..." I used the air quotes sarcastically. "To ‘teach me a lesson'. You could have just as easily called me and said he wanted to talk to me but I should probably call first. You could have helped."

Fuck, my lip was trembling. I almost bit a hole in it, trying not to cry. "Instead, you left me where I crumpled, in a pile on the ground. How is that a friend? Remember me? You've known me half my life? You're supposed to be on my side?"

"Serena, honey, you know I love you and I would do anything to see you happy. And maybe I should have called you but... well, he asked me not to talk to you about it. He said he would handle it."

I felt an eyebrow creep toward my hairline. He did what?

"He made me promise. He said that if you wanted to be with him, you knew where the house was and you knew what his phone number was and you knew your way back home. I wanted to tell you to get your ass back home, because I didn't think your pride would let you just go back. He was sure that you would come to him-I wasn't. I guess he knew you better. You did what I never expected you to do."

I didn't even know what to feel. My emotions were a jumble--elation that JC had so much faith in me, sadness that Melissa had so little. And bewilderment that someone who hardly knew me said something that stirred things so deeply inside me that I would have moved mountains to make my way back to him. On top of everything, a tiny curl of fear crawled through me. I was on my last turn with the people that loved me. They'd talked and talked and all but given up on me. If I hadn't have made the moves I made when I made them, I'd still be single. And miserable. And flying first class and spending a romantic week in Santorini, Greece with my mother. I had to stop myself from groaning at the prospect.

"I'm sorry," Melissa blurted. "I know you asked me to butt out of your relationship with JC a long time ago, and for a good reason. But when he called... he just sounded sad. Not crying or anything. Just sad. And if things were going to work out, they needed to work out for good, not a temporary fix. You know how I was, when you first told me about him. It's gotta mean something that I'm so invested right now."

I remembered. She smacked me on the arm and gave me the patented Melissa Wren tongue lashing because I'd told JC I loved him. Much, much too early.

"Yes, Queen of the Skeptics. I remember. You said I committed relationship suicide."

"And I was wrong, wasn't I?" She shrugged, picking up her wine glass again. I got up and went to the kitchen. I... needed a drink.

"Serena..." Melissa called from the living room mere feet way. "We're okay, right? You're not irreversibly pissed, are you? I won't find any horse heads in my bed or fishes on my doorstep tomorrow, right?"

"I'm Greek, not Italian," I said, my head in the fridge. I plucked a cold Corona from its spot in the six count cardboard case and popped the cap with the bottle opener, then went back to the living room and my warm, comfortable spot. "I know you mean well."

Half the bottle was gone before I knew it. I... really needed a drink. "And," I said, squelching a belch. "You were right. You always are. About everything. I really was about to lose him, and realizing that made me appreciate him more. Not to toot my own horn, but I treat him so much better, now."

"You mean not saying shitty things to him?"

"For starters," I admitted. "He likes my spunk, but we don't have to be mean to each other. I was mean to him."

Annette piped up, her first comment since I'd shoved JC out the door. "Did you figure out why? I mean, you had to have a reason... did it just come naturally to you?"

I fidgeted in my seat, suddenly embarrassed and slightly uncomfortable. "The thing was... he didn't have to be with me. It was a choice, always was. Always will be. But I wanted him to prove it. Prove he made the choice and that he would keep making it. I wanted to put him through his paces, you know?"

 I guzzled another swallow of Corona... my throat was so dry.

"But the more he worked to prove that to me, the harder I made him work. He was never going to pass the test. The way I set him up, he would have eventually given up. I was pushing from all sides-love me, prove to me that you want to be with me, get back to making music, do what I want you to do with your career, stop, now go, go on tour but be at home..."

I rolled my eyes, just listening to myself describe my confused, irrational behavior. How JC stayed with me so long was beyond me. Maybe he really, really loved me. Maybe he saw the potential. Or maybe we were both just as fucked up as the other and that was why we made such a good match. I got him. He certainly got me.

"I wasn't giving him anything, though. He had nothing that guaranteed that I was going to be around. He never made me work for him. Until I left. And I guess I understand, you know, him wanting me to do the work. Prove some things to him. Put me through my paces. It took all of that to make me see that I was about to lose what I really wanted."

Melissa was smiling, nodding along. I was finally getting it. "And what's that? What is it that you really want?"

"I want him," I said, quietly. Admitting it, out loud, in all seriousness. "I want a future with him. I want a lifetime and more, with him. I want little girls and boys that look like us. I want the fairy tale, as much as I can get of it. I want to marry him."

I giggled, eyeing Melissa and Annette. "And I want a big, fat, Greek wedding."

They collapsed against each other in laughter, already bouncing horrible bridesmaid dress color and design ideas off of each other. "How about fuchsia and lemon? No! Seafoam green taffeta!"

"Stop!" I howled, laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. "There will be no seafoam green anything and definitely no taffeta. Just... stop that right now."

"Okay, okay." Melissa down the last of her wine and set the glass back on the table. Annette's empty glass joined hers, and then as if by instinct, their fingers intertwined. "So, have you guys talked about the... you know, big fat seafoam taffeta thing?"

"Naw," I said, waving her off.  "He's sort of backed off of being so pushy about it. He said we'd talk about it when I was ready. I just haven't brought it up."

"Well, are you going to?"

"Eventually."

"In Greece?"

I grinned from behind the neck of my beer bottle. "Maybe."

"Do you think you'll come back engaged?"

I snorted."Hardly."

"No? You might..."

"Do you know something I don't?"

Melissa raised her free hand, innocence all over her face. "I swear, I know nothing. He hasn't talked to me about that at all."

"Hmmm. Well. I still doubt it. He hasn't brought it up at all. He seems content. Finally."

Annette sighed. "A girl can dream. Like this girl," she said, pointing to herself. "I'm exhausted. It was emotionally draining to see you again after so long. We'll see you tomorrow still, right?" Annette was standing, stretching, and removing her earrings and other jewelry. We always knew Annette was completely done for the day when her jewelry came off.

"Yes. Big dinner up at my parents place tomorrow night. Oh, and JC's parents and sister will be there, too."

"Oooh," Annette cooed, while bending over to brush her cheek against mine. "We get to meet the in laws. I feel so special."

"Yeah. And then the next day I have to get on a plane and fly somewhere far, far away."

"With your boyfriend," Melissa added. "Whom you love. You guys will have so much fun."

"I'm excited, actually." The anticipation of having a week of JC all to myself in Greece was building all over again. I had to calm myself or I'd be a wreck before we even got on the plane. "I think I'm going to turn in, too. I want to drop in on my dad, tomorrow. Take him to lunch or something."

We said our good nights and I wandered off to the guest suite, lingered in a long, warm shower and crawled into bed. Snuggled under the covers, the cool night air from the open window softly blowing over me, I immediately fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

Sometime later, I felt a dip in the bed, cold lips against my cheek, and a warm body smashed up against me.

"Mmmph. What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean, what am I doing here? You silly."

My nose twitched at the faint scent of weed and liquor-he'd definitely been around Dallas. I yawned, trying not to wake up. "I would have thought you'd stay with your parents tonight."

"Nope. I belong to you. I'm here with you." JC snuggled even closer, as if it were possible. I gave a half ass effort at protesting the fact that he didn't take a shower, but gave up easily. "Besides, I would have had to sleep with Heather."

"Does Heather not like to spoon?"

"Heather likes to kick."  

The mental image of a nearly six foot tall JC cowering in one corner of the bed while his tiny, cute baby sister dominated the rest was amusing. I never would have imagined she wielded such power over him.  "Well, I won't kick you. You smell like you had a good time tonight."

JC nodded, his breathing already deepening. "You?"

"The best," I said, relaxing against him, seeking out his hand and intertwining my fingers with his. "I had the best time."

"You guys talk about me?"

I nodded, smiling. "Uh huh. A lot. But in the best way possible."

"That's the best it's gonna get, huh?"

"Pretty much." JC inhaled deeply and then exhaled. A snore wouldn't be very long off, now. "I love you, Joshua Scott."

"Ooh. First and middle name."

I laughed. "That means I'm really serious."

"Well thanks. And I love you, Serena Joy. Equal seriousness."

"Thank you. Now, go to sleep."

###

The next evening, Annette's Lexus pulled into the circular driveway in front of the familiar lake house. Several cars were already parked in front of the garage and around the edge of the driveway, so we maneuvered between Chris and Andrea's SUV and a car with Florida plates. JC and his family were already there.

Out of nowhere, I was nervous. I knew everyone in the house, had spent hours upon hours with them, but suddenly and inexplicably, I was nervous. I smoothed down my skirt and checked my blouse to make sure I wasn't showing too much cleavage. My mother would just click her tongue and roll her eyes but I didn't want Karen to think I was a harlot.

The front door was opening as Melissa, Annette and I climbed out of the car and walked up the steps. Matthew and Devon, dressed in jeans and polo shirts came careening out of the house, screaming at the top of their lungs. I braced for impact as they both slammed into me, their spindly arms around my waist, arguing over who was hugging me more.

"Geez, guys. You really know how to welcome a girl home!"

"There's food inside, and drinks, and JC is here."

"And his mom! And you know what? JC is adopted like you! Did you know that?"

"Uh..." I blushed, slowly making my way up the steps to the house. "Yep, I knew that. Did he tell you that?"

"Yeah," Devon said, his tone accusatory. "After Matthew the dummy said he didn't look like his mom."

"I'm not a dummy!"

"Boys! No one is a dummy. Let's just... let's go in the house so I can say hello. You have to let go first, so I can walk though." Reluctantly, they released their grip and were content to hold my hand and lead me into the house, which was warm and noisy with the sounds of multiple conversations. Dinner smelled delicious-my stomach rumbled and I salivated over the scent of my mom's spicy roast beef and homemade rolls.

I rounded the corner from the front door into the living room where most people seemed to be gathered: Dad, Chris, Garrett and Roy were in a corner in conversation, drinks all around. Andrea, Kim, Karen, and Heather were seated comfortably in the chairs and couches well placed around the spacious room.

Faces brightened when the boys pulled me in, announcing that we had arrived. After a few minutes of greetings and introductions, I looked around, counting who was missing. "Mom is in the kitchen, Chloe must be napping...and I assume CJ has kidnapped JC?"

"Uh, yeah. Within five minutes of arriving," said Andrea. "I'll go rescue him."  She left, wandering down the hall to the play room, where no doubt the two were engaged in some video game activity.

Dad came from behind me and gave my shoulders a squeeze. "Sorry I missed you for lunch today, sweet pea. I had a client come in from Nashville. Had to hobnob and such. I would have much rather been with my baby girl."

"That's okay, dad. I had a nice visit with Chris." I tipped my head around my dad and waved at my brother, who shyly waved back and shoved a hand back in his pocket. "So when did that happen?"

"Chris working for me?" His eyes rolled up to the ceiling as if this was a long, well told story and not a recent occurrence. "Well, you know Coke had some layoffs, recently. Chris wasn't on the list but it wouldn't be long until he was. Garrett was safe but Chris wanted something with a little more security, since-"

"Aunt Serena!" CJ's voice was at a decibel that would break glass. I whipped around to see him, that precious face surrounded by wiry blonde curls. JC was not far behind him, in dark jeans, a dress shirt and jacket. One hand had been commandeered by CJ. The other lifted in a quick, funny wave. "I'm gonna have a baby!"

I squinted in confusion. "You're what?"

"I mean... mommy's gonna have a baby. I'm the big brother."

I looked at Chris and then at Andrea, who were both blushing but grinning. And glowing. "Oh my God!" And then a thought struck me... "How... pregnant are you?"

"About four months or so," Andrea said, mindlessly rubbing her belly. Christmas. I remembered Chris saying something about how JC's singing had worked some magic between them. Smug, I winked at Chris.

"Must be something going around," JC said. "My brother and his girlfriend are having a baby, too."

Karen made her way over to Andrea to fawn, Chris and Roy shook hands, and then Roy and my dad exchanged proud Grandpa nods. The boys ran off to play more video games, the room filled again with conversation, and JC found a glass of wine for him and me and stood next to me, taking it all in.

"Your family is really cool, honey."

"So's yours baby."

"We lucked out, huh?"

I glanced up at him. He looked down at me, and then bent to kiss me, his lips lightly brushing mine. "Totally."

 

*

Dinner was held in the large formal dining room, with the boys at a small table in the corner and everyone else gathered around the oblong table. The din of conversations across the table was just slightly higher than the jazz station on the radio in the background. The sight and sounds and smells conspired to warm my heart, so much I almost wanted to cry. Instead I slipped a hand under the table and onto JC's thigh. His hand met mine there and squeezed.

"Serena, I just have to say... you're looking so gorgeous." Surprised my head shot up in Kim's direction. "I mean, not that you weren't before... I mean... shit." She blushed and I laughed and her husband gave her a playful tap on the arm. "Well you look good. That's what I wanted to say."

"Thank you, Kim. I'm feeling good." I shot a look over to JC, who had a corner of his lip wedged between his teeth. "Things are good right now."

Dad passed a steaming plate of beef down the line to Chris. "So LA is working out then?"

"LA is great. I just had to find my groove, you know? Not wait for JC to make a life for me. After we had our... incident...I just started digging in. I'm taking some dance classes, doing some volunteering. I, uh... quit my job, as everyone knows. I picked up some clients of my own and I work from home, now."

"See, I think you'd be really happy doing that for a long time," Mom said. "Because you just never know what might happen. JC might get an offer to tour somewhere, or you might get pregnant-"

Laughter erupted, no one laughing more loudly than JC and I. "Whoa, mom. The way everyone around us is popping out babies, we don't need to have one for a few years. We have enough nieces and nephews to keep us busy."

"Well, besides," JC said, "We'll want to have settled somewhere close to the families, right honey?"

"Right, so the kids can see aunts and uncles and cousins-"

"Well, and there's the free babysitting."

More laughter erupted, spawning different conversations. Under the table, JC's hand had moved to the inside of my thigh, alternately squeezing and rubbing the skin with the pad of his thumb. It was all I could do to breathe, keep the expression on my face neutral, and not sweat. JC and I talking about our kids-in real time and not hypothetically, like there was an actual future and these things were really, with every certainty going to happen, was turning me on. Way on.

We smiled and laughed and joked through dinner. Listened to stories and chatted through dessert and coffee. Looked on lovingly while the bond between our families seemed to grow stronger. My brothers were already being roped into planning a trip to Disney before school started in the fall, to which Roy and Karen insisted on having everyone out to the house to visit.

"We'll come down there for that," JC offered. "Or maybe we could do Thanksgiving at our place. What do you think, honey?"

It took a full three to four seconds before I realized JC was talking to me. Thanksgiving. Our place? As in... "The Winter Park house? That would be perfect. The boys would love the lake out there, too."

As the conversation continued, I sat back against the couch and tried to breathe. Months ago, that conversation would have scared the pants off of me. I'd have stared at JC, hard and cold, like it wouldn't make any sense to plan something for Thanksgiving, so far away. You never know what might happen...

And now, I was already antsy for November to roll around, thankful for the freedom to drop whatever was going on and fly off to Orlando with my boyfriend and spend the holidays with our families. The rock star wife thing wasn't a bad gig.

JC's arm dropped around my shoulder, a mindless gesture as he was talking, telling another long, drawn out story. I reached up to his hand hanging off of my shoulder and wound my fingers between his and settled against him. I sighed, content.

 

*

Good afternoon, and welcome to flight 5988, non stop from Atlanta to Athens, Greece. My name is Mindy, and I'll be your flight attendant for first class. In coach, we have April and Donna. We'll be taking off momentarily, so please have your seatbelts fastened and your carryon items stowed away. Thank you and enjoy your flight.

"You alright, sweetie? You need to hold my hand or something?"

"Nah," I said, picking up the Sky Mall magazine from the pocket of the seat in front of me. "I think I'm okay. I'll let you know."

"Okay. Yeah, just let me know." His seatbelt snapped closed with a click and he sat back, hands clasped together over his midsection. Waiting. After a few seconds, he crossed his legs at the ankles and one began to nervously twitch.

I laid a hand on his leg and looked up at him. "Do you need to hold my hand?"

He chuckled, looking away. "I haven't flown overseas in a long time. Like... I dunno. It's been years."

"Since you toured the UK, maybe?"

"Maybe. Or... maybe once after that. I flew to like... Amsterdam with Lance for some charity thing. But I haven't taken a flight this long since..."

I could finish his sentence. Since *NSYNC. A lot had changed, since then. I gave his leg a comforting tap. "You just let me know if you need me. I'm right here for you, baby."

"Well, I'm not gonna freak out like you do."

"I do not freak out. Anymore."

"Thanks to me."

"Ugh, you take credit for everything."

"Shouldn't I? Think about where you'd be if I hadn't have helped you through that flight to LA."

"You know what, JC?" I put the magazine away, snapped my seatbelt closed and reached over the arm rest for his hand. "Let's help each other. Okay?"

JC looked over at me, his eyes opening wider as the plane began to back away from the jet way. He squeezed our hands together, mine wrapped up in his.

"Here we gooooo..."

"Oh, geez, honey."

Chapter End Notes:
Up next.. in love and in Greece... will a question be popped or will they keep dancing around it? 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: missionary oral girlontop love outdoorsex makeupsex hotel boyfriendjc postsync showersex boybands christmas vacation producerjc