In the living room, a bleary eyed Tyler was tucked into one corner of the couch. Mason was cradled in his arms, sucking down a bottle.  

"Babies have no sense of time," Tyler said, as I entered the living room.  As many times as I saw Tyler after an all night alcohol induced binge, I'd never seen him so ragged. "I never knew this time of day existed before I had a kid."

"You were passed out during that time."

He nodded, his head bobbing front to back. "You've got a point. What are you doing up?"

"I need to get started on some dinner stuff in a little while, but I really thought I'd be alone at this time of day. Mason had other plans."

I watched the two of them for a few moments. I loved the look on Tyler's face and the returning gaze of his son. Mason's hand closed around Tyler's thumb and he smiled around the nipple in his mouth. Tyler smiled back. And then looked at me, like did you see that?

I returned the smile. "You know this is weird, right?"

He laughed. "Tell me about it. This time last year, I was shaking in my boots about introducing my girlfriend to my parents. This year, I'm holding a kid. That's mine. A part of me." He shook his head. "I wouldn't have believed it last year, if you tried to tell me this was how it was going to be."

"Life changes pretty quickly. Almost while you're not looking, huh?"

"What's that saying? Life is what happens while you're not paying attention, or something like that?" He leaned his head back and opened his mouth in a loud, wide yawn, his eyes squeezing closed. "I don't even understand why he's awake. He was up most of the night. If I didn't get up with him this morning, I'd be divorced when I got back to LA."

"You want me to take him? Go back to bed for a little bit?" I held out my hands and in seconds they were full of baby. Tyler handed me the bottle and spread a towel over my shoulder.

"I'm exhausted. Another hour would feel really good. Thanks."

I waved him off, not even watching him stumble out of the room and up the stairs. My attention was all on the little man in my arms, staring up at me with those brown eyes. He opened his mouth and I thought he was going to fuss, but he smiled at me and stuck his tongue out.

"You are so much like your dad," I said, propping him up on my shoulder and patting him on the back. He yawned, loudly, and then burped. "So much. Except we like it when you yawn and burp. Not so much your daddy."

In a few minutes, he was asleep, too. I lowered him onto the couch and watched him sleep for a few minutes before I got up and went into the kitchen to start the coffee. Aunt Serena had had plenty of experience with babies-taking care came naturally to me. I wondered, though, what it must feel like to have your life altered so drastically, and forever. To know that something-someone you created depended on you for its very life.

Sobering, I imagined. Hence the huge change in Tyler since finding out he was going to be a father. He was the same, mostly. But different. Responsible. Mature. Loving. It was nice to see.

I checked on Mason here and there while I moved around in the kitchen. The ham and turkey had been cooked the night before, so we only had to warm them up about an hour before dinner. Other side items had been cooked the night before and could be warmed easily on the stove top. I needed to get started on the rolls I planned to make and pie crusts and the red velvet cake that Karen asked me to make, and I wanted to surprise JC with a peanut butter pie.

Once Mason awoke again, I transferred him to his car seat and set him up on the kitchen table and turned on the portable DVD Player. We didn't have anything kid friendly, but Mason seemed to enjoy Devil Wears Prada just as much as I did.

By the time anyone stirred upstairs, I had a cake in the oven, two pie crusts made, filled and in the other oven. Now I was rolling dough around in flour and shaping rolls with my hands. It was Gram's recipe, and I'd never made them before, so I was moving slowly and concentrating on perfect form.

"Well, aren't you a vision of domesticity?"

I jumped, managing not to scream as I whipped around at the sound of JC's voice. He stood just inside the kitchen where the tile floor met hard wood, leaning against the entryway. In the morning sun, his eyes sparkled and his smile looked extra bright. He didn't even have bags under his eyes. I started breathing again and went back to my task.

"Sorry." He headed for the cabinet, pulled down a cup and poured himself some coffee. He leaned against the counter, one leg crossed over another, watching Mason transfixed by the movie. "You really think a movie about the evils of the fashion industry is appropriate for our nephew?"

I smiled at our. He knew exactly what he was doing, but I didn't bite. Instead, I said, "He should learn early that Meryl Streep is a Goddess."

"I guess."  

He sipped his coffee and watched me portion out little balls of dough, roll them in flour and form them on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. When I had a few dozen, laid out on several sheets, I covered them with a cloth and set them on shelves in the pantry.

"Why are you putting them in there?" He asked, when I came out of the pantry.

I was cleaning up my mess, removing the dough hook from the mixer and setting everything into the sink. "The dough needs to rise. Are you hungry?"

The look on his face said ‘duh', but he shrugged. "Whenever you get to it."

While my cakes and pies were baking and my dough was forming, I dug out some food to make for breakfast. Eggs and toast and bacon sounded good and hearty, and it would be easy to make a lot. Then everyone could serve themselves.

"Need help?" I looked at JC and then did a double-take. Was he offering to help me cook?

"What's wrong?" I asked. He never wanted to help me cook. Watch? Yes. I was used to that. Try to do it himself? He was doing more of that, lately. Help? Never. Who was this man and what did he do with my boyfriend who was afraid of the stove?

"Nothing," he answered, wearing his most innocent expression. "Just asking. So, no?"

"Not no. Just...well, you wanna beat eggs to scramble, or butter bread for toast?"

"Beat eggs. How many?"

"Just do the whole dozen. Between you and Tyler, you'll go through most of them anyway." I handed him a bowl and the carton of eggs. "Do it over there, at the table. Mason can supervise."

Obediently, he took the bowl and the carton of eggs and sat down at the table. Tap tap. Crack. Tap tap. Crack. I tried not to watch, and also held my tongue so I didn't remind him not to let shells get in. He was helping. I'd dig out the shells later if I had to.

I pulled a loaf of bread from the bread bin and untied the twist holding it closed and opened the tub of margarine. I spread a thin layer on four slices of bread and put them in the toaster. I pushed the lever down, kind of laughing at myself. Buttering the bread was the easier job, obviously, from the amount of effort JC was putting into whipping the eggs in the bowl.

I pulled out a large, wide skillet from the cabinet and set it on the stove. While it warmed, I slid the tip of a knife through the tops of two packages of bacon and laid as many as I could get in the skillet. In a few minutes, they were sizzling and turning a deep, golden brown. Behind me, the toast popped up.

"I got it," JC said, pulling them out and stacking them on a plate. "More?"

I nodded, tending to my bacon. "Four more. Thanks."

I transferred the perfectly cooked slices of bacon to a plate and dropped more into the skillet, wondering about the man behind me, happily buttering bread for toast and babbling baby talk to Mason.

"Hey, sleepyheads," JC said. I turned around to find Tyler and Allison in the kitchen, awake and dressed, albeit still looking pretty sleepy. "You two look beat. Parenthood must be awesome."

Tyler grimaced, brushing past JC and heading for the coffee. "Yeah, it's a lot like Unclehood, except I don't get to give him back when he starts crying. You want coffee, babe?"

Allison shook her head. She had Mason in her arms and was heading back out of the kitchen. I was sad to see him go. "I need to feed him. I'll have some after that."      

Tyler poured a cup of coffee and sat at the table, staring into the bowl of beaten eggs. His eyes traveled up toward us, where I was watching bacon cook and JC was watching toast...well, toast. He shook his head and sipped his coffee, but a smile was shining through his eyes.

"What?" JC asked.

"Nothin'," Tyler responded.

"I cook, now. You know."

"Okay. If you want to call watching a toaster cooking. Did you make the pie that I smell, too?"

"I don't bake. I cook. There's a difference, you know."

"Like I said. Okay." Tyler sipped more coffee, and then set his cup on the table, folding his arms in front of him. "We used to cook a lot when we were kids. Remember that?"

JC nodded. "Yep. Sunday morning breakfast before church."

"Heather would do the heavy work, the eggs and stuff. Serena, if you ever want to torture Josh, make him open a can of biscuits."

"Shut up."

I giggled. "I hate those things!"

"So does he. He squints his eyes closed, ‘cause he knows it's gonna pop, he just doesn't know when. Then it does, and he screams." Tyler laughed, reaching for his coffee, again. "It's hilarious."

"I ought to try that sometime."

My bacon was done, so I transferred the slices to the plate where the others were draining and cooling. I turned the heat down and poured off some of the grease. "I'm ready for those eggs now, honey."

JC moved around the counter to grab the bowl. Tyler picked it up and handed it to him with a smirk. I didn't see the look that JC gave him, but Tyler laughed at it, loudly. I wasn't the only one who noticed something going on. Whatever it was, Tyler wasn't questioning it, either.

I quickly scrambled the eggs-which didn't have any shells-and spooned them onto a plate. I set the toast, the bacon and the eggs onto the counter and pointed. "Soup's on. Dig in," I said, then went to get my trays of rolls.

The cake and pies were done, out of the oven and cooling. I brushed the rolls with melted butter and slid them into the oven, then sat down to eat. Everyone else was at the kitchen table, including Mason in a chair, in his car seat. I smiled over at him. He smiled back.

"Thanks for breakfast, Serena," said Allison. "The men in my house don't know how to cook. I only smell food I didn't cook at your house."

"Mmm, you're welcome. My pleasure."

"And thanks for watching the baby this morning. Tyler came back to bed and passed out and I didn't have the energy to ask where the baby was. I figured he was in good hands and I was right." She glanced down at her son and babbled, "Wasn't I right, Mason? You love your aunt Serena, huh?"

He grunted and stuck out his tongue, his eyes dancing around the room. I took that as a yes.

After breakfast, I went back to cooking, taking care of a few miscellaneous items still on the list. Tyler and JC pulled the table and chairs out of the garage and set it up in the corner of the dining room. I picked up a high chair for Chloe, and figured that the babies would sit with their moms. I spread a white linen table cloth over each table, breathing a little easier. Unless JC invited someone random person to dinner, we would have just enough seating.

At 2:00, JC walked into the kitchen, on the phone. "You know how she is. Always in the kitchen. Happy Thanksgiving."  He handed my phone to me and said, "It's Melissa."

I squealed and grabbed it, thanking him then wedging it between my ear and shoulder while I stirred gravy. "Mel! Hey! Happy Thanksgiving!"

"Hey, honey. I hear you have your hands full."

"Yeah, it's a full house, here. Or it was, yesterday."

Melissa laughed. I missed hearing that laugh, and her voice with a touch of Tennessee twang. Lara was amazing, truly a very good friend to me. We had become close over the last year or so, but she was no comparison to Melissa, who knew me like the back of her hand. She was my confidante, my voice of reason, my calm. There had been times, over the last few months that I really needed my friend. What I feared most, and didn't want to happen, seemed to be happening. I regretted not making more time to see her since meeting JC.

I called her, when I knew I was coming to Florida for Thanksgiving and asked her to come down. She quickly declined, saying she felt like she'd be in the way.  Not taking no for an answer, I'd been begging every day since.

"You sure you can't come? If you get in the car now, you can be here by six. We'll hold dinner for you."

"Oh, honey. You know how I hate long car trips. Ever since that time we drove to New Orleans." She had to remind me. Something told me JC wasn't looking forward to any long car trips with me, either. "If I was coming, I would have flown."

"So hop a flight. JC will pay for it." I turned around and winked at him, reading the paper at the table. "He doesn't mind." He gave me a look and went back to the paper.

She laughed, a little too hard. "Even I know better. Anyway, I know you're busy. Lots of things to do. I just wanted to say hello and I love you and- what?" A muffled conversation ensued before she came back."Annette says I'm not the only one that loves you and wants to say hi, so I should say WE. WE love you and WE wanted to say hi. Happy?" I heard Annette laughing in the background.

"I love you guys, miss you guys, too. You really should come down, maybe for the weekend. We're getting together with JC's friend Joey and taking the boys and his daughter to Disney."

"That's not something that would make me want to come down there, Serena."

"And then all the girls are going to get together and do some sort of brunch and wine spa thing. You could totally come. Just think about it."

"Fine, fine. I'll think about it. No promises." She sighed. "Miss you, friend."

"Miss you, too. I hope I see you soon."

"Yeah," she said, her voice uncharacteristically cracking. "Okay. I'm gonna go. Love you." 

We said our goodbyes and I hung up. I stared at the phone for a few seconds before I set it on a counter.

"Everything okay?"

I poured the gravy into a bowl, shaking my head. "She sounded weird. I hope she's alright."

"You haven't seen her in awhile. Maybe you should go up there for a day or so, before we head back."

"Maybe," I said, considering that option. "I don't think I have time. She'd be mad if I left the family to come see her."

"Well, for a minute. But then she'd be happy to see you. Or we could change our tickets and go to Atlanta for a couple of days before-"

"JC. I just..." I set the steaming pot of gravy back onto the stove and shoved my hands in my pockets as I made my way around the counter to the table. I stood next to him and slid an arm across his shoulder.

 "I so appreciate you, right now. I'll figure out a time to go see her, after we get back to LA. I don't need..." I stopped and rephrased. "I want to fix this myself. She's my friend."

JC twisted in his chair so that his legs were out from under the table and pulled me around and into his lap. "She's my friend, too," he said. "I don't like to see you hurting. Or sad. I know you miss her. If it's as easy as changing a plane ticket, I don't see why..." He sighed, his eyes growing wide as mine filled with tears. "Honey."

"I know. You're trying to help, and you're so sweet. I just miss her. I'll see, about the tickets, okay? I'll think about it."  He nodded and pulled me close. I wrapped both arms around his neck and kissed him. "Thank you. I love you."

"Mmhmmm."

"Nope."

He laughed. "I just like making you demand it. Love you, too."  

The doorbell rang. Wild eyed, I glanced at the clock. It was way too early for anyone to be showing up. I sniffled, grabbing a napkin from the wooden holder at the center of the table and wiped my eyes. Tyler answered the door.

"Serena, it's for you."

I looked at JC and he looked at me. He shrugged, shaking his head, and pushed me until I was standing, then followed me out of the kitchen, through the dining room and around the corner into the living room.

I stopped as soon as I saw them. Melissa and Annette, like I hadn't just talked them minutes before, like I hadn't sat in JC's lap and shed a few tears because I missed her-them-so much.

Annette was beaming a huge smile. Melissa looked smug, quite proud of herself that she was able to keep her visit a secret. I started to smile.

"You insufferable bitch."

She smirked. "Hello to you too, hag."

"I was just in the kitchen, crying on JC's shoulder. We almost rearranged our flights home so I could come see you and you were here. In Orlando! I hate you!"

She laughed, coming at me with her arms wide open. "You don't. I promise." I fell into her arms, laughing and crying all over again, but this time the tears were of overwhelming joy. I clung to her, and she let me hug her and then Annette, for as long as I needed to. When I could finally let them go, I was embarrassed at my show of emotion. I swiped at my eyes with the back of my hand and sniffled.

"Well, how... why? What are you doing here? I thought you weren't coming?"

"We decided, way last minute-like last night-to come up. We flew in this morning, 6am."

I looked at JC, who had settled onto the couch next to Tyler and was watching the girly, teary reunion. "Don't look at me," he said. "I had nothing to do with this."

"Well, whoever is responsible, I want to kiss them! I'm so excited that you're here! Grab your bags, we'll throw them somewhere. I'll get you set up in a bedroom later.  I have about an hour before everyone shows up and I need to get some things in the oven."

"Oh!" Annette perked. She loved to cook. "Put me to work."

"As if you had a choice." I led them both to the kitchen, tapping JC on the knee as I passed him. He grinned up at me. I didn't believe for a second that he had nothing to do with it, but I wasn't questioning anything. My best friend was here!

We buzzed around the kitchen, cooking and catching up. We opened a bottle of wine early and celebrated. Melissa found herself holding Mason and not hating it. I elbowed Annette and she nodded, nibbling on a carrot and watching. "I wonder which of us could carry a baby better."

"You," said Melissa, not missing a beat.

Shortly after 4:00, the front door may as well have been a revolving one. People started arriving one right after the other, and soon the house was full. Melissa made herself at home, having met everyone already except for Tyler and Allison.

Dinner was delicious, if I had to say so myself. The turkey was moist, the ham was juicy and flavorful, and the potatoes came out perfectly, as did the vegetables. JC had a double helping of macaroni and cheese and my rolls disappeared quickly. I beamed with pride at all of the compliments, especially the ones that came from my mom and Karen. If I could handle dinner for twenty, I could handle anything.

Conversation was lively, full of laughter and stories from both sides of the table. JC looked so relaxed and happy and stuffed. It was rare that he could not finish a plate of food, but on his third helping, he had been defeated. His fork dropped to his plate and he sat back, clutching his belly.

"I guess I'll take a break, for now."

"Yeah leave some room for dessert."

"I have a second stomach for dessert."

Since I cooked and JC and I hosted, we were pushed out of the kitchen while everyone else cleared the tables and did the dishes. We lounged on the couch, enjoying a glass of wine from a bottle that my uncle brought, watched a movie and listened to the commotion going on in other areas of the house. JC stretched out, propping his foot up on the coffee table in front of him.

"Dinner turned out really nice, honey." He said it quietly, without even turning his head.

"Thanks," I said, not looking at him either.

"I mean it. You did a good job."

This time, I looked at him and stared at the side of his face until he looked at me. "Thanks. That means a lot to me, to hear that."

"Welcome. Love you."

"Mmmhmmm," I answered with a smirk.

"Nuh uh," I knew he would say.

I laughed, snuggling down in the couch and up against him and sighed another one of those happy, content sighs. "Love you, too."

Everyone had settled back down, either in the living room or on the back porch to enjoy a few drinks and a cool fall evening on the patio. There would be rummaging for dessert soon, so I returned to the kitchen to ice my red velvet cake and warm up the pies. Just as I was setting everything out on the counter, the doorbell rang.

I glanced at the clock. 8:22. Maybe it was one of JC's friends stopping by. I muttered to myself about uninvited guests and let JC handle answering the door.

"Serena."

I turned around with my thumb in my mouth, sucking off residual cream cheese frosting from the cake. JC stood at the entrance to the kitchen. He was pale.

Alarmed, I started to panic. Scenarios ran through my mind at breakneck pace-someone died, or someone is hurt, or ... something happened. To someone.

"Is anything wrong? Who was at the door?"

"Uhm...." He walked to me, grabbed my hands and held them. "Everything's fine. Everything's okay but uhm. The door-there's someone I want you to meet."

He seemed so serious, but said nothing was wrong. Who did he want me to meet?

I wiped my hands on a towel then tucked a hand into his and let him lead me out of the kitchen. Something was wrong. The noise level seemed too low. Normally there were several conversations going, but there was just some quiet talking, that I could hear. Not even the TV was on.

As soon as I rounded the corner from the dining room, I saw her.

She sat on the couch next to Karen, having a quiet conversation. Her short, dark hair just brushed her collar. Bright blue eyes with long lashes blinked intermittently while wide, pink lips spoke words I couldn't hear. I think I stopped breathing, but I was aware of walking into the room and smiling, like normal.

"So..." JC glanced from me to her and back to me. "This is Serena."

She stood and smiled, beaming at JC and then at me. Her smile... it was so familiar. Her whole face smiled, even up to her eyes, where deep crow's feet crinkled.

"Hello," she said, her voice so gentle, like she was trying not to scare me. She took a few steps toward us and then awkwardly stuck out a hand. "It's so nice to finally meet you. I'm... uhm..." She hesitated, looking to JC. "I'm-"

"I know..." I heard myself say it. I was just barely breathing, and beads of sweat were popping up along my hair line. I lifted a hand to swipe them away and realized that I was shaking. JC grabbed my elbow, but I didn't acknowledge him. "I know exactly who you are. He looks just like you."

She seemed relieved and exhaled a shaky breath. She glanced at JC again, and he sprang into action. Everyone had come in from outside and those who didn't know her stared at us, waiting for an explanation.

"Uh, Janet, this is Serena's family." He pointed around the room, introducing everyone. She nodded politely. "Everyone, this is my birth mom."

An audible, "ooohhhh," was heard across the room, and then a rumble of low laughter.

"Please, sit." I pointed to the spot next to Karen. "I was just finishing dessert. Would you like some? I have a red velvet cake, a pumpkin pie and a peanut butter pie-"

Her eyes lit up. "That sounds great. I'd love some. Thank you."

I backed out of the room and practically ran for the kitchen. Once I got there, I reached for a counter and clung to it, sucking in air and trying to get rid of that light-headed feeling.

"Serena? You okay?" JC was behind me. I whirled around and pushed him away, then poked him in the chest with my finger.

"This is why you've been acting weird all day!"

"I haven't been acting weird-"

"Yes! You! Have!" I hissed, punctuating each word with a poke. "You couldn't tell me that she was coming? First Melissa shows up out of the blue-"

"I swear to you, honey. I have never lied to you. I had nothing to do with Melissa coming. I promise."

"And then... Dammit, JC!" I turned away from him and crossed my arms. "I'm so tired of things happening to me and I don't get to know about them. Maybe I wanted to change my clothes and brush my hair-or my teeth! Maybe I wanted to make a good impression on your mother!"

"I'm sorry." His voice was small and quiet. He stood in the same spot, his head down. "You were already so stressed out. I didn't want you to be nervous."

He was so hard to stay mad at. I felt my anger-more like shock and embarrassment at not even imagining that I would be meeting her melt away. I heaved a giant sigh and turned back around. He dared a step closer, and closer still, then laid his hands on my shoulders and slid them down my arms until he held my hands in his. They were big, as always. Warm. Comforting.

"Please don't be mad. Let's just go in there and talk. She's excited to meet you."

"I'm not mad. Very. I'm just surprised."

"Bad choice, on my part. I'm sorry."

I looked up at him, into those eyes begging me to forgive him and take this in stride. My shoulders sagged as I gave in. He brought me closer to him and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. He kissed the top of my head and whispered," Thank you. I love you. And she will, too."

I tipped my head up toward him and he dropped a sweet, feather soft kiss on my lips. My favorite kind. It made me smile.

"I guess it's only fair. You met mine."

"She's a wonderful woman. I can't wait for you to get to know her."

Though I didn't really want to quite yet, I pulled back from the hug. "I'll get her a slice of pie. Does she drink wine or anything?"

"Nope. She quit drinking when..." His voice trailed off and I nodded that I understood.

"Coffee, then?"

"I'll start it," he said, moving toward the coffeepot. "Four scoops, right?"

I slid pie onto a saucer and picked a fork from the silverware drawer. "I'm going in. You coming?"

JC trailed behind me as I walked back to the living room, pie in hand. She was in the middle of a conversation, so I set the saucer on the coffee table in front of her and took a seat next to my mom. As if she knew I needed her, her arm snaked in under my elbow and her hand reached for mine. I took it and held it tightly.

"My kids are all grown up," she was saying, "And living everywhere, by now. My husband and I come down to visit his parents on Thanksgiving. We had our dinner earlier. I came for dessert-" She eyed the slice of pie waiting for her. "And to meet the woman Josh says he's going to marry."

All eyes-about 40 of them-were on me. I was suddenly hot and sweaty and sure I was turning pink. I gave her the warmest smile I could manage and tried to control my impulse to look at JC.

Karen saved the day. "Maybe you and Serena could have a little private time. Maybe in the kitchen? This has to be uncomfortable."  

I was up and out of the room again in seconds. Janet followed, carting her slice of pie. I headed for the coffeepot and grabbed a mug.

"Would you like some coffee, Janet?"

"Yes, thank you," she said quietly, settling into a seat at the table.

"Cream? Sugar?"

"Yes... but if you don't mind, I like to fix it up myself." I almost laughed aloud. Her son was a lot like her. I brought her a mug of steaming black coffee, and then a small bowl of sugar and a container of cream. I poured myself a mug and sat next to her.

I had no idea what to say. Talking about things, applying spin, making things sound and look good was my job, but I had not one word in my mind to say to her.

"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," she said. She stirred her coffee slowly, gazing into the mug. "I guess Josh didn't tell you I was coming."

"He didn't want to stress me out. Because his birth mother showing up out of nowhere, with no warning, isn't stressful at all." My eyes snapped closed as soon as the sentence left my mouth. I slapped my forehead and groaned. "I didn't mean that the way it came out."

"I know, honey. He meant well. Good thing he's sweet." She sipped the coffee and sighed, licking her lips. "That's good. Thank you."

"Sure." I hadn't even taken a sip of mine, yet. I was too afraid that my shaking hands would drip it everywhere. "So. How are you?"

"I'm great," she said easily, brightening. "I'm really, really great. My husband owns four restaurants in DC, now. I do the bookkeeping. My kids are great. All of them." I looked up from my coffee mug and met her eyes. She winked. "And you? And your birth mother? How is she?"

I beamed with pride, happy to spill the latest good news on Regina. "She's great, as well. She's clean, just celebrated two years, in fact." Janet nodded as if she understood. Hell, no one understood like she did. "Regina-that's her name. She's in Denver, near her parents."

"They put her in rehab, right? I thought I remembered Josh saying that?"

"Yeah." I wrapped my hands around the warm mug, relaxing a little. "She's going to college, right now, and she just got accepted into this certificate program. She wants to be a drug counselor." I shot her a wry grin. "Ironic."

"The best kinds are those who know what it's like to be addicted. I'm sure she'll be great."

"Me too. I'm really proud of her. I don't think I-" I paused. Should I say it?

She tilted her head to the side, her eyebrows raised. "You don't think you'd be where you are, had she not given you up. And gone to rehab and got sober. Right?"

I nodded, feeling altogether relieved and guilty. At the same time! I hadn't had such feelings about Regina in so long. I much preferred to be the proud, doting daughter and not the ungrateful adopted one, so thankful that my mother had given me up.

"It's a tough place to be. I didn't want to give Josh up, but if I didn't, who knows what would have happened and where he'd be? I mean, not just the fame. He's had so many opportunities that he never would have had, if I'd been selfish and kept him to myself. He's had a good life. And from what I can see from your family out there, so have you. Don't feel guilty about that. This is what your mother wanted. What she sacrificed for you."

I swallowed back a swell of emotion, blinked back tears. I'd heard it, so many times before from therapists, even from JC. Something about hearing it from her though, made me believe it.

"So." She pushed her mug toward the center of the table and folded her arms. Her blue eyes, bright and piercing, focused on me. "I hear you're in marketing?"

We talked, at length, about my job; my clients, the kinds of things I do for them, and how I came to be living in LA with JC, chasing after a job. Well, pretending the job was the reason I wanted to move to the West Coast. I did it for JC. It was always for JC. Telling the story, saying the words out loud made me realize how much history we had. We'd lived several lives in the span of our relationship and here we were, still standing and about to embark on another life.

I expected her to ask about our relationship. Quiz me on how well I knew him, test me on how much I loved him. When the questions and criticism and the judging if I was good enough for her son didn't come, I was relieved, but confused. Wasn't that why she was here? Was this supposed to be some sort of test? Was this the last hurdle toward the yes I was waiting for?

Janet was shrugging on her jacket, picking up her purse, uttering her goodbyes to Roy and Karen and hugging JC. I offered to walk her to her car and she accepted. We picked our way down the sidewalk to the driveway and stopped at the two door compact that I didn't recognize, so I guessed it must be hers.

"Rental," she said, angling her head at the small vehicle. "I drive a Tahoe, at home. This thing is..." She shook her head, laughing. "Anyway, it was wonderful meeting you, Serena. I see what Josh raves about."

"Thank you for coming, Janet. It was great meeting you, too. I hope we'll see you again."

"I'm sure we will, sometime." She looked back at the house, wistful. "I know I have a place in Josh's life, but I like to keep my distance. I have a family, and so does he. I have a life, and he lets me live it. I do him the same favor."

I hugged her and then she ducked into the car, closed her door and started it up. I stood in the driveway until she backed out and drove away, and then long after the headlights disappeared down the road.

I heard the front door open and then close. I sensed that it was JC, so I wasn't surprised when I felt him behind me, sliding his arms around my waist and pulling me back against him. I laid my hands over his, clasped over my mid-section.

"Was that a test?" My question surprised me, so I'm sure it surprised him.

His chest contracted and then expanded with his breaths, in and out. In, then out again. "No. I really just wanted you to meet my mom."

"Okay," I said. Then, "It was nice meeting her. She seems nice. It must run in the family."

"Yeah, I guess so." I could hear the smile in his voice as he said it. He started walking backwards, in tiny steps. "Come on."

"Where are we going?"

"Inside. Come on."

"JC. No." I pulled away from him and took a few steps back.

"What? Why no?"

"Because!" I ran my fingers through my hair and sucked in a deep breath of night air. "Everyone will be looking at me, expecting some kind of reaction. I'm not ready."

"Okay. We don't have to go in."

"I have a weird request, actually. Can we get in the boat?"

His head lowered and he gave me that you must be crazy look. "In the boat.  Just sit in the boat?"

"And take a ride, to that spot we always go to? I just want to be alone with you, right now. Away and alone with you."

"Okay. Yeah. I'll... I'll go grab the keys and uncover it. Meet you back there?"

I stayed in the front yard, angled my head back and up to the sky. It was bright, the moon was full, and the stars were twinkling. It was a beautiful night. I heard JC behind the house, wrestling with the tarp on top of the boat, so when the front door opened and closed again, I turned around to see who was coming outside to bother me now.

Melissa took her time walking across the lawn to stand next to me. After a few seconds of silence, she said, "You're not freaked out, are you?"

"Kind of. Just wasn't expecting it. And it seemed to mean something. Something bigger than come meet my birth mother. I'm scared about that something bigger."

"What if it's a good something bigger? Like another step in your relationship? Something else he can trust you with and talk to you about?"

"I guess that would be good, then."

"Yeah. I mean..." She huffed. "Of all the things you've been through in your life-dealing with Regina, being adopted, meeting this guy and going through everything you've gone through to be with him, don't let this one little thing throw you off. If it means something bigger, I'm sure you can handle that, too."

"Thanks, Mel. I needed that."

"That's what I'm here, for." I laughed at that, because she wasn't supposed to be, but because of some odd, strange miracle, she was. I was thankful.

I heard JC calling for me, telling me the boat was ready. "We're going for a little ride," I told her. "We need some time."

"I understand. Take all the time you need."

I ran around to the side of house to the backyard, along the path to the lake, where the boat was already in the water. JC was on the dock, waiting. He helped me up and over the side and then climbed in after me. Then he sat in the captain's seat and turned the key. The motor started, rumbling loudly. I would have been embarrassed, but I really needed to get away.

I moved to the seats in the back, where we always sat after he got to a certain spot and killed the motor. It took about ten minutes to get there. I kept my eyes on the moon, feeling like we were racing toward it. Soon we were surrounded by nothing but trees.

"This reminds me of a song," JC said, after he'd cut the motor. He was making his way to the back of the boat.

"I know which one you're talking about."

"By the light..." he sang softly.

"Not the dark but the light," I answered.

"Of the silvery moon..."

"Not the sun but the moon."

He sat next to me and gathered me to him. "I wanna spoon..."

"Not croon, but spoon... and I don't know anymore words."

He laughed, and finished, reciting the words. "To my honey I'll croon love's tune, Honey moon, honey moon, honey moon.  Keep a-shinin' in June, your silv'ry beams will bring love's dreams. We'll be cuddlin' soon... by the silvery moon."

"That's a nice story, honey."

"So. Why are we out here in the middle of nowhere, on a boat, in the dark?"

"I just wanted to be alone with you. Sometimes I just crave time with you, you know? Being with everyone is so much pressure. I want people to be impressed with me and to love me, so I create a Serena that I know they'll like. You're the only one that knows the real me. I want to be the real me, right now."

"That's deep."

"JC..."

"I know, okay, I'll be serious. Thanks for sharing that with me. And for wanting to be with me, right now. Are you mad?"

"I'm not. I'm seriously not. It's just, a lot for some reason. I really want it to mean something and I guess I'm scared that it does mean something. And even more scared that it doesn't."

"For example? What would it mean?"

"Well... that maybe it's the last little checkbox on your list of things about yourself that you have to reveal to me. I've laid out my life for you, because if I didn't, I was afraid you'd never accept me. You've had the option of keeping things to yourself, until you're ready to for me to see them."

"I shouldn't have kept her away so long," he said, his voice full of what sounded like remorse. "She wanted to meet you when we came through DC last year. I just wasn't ready. I don't want people to see you and me, and nod their heads like yeah, those two... they understand each other because they have that in common. I mean, at first, that's kind of what it was. I met somebody that understood that I seemed normal but I wasn't, and in what ways I wasn't normal and was patient with me about it. But over time, I kind of forgot that we have that in common. Do you ever forget that you're adopted?"

I chuckled, smiling into his chest. "All the time. I don't notice anymore, how I don't look like my family. They're all I've ever known."

"Right. I forget a lot, too. So I forget that we have that in common. I love you because of who you are and how you make me feel and how much you love me, not because of that one tiny, inconsequential thing."

"That thing that's made living life so hard for us sometimes."

I felt him nod. "Yeah," he said. "And I guess you're right. Meeting her was the last thing on my list. Not a real list, but..."

"I know. I mean, it felt that way. It felt like it meant a lot to you for me to meet her."

"It does. And now I feel like..." He sat up, moving his arm from around my shoulders and turned to face me. I couldn't really see him, just the side of his face in the glow of the moon. "I feel like I can take a step forward, now."

My heart thumped in my chest and climbed to my ears, so loud I was sure he could hear it. He'd better be talking about what I think he's talking about, and he'd better not be teasing me!

"I've been thinking a lot. Searching my mind and my heart and trying to do what's right. Right by you, and by me. You keep saying it, and it's true, that I put a lot of pressure on myself. I've failed. A few times, professionally and personally. I don't like that feeling. No one does. No one wakes up in the morning and says, damn I can't wait to fail today."

He laughed for a few seconds. I laid my hands over his, clasped together in front of him.

"The hard thing is doing it in public. Failing in public is that nightmare that you have, where you show up at school in your underwear. Or worse, you're naked. Except it's not a nightmare. Everyone's looking. Everyone's judging. It's embarrassing to fail professionally. Personally, it's like... it's like, people look at me and think, poor him. That poor guy. Pity." He huffed a short breath from his nose and shook his head. "I hate pity."

"Me too. I hate pity for you, especially."

"Professionally, I can get up, dust myself off, and get back on that train, if I want. Or I can go at it another way. I can define what success is, for me. Is it a number one hit, or is it getting to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, because I worked hard for it? Personally..."

He paused and I heard him swallow. The world was quiet, nothing but the sounds of the water against the hull of the boat.

"Take your time," I said softly. "I'm not in a hurry."

He swallowed again, hard. When he did speak, his voice was ragged and low.

"Personally, everyone else gets to define what success is for me, except me. Society says that a man my age should be married and have two point five kids and a thriving career and a Pekingese dog and a white picket fence and a sensible four door sedan, and if he doesn't have that, there must be something wrong. Well, my last public relationship failed, in a big way, and knocked me on my ass. So I guess there was something wrong. And, in some ways, until I met you, I was still on the ground. I had no intention of picking myself up and dusting myself off. I didn't know how to fall into that definition of success that everyone has. And I hate pity, but I was getting a lot of it and definitely taking advantage.

"And then I met this cute girl on a plane. And... something in her made me want to get back up. Dust myself off. Give it another try, and this time, really work at it. Don't just let the relationship happen. Don't sit back and take things as they come and then say oh, well when it doesn't work out. Maybe I do things differently, this time. Maybe I do the opposite of what I think I should do. Maybe I do everything right that I know I did wrong, before. Maybe I'm not so lazy, this time around. And you know what happened?"

I grinned. "You fell in love?"

"Yeah." I heard him smile. "I fell in love with someone great, who loves me for the man I am, right now. Flaws and all. Then, she sees the man I want to be and loves him, too. She believes in me so much that I'm starting to believe in me, again.  She makes life easier to live. It's not perfect, but I'd rather my life have some hills and valleys with her in it, than one perfect, even keel without her.

"And all I want, in my life, is for her to be happy. All I want is to see her smile and hear her laugh and for her to always be with me, so if what it takes to make that happen is a ceremony and some rings and a big ass party? I can do that. I want to do that."

I didn't dare breathe or speak or cry. I just sat there, willing him to please just say the word.

JC leaned back, fished around in his front pocket for a second and then grabbed my hand and turned it over. Something dropped into my palm, and when I moved my hand to look at it, it glinted in the moonlight. It was a ring-appeared to be silver, with a mid-size stone, a brilliant diamond.

"It's a family heirloom. My dad got it from my great, great grandma Chasez. It's been passed down for... I don't know how many years, way back from the French colonies, though." He laughed. "I guess I should have asked. I figured you might want to have the stone put into a setting you picked out."

I held it in my hands, gingerly moving it around to watch the facets sparkle. It was light but it felt infinitely heavier than I ever imagined a ring from JC would.

"No, I-I'd love to wear it. It's... I mean... thank you. But does this mean... are you asking..." I stumbled over my words, hoping he would just jump in. "JC, what does this mean?"

"It means what you think it means," he said.

I laughed. "Stop trying to get out of saying it!"

"You wanna ask me again, so I can answer, this time?"

"What? Why aren't you asking me?"

"Because you already asked me. Were you serious, when you asked me? Like, if I had said yes, in Greece, would we be planning a wedding, right now?"

"I've been serious for nine months!"

"Well then." I saw him shrug, and could feel his jovial mood. "Does it matter who asked, Serena? We both want this, does it matter?"

"No, but-"

"So. Ask me. You'll get your answer."

"You know what? Fine. You want-should I get on one knee?"

"I believe in great presentation. You do what feels right."

"Oh my God," I mumbled, but slid down the seat onto one knee. The floor of the boat was grimy from dried mud and leaves. He's so lucky I love him.  "Are you ready? Are you paying attention?"

He sat up and took my hand in his. "I am. Go ahead."

"You're such a turd. I can't believe you're gonna let me go through with this."

"You started it."

"If you would have just said yes in Greece, that would have been entirely more romantic-"

"Are you proposing, or what?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes. Bastard.

"Alright. So, uhm. All that stuff that you said? About how you like your life with me in it, and I make you like yourself and believe in yourself? I feel the same way about you. I've changed in a hundred ways since I met you, and all for the better. You've opened your life and your heart and your home to me and I couldn't begin to thank you for loving me. But you know what? If you're only marrying me because I want it, we don't have to. I don't want a ceremony and a ring and a big ass party. I just want forever with you."

I looked up at him and he looked down at me and the world around us was silent. Then, breaking the magic spell, JC snorted.

"You suck at this. Get up here." He helped pull me up and sat me next to him, again. "Know what I want? Security. I want to know, every day that I wake up that I'm committed, and so are you. Because, you know, I'm not easy to live with. Some days, we're not gonna feel married. Some days, you might want to leave me, and you'll have to go downstairs and stare at our marriage certificate on the wall that says you can't."

"That's why you want to get married? So I can't leave?"

"Well. It'll also make it easy to love you forever. And also you, me, and our kids will all have the same last name." When I didn't laugh, he cupped my chin in his palm and tipped my head up. I could just barely see him. "I have never proposed marriage before. I'm trying, here. Throw me a bone."

"You're asking?"

He stared down at me but didn't answer. In fact, he was quiet for a long, long span of time. And then, so quietly I barely heard it, he said, "Yeah."

"Excuse me? What?"

He cleared his throat and said, again, "I said yes. Yes to you, and yes to Sony, and yes I'm asking and you better be saying yes too. Right now!"

I might have squealed, and loudly at that. I threw myself against him, my arms around his neck. "Yes! I'm definitely saying yes!"

"Good. I'd have to throw you overboard if you weren't."

I bent to kiss him, lightly and playfully but he had other plans. His mouth was open and ready for mine and he took control as our lips met. I melted into him and let him kiss me, pressed up against him so hard I could feel his heartbeat thumping through my chest.

When he released me, he was breathing like he'd just run a mile and his eyes were still closed. He was close, so close we could have kissed again, but he didn't move in.

"I love you," he whispered against my cheek, his stubble scraping against my skin. "I mean that. And honey... I'm only doing this marriage thing once, so you better be sure-"

"I'm sure," I said, cutting him off. "I've been sure for a long time. Are you sure? Even about Sony?"

"I've never been more sure about anything in my life." He reached into my palm and pulled out the ring. "Let's see if this baby fits. Did you know French diamonds are blue?"

"They are? That's my favorite color."

"I know. That's why I thought that this..." He slipped the ring on my finger. It was snug, but not too tight. Perfect. "Would be perfect for you. I think we should go get it shined up. Make sure it fits right. And that you want to wear it."

I stared at it, even though it was dark. It looked great on my hand. I'd worked hard for this ring and I wasn't giving it up. "I want to wear it. Stop it, it's beautiful."

"You can't even see it."

"It's from you. That makes it beautiful." I stared at it for a few minutes and I couldn't help my wide, ridiculous grin. I didn't care. "So, about Sony..."

"What about ‘em?"

"You said a couple of months ago that you might not take the contract. What changed?"

"They did. I mean, I've been around this block before. I asked for what I wanted-complete control, producing rights, no crazy publicity. I just want to put out a record and I don't want to get shafted doing it. If I didn't get what I asked, no skin off my back. I'm pretty happy. What I'm doing right now? It's enough."

He shrugged. "Those crazy cats went for it. I don't have to do it in a hurry, I don't have to look desperate doing it, and I don't have to change my sound." He nodded a few times. He sounded satisfied. Then he said, "But there's a catch."

My heart stopped and my mouth dried up. A catch could ruin an entire deal.

"I told them I want to use my own PR person and everything-press, interviews, art, whatever it is, it goes through her. " He paused. I imagined his eyebrows lifting while he waited for me to catch up. "That would be you, Serena. If you want the job."

"If I-are you kidding? Are you serious? Please be serious! Are you serious?"

"I'm very serious. Come February of next year you will be doing my bidding." He cocked his head back and enjoyed a few moments of evil cackling.

"Whatever. You will be my bitch. Marketing is always in control. You just write the songs and show up where I tell you to show up."

"How's that different from any other minute of every day in our lives?"

"See, you'll already have the hang of it!" I had to hug him again and kiss him again and again and again. "Thank you for this. I won't let you down. I promise."

"And what do we say about promises?"

I moved so the moonlight shined on his face. I could see a good portion of him, at least his eyes and his nose. He was smiling. He looked relieved. And at peace. And happy.

"We're keeping all of them."

 

We lingered out on the lake for a few minutes longer, just to be alone. Eventually, though, we had to face the crowd at the house and motor back. JC helped me off of the boat and I waited while he dropped the anchor and spread the bright blue tarp over the top and tied it down. Then, together we climbed the path back up to the house and walked in the back door. My mother met us there.

"There you two are. I was about to send your dad out on a search party." Mom looked tired, and more than a little concerned. Behind her was Karen and beyond them, Melissa, my sisters in law and Heather. I guess none of the men were concerned about JC.

"I didn't mean to worry you guys. We needed to talk. We uh-" I looked up at JC, the question in my eyes. He shrugged and blinked. I guessed it was up to me to break the news. "Come to the living room. We have something to tell you."

The living room was packed with people. Every open spot on the couches, chairs or floor was taken. JC paused the movie that was playing and stood in front of the giant flat screen that had been the focus of the room minutes ago.

"So, Serena might not be happy to know that she isn't the first one to know about this but uhm..." JC glanced down at me. I narrowed my eyes when I stared up at him, but couldn't hold it for very long. I didn't care if he told the world first, so long as he finally answered me.

"Last night, I had a long talk with Mr. Willis here." JC pointed at my dad. He gave a solitary nod back. "And uh, I was asking him how he'd feel about having a son in law-"

A loud whoop rose through the room. JC raised his palms, calming everyone so he could continue. "So, after a lot of negotiating, Terry looked at me and said, "Well, son. What the hell are you asking me, for? Seems like Serena is the one making this decision!"

A ripple of laughter crossed the room, including JC and myself. I mentally high-fived my dad. JC turned to look at me, those baby blues locked into my grays. "I guess I had to do the hard part. The asking.  So... tonight, I asked. And she said-"

"I said yes!"

I couldn't help it. I was so excited, the words fell out of my mouth before I realized they were coming. Before I could even utter the last syllable, there were screams and laughs and claps and then we were surrounded. Everyone wanted a hug, or to say congratulations or to marvel at the ring. I explained, no fewer than seven times, that it was an heirloom.  I was so proud to wear something so old and cherished.

"So," Melissa said, after she'd gawked at the ring and hugged me twice. "Now I can tell you that your dad, old man Willis, made sure we got here. He knew I wouldn't have wanted to miss my best friend getting engaged."

My vision blurred and my nose flared and I felt my face heating up. I whirled around, wildly looking for my dad. In a corner, leaning against a window sill, he was taking in the room, an oddly satisfied, peaceful smile on his lips. I made my way across the room to him, both of our smiles broadening as I came closer.

"Thank you, daddy. Just... thanks."

"You're welcome, sweet pea. You're sure this is what you want? This life, with a celebrity? All of your comings and goings, your whole life on Front Street?"

I nodded. "More than anything. I love him. And he loves me."

"He told me. He promised he would take care of you." His forehead wrinkled with confusion, then he said, "Then he said something about-"

"He keeps his promises. And he's not making that one the first one he breaks."

 

Much, much later, I crawled into bed behind JC. We settled into one of our usual positions-him on his back, me on his chest, his heartbeat under my cheek. He rubbed my neck and my shoulders in strong, circular motions. I yawned and snuggled closer to him.

"Serena?" His voice cut through the dark room and the silence of the house.

"Mmmm?"

"We're ready, right?"

"Is anyone ever ready?"

"Not helping me feel confident, sweetie."

I snickered. "Sorry, babe."

I sat up a little and moved so I was facing him. The moon was still high in the sky and shining right into our bedroom. "I kind of mean that, though. If we waited until we were completely ready, we'd wait forever. I don't think ready is an end result. It's a journey."

"That's a good way to look at it, I guess."

"We know what we're doing. We're going into it with eyes wide open. And before we know it, we'll have been married for ten years and we'll have four or five little JC's running around-"

His head shot up off of his pillow. "Excuse me?" He shrieked. "How many?"

I grinned. "Remember when I said I like a full house?"

"Four or five? And how many little Serena's?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I hadn't got there, yet."

"We can wait a little bit for that, right? Because... four or five. The BabyMaker needs some notice."

I laughed, louder than I intended but oh, well. "Yes, baby. We can wait for a little bit." He relaxed and exhaled, his eyes on the ceiling. I grabbed his chin and turned his head so I could see him, again. "But eventually, I want to fill this house up with little you's and little me's. And we can spend our days loving them and making sure they don't turn out weird."

"I don't think there's any hope there, honey."

"Well. We'll give it the old college try, hmm?" My hand crawled his face to the top of his head. I let my nails drag down his scalp to his neck. A long, low groan curled from him as his eyes slid closed. "Are you scared?"

"No," he whispered. "Are you?"

"No. I am the happiest I've ever been, right now."

"Good," he said. "All I've ever wanted is to make you happy. Glad I finally made that happen."

I stroked his forehead and listened to his breaths grow deeper. When I was sure he was asleep, I rolled to my back, my mind racing and my eyes wide open.

Two years. It had felt like a lifetime since I turned to that man next to me on a flight to LA, let him take me out, and immediately fell in love with him. Two years later, I was wearing a ring and trying to wrap my mind around merging my life with his.

As if we were one, I rolled to my side and JC followed, plastering himself against me from head to toe. His arm slid over my waist and curled around me, pulling me closer to him. I drifted to sleep with thoughts of everything we'd been through in the past two years-joy and pain, sunshine and rain, JC liked to say sometimes. What an amazing, frightening, thrilling ride.

Was it worth it?

Yes. I'd do it all again. In a heartbeat. 

Chapter End Notes:

I can't even believe we've come to this part. 2 years of blood sweat and tears have gone into this story. It's been my baby... it was in me, and it fought to get out. Thanks everyone who has read and reviewed and have been a constant support and thanks especially to Vivalavix who has read every. single. chapter to make sure I don't post dumb mistakes. Circle of Truth, and things like that! 

Till the next time.... thank you! ~ MissM 


Completed
MissM is the author of 30 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 49 members. Members who liked All I Wanna Do... also liked 601 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: missionary oral girlontop love outdoorsex makeupsex hotel boyfriendjc postsync showersex boybands christmas vacation producerjc