Chapter 21: Black and Blue

January 13th 1997

As soon as a hint of sun peeked into Justin’s room his eyelids flew open and a smile crossed his features, despite the fact that his alarm clock had been blaring for the past five minutes keeping him awake. Today was the day they were going to film their music video for Tearin’ Up My Heart and later that day, if not early the next, they were going to fly out to Germany to start their European tour. Johnny had given them the good news the previous day that their CD was doing so well that it was expected to reach Gold by the end of the month.

Gold! Justin still couldn’t believe it. They had topped the charts as newcomers, which was unheard of in the US, but in Germany anything could happen. Europe was like their dream world, everything they worked for was starting to go the way they wanted. Heck, they went to #1 on the charts on the second day their CD was released. Now he knew what it felt like to be a Backstreet Boy. Johnny was the Backstreet Boys’ manager as well and he constantly told them to expect the success that the Backstreet Boys were having.

He threw off his covers, stretched, and looked around his room. They had to be at the warehouse by nine––that’s where they were shooting their video––and it was only six thirty now. He frowned, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to take pleasure in waking Chris or JC up just yet, he had to let them continue to sleep. But it wasn’t fair, he was always up hours before them and he never had anyone to talk to or watch cartoons with.

Sighing a bit, he put on some clothes––a simple baby blue t-shirt and black basketball shorts––and moved as quietly as possible out of his room, down the hall, and to the kitchen. The last thing he needed was a sleepy and pissed off JC on his ass in the morning.

He moved on autopilot, grabbing his favorite cereal (Cap’n Crunch), got the largest bowl he could find, and used up the rest of the milk pouring it over the cereal. Then he found a spoon, carefully carried the large bowl into the living room and sat down on the couch, happily watching cartoons as he ate.

His thoughts turned away from the cartoons and over to his friend, who was acting funny currently. She was hanging around with Chris. Chris. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Chris, quite the opposite. Actually, he liked hanging around Chris so much it ended up coming out that all he wanted to do was annoy Chris. Chris was like his cool big brother, he could get his hands on anything since he was legal and he even owned a motorcycle, something that Justin always wanted but knew his mother wouldn’t approve of. Chris was untouchable.

He just couldn’t understand why Chris was suddenly so interested in what she did. Sure, he always joked around about wanting to date her or keep her for himself but he was never serious about it. Justin thought that he only felt guilty about Mack breaking her wrist, it was technically his fault. But waiting on her hand and foot? Driving her home later that night? Calling practically every hour to make sure she was ok? They were all like big brothers to her, but he suddenly switched to overprotective mode over night and that wouldn’t fly with Justin.

That was his job.

“Hey,” Chris greeted Justin cheerfully. Justin watched him with a  raised eyebrow as he jumped over the back of the couch and landed next to him, jostling him a bit but not enough to spill his cereal. “Usually you’re still as dead as a door. What’re you doing up so early, Curly?” Chris grinned and reached out to mess up Justin’s hair but he jerked his head out of the way. “Seesh. I think you’re a little too dependent on that sugar bomb you call breakfast.”

“Shut up,” Justin grumbled.

Chris chuckled and scratched his neck. “Can I ask you something?” Justin merely grunted. “Why’re you so protective?”

“Why’re you on my case?” Justin shot back.

Chris rolled his eyes. “Chill, kid. It’s just a question. But since you’re so afraid of giving me the freakin’ answer–”

“I’m not afraid,” Justin snarled through clenched teeth.

“Oh really?” Chris raised his eyebrows. “Then why do you avoid the answer like the plague?”

“I don’t! And you don’t know anything so shut the fuck up!” Justin chose to yell this harsh comment at the wrong time as Lynn had just come around the corner and into the living room to ask who’s shirt was in her hand. She dropped the shirt and the laundry basket, quickly walked over to her son, and grabbed his ear. “Ow! Ow!” he immediately cried, almost dropping his bowl of cereal and tried to bend his way out of her grasp. “Momma, I’m sorry!”

Chris snickered. Justin was such a Momma’s Boy that he only thing Chris could do about it was laugh. He knew by experience never to make fun of him for it, something about him and his mom being best friends, but Chris couldn’t help it. The kid was whipped…by his own mom.

“Mhm. Justin Randall you are going to apologize to Chris and after that you’re going to the laundry room and fold all of the clothes that are left in there which is approximately…two baskets.”

Justin’s eyes got wide as Chris’s smile got bigger. Lynn used three pretty big laundry baskets––one for each of them––and she put all of their clothes into it once it was done, lights and darks. Having to fold even one basket took a while, but two? “But Momma–“

“No buts, Justin, now apologize.”

Justin scowled before turning to Chris. “I’m….sorry,” he struggled. Lynn let go of his ear and he practically slammed his bowl of cereal down onto the coffee table, jumped up, and walked in the direction of the laundry room. “Happy now?” he questioned before disappearing around the corner.

Chris snickered. “It’s about time he rebels.” Lynn shot him a look. “You know what I mean, Mrs. Harless. He always tries to act like he’s twenty or something. He’s only fifteen, almost sixteen, it’s refreshing to see him finally act his age. He does too much to prove that he can do anything he wants. I’d rather him be a little kid than be something that he’s not.” Chris shrugged and turned his attention back to the TV. He burst out laughing at the cartoon, slapping his knee, holding his sides, tears streaming down his face.

Lynn chuckled, grabbed the laundry basket, and turned around only to bump into JC. “Josh, sweetie what’re you doing up? It’s only a quarter to seven.”

“It’s hard to stay asleep with hyena boy laughing his butt off,” JC replied in a hoarse voice. His eyes were barely open and the area around his eyelids was slightly puffy, signaling that he didn’t get much sleep. He let out a yawn and rubbed his eyes. “What time do we have to get to the warehouse again?”

“Nine o’clock,” Lynn replied.

JC grunted. “I’m going back to sleep. Don’t wake me.” He turned and went straight back to his room. Lynn chuckled a bit, shaking her head and went to Chris’ room to put his things away. Chris, bored, tapped his fingers against the armrest of the couch he was sitting on. He was itching to get this video filmed. He wanted to know what idea the director had for them. He wanted to know what they could do in a warehouse. He already had a million ideas running through his head but none of them seemed to fit the theme of the song.

“Hey.” Justin’s voice suddenly caused Chris to jump. Chris looked up and saw that Justin was holding a couple of books and a notebook in his hands. “Momma says I have to finish my homework before we go. Since JC’s asleep I figured…” his voice trailed off as he shifted his gaze.

“Sure. Sit down Young One.” Chris smiled and patted the seat next to him. “So what do you need help with? Math? Science?”

“History,” Justin replied dropping a text book onto the coffee table. “I need to know information from chapters 6 and 7 ‘cause I have a test tomorrow but I…I just can’t…” he let out a frustrated breath and glared at the book.

“Say no more. You’ll know this stuff in the next half hour, an hour tops. All you have to do is use the Kirkpatrick Method,” Chris said as he took the book and started flipping to chapter six.

Justin wrinkled his nose. “What’s the Kirkpatrick Method?”

Chris merely smiled. “You’ll find out in a few minutes. Now, tell me everything you know about World War II.”

Justin’s face dropped every emotion it held. He scratched his head. “Uh…it was a war?” he supplied. Chris merely stared at him. “And…uh…it was the second war.” He snapped his fingers and smiled. “And it affected the world.”

“Thanks for reestablishing the name,” Chris stated acrimoniously, peering at Justin over the top of the text book. “Is there anything else you know…or would like to repeat?”

Justin scratched his head again. “Hitler was the leader, right?”

“Of which side?” Chris asked.

“There were two sides?”

“There’s always two sides to a fight, otherwise there would be no point. Who else would you fight, yourself? Yeah, that’ll go along great.”

“I’m trying!” Justin protested.

“Well you’re not trying hard enough!” Chris shot back. “C’mon! I knew this stuff when I was ten. Now, which side was Hitler on?”

Justin let out a short breath, his features scrunching in concentration. “Hitler was on…the…Axis side?” He looked at Chris who nodded and urged him to keep going. “And, um, he hated the Germans? No, he was a German. He…he didn’t like anyone that wasn’t like him. But he didn’t like the Jewish people the most.”

“Right.” Chris smiled. “Which countries were on his side?”

“Germany, obviously.” Justin squeezed his eyes shut and scratched his head. “Umm…Japan?” Chris nodded and rolled his hand, telling Justin to continue. “Annnnd….ummmmmm.”

“Think of Joey,” Chris offered.

“Not funny?” Justin suggested.

“That’s not a country!” Chris sighed.

“But it’s true.”

Chris shrugged. “Yeah…but a country, give me a country. C’mon, think of Joey.”

“Italy?”

“Yes!” Chris smiled and closed the book. “Have you read this stuff before?” Justin nodded. “Ok, follow me.” Justin’s eyebrows knitted together in confusion but he followed Chris outside anyway. Chris stopped on the nearly empty driveway and spun the basketball on his fingers. “Ok, we’re going to play a little game. I ask you a question and if you get the answer right you can take a shot, if you get it wrong, I take a shot. The first person to twenty points wins. Each basket is one point.” He smiled. “And I’m sure you wouldn’t want everyone to know that I beat you…again.”

Justin glared. “You didn’t beat me last time, ok? The sun was in my eyes.”

“Oh, boo hoo, the sun can’t touch your precious eyes, you baby.” Chris rolled his eyes and grabbed the ball. “Your excuses won’t work this time. Either you know it or not. Now, what year did WW II start?”

A challenging look suddenly came to Justin’s eye.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

JC slapped his hand against his alarm clock. He couldn’t hit the snooze button anymore, the shrill beeping was starting to give him a headache. He forced himself out of bed and quickly changed his clothes. He started to walk towards the kitchen to get his much needed morning coffee when he stopped in the living room.

“Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Justin supposed to be studying?” JC asked Lynn who walked by him.

She stopped, looked out the window, and smiled. “He is studying.” JC gave her a look of confusion. “Justin was never one to be able to sit around and study, he had to do something with the information. He is a very bright kid; he just doesn’t like staying still. Chris came up with the idea of combining studying with basketball. It’s working so far since he aced his past two tests this way. The beauty of it is that Justin doesn’t realize that he’s studying while he’s playing.”

“Ahhhh.” JC turned and went into the kitchen, pouring himself a cup of coffee. “Lynn, can I ask you a question?” he asked as he poured milk into his coffee.

“Of course, Josh,” Lynn replied, giving him her attention.

“Do you think you’re ready to let go?” JC asked. Lynn looked at him in confusion. “You said yourself that as soon as Justin turns sixteen you’re going to go back to work. That’s only a few weeks away. Are you ready to let go of him?”

“I’m going to have to sooner or later,” she replied. “But, to be honest, I don’t think I am.” She sighed. “He’s my baby. I can’t get over the fact that I won’t be able to see him every day, I won’t be able to see him perform and do the one thing he loves. I go to sleep knowing that he’s happ y and seeing that one smile he gets on his face when he’s performing. I know I’ll have memories and I can come out and visit a lot, but it’s not the same.” She paused. “Josh, will you look after Justin, to make sure he’s ok? Not just him, but Mackenzie too. Will you make sure they don’t get into trouble?”

“Those two will be together practically 24/7 and you want me to make sure they stay out of trouble?’ JC repeated, lifting his eyebrows. “Lynn, those two invented the word trouble.”

“Don’t exaggerate,” Lynn said with a small smile.

“Who’s exaggerating? I kid you not, they’re angels around you ‘cause they don’t want to get on your bad side. However, once you’re gone, cue the psycho music. The fact that they have Chris and Joey to egg ‘em on is worse.”

“Half of the things Justin does is to get your attention,” Lynn told him. JC nodded and took a sip of his coffee. “Although Chris can easily manipulate him you can put him back in his place because he respects you. Mackenzie, on the other hand, likes to defy people when she can.” JC grunted as if to say he all ready knew that. “But she always listens to Lance. As long as you get him on your side she’ll listen to what you say.”

JC put down his mug. “Why doesn’t she listen to me?”

“Because you’re five years older than her and Lance is only two years older,” Lynn replied. “To you that’s not much of a difference but to her it’s like a whole generation. Don’t ask me to explain because I don’t even fully understand.”

“I don’t think I want to know either,” JC admitted. “But I will keep an eye on them for you. I just have one question?”

“What?”

“How do you do that glare that they’re afraid of? Something tells me I’m going to need it.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Ok so here’s what we were thinking,” Stefan Ruzowitzky, the video’s director, said once the guys all gathered in their dressing room and had his attention. “We want this video to be as low key as possible, so it’s easier on you boys. We know that you are going off to Europe soon to do a tour and we don’t want you to be too tired before you leave.” He then turned to the story board that was behind him. “So we decided to go with six simple shots. One is where you all are dancing in white shirts and dark pants for the whole song. Another is where you’re in all black. Another is when you’re in more casual clothes. Then the solo parts we were thinking of having JC sitting up on one of the beams and then Justin by a window. Keep in mind those two are subject to change,” he quickly added when he saw the look on JC’s face.

“So…this is going to be as simple as possible?” Lance asked. “There’s no way we can get injured?” he added, looking around at the large space.

“Exactly,” Stefan replied, smiling. “The last thing I want is a lawsuit on my hands.” He chuckled a bit before clapping his hands. “Ok, we’re going to start out with your group shots. Head on over to wardrobe and we’ll get started.”

The boys eagerly got up and went to the wardrobe room. Chris and Justin looked through the clothes that were left out for them while the others sat down and watched Chris and Justin go through the clothes commenting on a random shirt or a pair of pants they stopped on.

“Haha, Chris this shirt’s yours,” Justin laughed as he held out a shirt to Chris. He turned around and pulled a face. The white shirt that was assigned to him was like a peasant shirt.

“Well, you’re wearing this!” Chris said as he shoved a white wife beater into Justin’s hands.

“I’m not only wearing this am I?” Justin asked, his eyes widened.

“That’s for a later shot,” the wardrobe woman, Michelle, said as she came into the room. “It’s for your solo shot. We were thinking of having you on this bed just lounging around singing with a girl draped across your shoulders, like she isn’t willing to let you go.”

Justin’s face was a mixture between excitement and apprehension. Chris and Joey gave each other looks and glared at the back of Justin’s head. Lance’s face remained neutral but JC’s eyes scrunched up a bit.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” JC finally spoke up. Michelle looked at him. “Justin’s only fifteen.”

“I turn sixteen in two weeks,” he quickly corrected. JC turned and glared at him. Justin’s eyes widened a bit. He closed his mouth and sat down instantly.

“I don’t think his mother would go along with that idea. I don’t even like the idea,” JC continued. “I’d rather you have his solo shots by himself. If you could speak to the director about my concerns I’d appreciate it.”

Michelle smile. “Sure thing, cutie.” She lightly tapped JC’s chin before walking out of the room. He blushed and turned around only to see the rest of the guys grinning at him.

“Don’t,” JC said in a warning tone.

“Someone’s in loooooooove,” Chris laughed.

“Stop it.”

“JC and Mi-chelle sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” Joey and Justin sang.

“Knock it off,” JC growled.

“So when’s the wedding?” Lance asked, joining in on the fun. JC’s eyes widened as he looked at Lance. Lance was the last person he expected to join in on their teasing, especially at his expense.

“I just have one thing to say to you,” JC said, turning to Justin whom he blamed for the whole thing. Justin waited. “Britney.” His face instantly flamed as JC smirked.

“Shut up man,” Justin grumbled, walking quickly out of the room. He ignored the other guys laughing at him and walked around the warehouse. A set like a photo shoot was set up, it wouldn’t surprise him if they had to do one while they were there or even do a magazine interview. Johnny never said anything to them but he wouldn’t put it past them. They had to keep their name big in Europe after all.

He was amazed that they had a lot of things there for them to use if they ever got bored: acoustic guitars, books, skateboards, magazines, and CDs. A table of food was put into a corner near some couches. His stomach growled when he saw that pizza was sitting on the table. He desperately wanted a piece but he knew the rules: cheese and other dairy products coat you’re your vocal chords in mucus and phlegm. But they weren’t really singing, they were lip-synching so they could have pizza, right?

“Don’t even think about it, Timberlake.” Justin whipped his head around to see Mack sitting on top of a coffee table, staring intently at the book in her hands. He laughed and walked over to her. If she didn’t have to sit in a chair she would always sit on a table. For some reason she was comfortable that way.

“Why do you address me by my last name?” he asked, walking over to her.

“’Cause it’s the only way I know you’ll listen to me,” she replied without looking up.

“So what’s the game plan for the day?”

“What makes you think I know something?”

“’Cause you didn’t deny it and you’re always full of information.”

She finally looked up at him smiling a bit. “Good point.  Aside from your video shoot you’re also doing a photo shoot and a magazine interview for some German mags. That’s why they’re going to make part of your video you guys having a mini photo shoot while you’re dancing to the chorus of the song.”

“I knew it.” He sat down on the arm of the chair that was sitting behind her and leaned over. “Math test?’ he guessed, looking over her shoulder.

“Mhm,” she replied. “It’s going to be a killer, although Mr. Yerger wouldn’t say that but I know how hard his tests can be.”

“Only ‘cause you suck at math.”

“Well you suck at history.”

You suck at life.” Instead of firing back with a clever comeback she fell silent, causing him to frown. He gently nudged her shoulder with his own. “What’s goin’ on with you lately? You’re not laughing as much as you usually do and you don’t call me names?” he placed his hand on her forehead. “Is everything ok?”

She slapped his hand away and nodded. He was about to question her when Lance called his name. He looked up and Lance continued, saying something about the director wanting to talk to him. Justin sighed and went off in search for the director. Lance too his place on the armrest of the chair. “I’m fine,” Mack spoke suddenly.

“How’d you know what I was going to ask?” Lance question.

“You boys are too predictable,” she replied, turning the page. “No, I don’t feel ready. No, I don’t have any confidence in myself ‘cause this stuff is hard. Yes, I did study last night with the tips you gave me.”

“Ok, now that you’ve cleared all of my important questions out of the way why’re you being so defensive?” Lance asked. She grunted. “Let me reword that, why’re you being so secretive?”

“I’m not,” she denied.

“Yes you are. For one thing, you’re avoiding the question. Another, you don’t wear your hats forward. Ever.” He flicked the brim of the blue cap that was pressed down against her hair which was pulled back into two braids. “And, lastly, you’re not looking at me.” She didn’t move. “Look at me,” Lance said gently, but firmly.

“You’re going to freak out,” she muttered.

“No I won’t. Just look at me so I know everything’s all right and we have no need to worry.”

Sighing, she pulled her cap off her head, brushed her bangs out of her face, and turned to look at Lance. His mouth fell open once she looked at him. A bruise had formed around her right eye and it was a little shiny in the light. “Oh my gosh, what happened?”

“I told you you’d freak out,” she sighed.

“I’m not freaking out, I’m asking.”

“I was play fighting with my dad,” she replied looking back at the math book in her hands. “We got a little too into it and he accidentally punched me in the eye. It was worse yesterday, I’m fine now. Really.”

“Ok.” Judging by Lance’s tone he wasn’t convinced but he decided to accept her answer anyway. He hugged her around the shoulders. “You’re going to ace that test, ok? Stop worrying. Once you’re done we’re going to do our group shots so you can yell at us like when we make a mistake like you usually do.” He earned a laugh out of her which caused him to smile. “See you later.”

She nodded. Once he was finally out of sight and earshot she let out a long slow breath. Her head still hurt from last night. In reality she had Chris driver her home when it got too late. She, stupidly, decided to stay up and wait for him. He finally came home around two in the morning drunk off his rocker and screaming at the top of his lungs. She tried to get him to calm down and help him up the stairs to his room but she tried to get out of her grasp which resulted in her getting hit in the eye and falling down the last few stairs. It seemed to instantly sober him up ‘cause the next thing she knew he was by her side apologizing profusely.

She flinched when she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Mr. Yerger. “Are you ready?” he asked with a kind smile.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

Chapter End Notes:
Oooh, Lance is getting suspicious. Please read and review, I love to know what you guys think of the story.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers unrequited presync eurosync love bestfriendj tourj jealous originalcharacter boybands