Author's Chapter Notes:
Note: this chapter hasn't been proofread, I'm too excited to proof read it. I'll go back. Anyway, here's the second to last chapter. Next chapter is the last one before I work on the sequel. Enjoy ^_^

Chapter 34: Memphis Soul

April 6-16th, 1997

(Spring Break)

The I Want You Back Tour was a big success for a the boys, a little bit too big. Every where they went somehow the fans figured out where they were and bombarded them. Of course the boys were nice about it, signed every autograph, took every picture, and accepted every gif. The boys appreciated the fact that their fans took the time to make the guys feel good and tell them that they cared and treated them like people. Well, more like Gods than people, but they appreciated it anyway. And they never let it get to their heads.

Mack, on the other hand, thought that she had slipped under the radar. The fans, they hadn’t known she was there for support, to be somewhat of their daily manager (face it they wouldn’t get where they needed to be on time if it weren’t for her), and their choreographer. Somehow, someway, they found out, and the next thing she knew she was also being chased down streets begging for information about the guys. Some magazines even caught wind that she was their choreographer and asked for some interviews, which the guys, Johnny, and Lou all suggested. Some of the articles went the wrong way, usually turning into a gossip article wondering which one she was dating. They laughed about; she was appalled and disgusted (“why would I date one of you guys?”). Add on the pressure that Johnny and Lou were putting on her to accept a recording contract, and she was about ready for the tour to be over and vacation to start.

It didn’t come fast enough for all of them. By the time it was the end of the tour Chris was about ready to throw himself off of the bus just to get to the airport faster. If he had the power to speed up time they were sure he’d do that as well.

She was still iffy about going back home, to Memphis of all places. She hasn’t been there in years. No one knew the real reason why she stayed away, they just assumed now it was because her mother had moved back there with her new boyfriend while working out divorce with her dad.

That was far from the truth.

“I still don’t get why you’re not coming back with me,” Mack said as she watched Justin grab a t-shirt off of the floor of his hotel room. He stared at it, brought it up to his nose, and sniffed. Mack made a face when he pulled off the shirt he was wearing and put on the shirt that was in his hands. “That’s so gross,” she muttered.

Justin just shrugged and smiled. “And I told you, I want to spend some time with Ronnie,” he said, continuing to fold his clothes and put them in his suitcase.

“You always see her, though,” she whined.

“You know very well that I don’t always see her, ‘cause I’m always with you,” he pointed out.

“Is that a bad thing?”

Justin stopped what he was doing and looked at her when he heard that tone in her voice. She was looking at him as if she was about ready to cry. What the hell did she and Jace talk about? She’s more emotional than usual. “Of course it’s not a bad thing, I love spending time with you,” he said gently. “I just need to see her. I miss her and I need to see if she missed me too.” He closed his eyes. He hadn’t meant to spill his insecurity, but when it came to Ronnie he just couldn’t help it.

“Memphis won’t be the same without you,” Mack said, picking at her nails. “Nor Jace. The one time I finally go back you two decide to go on a romantic vacation to whisk away your lady loves.” She rolled her eyes.

“You’ll understand when you’re older,” Justin advised.

“Who are you, Trace? I’m not that much younger than you.”

“You’re acting like it right now.” Justin grinned. “Speaking of, I think…I think you should give Trace a chance.” Mack looked at him in confusion. He sat down on the end of the bed, taking her hand in his. “Trace really cares about you. I know I was stupid before, ruining your ‘first date’ and all, but I finally get it. Give Trace a chance, he’ll make you happy, I assure you.”

“It’s not that simple, Juppy.”

“Yes it is, you’re afraid he’ll walk out on you. That’s what you think Ms. Charlotte and Philippe did. We haven’t walked out on you. You have to stop being so afraid of love, Mackie.”

“Don’t call me that,” she said making a face. “It gets on my nerves.”

“Oh, I know,” Justin beamed, jumping up. He grabbed another t-shirt off of the floor and shoved it into his suitcase. He then noticed that Mack was starting hard at the pile of clothes in his suitcase. He laughed, “have at it.”

Thank you!” Mack grabbed the suitcase and dumped it over, letting all of the clothes fall to the floor before she grabbed a shirt and folded it. “I don’t know why you bother if you know I’m going to refold them.”

“I just like seeing your weird OCD,” he replied. “You’ll have fun in Memphis without me. You can show Chris, Lance, and Joey the General Store and the lake and the park and all that fun stuff. Don’t forget to hit up Beale Street; the guys will flip when they see it.”

“I won’t. It may have been years since I’ve last been there but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten everything about it,” Mack said with an eyeroll.

“It seemed like you were trying to,” Justin said honestly. “You’ve spent more time in Canada than you did Tennessee.”

“I have grandparents in Montreal,” she pointed out.

“And your Dad’s parents are in Memphis, missing you a lot, might I add.” Justin picked up an article of clothing off of the floor. “You’re not going to regret it.”

“Uh huh.” Mack’s eyebrows became one when she noticed the tight hold Justin had on the clothing. “Hey J?”

“Yeah?” He looked at her.

“Let go of my bra.”

He looked at his hand and quickly dropped the bra as if he had been scalded by hot water. Mack cracked up.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Wow, it feels like I walked into a wall of heat,” Chris commented as they stepped out of the airport.

“I told you that you shouldn’t wear black,” Mack said as she shook her head.

“So who’s picking us up?” Joey asked, lowering the brim of his cap.

“My momma,” Mack replied, sitting down on the lid of her suitcase and looked at her watch. “She should’ve been here  a half hour ago.”

“Maybe there’s traffic,” Lance suggested.

Mack didn’t say anything; she just got off her suitcase and started to dig through it. She successfully found the blue bandana she was looking for. She tied it around her forehead to keep the sweat out of her eyes and put her cap back on her head. She needed a distraction before she said something she would regret later.

A sharp honk grabbed their attention and they turned around. “I’m finally here, sweetie!” Charlotte yelled from the driver’s side of the car.

“Sacrebleu,” Mack muttered, lightly slapping her face with her hand. “Tell me she didn’t just do that.”

“She didn’t just do that,” Joey chirped, lightly patting her on the shoulder.

Mack rolled her eyes and finally got a good look at the car. Her mouth fell open and she rushed to the passenger side door, staring at the seats, the leather interior, the wheels, everything. “Momma…where’d you get this car?” She gasped starting at the red and white 1963 Chevrolet Impala Convertible.

“Well, you know Mike. My, uh, new boyfriend,” Charlotte said as she adjusted the red bandana that covered her jet black hair. “He was driving back one day and he found it sitting in someone’s yard for sale. It was in pretty bad shape so it was kind of cheap but he bought it anyway, always said he wanted to fix up a car. So, he spent the last three months buying parts, changing parts, fixing and washing the car. And here it is.” She spread her arms as if saying ‘tada’.

“It looks so new,” Joey said as he opened the trunk and started putting their suitcases into it.

“Mike did a good job,” Mack muttered, lightly touching the sleek side of the car, not taking her eyes off of it. “So when am I going to meet this Mike?” She asked.

“As soon as we get home, so get in.” Charlotte leaned over and opened the door. Mack brought forward the seatback and stepped back to let the boys into the back. Charlotte smoothly pulled the car forward and Mack was amazed at how it practically glided down the street and onto the highway.

As they got closer and closer to Memphis and to her old home the smile on Mack’s face got bigger. She looked around at everything they passed as if she hadn’t been there before, everything felt so new yet memorable at the same time.

“So, you guys are going to be staying at Lynn’s place,” Mack said over the roar of the wind as they turned down a street lined with trees. “Only ‘cause there’s not enough space at my house. Justin lives a few houses down and Trace is on another street but it’s close by. Rachael, Justin’s cousin, lives on the same street as Trace.”

“Wow, they weren’t kidding when they said that families basically live in the same place,” Joey commented.

Mack smiled, leaned back, and stretched. She remembered all of the times they drove down the road, the sun trying to peek through the trees that lined the streets. She waved to a couple of kids that were playing in the front yard, running around in their sprinklers or playing with their puppies. They waved back energetically before going back to what they were doing as if they hadn’t been interrupted.

“Well, this is it,” Mack said as they pulled into the driveway. Joey, Lance, and Chris sat up straighter in their seats and took in the house. The house was white, a Ranch Victorian style with a large wraparound porch. Charlotte passed through the small gates in front of the house and drove up to the side of the house where the garage was. They all got out of the cars and started to take out their suitcases when the screen door opened with a creak.

“It’s about time you get here!” Trace commented as he stepped onto the porch. A smaller girl stepped out onto the porch next to him; her hands shoved into her jeans pockets. Her dark brown hair fell a little past her shoulders and the bangs fell into her honey-brown eyes. “Rachael here was starting to drive me crazy wondering when you would get here,” he complained in his southern drawl.

“Surrre, Trace it was all me,” Rachael said with an eye roll as she walked over to Mack. “Really it was him, he just wanted to make sure he kept his image,” she whispered.

“I kinda figured,” Mack laughed. “So how have you been? Trace said you transferred to Craigmont High.”

“Yup, Memphis Central wasn’t really doing it for me so I figured ‘why not bother Trace for the next four years’?” She laughed and looked at the guys who were pulling their suitcases out of the car. “Ohh, those are J’s bandmates, right?”

“Yeah, I’ll introduce you,” Mack said, pulling her over to the guys. “Guys, this is Justin’s cousin Rachael. Rachael that’s Joey, Lance, and Chris,” she said pointing at each person.

“Hi,” she said with a wave.

“How you doin’, little lady?” Joey asked, a southern accent suddenly finding its way into his voice.

“I’m good,” Rachael laughed. She turned to Mack. “He watches Friends doesn’t he?”

“We all do. It’s kinda like a tradition for us whenever it comes on,” Mack replied. “And that’s a horrible accent, Joe,” she added, grabbing her suitcase. “How long have you two been stationed in my house?”

“Since Ms. Charlotte left for the airport. We figured you’d be back an hour ago,” Rachael replied as they walked towards the stairs of the house. She lowered her voice. “Trace was pacing the entire time, glancing at his watch and growling under his breath. He’s likin’ you somethin’ fierce.”

“You’re not the first to tell me that,” Mack replied, walking up the mini set of stairs and stopped by the side door. She put her suitcase down and walked the few short steps over to Trace. “Hey Midget,” she said with a tiny smile.

“You do know that I’m taller than you right,” he asked, laughing a little.

“Yeah, but Midget is a much better name for you than it is for me,” she responded.

“Will you two hug all ready?” Rachael demanded from the passenger seat of the Chevy. “We have some sights to see!”

Trace laughed. “Gotta do what the lady says.” He held out his arms and stepped towards her, engulfing her in a hug. He rested his chin on her shoulder and held her tight. He let out a slow breath and closed his eyes when he felt her hugging him back. She rested her forehead on his shoulder and took in his cologne as her thoughts raced.

Holy hell, when did he get muscles? I can feel it every time he moves slightly. He’s been working out. And his cologne smells amazing. I wonder where he got it. And since when was his southern drawl cute? Gahh, Mack stop acting like some freakin’ hormonal maniac. It’s just Trace of all people!

“Come on!” Rachael yelled.

Trace smiled shyly at her. “Ladies first.”

“Sweetie, I need you to be back by six,” Charlotte called from the porch.

“But Momma! I was going to go to the Horse Pen later!” Mack said as she turned to look at Charlotte.

“I would like to talk about the opportunities that you’ve been given,” Charlotte replied in a stern tone. Mack opened her mouth to argue but Charlotte stopped her by lifting her hand. “Six o’clock.”

Fine,” she muttered begrudgingly, moving over to the car. Charlotte waved as the six teens jumped into the car, Trace at the steering wheel. She watched as they backed out and drove back down the street.

“I thought we were going to talk about it once she got here,” Mike commented, stepping out of the house and wrapping his arms around Charlotte’s waist.

“I wanted to. But…I know my daughter, she needs some time. This…it’s going to put her in a different head space and I’d rather she know about it at the end of the day so she can sleep on it and not suffer from Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome.”

“Ah, yes, FIMS. That must run in your family,” Mike said with a laugh. “You’ve suffered from FIMS a few times yourself.”

“Don’t remind me,” Charlotte said as she rolled her eyes.

“Hey, it trapped me, didn’t it?”

“And you’re here to stay?” Charlotte closed her eyes. She hated sounding like a little kid.

“Yes, babe, I’m here to stay.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Mack, slow down.”

“Yeah, wait for us!”

Mack laughed as she slowed down and turned to face everyone else. “Why don’t you slowpokes hurry up?” She shouted back, putting her hands on her hips.

“No one has short legs to walk as fast as you, Speed Demon,” Chris shot back.

“You’re closer to the ground then rest of these people,” Mack pointed out.

“And you would know that, Smurfette,” Chris said, marching right up to her. “How’s the view down there?” He yelled at her. She playfully shoved him before dashing into the ice cream store that they finally arrived at.

“Huh,” Lance muttered, following them inside.

“What’s up?” Joey asked, turning to his friend, looking around at the ice cream shop.

“This is the happiest I’ve ever seen her,” Lance replied, tilting his head a bit. He could feel Joey looking at him in disbelief. “I’m not saying it’s the happiest she’s been ever, I’m just saying I’ve never seen her this happy. Look at her, her eyes are brighter, her smile reaches her eyes, and she’s more animated and more open. This is a totally 180 from what she was like in Europe.”

“Maybe she was a little homesick,” Joey said, shrugging.

“No, I don’t think that was it,” he replied, rubbing his chin. “It’s something else.” He called to Mack, letting her know that they’d get a table while they put in their orders, and dragged Joey over to a table, sitting down across from him.

“Since when did you get all detective on us?” Joey asked, lifting an eyebrow.

“I’m not being a detective, I’ve just been very observant and noticing things you guys haven’t,” Lance replied.

“Really? ‘Cause last I checked I was the only one who’s noticed that she’s a girl,” Joey replied evenly. “Don’t say I don’t notice things.”

“Fair enough.” Lance sighed. He waved his arm, motioning Joey to lean forward across the table. “Here are the things I’ve noticed: 1) whenever any of us asked her about something in her past she would utter, like, four sentences then completely shut down, not talking until the subject was changed.” Joey thought back to all of the times they would just be going around talking about how they acted in their past and the numerous stupid things they’ve done (for example, JC jumping off the roof of a two story building) and suddenly realized that Lance was right. Lance continued. “2) she became extremely clingy to Justin while overseas yet once we get here she doesn’t seem to care what he’s doing at all, as if he’s been wiped from her mind. 3) She became quick to anger, sometimes even being hostile, especially whenever her parents were involved. However, as soon as Miss Charlotte picks us up they’re civil to each other when, before, Mack snapped at her and disrespected her. And lastly, the one thing that really grabbed my attention is that she freaks out and seems to pull into herself whenever Lou is around.”

“I’ve noticed that too,” Joey whispered. “But I thought I was seeing things so I didn’t say anything.”

“Same here,” Lance sighed. “She’s been telling me how she hates Lou.”

“I know, she keeps saying how he’s too helpful and a little too smiley. I just thought it was because she had a thing against people being too perky but it’s just him,” Joey agreed. “In a way…she’s acting like a kid in trouble with a parent.”

“I was thinking the same thing,” Lance agreed. “But…something’s amiss about it. It’s a little…off.”

“Yeah.” Joey looked up and quickly dragged his finger across his throat, signaling to cut the conversation. He looked up as the others joined them and gave them their ice cream.

“Chris…what is that?” Lance asked, staring at the mountain of ice cream that was in his bowl. It looked more like a disgusting blend of something someone threw up.

“That’s the special for the week,” Mack explained.

“What makes it special?”

“You don’t want to know.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” Lance lifted the spoon of his Cookie Dough ice cream into his mouth and smiled at the taste. “So, where to next on the grand tour?” He asked, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

“The General Store, then the horse pen, then Beale Street,” Rachael replied. “You’ll absolutely love Beale Street. The music is amazing and the atmosphere is so relaxed the time will fly by and you won’t even know it. The food is great too and there’s no hostility in the air, no arguments about what music is better because we’re all sharing the bond that music brings.”

“You sound like you’re in a fairy tale,” Mack commented, making a face before trying to dig out a strawberry chunk in her ice cream.

Rachael merely let it slid off her back. “I’m not the only one who’s living a fairy tale from what I’ve heard.” Mack looked up at her but didn’t stop shoving her spoon into the ice cream to wrestle out the chunk of fruit. “Word on the grapevine is that you’re getting pretty close with a certain blond haired singer that goes by the name of Nick Carter.”

“Since when is my personal life any of your business?” Mack asked, stuffing the strawberry into her mouth and chewing.

“When it comes to someone I know dating someone famous, it’s always my business,” Rachael replied with a laugh.

“Who said anything about me dating him? Better yet, who said anything in the first place?” She stared hard at Lance, Joey, and Chris who were sitting on the other side of the table. They looked away from her and turned their attention down at their bowls.

“Calm the interrogation act, girl, Justin called me,” Rachael told her. “So, how’d you meet this knight in shining armor? He has to be something special to get past your wall.”

“Rachael, shut up!” Mack hissed through clenched teeth. She could feel Trace tensing up beside her.

“What? What did I say?” She asked innocently.

“Nothing,” Mack sighed. “Let’s just go.”

“Ok, fine.” They gathered up their things, threw away the empty bowls and left the store to walk back to the car. Rachael hooked her arm with Mack’s and slowed them down so they were walking behind the guys. “I was just poking fun at you, I didn’t think it’d make Trace this upset.”

“Yeah, suurrrree you didn’t.” Mack rolled her eyes.

“I didn’t!” Rachael insisted. “Honest. I mean, I knew he liked you but I thought that he knew you didn’t feel the same way for him.” She paused. “Unless you do feel the same way…”

Mack slowly shook her head. “That’s the problem, I don’t know if I do and I don’t know if I wan to risk it.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean what if we do get together? What happens after that? One day we could be fine and the next he could be breaking up with me for some ridiculous reason. I mean, I work for these guys and I don’t know how long I will. I told myself as long as they need me I’ll be there for them, no matter what it is which means I might have to drop everything at a phone call and rush out to help them. And I have a potential job choreographing for the Backstreet Boys lined up and a movie offer I might take and a recording contract I might take.”

“Wait a minute. Pause, rewind,” Rachael said, pushing imaginary buttons in the air. “You’re only fifteen and you have four different jobs that are being handed to you and you don’t know which one you’re going to take?”

“Exactly,” Mack replied, nodding. “I wasn’t going to say anything about it unless I knew what I wanted to do but I’m still stuck. That’s everything I’ve always wanted to do and they’re all being offered to me but…I don’t know, I can’t help feeling that somehow, somewhere down the road, it’s going to be a bad decision.”

“Annnnd…you don’t want to get with Trace because of it?” Rachael asked.

“No, I don’t want to get with Trace because it’s an easy way out,” Mack replied honestly.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Are you sure you guys don’t want to ride?” Mack called, steadying her horse, Bluebelle. Bluebelle was a pure white horse with a blond mane. The only other color on it was the grayish blue mark on her nose. Rachael sat on her horse next to Mack, a brown and white mixed horse named Mixer respectively.

“I like having my feet on the ground,” Chris called back.

“Suit yourself.” Mack shrugged and urged Bluebelle forward, Rachael followed at her side. They took off down the marked trail, wind rushing by their ears and creating a whistling sound. Mack smiled at the familiar rocking as she urged Bluebelle to move faster down the trail. She couldn’t describe how good it felt to be back on a horse after abandoning riding for years, it was as if she had never left Memphis at all.

“Race you!” Rachael shouted as Mixer took off ahead.

“Cheater!” Mack shouted, racing after her.

“Loser!” She yelled over her shoulder.

Mack laughed out loud, one of her genuine laughs that hurt her abs when she was done, and the part that surprised her was that she was laughing with Rachael and the fact that she hadn’t laughed that hard in so long. She and Rachael weren’t friends while they grew up; Rachael was one of those types of girls that followed their mothers to become a southern belle. Mack stayed away from them as if they were the plague and she never thought she’d befriend them. Yet Rachael was different now, she was more like Mack…but still girly, just not as much. Maybe it was that she was related to Justin she was fine being around her…

They pulled up at the creek that intersected the trail and jumped off their horses. Making sure they were tied up a bit the girls waded into the creek and sat on a big rock. “Explain this to me again,” Rachael finally spoke up.

Mack sighed. “I’m ‘N Sync’s choreographer. The only time I have to do my job, really, is before a single gets released on video or before a tour. Otherwise I don’t do anything and I get paid per show. While in Europe with the guys I was forced to open for them, to sing a few songs while they got ready. Apparently I did so well that Transcon Records offered me a recording contract. At the same time Momma came to Germany or Sweden or wherever the fuck we were and said that I had a chance to audition for a Titanic movie that’s going into production soon. Then once in Germany while we were having dinner with the Backstreet Boys Lou suddenly brought up the idea of me choreographing for them to make my resume bigger ‘cause I all ready have choreographing for my boys on it but I also have choreographing for some kids here, some kids in Orlando, and winning competitions and stuff. The problem is, while this was happening, I was thinking of coming back to school for a while and leave the hustle and bustle of the entertainment industry.”

“Hell no!” Rachael cried out. “You’re not giving up a fabulous life for Memphis. I love it and all, but you don’t belong in this small town. We all know that, you know that. You can always come back here and find yourself and all that jazz but you, girl, belong in the big world.”

“And you’re dumber than a stump,” Mack responded. “Rach, I didn’t want to do any of that stuff until it’s recently been offered and I don’t like doing things unless I have a passion for it, like dancing.”

“But Mack, think of it this way,” Rachael reasoned. “You said yourself that you only choreograph for a certain amount of time, right? While you’re waiting for another choreography job for either groups you could try your hand at acting or record a CD. Didn’t you say that your friend Britney is starting to record? You’re the same age and opportunities like this come once in a life time. Take it from me, we Memphians”––Mack laughed––“may leave but we always remember where we came from. And don’t forget this, we don’t have a Beale Street for nothing.” She glanced at her watch. “We should get back before the guys worry.”

Mack nodded and the two quickly pulled their shoes back onto their feet and got up onto their horses, turning them to head back up the trail. A thought suddenly struck her. “Hey Rach…when Trace called me to tell me to come home he said my mom needed me. Do you know why?”

Rachael glanced at her and shook her head. “No clue,” she replied. “Even if I did it wouldn’t be my place to tell you, now is it?” She looked ahead. “Do you want to race back?”

“No, I’m going to take my time,” Mack replied. Rachael nodded and took off ahead of her, the thundering sound of footsteps fading into the distance. All at once the silence crashed around her as thoughts shot around in her brain as if shot out of a cannon. The words that Lance had said wouldn’t leave her mind.

“Mack snapped at her and disrespected her…”

“Your parents are splitting up because they’re not happy with each other. Don’t ever think that it’s your fault, because it’s not.”

“You’re the one pushing us away no matter how hard we try to help you. You tell me to be a man? Be a woman and accept our help and stop running away!”

“You can’t just keep avoiding this…”

“Are you sure you’re ok?”

“Why’re you cryin’, Dimples?”

“You downplaying them isn’t going to make them go away you know.”

“You have this wall protected around you that you won’t let anyone in.”

“Do you always run away from your problems or do you just have a confrontation problem?”

“I told you I came to talk. I don’t understand why you’re making this so difficult.”

“I didn’t want us to end up this way.”

“What’s going on? You’re easily irritated, I know that, but lately you’ve been irate. You blow up at the smallest things like Chris not screwing the top of a milk container on all the way.”

“He’s just worried, we all are.”

Bluebelle’s soft whinny pulled her back to the present. She looked up through blurred eyes and saw that she was close to the stables. Her eyes darted around rapidly, making sure Rachael wasn’t there. She wasn’t but she could hear their voices nearby, waiting for her. She led Bluebelle into the stables and slid off her back. She dropped to the ground but held onto Bluebelle to make sure she didn’t fall over because she was shaking so much. Bluebelle gently nudged her with her nose and Mack sniffed.

“Thanks, Belle,” she muttered. She hastily wiped her eyes and made sure Bluebelle was in her stable the entire way before closing the gate so she wouldn’t get out and started brushing her hair coat. She tried to get her tears under control but the more the silence surrounded her the harder the tears fell as thoughts slammed into every corner of her brain. One seemed to scream louder above the others.

Be a woman and accept our help and stop running away!”

Mack shook her head and threw down her brush. She felt everything drain from her except for a feeling of regret. The entire time they were there for her and she’s been pushing and shoving them away when she really did need them.

“Sorry I’m leavin’ early, Belle, but…I gotta make things right.” She patted Bluebelle on the nose, quickly opened her stable door, and closed it and locked it. Once making sure the lock was latched, she ran out of the stables and followed the voices of her friends to the watching area.

“Mack? What’s wrong?” Lance asked, noticing her running towards them. She didn’t respond but threw her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shirt. His eyebrows knitted together in confusion but he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tight as she continued to sob. Joey and Chris moved closer, gently putting their hands on her shoulders which shook as she sobbed. A sudden warm feeling washed over her and she felt at peace. ‘Huh, so that’s where that term came from,’ she thought with a smile. “What’s wrong?” Lance repeated.

“Nothing now,” Mack replied sincerely.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Hey Mack, look what Sadie sent over,” Charlotte said as she walked into the kitchen one night with a pie tin in her hands. Mack looked up from the cards that were in her hands and beamed.

“Pecan pie!” she cheered, tossing down her cards, face down. “The game’s on hold, we’re eating pie,” she announced, reaching out for the pan. Once she had it in her grasp she ripped off the foil and took a deep breath in through her nose, inhaling the sent with closed eyes. “Mmmmm, it’s been ages since I’ve eaten this. The wait better have been worth it!” She handed it back to her mother who took it to the stove to cut.

“I swear you’re addicted to that stuff,” Trace commented, putting down his cards and leaning back in his chair to stretch.

“I don’t blame her. No one can beat Grammaw Sadie’s Picture-Perfect Pecan Pie,” Rachael said proudly as she collected their playing cards.

“Do we get ice cream with that?” Chris asked.

“If you go to the freezer and get it yourself,” Mack replied, taking the deck and started to make a card castle with it.

“Fine, I will,” Chris said as he stood.

“I can get it for you,” Mike said from his spot at the kitchen table. He had been silent the entire time since they started playing their card game, only speaking up whenever he tried to help them figure out who won the hand at poker.

Mack thought he was an odd guy at first, very quiet but he was very intelligent and easy going. He was the type of person who would go with the flow, she could tell all ready. He didn’t seem to mind when she and her friends practically invaded her house and caused a lot of noise. He actually joined in and seemed interested in whatever they talked about be it something in the news or something ridiculously stupid (courtesy of Chris). Mack couldn’t say that she like him but she thought he was interesting.

“Let Chris get it, he’s too lazy all ready,” Mack said, focusing on her castle. Chris got up and intentionally shoved his chair into the table. She stared at her card castle in shock as it fluttered to the table. “You did that on purpose!”

“No shit,” Chris responded, going to the freezer.

“Ugh, fun ruiner,” she muttered under her breath, reaching for her cards once more. Trace suddenly shot out his hand and grabbed hers, stopping her from setting the cards up again.

“I need to talk to you,” he said, standing, not letting go of her hand. She dropped the cards she was holding and allowed him to pull her into the living room. He looked over his shoulder to make sure they were alone before speaking. “I, uh, can’t believe Spring Break’s almost over all ready,” he started, shifting his weight from foot to foot. “It went by too quickly.”

“You can say that again, I didn’t even get to do everything on my list,” Mack agreed with a small smile.

“What didn’t you do? We did practically everything we used to do,” Trace said, tilting his head slightly.

“Yeah, but we didn’t go creek stomping like we used to when Justin was here. Nor did we explore the caves and I didn’t get a chance to see the Gregory twins. How old are they now? Seven? Time flies.”

“Yeah, it sure does, you’ll be sixteen soon. Did you ask for a car?”

“The one thing I want I can’t get from my parents or in a box or anything.”

“Oh?” Trace lifted his eyebrows. “What is it?”

“I can’t tell, I’d rather stay surprised,” Mack replied. “Now what was it that you wanted to talk about because you can’t beat around the bush around me?”

Trace sighed. “Rachael told me about your job opportunities and how you said you would rather go to school. I just wanted to say whatever decision you make I’ll support you. You and Justin, you guys deserve more than this town. Do the best you can, we’re all really proud of what you accomplished so far.”

“Aaannnnddd?” Mack prompted with a teasing smile.

And I just hope while you enter the world of the rich and famous that…you don’t forget me or where you came from,” he finished, his voice barely above a whisper.

“I’m here now aren’t I? Before, you couldn’t pay me to come back home but you convinced me, so that should tell you something,” she responded. She paused. “I won’t ever forget you Trace, you know that. You’re my best friend.”

Trace sighed. “I was kinda hopin’ I could be more than your best friend.”

Mack smiled sadly. “I know,” she said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “But it’s better this way. This way we won’t have a falling out and then our friendship won’t be ruined. Besides…I don’t want to get into anything that my heart isn’t into.”

Trace nodded. “I understand.”

“Good. Now let’s get some of that pie before Chris or Joey eat it all.” Mack started to walk back into the kitchen.

“Uh, Mack?” Trace called, stopping her. She stopped and looked at him. “I just…I wanted to, uh…” his words trailed off as he let out a breath. Mack continued to stare at him quizzically. He took a step closer to her, placed a hand on her cheek, swooped down, and tenderly pressed a kiss against her mouth. She gawked when he pulled away from her, a blush tingeing both their cheeks.

“Hey Mackenzie, we need to…whoops,” Charlotte muttered when she and Mike barged into the room. Trace whipped his head at her and hurried out of the room as if being chased. “Sorry, did we interrupt something?” She asked sheepishly.

“Uh, no, nothing at all,” Mack replied shaking her head. She glanced back and forth between the two of them. “What’s up?” They motioned for her to sit down and she sat on the piano bench as they sat on the couch.

“First I wanted to say that I’m glad you’ve finally taken the time to hear my side of…all of the things that have happened. I understand that you’re still upset but I’m glad you finally gave me the chance I deserve,” Charlotte said as she squeezed Mike’s hand. “I also want you to know that I’ll support you in any decision that you make. I’m sure Mike will too.” She looked at him and he nodded, a smile gracing his lips. “And I hope, in turn, that you’ll support any decision that I make and that I feel is right for you and for our family.” Mack nodded slowly, squinting a bit. ‘What in the world is she getting at?’  She thought as she tried to read her mother’s face. “And, even though we’re going through some changes, your father and I still love you and we’re still a family,” she continued.

“Momma, you were never good at jumping around the truth,” Mack stated plainly. “What’s going on? When Trace had called he said you needed me here?  Are you sick, is that it?”

“Not exactly,” Charlotte replied.

“Waddya mean not exactly? Either you are sick or you aren’t,” Mack said, tilting her head, blocking out the screams that were coming from the kitchen.

“Well, at certain times of the day I’m sick,” Charlotte replied.

“I don’t follow,” Mack said, shaking her head.

“Your mother’s pregnant,” Mike stated. “With…with my kid.”

Chapter End Notes:
One more chapter and it's onto the sequel. I can't believe in one month I would've been on this site for a year. Thanks to all who have read and reviewed. I love this community and I hope you all continue to read my stories and continue to enjoy them. Please leave some love.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers unrequited presync eurosync love bestfriendj tourj jealous originalcharacter boybands