Melissa

 

                Balloons. Balloons everywhere filled the space that used to be known as my office. Pinks, blues, yellows, all soft baby colors with the words ‘Congratulations' on them.  Hormones have kicked in because the site of some latex and helium has brought me to tears. I turn and see Meredith standing in the doorway.

"Just a little congratulations for you." She says with tears in her eyes. "It's been a long time coming."

I begin to sob, crying like a fool. "How did you know?" I asked.

"I know everything." She said, laughing, ''Plus Justin slipped up said something, thinking I already knew."

"I'm sorry." I felt bad, I should have told her. "I was going to tell you when I got here today. I wanted to tell you in person and I didn't want you to hear it through the great vine, but looks like Justin is telling everyone before I have the chance to. Does everyone know?""

"I'm the only one that knows in the office, no apologizes are necessary. I understand you wanting to wait to tell anyone. You have been through this more than your fair share of heartbreak with pregnancies. I'm glad that you are finally going to have a baby!"

My eyes lit up, he must not have told her everything. "Babies."

She looked at me, stunned. "I'm sorry what?"

"Twins!" I expressed. I couldn't stop smiling.

"Wow, just wow... even better. Is everything ok with both of them?" She came across the room to hug me, gently.

"Everything is perfect.... So, as much as I love this." I spun around pointing at all the balloons. "Please tell me I didn't fly four thousand miles to receive balloons?"

"No." she laughs, "The dress that ABC has been bitching about for a month for the season finale, still isn't done."

"Why isn't it done? I emailed the sketches?"

"Yes and we did that dress and ABC wanted to add something else, then they wanted to make it more of a ball gown, because the character thinks she is a freaking princess... long story short this dress has been a  nightmare."

"When are they shooting the episode?"

"Friday." She looked at me scared.

"Well, we don't have much time... Let's get to work. I would like to get home to my husband soon."

                Adjusting my wardrobe, I tie the ribbon again around the jacket hoping to hold it still. Checking the mirror to make sure the bump was covered I walked out of my office and into the conference room. I walk in the room unnoticed, just the way I like it. Everyone continues working on this dress. I couldn't understand what the big problem was. They wanted the entire bodice covered in crystals and the bottom satin. What was so difficult?

                Most of the room argued for an hour about everything. I was frustrated and burning up in this room. I was sure that it was just my blood pressure from being annoyed that everyone couldn't compromise and just fix the problem. I stood up removing my jacket, throwing it on the chair and slamming my hands down on the table. Making everyone in the room look my direction.

"It's not that difficult." I said louder, "Stop arguing over this.... It has to be done and it needs to be done yesterday. Make the top layer "

"Mel." Meredith interrupted me as the entire room gasped.

"Yes, Meredith."

"Your jacket."

"What about my jacket." I was confused as I looked down at it lying on the chair.

She looked at me with the scared "You... you took it off."

"Ok? I took my jacket off." I took my jacket off. I closed my eyes tight. I took the jacket off, the very jacket that was covering my very swollen abdomen. "Fuck." I dropped my head. I guess the cat was out of the bag.

 

 

Justin

 

                The sun rising and shining into my tightly shut eye lids is the worst thing ever. I stretched out to feel Melissa and pull her next to me. The sun in my eyes is not the worst thing. I have forgot she left this morning, or I should say I tried to block that part of this morning out of my brain.

 It was going to be one of those days. I got out of bed walking half asleep down to the coffee pot. I was sure that Melissa had coffee before she left this morning, and there was no way she had enough time to drink twelve cups. It would be cold, but I knew how to work a microwave, surprisingly.

Standing, watching my cup go round and round, I close my eyes and inhale. I can smell her all over this house. The smell of lilacs is overwhelming. I wanted to hold her in my arms.

Beep. Beep. Beep. I grabbed the cup and placed it directly into my hand, "Ouch." I said, knowing the cup would be hot but I needed the caffeine. I drug my lazy ass back up the stairs sipping on the hot coffee. When I walk into the bathroom, I can smell her again. I see a note taped to the mirror by a tiny heart sticker.

My love, I left lilacs all over the house, I hope the smell fills the void while I'm gone.

I love you. -Mel

I pulled the small sheet of cardstock off of the mirror, rubbing my thumbs over her neat hand writing. I feel like I lose a piece of me when she is away. I pick up the phone and call her; she had to be in the office by now and I just wanted to hear her voice.

I didn't however want her voicemail, and that's what I got. I was sure she was busy and I was being selfish. I throw my laptop in the passenger seat of the car and eventually jump on the freeway.  The ride was quiet with music playing softly in the background as my mind wonders elsewhere, until I hear something I recognize, my wife, on the radio. "What I'd Give" was a powerful song. Hearing her belt out those notes makes my day. I crank it up louder...

"What I'd give...  To let you love me... Find everything that brings your joy... Wake up to your face above me... I'd be that girl and you could be that boy... Found out what that feeling is.... Oh, what I'd give... What I'd give..."

I could listen to her sing to me all day. I close my eyes, listening to her sing to me. She wrote this song with me in mind, which makes it weird to hear as well but she nailed this song perfectly.  She made butterflies appear in my stomach every time I hear her belt those notes.  I was sitting at a red light when I realized that there were paparazzi in the vehicle next to me, witnessing and recording the fact that I'm blaring and singing along with my wife on the radio. Great. I'm a nerd, I'm fully aware of that. My wife also knew that when she married me. I smiled at them and turned the corner to enter the parking lot of the studio.

"Good Morning Mr. Timberlake. I didn't know you were coming in today." Sara said from behind the counter. She not only reminded me of Sarah, she looked like her. Sometimes it was hard to look at her directly and speak to her without want to reach out and hug her. I knew she wasn't my Sarah but she reminded me of her so much and how much I missed having her around all the time.

"Good Morning Sara! Cut the Mr. Timberlake crap. We have this discussion every time I walk through these doors."

"They would have my ass if I didn't call you that." She said, throwing her head back realized she just said ass at work.

I laughed, "See that's the Sara I like." He laughed. "I'm all about the profanity."

She flipped through screen after screen on the computer. "I don't see that you are scheduled in a studio today?"

"What? My assistant had me booked all week. We cancelled a couple days but not today."

"I don't know what happened but ..." She continued to look at the computer screen, "It looks like JC cancelled the studio."

"Can you get me into one? I have to finish some things before I leave town."

"I'll rearrange some things. I will get you into a studio. Don't worry." She smiled "By the way, Rob is here in Studio four, if you are looking for him. He isn't working, just visiting."

"I'm going to need someone to help out today." I said, taking my phone out and dialing Rob's number.

I sat waiting for her to find a studio for me to work in today. I had a couple hours before Elizabeth was scheduled to come in. Shit. I thought.  Elizabeth. JC wasn't going to be there. I would have to actually deal with her today. I really hope that JC's thoughts and ideas about her were wrong. I don't know if I could work with her everyday and let her continue to think that there was something going on that will never happen. Maybe, just maybe JC is completely wrong.

Sara informs me that I can go into my normal studio which is great. It's the one that's kind of hid from the rest of them and I can work in there without anyone bothering me. JC finally sends me a text an hour after being in the studio saying that he was sick and that he would try to get there tomorrow. If I would have known he was sick, I would have gone to NYC with my wife this morning.

 

I jumped in the booth with Rob behind the board. "I have to lay these tracks. I have had this song in my head since last night and I need to get it out."

"You already have the guitar part done?" Rob asked laughing. "Only you Justin. Only you."

"Are you going to make fun of my OCD all day or can we record this track?"

"Sing your heart out Justin."

I grabbed my water and chugged. I gripped that bottle tightly as I begin to sing into the mic.

 

"Is it possible to maybe to ever love so strong... That nothing could ever compare...  I'm holding back nothing just for the look in your eyes... So baby don't be surprised... I want to know what makes your world go round... And I want to hear your voice from the sound... From a love that defines all I've had in mind... Now I'm holding back nothing for the look in your eyes..."

I see Rob listening intently. His eyes are close, listening to every lyric.

"Impossible maybe, but worth one last try... I'm waiting on your reply... I'm sitting waiting patiently just one chance... That I might be able to hold you tight..."

                I sat for a moment in silence after finishing the song. It was perfect.

"Where do you come up with those things to say to your wife, my god."

"I just wanted to tell her that after all these years, I still look for the love she has for me in her eyes. She has this look in her eyes when she looks deep into my eyes." I had chills. "I just love her more every day."

"She is a lucky woman that's for sure. You're a great guy and you love her dearly. Most wives are lucky enough to have their husbands not cheat..."

"I'm the lucky one. I have her."

"You two are perfect together. And it kind of makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit." He joked.

                I sat back down at the board waiting for Elizabeth to arrive. I was tweaking the guitar and the drum intro listening to the track.

"Impossible maybe, but worth one last try... I'm waiting on your reply... I'm sitting waiting patiently just one chance... That I might be able to hold you tight... I want know what makes your world go round... And I want to hear your voice from the sound.... From a love that defines all I have in mind... I'm holding back nothing for the look in your eyes..."

                "I can't wait for her to hear it." I mumbled to myself.

 

"I knew it." A woman's voice echoes behind me as I sat behind the board tweaking the sound of the guitar on the track. "I knew you felt the same way."

I spun around in my chair to see Elizabeth standing right over in front of me. I scoot the chair back away from her. "What are you talking about?"

JC was right. Damn that JC.

"Justin... I knew the moment we had our first conversation that you were interested in me." She expresses.

I put my strongest defensive face on. "I don't know what you think you know but I am a happily married man."

"We don't have to lie to everyone anymore." She steps closer when I hear the door open and close. I slid the chair further away from her.

And then I see one of my dearest friends standing in the doorway. I see Melissa's best friend standing in the room where Elizabeth just confessed her love for me.

"Justin?" He flies his arms up in the arm. "What the fuck is going on here?"

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Ok Ok... I know another cliffhanger, I'm really earning the title here but this is how I keep you coming back! lol

Song Credit: Ryan Tedder "The Look"



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story