Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy!
 

 

Melissa

 

The doctor's office is eerie quiet for a Monday morning. The room is full of patients and they are all staring at us, whispering. It's quiet embarrassing. Justin and I just sit there quietly trying not to do anything that will draw more attention to this side of the room.

It's been over a month since I found out I was pregnant, again. I have really no expectations at all. I can't get myself super excited for something that could very well be pulled out from under me. I couldn't let that pressure be put on myself again. As far as I was aware, I was still pregnant and everything was on course. I had missed my last appointment because we decided to take a random vacation. It was very irresponsible of us however we needed to get away. We needed to breathe for a moment and just live life for what it was. We never stopped what we normally would have to prevent something from happening during this pregnancy. I didn't change a thing. My work schedule if anything got busier. The fashion line for ABC was going smoothly but it was the long nights in the recording studio that were different.

It was amazing to be back in that booth singing again. Seeing Justin, light up again when a song comes together was something I feared would never happen again. I was glad to have that Justin back. I know that I have been in this industry for several years however it's still weird to see my face on the cover of a magazine or even inside of one. The paparazzi pictures are always my favorite. They catch you at the most random moments. Who really wants a picture of me pumping gas? Seriously doesn't everyone do that?

Justin looks antsy as well. He is fidgeting with his pants. What was he doing? If we weren't in a doctors office I would think he was getting turned on and adjusting himself to prevent anyone from seeing it. "Babe." I asked but was interrupted by a very loud noise.

"Step Inside, walk this way... " Starts to blare... "You and me babe, hey hey hey hey hey.... Love is like a bomb... baby c'mon get it on..." Very loudly starts playing inside my purse. Shit of course it would be my phone. Of course it would be a ringtone that catches everyone's attention in the room, and it would be extremely loud. I couldn't find it anywhere in my purse so the phone continues to ring... I was going to hurt him for putting that ringtone as his ringer ID. My face turns beat red as the entire room is completely focused on us now. I finally found the phone after it rang three or four times. I silenced it before I even thought about answering it... then a moment later I get a text. "IT'S TIME!!!!!"

"Oh my god." I said out loud as everyone was continues staring at me.

Justin looks over at me cocking his head to the side, "What?"

I whisper, "It's time!"

"What?"

"It's time!" I say with the biggest grin on my face.

His face drops, "That was Steve?"

I nodded my head to insure him that it was time.

I sent a quick text back and shoved the phone back in my purse, on silent this time...

"@ the Dr's. I will be there asap. BTW, ‘pour some sugar on me' just played very loudly four times while I was searching for the damn phone in the bottom of my purse. Thanks for that : ) "

 

"Melissa Timberlake" The nurse announces as she steps out of her office area, in the most hideous scrubs I had ever seen, motioning for me to follow her. "The doctor is ready to see you. Follow me." Justin has a tight grip on my hand as we walk down the long hallway to the empty room.

                My leg starts to shake uncontrollably as I sit on that cold exam table. I have damn near panic attacks when I walk into this doctor's office. I never know what to expect when I walk through those doors or what my life will be like when I walk out of the doors.

In walks the doctor with his perfect crisp white coat.

"How are you feeling?"

"Pregnant." I joked.

"That's a good sign, believe it or not...." He puts on a set of gloves and begins to look at the screen as he moves the ultrasound around my slightly swollen stomach. Things were different this time. I have never had my stomach swollen at all. I never got past that stage where I started to show. I had just passed the threshold of four months.

"Dr. Craddock I don't know how much bad news I can handle so please don't look at me like that... I need you to be straight with me. Just tell me." I said to him, with a panic in my voice.

He looks back at the monitor. "There." He says as he turns up the volume on the monitor. "Two Heartbeats."

                Justin and I both look at each other and start to cry. Our baby's heartbeat, it sounded like a galloping horse. It was a sound that was better than and song I had ever heard before.

As the next words come out of his mouth, my jaw drops.

 

 

Justin

 

                I hate doctor's offices. I hate the idea of them. I hate this doctor's office specifically. We always seem to walk out of this office with bad news. I was ready for something else. I was ready for anything other than bad news.

                Melissa is sitting quietly next to me. I'm sure she is over analyzing everything that may or may not happen today. She has gotten good at over analyzing things. She even does that in the studio now, which I have to break her from. Things can't be over thought in the studio, that's when creativity flies and analyzing everything is not a good thing.

                Thinking about the studio only makes me think about two nights ago. We had been in there for hours upon hours working on different things. The sun had already gone down and came back up, but we didn't even notice. Time is something that doesn't matter when you are in that place. We had recorded the last section of the song and I remember gently pushing her up against the wall next to the microphone that we had been using. I had to have her lips on mine. I raised her hands above her head, latching her fingers to intertwine with mine, kissing her deeply; I had been craving her all day. I wasn't expecting her to flip around and shove me against the wall and take advantage of me in my tired state. As if it took much to convince me. I loved her spontaneity. I loved that she didn't care where we were. She wanted the same thing I wanted and it was going to happen regardless of where we were in the house.

                I adjusted myself. I was seriously turned on just by the memories of that night. I snap out of that memory by hearing, "...you and me babe, hey hey hey hey hey...." playing very loudly from Melissa's purse. I laugh because I knew exactly what it was the moment I heard it. Steve had changed that ringtone in her phone. They had history about the song and he said that if she wouldn't change it to that than he would... and he did. She left her phone on the counter yesterday during dinner and he grabbed it up and changed it.

                She was so embarrassed that everyone was already staring at her, now she was ever more embarrassed. I kissed her forehead and whispered, "Breathe. I love you."

"Melissa Timberlake." The nurse called, I loved hearing my last name attached with her name. We walked down the hallway to the exam room. I had to be the strong one because if something has happened, she is going to fall to pieces. I had to mentally prepare myself to be ok with the worst news possible.

                The doctor walks into the room and acknowledges us both, then begins to fill out her exam chart. He pulls over a sonogram machine next to the exam table.

"This is going to be cold." He says to her. He drops a large portion of clear gel onto her stomach that is swollen just enough to notice. He doesn't say anything to us. He keeps moving it from side to side and up and down, never looking at us.

                I almost wish he wasn't looking at us now because the look on his face is telling us there is news. But his reaction isn't giving us any hint as to what he is about to say.

 "Dr. Craddock" Melissa finally speaks. "I don't know how much bad news I can handle so please don't look at me like that... I need you to be straight with me. Just tell me." I take her hand into mine. We have been through this time and time again. We knew what it felt like to be handed bad news.

He looks back at the monitor. "There." He says as he turns up the volume on the monitor. "Two heartbeats."

"Does that mean the baby has a heart murmur because I had that when I was born?" She asked.

"No, it doesn't mean the baby has a murmur....  Congratulations its twins!" the doctor confirmed. "And they are both doing fine. Healthy in fact. I think that you can count your blessings with this pregnancy. Congratulations."

 "Twins." I say as a statement and not a question. "Twins."

                Who would have thought we could have twins. We couldn't even have one, now we are going to have two.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story