My alarm goes off. It’s six am, August 8, 2002. It’s Josh’s 26th birthday. I had a little bag packed. I had it out in my car. Josh didn’t know what I had planned to tell him today. He was essential to my life. He meant so much to me, I loved him like I’ve never loved anyone. He just understood me.
   
I climbed out of my bed and put on my shoes. I got into my car and went to Josh’s house. I let myself in and snuck up to his room. I stood in the doorway for a moment. He was so peaceful looking. I climbed slowly and carefully into his bed. I put my arms around him and listened to him breathing. After a little while, I put my mouth near his ear.
   
“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, sexy Josh, happy birthday to you.” I sing softly into his ear. Josh stirs and opens his eyes. He looks over at me. He looks at the clock.
   
“Melody! It’s not even seven in the morning yet!!”
   
“Well, I woke up to a whole room of men on my birthday, at least I didn’t bring a bunch of other women with me. You only got me. Besides, I couldn’t wait. I wanted to tell you what I’ve been thinking about.” I said. Josh sits up.
   
“I want to move in with you. I love you. I’m ready for the next step of a relationship with you. I want to be close to you. I can’t even imagine my life without you in it anymore.”
   
“What? Mel, we don’t have to live together. We could be just as happy with the way we are now.”
   
I feel my face fall.
   
“But, Josh, I’m ready for the next step. I want to be near you. You complete me. I love you with all my heart.”  Josh yawns.
   
“I hate to disappoint you, but could we talk about this later?” he asks.
   
“Fine. Later.” I say. Josh lies back down. I lie next to him, facing the other way. Josh sets his alarm for nine. We both started to doze off. In my last moment of consciousness, I heard him murmur something. Or was I already asleep, and I dreamed it?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime daddyjc abusiveex boyfriendjc celebritysync postsync epicfic