“Josh!” I cried out, sitting bolt upright in bed my bed. A minute later, Josh ran into my room.
   
“Again?” he asked, one eyebrow cocked.
   
“Yes.” I answer back. He gets on the bed next to me and puts his arms around me.
   
“Honey, I hate to mention this, but this has been going on for more than a month. Maybe we should see a doctor.” he looked into my eyes. I was going to fight him, but the pleading look in his eyes stopped me.
   
“Alright. I give in. I’ll go see a doctor about this. Even though we both suspect why I’m like this.”
   
“We may know why, but the doctor might be able to help us stop it.” Josh said. He stayed with me until I fell asleep.
   
A few days later, I’m sitting at the doctor’s office. Josh is sitting next to me, reading a book he brought. The doctor calls my name and I follow him into a room with a normal couch, a few armchairs and a desk. He introduces himself as Dr. Nuttz. He takes a seat in an armchair and I sit on the couch.
   
“So what seems to be the problem, Miss Beam?” he asks, getting straight to the point.
   
“Well, I wake up in the middle of the night, calling out for my boyfriend. I moved into his house a month and a half ago. We have separate bedrooms though.” I say.
   
“What do you feel that makes you call out to him like that?” he asks me.
   
“I feel scared. Maybe a bit frightened, or maybe even a bit of shame. I mean, I’m 22 years old, and I’m four months pregnant, and I can’t sleep through one night without calling for my boyfriend.” I say.
   
“I see. Is there any reason you feel these feelings?” he asks me.
   
“I’m afraid that Josh won’t be there one of these times, that I’ll be all alone with child, and it frightens me.”
   
“Uh huh. Is there any reason why you’d be afraid that he’d leave you?” the doctor asks.
   
“Well, we seem to think it’s because the only other boyfriend I have ever had in my life was killed in an accident when we were 18. But why would these feelings be coming back now?” I ask. Dr. Nuttz looks up at me from the notes he’s been writing.
   
“I think that you may be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. You were a young woman when the only boy you ever cared for died suddenly. Now, you’re close to another man, and although you may not realize it, your feelings for your late boyfriend are still there, and they are acting as a self-preserver. Your heart doesn’t want to get involved with anyone because that means heartbreak. At least, that’s how experience has it. Normally, the treatment we use for PTSD is medication. Since we don’t want to harm your unborn child, I recommend therapy without the meds.”
   
I thanked Dr. Nuttz and went out to the receptionist. I made an appointment for the following week. Dr. Nuttz recommended for Josh to come to the next appointment. As Josh and I left, I told him what the doctor said.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime daddyjc abusiveex boyfriendjc celebritysync postsync epicfic