When Josh and I got home, Mom came over with Arabella and Amanda. Arabella seemed to have grown so much in the past two weeks.
   
“Did you guys have a nice time?” Mom asked as I unpacked my suitcase. I smiled to myself, thinking of the memories.
   
“Yes Mom, we had a great time. It was very relaxing.” I said. Mom looked at me.
   
“I can’t believe that my little girl is married. Your father would have been proud of you.” she said with tears in her eyes. I looked at her.
   
“Mom, I’m sure he was. Just like he’s proud of Jack and Cindy adopting Ethan.” I said. Ethan’s adoption was finalized the week before. I hadn’t seen him yet, but I had a feeling that I already knew what he looked like.
   
“Oh Melody, you’ll love Ethan! He’s such a cutie. He looked familiar to me though for some reason.” Mom pulled out a picture and showed it to me. I looked at the toddler in the picture and sucked in a breath.
   
“I know why he looks familiar, Mom.” I said. I went over to my mirror and pulled down a picture. I handed the pictures to Mom. She looked from one to the other.
   
“Oh my. Oh my! How long have you known this?” she looked up at me.
   
“I had a feeling about it ever since Jack told me that they were adopting. Cassie knows nothing about it yet. I didn’t say anything about it until I was sure about it. Now I’m sure.” I started to laugh. My new nephew was my best friend’s unwanted child. Mom and I talked until Bella told us she was hungry. Mom left, probably to go over to Jack’s and talk to him.
   
Josh came out of the bathroom with his hair still wet.
   
“I feel much better. There’s nothing like taking a shower at home.” he said. He came over and kissed my forehead, hitting me in the face with wet hair.
   
“Eeewww! Back up!” I said, pushing him away.
   
Josh backed up and pouted. Then he picked up Bella and snuggled her.
   
“Mommy doesn’t like getting her face wet. Looks like it’s just the two of us.” he said, and started to dance around with her and sing. By the time he finished singing the song, she was asleep.
   
“She’s her daddy’s girl.” I said when Josh came back from putting her in her crib. Josh sat down next to me on the couch. He wrapped his arms around me and placed his chin on top of my head, keeping his wet hair out of my face.
   
“Do you realize that it’s been almost eight months since you proposed to me here?” I ask him.
   
“Mmm. I feel the same way for you now as I did that night.” he said.

*    *    *
   
“I’ll be in the studio if you need me.” Josh says before his head disappears into the studio. I look at the clock. It was almost dinnertime. I knew that he’d be locked in there for hours before he came out, and I wasn’t going to bother him for something as trivial as dinner. I sat at the kitchen table and ate dinner by myself. By the time Josh finished, I was asleep in bed.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime daddyjc abusiveex boyfriendjc celebritysync postsync epicfic