“Mom’s happy to take Bella for New Year’s Eve.” I told Josh a few days later. Josh nodded while he talked into his phone. Arabella looked up at me from her playpen and smiled. Her one tooth shone in the light. It had just cut loose the day before. I couldn’t believe how big she was getting. At eight months old, she looked nothing like the newborn I had birthed in April. It was amazing to think of how much one year could change your life. The doorbell rang, interrupting my thoughts. I went and answered it to find Cassie and Lance standing there.
   
“Where were you on Christmas? I didn’t see either one of you!” I said, letting them in.
   
“I went home, and I brought Cassie with me.” Lance said.
   
“Is Jc home?” Cassie asked me.
   
“Yeah, but he’s on the phone, something to do about his album. He won’t even tell me what he titled it. Do you know, Lance?” I asked. Lance shook his head no.
   
“We just stopped by to tell you what’s been going on. I told him what happened.” Cassie started.
   
“Well, that’s good.” I said, getting comfortable in the chair across from them.
   
“Also, It must be some miracle, and it probably sounds horrible to say that, but I lost the baby. I’m so grateful for that. I can’t imagine bringing another baby into this world like I did the last time.” she said.
   
“Well, I don’t know if I should be happy for you, or sad that the baby doesn’t get a chance to live.” I said. I got up and went over and hugged Cassie. I started to laugh while I was hugging her.
   
“What?” she asked me. I broke the embrace and sat back down in my chair.
   
“Well, how do you feel about your son, if you don’t mind my asking?”
   
“Why?” she asked.
   
“Because I know he got a good home and is growing up comfortably.” I said.
   
“How do you know that?” Lance asked.
   
“Aw, come on. Lance, you didn’t pick up on it? I thought you could pick up on these types of things.” I said, joking. I dug out a picture of Ethan and handed it to Lance.
   
“Oh. My. God.” He muttered. He handed the picture to Cassie. She looked at it. Her eyes got wide.
   
“How did you get this picture?” she asked, recognizing Ethan.
   
“I took it. That’s Ethan Beam, Arabella’s adopted cousin.” I said. The picture was of Ethan and Bella next to each other on the couch, taken a few months ago. Cassie looked up at me.
   
“You mean?” she started.
   
“Yes. My brother is the one that adopted your son. Kind of ironic isn’t it? I mean, he’s the one that delivered him, and now he adopted him.” I said.
   
Just then, Josh came wandering in.
   
“What Up? “ he asked us.
   
“Do you know who your adopted nephew is?” Cassie asked him.
   
“Yeah. They named him Ethan.” he said. I pushed him.
   
“You do too know who he is.” I said. Josh looked at me.
   
“Oh you mean the part where he’s your biological son and Jack was the one that was there and delivered him and then adopted him?” he asked.
   
“Hon, you are such a dork.” I said.
   
“Well, it takes one to know one.” he retorted.
   
“What was that all about?” I asked him.
   
“Well, we finally have agreed on a release date for my album, that’s all. They drive me nuts sometimes.” he said.
   
“I know the feeling. So when is the big day?” I asked.
   
“Late February, apparently.” Josh said.
   
Cassie and Lance stayed for a little while, and we talked about a lot of things. I was happy to find out that Cassie was going to the big party as Lance’s date. It meant I would have someone to hang out with and have fun if I got tired of dancing.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime daddyjc abusiveex boyfriendjc celebritysync postsync epicfic