My hand was shaking as I put my earrings in. I was having trouble believing the news I had just received a short while a go over the phone.
   
“Melody! Let’s go!” Josh called up to me. We were ready to leave for the release party for Melodies. Josh and I had decided to bring Arabella with us. As I headed down the stairs, my mind wandered back to when I first met Josh. He had bumped into me in the pet store almost two years ago. I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to have met him. The past two years have been the best of my life. The love that Josh and I have developed for each other grows and gets stronger everyday. The biggest evidence of our love for each other was Arabella. It won’t be long before she’s walking. She’s already pulling herself up with the aid of anything around her, and lately she’s been inching her way around her crib rail.
   
We arrive at the party, and for many of our professional friends, it’s their first time meeting Arabella. Josh and I keep close to her, but let her be passed around from one friend to another. When Lance had taken her, Josh and I took a breather. The DJ starts “Love” and Lance brings her back to us and went off to find Cassie.
   
“I still can’t believe the two of them are engaged.” I said. Josh nodded in agreement. Cassie and Lance had decided to get married in the fall, date still unknown. I put Bella down between us and let her bounce on her feet. I sat there and watched her. Bella had a very good rhythm, she could bounce to the beat. When the song changed, Bella kept up with the beat.
   
“Josh, watch Bella. She’s bouncing to the beat.” I said. Josh watched her for a minute.
   
“She’s so beautiful.” he said. I nodded. I was gathering up my courage to tell him what I knew I needed to. Britney came by.
   
“Melody. I think you did a great job on your last album. I love the video you made to your last single.” she said.
   
I thanked her and we chatted for a few minutes before I excused myself to go to the restroom. I stood in the mirror and gave myself a pep talk.
   
When I came back out, Josh and Bella were over at the food table. I started to head towards them, and I saw Cassie and Lance making out on the dance floor. I chuckled to myself, thinking of what an odd pair they were. I turned and headed back to the table where I knew Josh was going to return to. I thought back to when I first started out in this business. I thought of everything that had happened since then. I didn’t realize it then, but the title of my first album really summed up my entire life.
   
Each person’s life is like a music score, and you’re only the conductor of your own score. Everyone you meet and interact with in your life are the true composers of the music. They place the notes where they either are harmonic or dissonant. But in the end, not one note is more important than the others. They all work together to make the music of life whole. Life is one big melody.
   
Josh sat down next to me and fed Arabella, interrupting my train of thoughts. I knew I had to tell him. He’s my conductor’s wand. I couldn’t conduct my life’s music without him.
   
“Honey?” I say softly.
   
“Hmm? What?” he said, turning his attention off of Arabella and onto me. I smile, thinking of how beautiful she is. I know that what I have to say is going to place a new note in all of our scores. I take a deep breath and look into Josh’s piecing blue eyes.

“I’m pregnant.”

 


Completed
Dawn Dustings is the author of 24 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked The Melody of Life also liked 11 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Rhythm of Life. The next story in the series is Melody's Harmony.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime daddyjc abusiveex boyfriendjc celebritysync postsync epicfic