*Two weeks later, April 30th

 It was only Monday and already her plate was full for the week. When she arrived back to work on Monday there was a huge pile of mail on her desk. She was constantly busy with all the press kits she kept receiving. In reality it wasn't hard to weed out the good from the bad, and the amazing from the good. 

 And this Tyler kid she was working on? Oh he was really good. Played his own guitar, played piano, had the most amazing voice, not to mention he wasn't bad on the eyes. Oh yes, he was a record labels dream. If only she could find a hook for him. That wasn't her job, but she needed to be able to sell him to the label before she could even talk to him about possibly coming for an audition.

 It didn't seem like she would get the chance at the moment because as soon as she pulled up his file on her computer, there was a knock on her door. "Come in."

 She was surprised to see Mr. Williams standing there.

 "Hey Mr. Williams. What can I do for you? Please, sit down." She motioned to her couch.

 "Thanks. I have a proposition for you."

 "And what's that?" she asked, closing the windows on her computer. "Are you working on anyone right now, Alexis?"

 She nodded at him. "Yes, I'm working on this guy Tyler. I need a bit more time with his information and stuff before I give you guys the presentation.... He's an amazing..."

 "Stop right there. Who in this department could do the best job on it?" he asked, taking a magazine from the coffee table. She shrugged. "I don't know. I'd have to run it by each of them and see what they think. If I had to say right now, probably Tate. This guy is right up her ally. Why?"

 He sighed before continuing. "Alexis, how would you feel if we started pushing you more as a tour manager?" Her eyes widened. "Why would you want to do that?"

 "We feel that you would be excellent at it. Being that you are an assistant on the Nsync tour, it would kind of be like a trial period. See how you do with it." He cleared his throat. "In particular, Johnny thinks you'd be amazing for it."

 He noticed the deer-in-the-headlights look on her face and chuckled. "We know you rock at A&R, but there's a lot of potential for you here."

 Allie swallowed. "I uh...don't know what to say.  I guess that me going on tour with the guys will be a good trial run. I mean, being a road manager is definitely something I had an interest in doing, the A&R thing just happened first."

 "Great! Meet with Tate about passing this Tyler guy on to her, talk to her about your vision for him and give her the necessary contact info for all the people in his team, I have no doubt that she'll do this.  The single is being sent to radio as we speak and is set to premier around the country tomorrow. They'll be doing an interview on TRL on Wednesday, and are set to do a radio interview in the morning on Z100 Thursday, and an afternoon interview with KISS FM in Chicago on the same day. Friday it's back up to New York for their first live performance on Good Morning America and then it's back out here for the taping of the MTV movie awards."

 Allie was frantically writing this all down, fully forgetting that this schedule would be given to her in the meeting she had scheduled with Johnny this afternoon.

 "They're not performing right?"

 He shook his head. "No, we weren't sure of the singles release date when MTV asked us to do a performance for them." She nodded to say she understood.

 He could tell she was getting overwhelmed.  "Alexis, we wouldn't throw you in the middle of this crazy media storm if we didn't think you could handle it."

 "I realize that. Do I have to be with them during these appearances and what not?"

 He stood up. "Well, normally no. However, Johnny can't be with them. He's got something back in Orlando to attend to with one of his other artists and he's flying back tonight. Can you fly out tomorrow with them to New York?"

 Her jaw almost hit the floor.

 Fly...on a plane...with the boys...across the country.  "Of course! I'll see if I can get together with Tate tonight to discuss my project with her."

 Her computer flashed a reminder up at her. ‘Meeting with Tyler in 10 minutes.' Crap! I haven't even gotten his papers together. And I need to call Tate to see if she can sit in on this lunch with me.

 "I really hate to cut you off Mr. Williams but I've actually got a lunch meeting with Tyler, the artist I was telling you about. I have to meet him in 10 minutes. Is it possible I can give you a buzz when I get back from lunch before my meeting with Johnny?"

 "Yes of course! I don't know where my head went. Johnny was supposed to talk to you about all this later anyways. I just wanted to give you a heads up. I'll speak with you later!" He rose from the couch and went to the door. "Have a good lunch, Alexis!" he stated on his way out.

 Immediately after, Tate walked in.

 "Ahh, just the girlie I was about to call. Would you maybe go to lunch with me?  I have to meet with Tyler but I kind of have a few things to run by the both of you. I've got BIG news!"

 Tate raised an eyebrow. "Sure thing--lemme get my purse and we can head out."

 

*in the car*

 "So let me get this straight..." Tate started as she began to put her short hair up into a loose ponytail. "Road manager? Jeez, what am I doing wrong?"

 Allie laughed. "Seriously, I don't even know what they're thinking. I understood it for the purpose of the Nsync tour because of how huge it was going to be. But as a full time thing?? I was floored when he asked me. Which is why I need to ask you something??"

 Tate flipped her sunglasses down on her nose as Allie put the top down on her Solstice and pulled out onto the street from the parking garage. "You know you're racking up your IOU's over here."

 "Don't I know it. You remember Tyler right?" Tate nodded. "Well, I think he might be right up your alley to maybe take over from me?"

 "You've got to be kidding me?!"

 "Don't snap at me. Go talk to Williams about that shit. He was the one who told me I needed to hand my projects off to you guys. Tyler won't take much work. He's a packaged deal already. You'll see. And plus I trust you. I know you'll be able to take him where I want it to go.  And since I trust you, he will too."

 Tate sighed. "I was just messing. So I'm guessing that we're going to meet him?"

 "Sure are. Baja Fresh?" She grabbed at a stray piece of hair that whipped her in the face. 

 "You know I'm always game to go there. So you're jetting across the country, with 5 of the hottest guys in music. How's it feel???" Tate asked.

 "Honestly, I haven't had much time to wrap my brain around that." She looked over her shoulder to get into the right turn lane to grab a parking spot on the street. "I have so much to do between now and tomorrow morning.  I don't even know where to start. What are you doing tonight? Think you could come and help me??"

 Tate looked the other way. "Yes or no?" Still no response. "Tate...what's up?"

 "I...can't."

 "Why not? It's a Monday. You never do anything on Monday's but catch up on shows you missed over the weekend." Allie laughed a little.

 "I know...but I can't. Just trust me on this."

 "You know I'm not going to take that answer." Allie shut off the car and took off her seatbelt to square herself to Tate. Tate huffed. "Ok fine. I kind of have a date." Allie's eyes widened as she looked to make sure no one was coming down the street before she opened up her door. "With who????"

 "Uhh...he's got green eyes?"

 Grabbing her purse from behind her chair she pushed her glasses up on top of her head and glared across the car at her friend. "No freaking way!!!" Allie shrieked.

 "I'm not kidding. And I wanted to tell you earlier but he said not to. He wanted to evade the teasing that you'd most likely inflict on him when you guys were together. Just don't say anything to him until I give you the go ahead?"

 "Of course. Oh man...this could make for some interesting office gossip though."

 "Allie you wouldn't! That'd be so mean."

 Allie pulled open the door to Baja Fresh and walked inside, scanning around for her undiscovered superstar. He was in a corner booth with papers strewn out in front of him and a scowl on his face. He didn't look to be in a good mood. Great, this is going to go over well.

 "As interesting as this conversation is, we must go meet a soon to be popstar over there. We'll continue this later. C'mon!" Allie grabbed Tates' hand and pulled her over to the table. Just as they walked up Tyler raised his head and grinned brightly. Or maybe he's not in a bad mood. "Hey sweetheart!" He stood and hugged Allie tightly.

 "Hey babe." She kissed his cheek. "I brought a co-worker along...well my friend Tate. She's in the A&R at Jive too."

 "Hey! Great to meet you." He leaned across the table to hug her as well.

"Likewise." Tate whispered. "You order yet?"

 "Nah. I thought I'd be nice and wait on you. Know what you want?" They both nodded. "Alright, let's go order so we can get down to business..."

 "...so you're pawning me off???" Tyler's eyebrows rose up.

 "Tyler, I'm not pawning you off. I'd love to be the one to get you signed with Jive; however with the job that I've been given right now, it wouldn't be fair to you at all. I wouldn't have enough time to focus on you as much as you need to be. I'll still be around to call and what not if Tate has questions..." Allie directed her gaze to Tate who hadn't' been saying much, and Tate looked up and smiled. "...but Tate's awesome. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think she could handle it. Trust me--she'll take care of you."

 "Sure will. Tyler I promise there isn't anything to worry about. You are what we call a label's dream. There isn't much we have to say to sell you to them, you sell yourself on your own."

 "Is that a blush??" Allie cracked as she saw the color rise on Tyler's cheeks. "No." He put his cheeks in his hands to hide it.

 "So, are you cool with this babe?" He nodded at her. "Of course. I trust you Allie. I know you know what you're doing. That was never a question for me.  You will come celebrate with me when I get signed though right??"

 Both Allie and Tate laughed. "Counting your chickens before they hatch, eh?" Tate asked. "No, just confident. It's good to be that anyways right?"

 "Tyler, that wasn't confident, that was cocky!"

 "Hey!" He picked up a chip that had fallen on the table and threw it playfully at Allie for her remark. They were all laughing. "I kid, I kid." She joked. "But you are right babe; it's good to be confident. That'll help you out in the long run."

 Just at that moment there was a loud commotion at the door as five very recognizable guys tried to stumble through the door all at once. "Dammit Chris! Get the hell off of me!" said the first one through the door.

 "I don't care what you say J, that old lady was looking at me like she wanted to take a chunk out of me!"A higher pitched voice answered back.

 And then a lower, very masculine voice chimed in, "well with all those pounds your packing on lately, I would too." The whole group laughed except for the one they were making fun of.

 "Hey now! Just because I have muscle" and he flexed his arms for show, "doesn't mean that I'm packing on pounds. At least I don't look like I'd break in half if someone squeezed me too tight!" He defended. 

 One of the larger bodyguards with them laughed and added "Why don't you come here and I'll try to break you in half." The group continued to laugh as Chris ran from the much larger bodyguard, Mike.

 Upon the commotion, Allie, Tyler and Tate had stopped their conversation to look at what was causing it. "Can they go ANYWHERE without making a scene??" Allie laughed before sliding out to toss her garbage away. "No, and for some reason, I don't think it bothers them either that they attract the attention, although it just shows what fans are REALLY screaming for." Tate added.

 Tyler just looked between the group who was making its way to the ordering counter and the two girls who were more than entranced with the group of men who had just walked in. "And are YOU fans?" Tyler asked.

 "Us???" Allie asked, wiping her hand on a napkin before throwing it in the trash. "I was way back in the day. You know--when having curls was cool and that having a hobby such as ‘sleeping' was the thing to do." She laughed. She knew who was right behind her so she had to get a few digs in. It was their thing to make fun of each other. She had smelled both Justin and JC walk up behind her before she saw them, they had a distinct smell of...dance studio...on them.

 She turned around quickly to spot Justin before he smashed a tortilla chip in her hair.

 "Hey boys. I didn't notice you come in!  What with all the ruckus and loud noises you made. You just love making an entrance don't you?"

 "Only way to do it!" Joey chimed in, kissing Allie on her cheek. "Yes well, I have GREAT news for you. I'm joining you boys on your little promo tour this week. Johnny had to fly back to Orlando and wants me to go in his place. Do me a favour, make it easy on me. Please?"

 "No way! Johnny put you with us? He must be getting careless in his old age if he put you with us. You'll just help us wreak havoc wherever we go." JC interjected.

 "I'm offended by that! I know when to do my job and when it's playtime. It's just a little of both this week, huh? I think I can handle that."

 "You do know who you're going on this trip with right?" Tate asked, making eyes at Lance as she said it. "These guys are all about having fun; no work is serious around them." She continued. Lance winked at her when no one was looking and she swooned. 

 "You'll be fine, I'm sure. I'll take care of you." Justin smiled, sliding up next to her. Tate looked back and forth between the two of them and grinned at the redness in Allie's cheeks.

 "Ok guys, I'd love to stay and chat and ignore my duties for the rest of the day, but I've got a meeting with your manager in a bit. I'll see you all early tomorrow morning. Guys-don't be late!"

 They all said their goodbyes and Tyler, Tate, and Allie walked out the door.

 "Now remember Tyler, you can call me at any time if you need something, but I'm sure that Tate will take great care of you! Take care sweetie!" Allie hugged him tightly and said good bye and watched him walk to his Honda.

 "He's going to make little girls hearts pity-pat all over the world in a few months." Tate stated. "Don't I know it." Allie agreed, flipping her sunglasses down onto her nose.

 

*********

Allie surveyed the piles of clothes she had all over her bed and the mess of clothes that was strewn about the floor and tossed Tate a stressed look. "OH MY GOD! I'm packing for like...a month here! And I'll only be gone for a few days. What don't I need?"

 Tate just laughed and picked up a black leather corset and held it up to her. "This is cute...you should wear it out one night...but...you're working here Allie, not going clubbing with them. You have to look at least semi-professional. As hot as this leather thing is, and as much as I think that it'd get J's attention, I don't think you'll need it." They both laughed as Tate tossed the corset into the discard pile, which wasn't getting any bigger.

 "Tate, thank you so much for coming over here so late, even though I know you'll be tired as all get out tomorrow at work. And I should probably thank you for taking Tyler on. If you need any help or whatever, just make the blackberry buzz." She tossed a stray hair behind her ear and walked into the closet to drag out her suitcase.

 Tate smiled. "So, I'm probably going to kick myself later for even bringing it up, but aren't you curious about what Lance and I did tonight? Or even have any questions for me? I know that inquisitive mind of yours probably went into overdrive when I spilled the gossip to you earlier."

 "You know me too well already, that's scary." Allie called out from the closet, emerging a few seconds later with her black suitcase. "But I'm saving most of the questions for Lance when I can get him around all the other guys and make him blush. I just have two. The first one," she started as she lugged it up onto the bed, "is how long has it been going on? And the second is he as good of a kisser as I think he is?" Allie began stuffing tanks and underwear into the suitcase and glanced up just in time to see Tate's face redden.

 "If you must know, it's only been going on for a few weeks, and the second is that he's an ok kisser." Tate cast her eyes downward to avoid Allie's intruding gaze.

 "BULLSHIT." Allie called her bluff.

 "Ok. You're right. Oh my god, he's amazing. He makes my toes curl up, that's how good he is." Tate gushed as she fell back onto a pile of Allie's jeans.

 "Yeah, I thought so. I haven't had the pleasure with Justin yet. Not sure I'll ever be able to now with my new job and all."

 Tates' eyebrow raised in question. "Do you really think that'll stop TimberFro? If he wants you girl, he will have you, regardless of what position you hold." For effect Tate winked and Allie snickered.

 "Oh, you are bad." She threw a pair of rolled up socks at Tate. "You're not helping me here. Run down a list in your head of stuff, just to make sure I have it all."

 As Tate recited everything that Allie would need and Allie checked her bag to make sure it was all accounted for, her phone began to buzz on the nightstand next to the window. She checked her watch. "Who on EARTH is calling me at 12:30?" She walked over and looked at the caller ID to see who it was and her breath caught in her throat.

 It was Brad. She hadn't talked to him in weeks. Swore she wouldn't after he broke her down to tears the last time with his begging and pleading and then finally making fun of her for thinking she could do it on her own out here. That was before she had been offered the position with NSync on the tour. She wasn't sure if she wanted to tell him what she would be doing now, for fear of him making fun of her again. She just didn't want the stress right now, nevertheless, she picked up.

 "Brad! Hi!"

 "Allieeeee...I misssss euuuuuwwww"

 Obviously drunk, she thought. "Brad, I really don't have time for this right now. I'm packing."

 "Are youuuu packing to come hommeee??"

 "No. I'm going on a promotional tour with a group for a few days."

 "Ohhh...hey...I still love you Al. Hope I didn't ‘set you the otter night wit what I said."

 "You did, but it's been forgotten and I've moved on. Have a good night Brad. Please drive careful." And with that she hung up.

 "Oh my GOD I hate ex boyfriends!" She yelled. Tate had only been sitting there, silently putting clothes into Allie's suitcase.

 "Drunk?" Allie nodded and threw the phone onto the blue chair next to her window.

"He ‘still loves me'. GOD! What a way to put me in a bad mood."

 Tate walked around to her friend and hugged her gently. "Don't let it bother you. He's an idiot. If he loved you at all he wouldn't have said the things he said to you a few weeks ago and he would support you in this, not try to tear you down. You don't need someone like that in your life."

 "You know what, you're completely right. Screw him. This is a great opportunity! I'm going to have a good time these next couple days."

 "Damn right you are. You think you're ok over here? Or do you need me still?"

 Allie shrugged. "No, I think I'm ok. I'll call you tomorrow when we get into JFK." Allie stated as the two made their way down the steps. When they reached the bottom they were greeted by Allie's two Yorkies, Bella and Tonka.

 "Hi Guys!" Tate laughed as they barked up at the two. "You need someone to take care of them while you're gone?" Tate asked. "I COMPLETELY forgot. Could you?"

 Tate laughed loudly and the dogs barked more. "Keep on racking up the points over here."

 "Yes, I know I owe you HUGE! Let me grab you the spare keys. Dog foods out in the garage, along with their cages if you feel the need to take them back to your place."

 "Shouldn't be a problem. It's not like we live far from each other. You finish packing and get some sleep, if I have any questions about it, I'll give you a call tomorrow." Tate said as they walked to the front door.

 "Ok! Tate seriously, you are amazing. I'm so glad that I met you. I'll keep you posted on what all is going on!" Allie opened the door, putting her foot in the way to keep the puppies at bay.

 "Sounds great! Have a good trip girl!" Tate turned and smiled at her friend before making her way down the pathway to her Audi. When Allie closed the door, she turned and rested her back against it. What on EARTH was she getting herself into?

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think so far!

 Thanks for reading! <3

 ~LT



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story