Story Notes:

Melody, Josh

 

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, dear Melody, happy birthday to you."
   
A chocolate cupcake was placed in front of me. On my lap, Arabella reached out and stuck her finger into the icing. She then licks her finger and promptly sticks it up her nose. Mom takes her from my lap and I close my eyes and make a wish. I open my eyes and blow out the candle. Josh leans in and kisses my cheek.
   
"I love you." he whispers into my ear.
   
"And I you." I take the paper off the cupcake and take a bite.
   
"Mmm. Thanks Mom. This is awesome." Mom was letting 15-month-old Arabella smash hers with her fingers. Just then the baby decides to kick.
   
"Uuh. I can't wait for this one to be out. She's so active." With one month left to go, I was huge, my feet were swollen, my back hurt and I wanted to feel normal again.
   
"Next time remind me to get pregnant in the summer. That way I won't be fat and ugly for my birthday."
   
Josh put down his cupcake.
   
"You are not fat and ugly. You're pregnant. It's a beautiful thing. You're beautiful." We've had this conversation before.
   
"You're only saying that because you married me."
   
"I married you because I love you, and I say all this because it's true." Josh looked at Mom and shook his head. The phone rang and Josh answered it and talked for a few moments before handing the phone to me.
   
"Hello?"
   
"How are you doing, dear? Happy birthday." Karen Chasez's voice answers.
   
"I'm doing fine, thanks."
   
"I just called to tell you that Roy and I will be in town for a few days next month. Would it be alright with you if we stopped in to say hello while we were there?"
   
"Karen, you're staying here. You can always stay here."
   
"Well, we don't want to cause you stress. I know you're due in a month."
   
"Don't be silly. You're staying here." Karen and I talked a few more minutes before hanging up.
   
That night in bed, Josh rolled over to face me.
   
"Mel?"
   
"What?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. He moved his head so that it was next to mine on the pillow.
   
"Something's bothering you. I don't know what it is, maybe it's just hormonal, but something's bothering you. What is it?"
   
"What would we do if something happens? Like if we went bankrupt and ended up on the street?" Josh put his arms around me.
   
"I've worked hard to live like this. So have you. We won't go bankrupt. We will never have to live on the street. I promise. Everything will be fine. I love you, my sweet Melody." He kisses my cheek and holds me until I fall asleep.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: anniversary love daddyjc