"Morning Melody. Happy anniversary. I love you." Josh whispers into my ear. My eyes flutter open.
   
"Happy anniversary, baby, I love you too." We lie there for a while longer before getting up. We went downstairs to get breakfast. Karen and Roy were already up. They told us good morning. I sat down with my bowl of total and chocolate chips. Karen looked at me.
   
"I crave chocolate with this one. I must be a girl." Karen smiled at me.
   
"I love that you don't want to know what it is."
   
Josh rubbed my shoulder as he sat down.
   
"We loved being surprised with Bella."
   
"Love you." I said as I leaned over to him and kissed his lips.
   
"Mmm. Bran-y chocolate." he said. I laughed.
   
"Must be better than morning breath and pop tart." Josh pretended to be wounded as he went back to his breakfast. Karen and Roy were exchanging looks with each other. Arabella wandered in holding her blankie. Karen picked her up and hugged her.
   
"Good morning, sweetie." She went ahead and got her breakfast and Roy finished his and left the room for a few moments. When he returned, he handed Josh a card. Josh opened it and read it.
   
"Thanks Dad." he said as he handed me the card. I looked down at it.
   
'On Your Anniversary' was written on the front in a fancy font. The inside told us to have a happy one, and in Karen's handwriting, it said how proud of us they were.
   
When Bella had finished breakfast, Karen asked her if she wanted to go to the zoo. Josh and I exchanged glances.
   
"Mom, you don't have to take her to the zoo. Really." Josh said.
   
"But Joshua, I want to take her. Really. I want to enjoy some time with her at this age, and before she gets a sibling and everything changes for her." Josh was going to protest, but I put my hand on his arm.
   
When Karen, Roy and Bella left, Josh looked at me.
   
"Why'd you let them take Bella?"
   
"Why were you so against the idea of her going to the zoo? Couldn't you see that your mother wanted to give us the day off from being parents, so that we could enjoy our first anniversary?" Josh took a deep breath.
   
"I don't want to fight, and I guess I didn't see that point. Forgive me?"
   
"Of course." I said as I took my bowl to the sink. Josh came up behind me.
   
"I love you." he said softly into my ear. I felt something move near my neck. Josh had put a beautiful diamond necklace around my neck. It had three diamonds, one for the past, one for the present and one for the future. I turned around and kissed him. I gave him the present I got him. We spent the rest of the day cuddling on the couch watching movies, and we even tried to eat the piece of wedding cake that had been in the freezer. It was gross. It was all dry and crumbly. It tasted much better last year.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: anniversary love daddyjc