I open my eyes and place my hands on my expanded abdomen. I roll over to face Josh. It's hard to believe that today he turns 28. I've known him since a few months before he turned 26, and here we were two years later, and we've been married for a year, have a fifteen month old and another baby on the way in a few weeks.
Josh is sleeping with his mouth slightly open and softly snoring, his hair splayed across the pillow, as much as it could for the length it was.

I lean over and kiss him on the cheek. I get out of bed as quietly as I can and go downstairs and start breakfast. When I finish it, I head upstairs with it on a tray. I place the tray down. I quietly bend over and kiss the top of his head.
   
"Wake up honey." I softly say to him. His eyes flutter open and he looks up at me. He smiles. I give him the breakfast tray. He takes a bite and says it's delicious.
   
About halfway through, Arabella comes toddling in. We give her breakfast and she hands Josh the present we made of her "singing" on a CD. Josh puts the disk into the player and we sat there listening to her "singing".
   
Soon though, his cell was ringing. It was Justin and Chris three-waying to wish him a happy birthday. Then Joey, then Lance, and then his mother. TJ called, Heather called. My mother and Jack had even called to wish him a happy birthday. I sat there and thought how amazing it is that everyone calls and gathers on such days.
   
I had ordered a cake at the local Dairy Queen, and we enjoyed it after lunch since it was such a hot day. It was too hot to cook, so we ordered some Chinese food and enjoyed it in the backyard. Then the three of us went for a drive, ending up at the beach.
   
Josh and I walked together in the lapping waves while Arabella toddled in front of us. When we reached one end of the beach, we turned around and walked the other way, watching the sunset. Josh and I held hands as the surf washed up over our bare feet. Arabella was playing in the sand so we stood in one place for a while, slowly being buried in the sand as the waves washed it over our feet. It wasn't too long before she got bored with the sand and pebbles she was playing with and walked over to us. Josh picked her up and we walked a little while with her before she saw a seashell and Josh put her down, where she walked with us.
   
As the sunset, I felt a pang in my abdomen and a sensation that I had felt once before in my life. I turned and looked at Josh.

"My water just broke."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: anniversary love daddyjc