Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry that this chapter took absolutely forever to update!!! We were working more on Sexual Suicide it seems. Enjoy this chapter and hopefully it doesn't take as long next time. This chapter is a long one 20 pages in length.

Divorce is a Bitter Pill to Swallow-Chapter 5

As the polished pitch-black SUV came to a screeching halt in front of its destination, Darnell immediately shifted the gear into park and exited. She yanked open the rear door and began freeing Jordin from her car seat. Kori, who had been forced to sit in the middle after losing a bet to Michal, made quick work of unbuckling her seatbelt. Michal followed suit.

“Mommy, Jordin and Mikey were squishing me back here.”

“Look now…” Darnell sighed as she lifted Jordin from her car seat, and then lowered her to the ground. “Somebody has to take the middle seat because all of you are too small to sit up front.”

“But do I have to sit in the middle for two…whole…weeks?” Kori exhaled noisily and the air in her plump cheeks deflated as she dragged out each word with a whine.

“Who said you had to…Jordin get your butt back over here!” Darnell turned around just as Jordin dropped to her knees and began eagerly snatching clumps of grass from the ground. She shoved the crushed greenery against her doll’s mouth.

Remembering that only her mother cared about that trivial stuff, Darnell didn’t bother to warn her about the dirt stains now on her pretty dress. She turned back to Kori.

“Now what were you saying Kori? Oh hand me Jordin’s toy bag, you know she’ll have a fit if it doesn’t go everywhere with her.”

“I betted Mikey and I loss.” She pouted while struggling to hand over the bursting bag that appeared to occupy every toddler toy made this year.

“Bet her for what?”

“I betted her that you would be back home this week and Mikey said nuh uh cause you and daddy were getting a divorce and I said nuh uh and she said-” Darnell held up her hand, halting Kori’s explanation. Then she attempted to wrap her mind around the fact that her young daughters were so privy to their parent’s relationship.

Kori continued while Darnell drifted into a trance, “And she said-”

“Hold up pause.”

“She said uh huh.” Kori added quickly much to the dismay of her mother who narrowed her eyes at her.

“Who told you we were getting a divorce? Wait who told you what divorce meant?” Kori’s gaze swiveled in her older sister’s direction.

“Mikey, how the he-wait I have to sit down for this.” Darnell once again yanked open the car door before slipping into the driver seat. She didn’t waste any time focusing her glare on her oldest daughter, Ms. Know everything because I never mind my business.

“Who told you we were getting a divorce Mikey?”

“I heard-”

“Figures, I thought daddy told you to stop eavesdropping.”

“This was before he told me.” Darnell rolled her eyes at that. “And you and Auntie Darrien were talking next to me so I-“

“So you eavesdropped.” Darnell sighed, resting her chin against the headrest, “Did you tell your father what you heard too?”

“Uh...” She paused a minute to think about it and then she nodded vigorously, “Yup I did. Daddy said I had to tell him what I heard if it was important.”

“I bet he did.” Darnell groaned, “Well, could you not tell him whatever I know you heard me tell your aunt this morning. Let mommy tell him okay?”

“Okay.”

“So no divorce Mommy?” Kori, who was still stuck on the subject, jumped into the conversation again.

“No divorce.” Darnell frowned and then felt that she should clarify, “Daddy and I are just, we’re just-” Okay so there wasn’t an easy way to explain the subject of divorce to a seven and nine year old.

“What did Daddy do?” Kori questioned and Darnell asked her what she meant. Michal offered to enlighten her.

“Grandma Victoria said that girls are smarter than boys and the boy is always wrong.”

“Ha! I doubt she was talking about your father when she said that. She’s on his side actually.” Darnell added with a mumble.

“But let’s get out of the car. Mommy has to go.” Darnell stretched her legs once she exited the car. Kori exited and went to entertain Jordin. When Michal exited, she called her over. “Stop telling your sister everything, she’s too young to know as much as you unfortunately do, okay?”

“Okay but she still has to sit in the middle for two weeks because she lost the bet.” Michal smirked before walking off to join her sisters.

“That girl is too damn grown.”

“Hey Dee.” She whirled around with her fist balled when she felt a kiss on her cheek.

“Wow, girl you’re looking good these days! Finally let go of the old Dee, huh?”

“Drew! You scared the shit out of me!” She relaxed a little but her heart still raced, “What are you doing here on a Saturday morning?”

“I told Justin I was coming by. He didn’t tell you?”

“Uh no.” Her gaze averted to the ground. She was sure that Justin hadn’t told him about the separation.

“Oh. Hey, this is a sweet ride. Is it yours?”

“Nope it’s Darrien’s.” She said and that’s when the awkwardness set in. It didn’t matter that she hadn’t seen Andrew in months and before then only a few times a year, since he moved to Pittsburgh five years ago. Yet, their reunion was only awkward because she mentioned Darrien.

A long time ago, she and Justin agreed not to bring up Darrien whenever Andrew was around. Likewise, they were forbidden to mention Andrew around Darrien. It was all just a big mess.

“Oh how’s she doing?” His gray orbs twinkled and he licked his lips nervously.

“She’s doing well. Doing the hair thing still. She has a good amount of regular clients too.”

“Cool, cool.” Andrew slowly nodded his head and then shoved his hands into his front pockets before continuing, “She has kids yet?”

“Three.” Andrew’s eyes widened. “I told her that she could have mine.” Darnell laughed aloud and watched as Andrew heaved a quiet sigh of relief.

“Oh. Well how is her husband, what’s his face?”

“You mean Calvin?” Darnell smirked, clearly enjoying seeing her cousin-in-law sweat.

“Yeah him.” Andrew spied a nervous glance at his nieces who were playing an exciting game of freeze tag in the front yard. Poor little Jordin was ‘it’.

“Yeah Calvin. How is he?”

“Oh. I don’t know where he is?”

“What you mean?” His jaw stiffened and Darnell sensed that whatever she said had upset him.

“He just up and left her?”

“Well yeah. They’ve been divorced for the last five years. You don’t remember seeing her alone at my wedding?” She put her hands against her ample hips and waited for his reply.

“Um, no. I don’t remember much of your wedding to be honest with you.”

“What!” She moved closer to him, prepared to attack if necessary.

“I know I was Justin’s best man and I’m assuming Darrien was your maid of honor but Justin and I, well just I actually, had gotten so wasted the night before. I can’t remember seeing her there.”

“You did the toast together and you danced with her Drew.”

“I did?” Andrew scratched at his short and sort of prickly, scruffy, dark blonde mane, something he and Justin both did out of frustration whenever they were racking their brains for a memory. “Fuck, I wish I could remember that.”

And he really wished he remembered since that was the last time they saw each other. He wished he remembered what she looked like and what she was wearing. If she was so mad at him, that they hadn’t spoken to each other unless necessary. If as soon as they got a moment alone, she lit into him with three years worth of colorful curse words. Or maybe they had snuck off and shared desperate kisses in a secluded area of the reception hall, that could’ve led to something more. The possibilities were endless. Yet, if only he could remember.

“Do you have that on tape or something?”

“I have to find ours, it kind of got lost when we moved. But um my mother definitely does, you’ll have to get it from her.”

“Oh scratch that. I don’t like your moms.”

“I’m not liking her too much right now either so join the club.” Andrew laughed with her.

“Well, I heard you say you had to go. So I’ll see you when you get back.” He pulled her into a tight hug and ruffled her flat-ironed tresses. “I just had to do that to see if you would get mad because I messed up your hair and you didn’t so there’s still some old Dee in there somewhere.”

“Yeah, just a little.” Darnell smirked and her arms fell to her sides. She watched Andrew walk away and accept eager hugs and kisses from his nieces. She smiled. They loved their one and only Uncle Drew.

Andrew lifted Jordin in the air and balanced her on his hip. “I’m going to take the kids inside. Is Justin up yet?”

“I don’t think so. He didn’t answer when I called before leaving Darrien’s house. You know he sleeps like that’s what he was born to do.”

“Yeah I know.” He paused and it appeared that once again he was choosing his words carefully. “Hey, um, let Darrien know I asked about her.”

“I will.” Darnell assured him as she climbed into the car. She started the engine and closed the car door afterwards. As she drove off all she could think about was how screwed up everyone’s love life was.

Andrew went to knock on the door but it was snatched open before he could do so. A frazzled and disheveled Justin stood before him.

“Hey cuz, was that Dee who just drove off?” Justin peeked over his shoulder at the car making a right at the intersection.

“Yeah she had to go somewhere she said.”

“Where the hell is she going on a Saturday morning? Dee never goes anywhere on a Saturday morning. Mikey did mommy tell you where she was going?”

“Nope.” Michal quickly moved past her father and into the house.

“She knows something. She always, always does.” Justin whispered to Andrew before lifting Jordin out of his arms.

“What’s up mini me?” He could only call her that because she was the only one that he could have given birth to himself without Dee’s help and all of the feminine parts.

“Mommy let me get dirty, see.” Her smile was bright as she pointed out a large grass stain.

“Nice.” He put her down and then leaned towards Andrew again. “I can’t ever let her wear that over Victoria’s again. She’d have a bitch fit if she found out that Jordin, the one she’s training to be like her, likes to play in grass. And get this she asked for a video game like Kori’s for Christmas.”

“Watch all of her hard work is going to go to waste because Jordin is going to be a tomboy just like Dee was, hell still is a little bit.”

“No that Dee no longer exists.”

“You sure man?”

“I’m sure.” Justin said more firmly and then focused his attention on Kori, “Hey were you waiting for me to say hi to you?”

“Yeah I like when you say hi to me last.” It made her feel less like the middle child and more like the baby of the family.

Justin laughed and pretended to struggle while lifting her up. “Girl, you’re getting big.”

“I’ll be eight in June daddy.”

“Eight already? I’m getting old.” Justin set her down on the floor and she went to find her sisters. He and Andrew relocated to the living room.

“Nothing’s changed huh.” Andrew noted as he took in the living room that was still only big enough for the essential furniture pieces, which included the huge sectional that Justin convinced Darnell to let him buy a few years ago. Sadly, he had just finished paying it off last year and Darnell had made sure he remembered it every time he objected to something she wanted to purchase.

“Yeah we’re getting there though. I’m still working my two jobs. The photography studio and the UPS part time.” Justin took a seat and Andrew sat nearby.

“What about Dee? Is she working yet? When is her comic book coming out or is it video games that she is designing?”

“You know about that?” Justin blinked.

“Um yeah. Darrien used to talk about her drawings all the time. I heard they were amazing.”

“Oh.” He sulked a little. “I haven’t seen that many of Dee’s drawings only the random cartoon ones and you’re right they are amazing.”

“Darrien said she has tons of drawings of you.”

“So I hear and I haven’t seen one yet.”

“Really?” Andrew eyebrows rose in disbelief. “I mean I haven’t either, but you know-why haven’t you seen them?”

“I don’t know she just hasn’t shown them to me yet. But I have pictures that I haven’t shown her either so-”

“What’s going on with you and Dee?”

“What do you mean?” Damn his cousin and his intuitiveness.

“Something ain’t right and I just picked up on it. Dee didn’t even come in here to speak to you, granted she may have seen you before she left this morning. But she didn’t even tell me you to say anything to you on her behalf. That ain’t like Dee. And you didn’t come outside either. Your horny ass is always trying to get in a couple kisses at least. C’mon tell Cousin Drew what’s the matter Justin.”

Justin frowned, “Hey don’t mock me you ass.”

“Hey don’t mock me you ass.” Andrew in response did just that.

“See, I’m not telling you now.”

“Fine I’ll just get it out of Aunt Lynn.” He pulled his cell phone out.

“No! She doesn’t know.”

Andrew’s thumb halted on the talk button, “Doesn’t know what Justin?”

“That Dee and I are separated.” Justin sighed and flopped against the armrest. He closed his eyes and prepared himself for the brunt of Andrew’s outbursts.

“Separated! What the fuck do you mean separated? What did you do pencil dick?”

“Hey! Do you have ridicule me?”

“What did you do?”

“I don’t know what I did man okay.” Justin gestured aimlessly out of frustration. “We had a fight. She kicked me out. I came back. She pulled a gun on me. And then she moved out and moved in with Darrien. She hasn’t moved back and I haven’t had sex in more than two months.”

“Aww man, how do you survive?”

“One day at a time man, one day at a time.” Justin sighed.

“This is sad. You want me to help you find your old booby magazines in the attic?”

“No! I threw those out years ago. I just want Dee back.”

“Yeah I hear you. You and Dee are old school. Y’all been kicking it for like…you’re 29 right?” Justin nodded, “so for like 12 years now. You can’t just let that shit go man.”

“Oh I won’t. We’ll get back on track trust me.” His persistence and pride seemed to override reality.

“Cool.” Andrew propped his feet up on the coffee table and put away his phone, “So Dee told me that Darrien is divorced now…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So it’s nice to see you again Mrs. Timberlake.”

“Darnell is fine.” Darnell replied dryly to the smirk that graced the face of the young woman, who seemed only a little older than her twenty-eight years.

“Alright Darnell-or is it Dee that you prefer? Your husband calls you Dee.”

“I know…but it’s just Darnell.”

“Oookay then.” Ava flipped to a fresh page in her notepad and crossed her nylon-covered legs, one over the other. “Let’s get started shall we. Wait is your husband attending?”

“No. He isn’t.” A chuckle erupted from Ava in response and then she immediately coughed to hide it.

“Ahem, excuse me. I think I’m coming down with something.” In the spring time? Yeah right, Darnell thought smirking to herself.

“It’s just weird you know. He’s usually here and you’re not. And now you’re here and he’s not.” Darnell didn’t bother to inform Ava that she never told Justin about her spur of the moment decision she made to come to therapy.

She had sucked it up and called her mother for Ava’s phone number. Then she told Ava, who usually did not work on Saturday, that she needed to see her. Initially, Ava pretended not to know who she was and then asked her numerous times if she was really going to show up this time before saying that she would meet her at the office. Darnell hung up and almost decided right there that she was going to cancel. Yet, here she was.

“But anyway, Justin and I were going to go in detail about how the girls are handling the separation but I think we’re going to focus on you today.”

Darnell shrugged, “Whatever works for you.”

“Good. So you and Justin have been married for how many years?”

“Five.”

“Oh, hmm, by the way Justin has been talking about you two I thought you’ve been together a lot longer.”

Darnell sighed. She was bored already, “We have. I’ve known Justin since I was 13.”

“Oh how cute.” Ava’s almost black eyes twinkled. Darnell rolled her eyes. “How old is your oldest daughter?”

“Michal is ten.” And before she could ask, “Kori is seven and Jordin is three.”

“Sounds like a cute little family.”

“Thanks.” Darnell replied to what sounded like sarcasm from Ava. She wasn’t surprised at the woman’s behavior; after all she was in cohorts with her mother.

“So tell me what you think is wrong with your marriage because Justin is convinced that there is nothing wrong and I am convinced that you two have opposing opinions on the subject.”

“I don’t know if it’s something wrong with our marriage exactly. I think it may be just me.”

“So Justin couldn’t be a better husband then. Is that what you are saying?”

“I thought we were going to talk about me?”

“You’re right.” Ava agreed following Darnell’s request. “So what do you think is wrong with you? Are you done with this relationship? Do you want out of this union? Do you think you and Justin have grown apart or maybe you’ve just outgrown him?”

God! Darnell thought, overwhelmed by all of Ava’s questions that were being thrown at her all at once.

Justin had sat through this on more than one occasion? She was surprised that he hadn’t followed her right out the door.

“I don’t think I’ve outgrown him because I’ve been stuck at a standstill for a few years now and I haven’t grown since then honestly.”

“So are you regretting getting married then? Is Justin holding you back from what you want to do? Or maybe your three young children are?”

“No I don’t regret marrying Justin. That would be ridiculous seeing as though we were basically together a decade before we were married. And I even had two children before then. Nothing changed about our relationship when we got married. Except that we had one more child.”

“So, Jordin, she’s the youngest right?” Darnell nodded and folded her arms. “Is she the one that changed everything? Were you fine with the way your life was going before she came along?”

“I wasn’t doing much with my life before she came along. A year before though, I was going to school. It didn’t work out though.” Ava noted a hint of disappointment and even sadness in Darnell’s tone.

“Oh what were you studying if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Um no, I don’t mind.” Darnell actually sat forward in her seat, looking interested in the conversation for the first time. “I was studying Video Game Animation and I dabbled a little bit in Comic Art.”

“Wow interesting. Are you any good?”

Darnell shrugged, “I think so. But I may be the only one.”

“Has Justin seen any of your work?”

“Some of them.”

“Good, good. Well, let’s see what else.” Ava began flipping through her notes. “Justin said something about you and Victoria having some issues.” Darnell raised her brow at the first name basis Ava had with her mother.

“Yeah we have our issues but so does every mother and daughter.”

“True but I’m sensing that yours is more serious. Justin seemed really frustrated with the situation. He believes that it’s causing the problems in your marriage.”

Darnell sucked her teeth, “He’s frustrated because he’s not getting any.”

“He did admit to that.” Ava laughed. “But apparently, she interferes a lot.”

“She does, like with this therapy thing. We didn’t ask her for that. Justin and I didn’t even get to discuss it, yet here we are. She has always been like that though. My sister is actually miserable now because she wasted five years of her life married to a guy and because my mother chose him for her. She wanted someone else but she indulges my mother’s foolishness. I don’t obviously.”

“Interesting. So you avoided therapy just to spite your mother huh?”

“Sure did.” Darnell couldn’t lie about that. “She’s already ran my life enough.”

“What do you mean?”

“Okay well she hasn’t exactly ran my life, not to the extent of Darrien’s anyway, but she doesn’t really give me the support I need, when I need it the most…I don’t want to talk about it.”

Ava saw the tension building in Darnell long before she declined any more discussion about her mother. Darnell’s nostrils flared and her eyes became glossy. This was obviously a very sensitive subject for her.

“Justin says you refuse to talk to him about it too.”

Darnell scoffed, “I didn’t use to. He refused to hear about it any more because it was a recurring thing with us. We were fighting about it all the time. He wanted me to get over it but he doesn’t understand. Not having the support of your mother hurts you know. On top of that every little mistake I make is thrown in my face. And if I make two steps forward towards something I want to do, while everyone else is living it up, something else pushes me back.”

“Are you talking about the school thing falling through?”

Darnell wiped at her eyes, “I don’t want to talk about that today. Can we talk about it another time?”

“Sure.” At least she agreed to a follow-up session. “So Victoria doesn’t agree with your choice of profession?”

“Honestly, she would prefer if I didn’t work at all and she hates that I’m still into video games and comic book as much as I was when I was her tom-boy daughter. She wants me to be a stay at home mom like she was and that’s just not for me. Well, it wasn’t before Jordin came along.”

“So having Jordin made you change your mind?”

“I guess I let my mother convince me that I could’ve been a better mother the first two times, granted I was only eighteen when I had Michal, but the things she was saying were really getting to me.”

“I knew I couldn’t cook and didn’t care much for a spotless house. If my kids got dirty or hurt, I thought they were just being kids but I was criticized for that. Oh and I can’t even do my own daughters hair, Darrien does it, hell she still does mine to this day.” Darnell laughed, cynically.

“She talks a lot about how she wished you favored more of the feminine attire rather than the masculine.”

Darnell scoffed for a second time, “She acts as if my jeans sag below my ass or if I wear button-downs and Timb boots. My clothes were always brought from the girls section when I was younger, just in a size up and that’s because I was self-conscious about my developing body. At thirteen, I was already in a C cup and my hips spread faster than germs in a kindergarten classroom. My mother didn’t see it that way though, she thought I was just being a tom-boy, which I was, but I’m still a woman. Hell, I have three kids to prove it.”

“I’m curious…what did she say when you told her you were pregnant with Michal? Did she flip out because you were still a teenager?”

“Oh no, my father flipped out. He wanted to kill Justin. But my mother, she was ecstatic. She didn’t care that Justin and I, as young as we were, were having very awkward sex and making babies. Trust me; it was very awkward those first few times. We didn’t know what we were doing at all but we were young and in love I guess.” She shrugged but there was a real smile on her face as she remembered.

“But yeah, my mother went overboard with the shopping and enrolling me in Lamaze classes. She went on and on about how she never thought I’d be the one to have the husband and family, even though at that point, Justin and I hadn’t talked about marriage. Finally, I couldn’t take it any more and moved in with my sister and her then-husband, Calvin.”

“So she supported you through that?”

“Yeah she did. She loves her grandchildren, oh but she hates their names. And mine name, oh and Darrien’s as well. She was like; you had to revert to the boy thing again, didn’t you? And I only wanted to keep the tradition of the unisex names that my father started.”

“ Davis is so laid-back.” Ava smiled and Darnell looked at her skeptically.

“I didn’t know you knew my father, but yes, he stays away from confrontation between me and my mother.

“That’s a good tactic. But you and Justin should definitely talk more. You both seem to be doing your own thing. Justin seems not to want to get on your bad side, which could be attributed to fact that you two know so much about each other’s life, so he let’s everything happen as they do without offering much input.”

“That’s exactly right. He didn’t notice that I wasn’t happy until I told him to get out.”

“And he still refuses to accept that his marriage may be over.” The way Ava uttered the words with so much finality made Darnell gulp uncomfortably. She didn’t want to seal the deal on that yet, especially since she promised the girls that there would be no divorce, at least any time soon.

“That’s why I’m here I guess, but I don’t care much for the couple sessions because then I have to worry about saying something that may hurt him and I don’t want to do that. He’s suffering enough without me.”

“Oh he’s heartbroken.” Ava offered, crossing over that barrier of emotional disconnect that she was supposed to maintain with her clients.

Darnell sighed, “Thanks Ava.” And she began to stand.

“Is it time to wrap up already?” She looked at her clock on the mint green wall behind Darnell. “Wow it is. Okay just one more question and then I’ll let you go.”

“Okay.” Darnell agreed but she didn’t return to her seat.

“How are you handling the separation? Are you as miserable as Justin?”

“Deep down inside yeah but things had to change now because if I waited and with where things were heading, by this time next year we would have already been divorce.”

Ava nodded, she could agree to that since most divorces were a result of failed marriages that couldn’t get back on track when hit with one curveball after another. And she couldn’t fault Darnell for doing something about it before it was too late.

“Okay well, you tell Justin to schedule an appointment with me and if you want to attend then please do.”

“Alright, I’ll tell him to call you and I’ll call you whenever.” Darnell slung her purse over her shoulder.

“You have a great weekend.”

“You too.” Darnell offered a small smile before exiting. Although she had already closed the door behind her, Ava’s lips curved into a bright smile.

She was extremely satisfied with today’s session, especially since all of her preconceived notions about Darnell’s lack of commitment to her marriage were now invalid. If anything, today’s session made her appear more committed than Justin, who didn’t really know what to do to fix their problems, but knew without doubt that he wanted to remain married. He loved Dee and wanted her back, but didn’t know how to do that. Next time, they spoke she would have to inform him, that there was nothing he could do to make Darnell come back if he was so sure he did nothing to make her leave, which he was. Darnell would simply have to come back when she was ready.

Still, Ava blushed. She was pulling for these two to make it because she wasn’t looking forward to the bitter divorce she knew would occur if they decided to call it quits.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Darnell set the car keys and her purse on a small table in the entryway before immediately strolling towards her sister’s bedroom. She didn’t bother to knock as she pushed the door open.

Darrien, who was sitting on the edge of her bed with a large bath towel wrapped around her freshly showered frame, whirled around to face her. “Hey! What if I had a man in here?”

“Well, you are sitting there half-naked but I don’t see a man. Is he hiding in the bathroom?” Darnell teased and turned in the direction of the half closed bathroom door.

“Ha! I wish.” Darrien pouted as she smeared a large amount of thick velvety moisturizer on one leg. “But you look drained. Congratulations on your first complete therapy session sweetie.”

Darnell frowned at her sister’s mocking tone and plopped down on the plush king-size, facedown. Darrien laughed softly while patting her sister comfortingly on the back.

“How was it?”

She sulked while propping her head upon a bent arm, “It was just as you said, draining. I went in there thinking that I was going to show my face and not say much. But as soon as she started asking questions about mom, shit just started spilling out. I hope she doesn’t tell mom about how I was blasting her though, they seem really cool.”

“The sessions are supposed to be confidential so let’s hope not.”

Although she was still a bit doubtful, Darnell nodded.

“Oh you’ll never guess what Kori said today?”

“Was it something cute?” Darrien cooed, while spreading moisture on her other leg.

“Hell no!” Darnell cried. Her eyes widened as she remembered the scene and how she wanted to stare at her two daughters with her mouth wide opened.

“Apparently, Michal and Kori betted on how soon I was going to move back into the house. Michal won because she betted that I wasn’t moving back because Justin and I are getting divorce. Can you believe that? How does she know everything? No one told her, and I didn’t think she was old enough to even understand, but apparently I was wrong.”

“Hey, kids are way smarter now than we were at that age and add in the fact that she has mommy’s and Ms. Lynn’s genes floating around inside her, she was born to be nosy.”

“I still feel guilty though, I didn’t want to involve them in our problems this early. Thankfully, Jordin is still clueless to the whole thing. Yet, she asks me every so often when my slumber party at your house will be over.” Darnell smirked with a smile.

“You know why she asks that?” Darnell shook her head. “Because apparently, she sleeps next to Justin every night, well when she’s there, and she claims that she is saving your spot. Isn’t that just the cutest? Aww, I want a baby.” Darrien sulked as she stood up and walked towards her large dresser.

“Hey, my offer is still on the table.”

“I want my own baby, not your bad ass kids!” Darrien teased.

“Fine.” Darnell put her hands on her hips, “Do you at least want to ride with me to go see my bad ass kids? I told them that I would be over when I was finished.”

“Sure. Oh look what I brought from Vicki’s.” She searched through her panty drawer for the brand-new bra and panty set. Finding them, she tossed the set at Darnell.

“Cute.” Darnell murmured while dangling the polka dotted pieces of fabric on her fingertips.

“I know, too bad it’ll probably just stay in my dresser, huh?”

“Don’t speak too soon on that now. Something tells me you might be needing them.”

Darrien spun around on her bare heels. “What are you talking about?”

“Never mind me; I’ll just relax on this beautiful bed until you’re ready.” Her lips twitched as she tried not to grin, “Hurry up and get dress.”

Observing her sister suspiciously, Darrien strolled into the bathroom with her belongings and slowly shut the door.

“She’s going to get my ass for this when she finds out Andrew’s in town.”

~*~*~*~*~

Andrew opened the refrigerator and retrieved one of the several fruit juice boxes from the top shelf. Turning towards Justin, who was sitting at the kitchen counter with a more adult-like bottle of beer, he sipped eagerly on the straw.

“So…exactly how long have you and Dee been separated?”

“Two long months.” Justin groaned, consuming a considerable amount of the bitter drink in one swallow.

“Oh so then you two really separated. Dee cut off everything, huh?”

“Yep.” Justin guzzled down another mouthful.

“So what are you going to do about it?” Andrew asked as he joined Justin at the kitchen counter, peering curiously at him from the other side.

“I was going to marriage counseling.”

“Oh counseling is good.”

“No.” Justin began shaking his head, “You don’t get it. I said I, as in Dee refuses to go with me.” He explained, and lifting the bottle to his mouth, he quickly realized that it was nearly empty, and no more than a swig remained.

He inhaled the last sip and then pushed the now useless bottle aside. Remembering that he had actually stopped liking beer a long time ago, and for reasons he didn’t want to dwell on, his lips twisted into a sneer.

“I wonder where she went this morning though.”

Andrew shrugged, “Maybe she had some errands to run?”

“She did them all during the week. Something else is going on.”

“Maybe you should just ask her. You’re still married so you’re allowed to ask questions.”

“Nah man, I can’t ask Dee if she’s cheating on me.”

“What!” Andrew’s eyes bulged, “She steps out for one Saturday morning to do what she needs to do and you think she’s cheating? I see you’re still kind of stupid when comes to the matters of you and Dee.” He ridiculed Justin further him by throwing his empty juice box at him.

“And seriously when has Dee looked at another guy besides your dorky ass in the last fifteen years?”

“Hey!” Offended, Justin sat forward in his stool. “I’ma say to you the same thing I say to Darrien…I’m 28 years old. I’m no longer dorky, hell I was never dorky, just an awkward little boy, but that awkwardness has never affected my swagger.” He proceeded to puff out his chest.

Andrew shook his head at the spectacle in front of him, “Swagger, psht…yeah right.” He cackled loudly. “But since we’re on the subject of Darrien, she’s really divorced?”

“Yeah I wouldn’t shit you on that. Why, you want her back or something?”

“No, no. I was just wondering how she’s doing. If she’s doing okay because I haven’t spoken to her in forever.”

“Right.” Justin’s lips curved into a knowing grin and a twinkle appear in his gaze, “You know…it’s not wrong to want her back, even though you broke her heart all those years ago.”

“You don’t have to remind me of that!” Andrew snapped.

“Sorrrrry.” Justin held up his hands in defense and then he observed as Andrew stood abruptly and paced the kitchen.

Turning back to Justin, he dragged a hand across his dark blonde locks. “So yeah, Darrien’s not still in love with her ex, is she?” Justin didn’t bother to hide his smile at Andrew’s question.

“I hope not since she’s the one that asked for a divorce.”

“Hmm,” He paused to return to his seat. “Why didn’t they have any kids?” He asked, even though he was secretly relieved that Darrien and her ex did not have children.

“Honestly, I’m sure they tried, but I don’t think Darrien could get pregnant.”

“Oh trust me, she can get pregnant.” The all-telling words rolled off his tongue before he could stop them.

Donning a stunned expression, Justin bolted from his seat, “What the fuck Drew? Did you knock Darrien up? Tell the truth."

“Of course not!” He objected. “You don’t see a kid walking around with these sexy gray eyes do you?”

Justin immediately scoffed, “You dumbass, I mean, back, back in the day. Did you?”

“Did you ever see her pregnant Justin?”

“No.” He thought for a moment, “Well, wait, there was that one time-” Justin began and Andrew’s entire face tensed. “Sike, that was a joke.”

“And it was a bad one too, numb nuts.” His insult was timed perfectly with the ringing of the doorbell.

“Luckily…” Justin flattened his palms against the ceramic countertop surface as he stood. I have to answer that, but I know you haven’t told me the whole truth so we’ll continue this conversation later.”

“Believe whatever you want man.” Andrew uttered and left it at that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Why did you just ring the bell like you don’t live here?”

“I don’t live here.” Darnell retorted and Darrien rolled her eyes.

“You know what I mean. You have a set of keys, you could’ve used them.”

Darnell shrugged, “True, I could’ve.” And then the door opened.

“Hey! It’s Darrien!”

“Why the hell are you yelling?” Darnell’s eyes narrowed as Justin looked over his shoulder into the other room.

Oh, hey Dee.” Justin released a nervous chuckle.

“Damn it’s like that? She gets an ‘it’s Darrien!’ and I get that?” Darnell rolled her eyes and pouted a little.

“Are we just going to stand out here all damn day?” Darrien finally spoke up.

“Sure come on in, Darrien!”

A crash that resembled the breaking of glass sounded from the kitchen. Darrien pushed her way inside.

“Justin, are the kids in the kitchen?”

“Noooo, not the kids.” His eyes drifted to Darnell, trying to give her a hint of some kind.

‘Is he still here?’ She mouthed and Justin nodded vigorously. Darnell huffed, while silently wishing that she had just dropped Darrien off and instantly peeled away from the curb. She gave the idea serious thought before fully stepping inside the house and closing the door.

“So… Dee, where did you go this morning?” Justin’s question was met with dead silence as Andrew entered the room with a nonchalant swagger and a broom at his side.

“Sorry, I dropped a glass but it’s all cleaned up.” His eyes followed Justin’s, “Oh, hey Darrien. What’s up?” His casual greeting and relaxed smile clashed against Darrien’s wide eyes and startled expression. She coughed away her surprise and blinked when she realized that all eyes were on her.

Darnell and Justin huddled by the door, gawking while anticipating her reaction. Meanwhile, Andrew thrust his hands into his pockets, a nervous gesture that she was very familiar with.

“Hey Drew.” Darrien finally uttered and both Justin and Darnell visibly relaxed, “What’s up with you?”

He shrugged, “I’m cool.”

“Good, good.” She nodded with a gaze void of expression and then focused on her sister. It was only then that something very close to fury appeared in her glare. “ Dee, can I speak to you for a minute, alone, upstairs?” Darrien turned and led the way. Darnell, who had been anticipating the request, trailed after her.

“You think she was happy to see me?” Andrew asked as soon as they were alone.

Justin shrugged, “She didn’t yell, slap, or curse at you…so yeah, I guess we can say she was happy to see you.”

“Yeah, mmm, she looked good, didn’t she?” He whispered and then a confident grin enhanced his handsome features, “But did you see how shocked she was? She still wants me man.”

“Drew…you’re still an ass, you know that?”

“Yeah I know.”

Chapter End Notes:
I know we'll be getting some questions about what really happened with Darrien and Andrew so we'll clear those up in the future. The next chapter will be in the past, so we'll look forward to typing that. Finally, Dee went to a therapy session, but what about when Justin finds out she went without him....Until then.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story